• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem: Resident Evil 9 is the biggest and most expensive game of the series

Draugoth

Gold Member
resize

Dusk Golem’s findings were shared on Reddit by Talesofus, and point to Resident Evil 9 being a “closing chapter to the current ‘arc’ of the series.”They apparently went on to say it’ll have the;

“biggest budget & longest development time of any RE game to date” and is considered by Capcom to be a chance to “move onto new story arcs and focuses” and “take the series in new directions.” They rounded off the leaks by saying “RE9 is [sort of] both a closing [and] beginning chapter for things in Capcom's eyes.”
There’s currently no word on when Resident Evil 9 is expected to launch, though an announcement is likely to pop up sometime next year.

Via GamingBible

Caffeine

doesnt make sense considering they said the winters story is done with 8. so the arc is pretty much done. unless they really want to go after the last guy in the connections who is barely even mentioned. we even blew up the origin of the mold. what the hell else is there.

Valt7786

Please be 3rd person
It will be, there's a reason the Village DLC was 3rd person. They know it's the better viewpoint for these games.
Tbh, I'm convinced 7 was only first person because A: It was a VR showcase title originally and B : It was only called Resident Evil late into development when they thought it could add some extra sales to it. Hence why Chris looked completely different etc, was never meant to be him in the first place.
And so, they made Ethan into the "Everyman player" type of character so keeping village 1st person made sense.

I don't really care for the first-person R.E. games in general, but I'll say I thought 7 was pretty well done considering and I'm happy that Capcom has given the series and it's history the attention it deserves. I hope they go back to 3rd person moving forward, but I'm glad to see that the quality has been pretty sufficient all around. They just really need to announce that Dino Crisis remake. If they gave DC the same love they gave RE4...Wowee, would be an amazing time.

JMarcell

RE8 was really disappointing and all over the place despite the promising early hours. It really left me a sour taste and went all downhill after the Beneviento House (but the castle was already not as good as I had hoped).

I am very cautious about this follow up as a result

I did'nt like the game either. Too much of a departure from the origin of the series for my taste. It seems they'll keep in the same direction tho, so I'll not even buy the next game.

Well, yeah I kind of assumed it would be bigger and thus cost more money. It’s a sequel to a major AAA series. They gotta work hard to compete.

It’s like literally how every sequel is made. Don’t really see how this is newsworthy 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I can believe it, Capcom is definitely on that upswing again which is great to see. I'm just really curious to see how it will all pan out. I liked Village enough, but I've enjoyed the remakes a lot more.

SkylineRKR

Village was very good, as was VII. Where VII had higher highs, it also had lower lows. Village stayed consistent throughout.

But after playing 2, 3 and 4 remakes I can't help to feel I like all of them more. And they're also more replayable. Village shows how boring its combat actually is with its Mercs mode. RE4 Mercs on the other hand is golden. Shadow of Rose was mediocre while the Separate Ways expansion was glorious.

I think I want a remake of 5. Think about it, with updated controls and more atmospheric backdrops it could be one hell of a co-op game.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Since I'm drifting far and far away from actually getting a PSVR2, I think I'll binge RE8 at some point now.

Skipped it for PSVR2, since I loved playing RE7 on VR, but I don't I'll buy PSVR2 this time around.

Elysium44

Banned
Hopefully a much bigger focus on early RE series characters, and keep them look young and good looking.

Yes please. The last good original RE game was Revelations 2, now eight years ago. Since then we've had games I consider Resident Evil in name only (7 and 8) and remakes.

MacReady13

I honestly have very little love for Resi 7 even though it started off great. Resi 8 is one of the most disappointing games I've played in a long while. Some parts of it were amazing, yet others were awful. Capcom coming off of Resi 4 remake showing what Resi games are truly capable of, why not stick to that formula and go from there?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
resize

Dusk Golem’s findings were shared on Reddit by Talesofus, and point to Resident Evil 9 being a “closing chapter to the current ‘arc’ of the series.”They apparently went on to say it’ll have the;

There’s currently no word on when Resident Evil 9 is expected to launch, though an announcement is likely to pop up sometime next year.

Via GamingBible

This makes me a little nervous, actually. The "bigger" these games got the worst they became (look at RE6). And frankly scaling way back with RE7 is what brought this franchise back to greatness.

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
The castle and house were amazing, but everything after that was a chore and I just wanted it to end. I had the same problem with re7. Everything from the car ride up to the point where you get knocked out by the dad was great, but shortly after I checked out.

RE6 was an absolute slog to play and so ridiculously overambitious it is almost funny to think about, but it also had so much soul and memorable characters and classic RE cheese that I really miss it.

I wish they would release a Director's Cut version that cut the length of each chapter by 50%, it would be a much better game for it.

As long as they don't repeat a RE6 situation. The game needs to be focused from beginning to end, without bullshit of separated campaigns and whatnot.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
How credible is Dusk anyway by now? Remember his RE3 leaks being VASTLY different than the end product.

Last edited:
I just hope that whatever RE9 is, it maintains consistency from start to finish.

RE7 and RE8, RE7 in particular, both start sliding downhill at the halfway point.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Oh boy, that doesn't sound very reassuring. Didn't they say the same about RE6 before that game came out?

I'd rather not see this series devolve into action-filled, all-star reunion tour with the whole gang type of nonsense again.

Madflavor

Not that I think this would be a popular idea, but I actually think it'd be pretty based if RE9 was made in the style of Metal Gear Solid 4. Obviously not with the insanely unbalanced ratio of cutscenes and actual gameplay, but that idea of splitting the game up into Chapters, with each Chapter representing a past entry in the series, would be pretty sick if done right. It should be one protagonist, in this case an Old Man Chris would be ideal, and each chapter he's allied with one of the other major RE characters as secondary characters.

IAmRei

Village was very good, as was VII. Where VII had higher highs, it also had lower lows. Village stayed consistent throughout.

But after playing 2, 3 and 4 remakes I can't help to feel I like all of them more. And they're also more replayable. Village shows how boring its combat actually is with its Mercs mode. RE4 Mercs on the other hand is golden. Shadow of Rose was mediocre while the Separate Ways expansion was glorious.

I think I want a remake of 5. Think about it, with updated controls and more atmospheric backdrops it could be one hell of a co-op game.
This, i want 5R too!

Astral Dog

He is been saying this for awhile, and i wonder what RE9 is gonna be like,but it still sounds like vague nonsense

Resident Evil already entered a new arc in REVII-REVIII, the Wesker/Umbrella saga is over,there have been a few narrative threads left open like the Connections and BSAA stuff like that but the series is no stranger to leave hints

unless he means the closing off of Chris Redfield, Leon Kennedy and other iconic characters to move into something completely new, i would be ok with that since they rely too heavily on them,but im not sure if thats what he means here 🤷🏻‍♂️

Since the RE7 storyline isn't completely over i was hoping to see the Connections properly fleshed out, they left too many hints in the 'lore' and ties to old Umbrella to not do anything with them but thats the only thing i was curious about

Gameplay wise,i thought a third first person game was a possibility but who knows

Top Bottom