• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-TV photos of Resident Evil in 240p

fart town usa

Gold Member
Oh yeah baby, that sync pulse running down the screen due to a slight mismatch between CRT and camera refresh rates :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:
lol, right. Tried my best to figure out a shutter speed but couldn't get it better than that. It makes for an awesome effect though.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think that might be because of how small the display is. It's essentially the same thing as taking a 1080p 24 inch display and playing a 320x240 game at 1x scale in the middle of it. If you blow that picture up to fullscreen it's going to look worse but a lot of that is from essentially zooming in the pixels in a way that you can't do with the small CRT. Some of those broadcast professional CRTs are super tiny. Like 8" or so. Helps keep things looking sharp but in a fairly uncomfortable window size.

For me the holy grail in the future is going to be something like MicroLED which has all the benefits of OLED (per pixel illumination for infinite contrast ratio, flawless viewing angles, no backlight bleed etc) but none of the drawbacks (burn in, poor brightness.) Imagine a MicroLED display with the following dream specs:

• 8k resolution
• 960hz internal refresh rate (for taking a 60hz real signal from your computer and turning it into a rolling scanline with 1ms updates)
• 12 bit color
• 2000 nits or more sustained in full persistence mode, 200 nits or more in rolling scanline mode

With that caliber display, you'd have the perfect tool for both modern HD content with HDR and super high resolution, but you'd also be able to replicate the retro CRT look flawlessly with enough pixels to accurately draw a detailed slot mask and deconvergence along with rolling scanlines for buttery smooth motion clarity. I hope I live long enough to see such a display come to market, even if I can't afford it just knowing it's out there would make me happy.
Alright, you clearly know what you're talking about and I am clueless about modern TVs. I'm still rocking my Panasonic Plasma from 2012.

My question for you: What modern TV is an equivalent of a top-tier Panasonic Plasma? I want to upgrade at some point but honestly don't know what the high-end model/brand is.

I'd really appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of what I should be shopping for.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not as far off from the Remake as people make it seem. There’s a lot of detail present.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF
Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

Alright, you clearly know what you're talking about and I am clueless about modern TVs. I'm still rocking my Panasonic Plasma from 2012.

My question for you: What modern TV is an equivalent of a top-tier Panasonic Plasma? I want to upgrade at some point but honestly don't know what the high-end model/brand is.

I'd really appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of what I should be shopping for.
As of right now the closest thing is OLED. The catch is, OLED has limitations mostly brightness and color saturation. I would keep an eye out for QD-OLED screens to show some major improvements over the next year or two and then that will be the time to upgrade because MicroLED is a loooong way off in the distance. A high quality QD-OLED should last you until then.

fart town usa

Gold Member
As of right now the closest thing is OLED. The catch is, OLED has limitations mostly brightness and color saturation. I would keep an eye out for QD-OLED screens to show some major improvements over the next year or two and then that will be the time to upgrade because MicroLED is a loooong way off in the distance. A high quality QD-OLED should last you until then.
Appreciate it.

Capcom needs to hurry up and officially release the classic (1996) version of RE1 for PC. With achievements and everything.

Allow a high resolution version (kind of like the one you could play on PC today with the REbirth patch), and a low/PS1 resolution mode like the one fart town usa fart town usa is showing off in this thread.

Capcom. Are you listening? I literally want to give you my money!!

EDIT: I seriously love this game. Pretty much everything about it. I speed run it several times a year for fun.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
1Capcom needs to hurry up and officially release the classic (1996) version of RE1 for PC. With achievements and everything.

Allow a high resolution version (kind of like the one you could play on PC today with the REbirth patch), and a low/PS1 resolution mode like the one fart town usa fart town usa is showing off in this thread.

Capcom. Are you listening? I literally want to give you my money!!

EDIT: I seriously love this game. Pretty much everything about it. I speed run it several times a year for fun.
Yea, it's weird that Capcom has never released the original version and always goes for the DC version. It'd be so easy to market and people would buy it. WE ALWAYS DO! lol

Same applies with the original Code Veronica, I'd love to play that version again.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Broken Shotgun Route Cutscene w/ Barry. I always go the broken shotgun route, I feel like it's the more canon route due to the extra scenes you get with barry.

Was messing with the settings on my ancient capture device. Still looks better on the CRT but I like this look. It doesn't seem like it captures each frame of animation though, some kind of tracing thing going on with certain animations.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why the hell do you have only one image of Barry, and why is it so dark you can hardly see him?

The entire thread should be filled of low res images of every scene he appears in.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Why the hell do you have only one image of Barry, and why is it so dark you can hardly see him?

The entire thread should be filled of low res images of every scene he appears in.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

I tweak the video settings to make it darker. Some areas are relatively dark but I honestly feel like that's the way the game was designed to look. The pre-rendered backgrounds have a lot of fake lighting/shadows going on and I feel like tweaking the settings pulls that element out and adds to the atmosphere. For instance, in the room outside Yawn (the snake), there's a candle stick you need to light in order to see what's in the hidden cabinet. If you have the video settings adjusted, you can't really see that it's a cabinet. Helps to make sense why Jill would need the room lit. If you go in there with blown out video settings, you'll see the cabinet and it doesn't really make sense why Jill would need to light a candle to see.

Just my personal preference that resulted from playing the game countless times. Gives the game a different vibe.

I like the scenes with Barry more in the original game than I do in REmake.

(Though I do like that one scene in REmake where Jill does a sweet quick move and takes Barry's gun, that happens right before the Lisa Trevor fight I think.)

fart town usa

Gold Member
I like the scenes with Barry more in the original game than I do in REmake.

(Though I do like that one scene in REmake where Jill does a sweet quick move and takes Barry's gun, that happens right before the Lisa Trevor fight I think.)
Same. I like that scene too.

My main issue with Barry in Remake is that he loses his goofy lovable nature. He kind of comes off as a jerk. Revelations 2 did such a great job with taking the character from the OG game and expanding on it. Such an awesome portrayal of Barry. Captured the vibe in OG artwork too. He does look a bit sinister in the Left image but I have to assume that was intentional.

latest
d9tyutc-70742dc9-355f-47c7-9e15-1c8b802da25d.png

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Stumbled on this, recent upload too.

I effing love it when people take the time to do obscure videos like this. Sega Saturn RE, full off-screen capture (S-Cart RGB on a CRT). I need to figure out how to get my camera to sync up with my CRT's refresh rate. I'm more interested in capturing retro footage that way than I am with an actual capture device.

MarkyG

I'm with you OP. One of my favorite games of all time, a game I've played through numerous times, and I have so many fond memories of it from my childhood.

PNbHBmW.jpg
This takes me back. I had a PAL PlayStation but used the disc swap method to play NTSC imports (cost me a fortune back in the day!). This was ,and still is, an amazing game. I became obsessed with it to the point of paying over £100 to get the Japanese import (Biohazard) to see the uncut content. Back in the day when PAL was a thing with the horizontal black bars and 50hz. I played the PAL version of RE at a friend's house and was immediately turned off it after being used to the 60hz version and full screen. Everything looked all squished and felt floaty. Still one of my all time favourite games.

Top Bottom