• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NX Gamer] The Best Graphics/Technology of 2020 - The end of an Era.

Boss Mog

TLOU2 is gorgeous, no doubt. Can't wait to play my NG+ run whenever the PS5 patch/upgrade drops.
Yeah that's looking less and less likely with ND not even announcing anything while SP had a GoT PS5 patch out at system launch. A patch to unlock framerate is something they could probably do in a day. My guess is that they want to sell you a remaster like they did last gen. Hopefully it'll have a lot of reworked assets and improvements like Spider-man Remastered and be worth it but it still kinda sucks that they most likely won't patch the PS4 version for PS5.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
No it doesn't. In what world is Cyberpunk on a high-end PC not at least top 2 best looking games out right now? Unless hes talking about on consoles?

Also, lol @ Flight Simulator being only #4

Cyberpunk the game with trash Animations, trash physics and the only thing has going from it is "THE RAY Trucing".

Sure looks like the best looking game LMAO

TLOU2 fucks over CP trash any day of any year in record with top tier Animations unmatched to this day. And no, games don´t need Ray Tracing to look great, Nvidia has brainwashed your brains i see lmao.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Like do you really need nxgamer to point out SSAO and say “that’s ssao!”? Why can’t you just use your eyes?
Right.. so using your eyes, what AO solution Naughty Dog used for TLoUII based on these screenshots and videos?

JQVNPzs.png

QTx5pbV.png

kjKenRa.png

IRrahhk.png

yo9mCaQ.png

m6RhqF4.png

d14A7Aw.png

gTFIfY6.png

XHhmWAo.png

XQsPTQk.png

K7hiIuC.png

aVRdfKc.png

eIroJTS.png

Gb5HTKS.png

x7ywkGk.png

m17gmdK.png

MONEvjR.png

BFlRBhQ.png

CvyAMwY.png

1pWnZGa.png

nUBbcRE.png

P1ANOfs.png

EWT1zFC.png

wxPvj3Q.png

N2b4G9A.png

bWLE9t8.png

5n9VKuu.png

WEJKKzQ.png

P5wu1ET.png

wN919sG.png

bMNvtWX.png

AD9QRYZ.png

Kf3LIaB.png

gsc4kLC.png

9BXFQX2.png

8d3ZqTo.png

WhBve3P.png

iyAl8G7.png

bbF6iOo.png

HG5RYJA.png

cZvGBsB.png

mrgwAxI.png

nG0ZdKm.png

2j8NXbY.png

qDQm3LW.png

Just a very few examples, like the way the environment always react to the player:

The ways you can engage with the environment itself:

The already mentioned GI:

The extremely careful way reflections are handled:

The way shadows are displayed on the water surface and lightshafts underwater:

The water itself:

Etc. etc. etc.

Little hint: Naughty Dog were using an artifact-free form of SSAO in 2009, on PS3, with Uncharted 2.

Last edited:
Yeah me too, then the entire list could have been Sony exclusives.

What a joke, 4 out of 7 are Sony exclusives and THREE of those exclusives are ahead of FS2020. CP2077 isn't even on the list. He does deign to include Gears 5 Hivebusters in honorable mentions ................................................. along with Sackboy and Astrobot 🤪🤣🤣:LOL:

Good thing this guy isn't a Sony fanboy according to the GAF's Sony fanboys and the list has TLW's seal of approval so you KNOW it's legit.
So nxgamer, the sony worshipper youtuber pretending he knows what hes talking about basically put every sony game this year on top ? Now thats shocking and not at all predictable.
Reviews list....................

Checks out.

No bias detected.

serious lincoln chafee GIF
No it doesn't. In what world is Cyberpunk on a high-end PC not at least top 2 best looking games out right now? Unless hes talking about on consoles?

Also, lol @ Flight Simulator being only #4
popcorn61c7891734c1cd0f.gif

isoRhythm

Banned
Yeah special mentions to Astros and Sackboy, what a joke. Sonygaf will love it because it's framed just like their gaming experience is as Sony console only gamers.
This is not necessarily a video focused on graphics, it's focused far more on tech. Hell he spent most of the time talking about TLOU2's physics, animations, and details as opposed to just graphics. CP2077 is very pretty but it's barebones when it comes to tech (even GTA4 outstrips it in technical details and physics)

This is not necessarily a video focused on graphics, it's focused far more on tech. Hell he spent most of the time talking about TLOU2's physics, animations, and details as opposed to just graphics. CP2077 is very pretty but it's barebones when it comes to tech (even GTA4 outstrips it in technical details and physics)

The tech in Cyberpunk is some of the most advanced on the market. The actual tech. What this video is, its a sony zealot, fully console focused putting every sony game released this year and calling it a best graphics list. His picks are far more art related than actual graphics prowess, like tlou2 or especially tushima

isoRhythm

Banned
The tech in Cyberpunk is some of the most advanced on the market. The actual tech. What this video is, its a sony zealot, fully console focused putting every sony game released this year and calling it a best graphics list. His picks are far more art related than actual graphics prowess, like tlou2 or especially tushima
His main talking points about TLOU2 were animations, physics, and the tiny details (gore, blood footprints etc). GoT has millions of particles flying around and still looks amazing. Both of these run on mid tier tablet CPUs from 2013. Can you tell me anything CP2077 has going for it other than raytracing?

Meanwhile Cyberpunk can't even beat GTA4 in details

Last edited:
While it’s one of my favourite games of the last few years Ghosts of Tsushima should be no where near any top 5 graphics lists.

It’s the instagram/reality reddit sub in a game. You can definitely get some beautiful screens and even video if you curate your stuff very carefully but it looks like crap a lot of the time. Poor character models, poor lighting especially at night where characters glow, poor materials rendering on a lot stuff making things look flat (but can be good on others), poor animations (admittedly for the sake of making the game fun to play), tons and tons of clipping etc etc. If this was an Xbox game it would get massacred.

Miles Morales is not amazing at times either and another photo mode hero as in game you can easily see what corners have been cut to get raytracing working.

Both are way below Gears or Cyberpunk and I say this as someone that struggles to play more than an hour of Gears 5 as I find it dull as hell.

It’s hard to get a bad screenshot or video of Demon’s Souls or TLOU2 so those I agree with and Flight Sim is doing stuff that few games have attempted in the past.

While it’s one of my favourite games of the last few years Ghosts of Tsushima should be no where near any top 5 graphics lists.

It’s the instagram/reality reddit sub in a game. You can definitely get some beautiful screens and even video if you curate your stuff very carefully but it looks like crap a lot of the time. Poor character models, poor lighting especially at night where characters glow, poor materials rendering on a lot stuff making things look flat (but can be good on others), poor animations (admittedly for the sake of making the game fun to play), tons and tons of clipping etc etc. If this was an Xbox game it would get massacred.

Miles Morales is not amazing at times either and another photo mode hero as in game you can easily see what corners have been cut to get raytracing working.

Both are way below Gears or Cyberpunk and I say this as someone that struggles to play more than an hour of Gears 5 as I find it dull as hell.

It’s hard to get a bad screenshot or video of Demon’s Souls or TLOU2 so those I agree with and Flight Sim is doing stuff that few games have attempted in the past.

Sorry, but neither are “well below” Gears of War (lol) or even Cyberpunk for that matter.

Miles Morales is easily the best looking game on a Sony console period. The enhancements to performance, ray tracing, all of the special effects and animation in that game make it a true superhero movie come to life.

ghost of Tsushima has absolutely gorgeous foliage systems and the animation work fir the combat is superb

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

What a joke, 4 out of 7 are Sony exclusives and THREE of those exclusives are ahead of FS2020. CP2077 isn't even on the list. He does deign to include Gears 5 Hivebusters in honorable mentions ................................................. along with Sackboy and Astrobot 🤪🤣🤣:LOL:

Good thing this guy isn't a Sony fanboy according to the GAF's Sony fanboys and the list has TLW's seal of approval so you KNOW it's legit.

I thought both Death Stranding and Detroit both came out on PC and as a result, both got a GFX increase over PlayStation taking advantage of PC hardware.

regawdless

Banned
Beautiful games on that list. It's an individual choice and there aren't controversial picks in my opinion.

I find the discussion about Cyberpunk vs TLOU2 a bit weird. Like people criticizing CP for it's lacking physics for example, but that's not a criticism that applies to TLOU2. What good physics does TLOU2 have? What destruction physics are on display? It's a very static game but it's supporters don't call it out.

Still, I applaud the devs for what they did with the hardware. It's a great looking game in a controlled static environment. The animations are on another level and the environments are so detailed.

Personally, I find CP incredible and would put it above everything else. Due to its dynamic nature, it's not amazingly looking all the time, of course. No dynamic game does, not every scene can be curated.
But it looks so believable and grounded with stunning dynamic lighting. The textures, architecture, geometry, shadows and the fog are excellent as well. It's one of the few games that look natural and not gamey. And all that on such a huge scale, it's not even comparable to TLOU2. Again, very different games and priorities.

The downplaying regarding Cyberpunks visuals (only talking about high-end PCs) is confusing. Is it in part because of the general negativity surrounding the game? Yeah, it's a shit show and the game has many flaws. But if you've played it for many hours maxed on a PC and then go back to other games... There's something missing.

In Cyberpunk, oftentimes normal scenes in some alley look so great that I just stand there to appreciate it.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I beat tlou2 yesterday for the 4th time but on permadeath and on ps5.

All around, the game gives me an Immersive feeling when I'm playing that simply is not matched by any other games I can think of. I mean the cut scene to gameplay transitions are superb, audio is amazing, voice acting is amazing, character models look and act animate more real than anything else I've seen on my console.

I do think that there's some blemishes in tbe graphics near the end, you could tell it was held back by ps4 hardware and so that is why I can't wait for a ps5 Remaster. I have a huge idea that they're really taking their time with the remaster implementing all the bells and whistles needed.. oh my God they even made good use of the standard rumble, can't wait to see what they do with the dualsense.

At the end of the day, tlou2 provided me with a 20+ hour linear experience that never failed to make each part of the game extremely unique in terms of the sounds, looks and feel. It's like demon's souls at this point where I can very specifically remember so many standout levels.

In terms of animations they're very contextual at times and honestly pretty dynamic with the ai allowing for things to appear to play out differently or feel more fresh than the traditional.

Cyberpunk I played on my ps5 for a bit until I deleted it and it really has a great art style and architecture but at the end of the day I didn't really find it immersive like tlou2. Like in terms of blending all the systems together with ai, animations, sound, etc.. it doesn't flow as good as it possibly could. I didn't play it on a pc maybe it's different on there but I think it makes sense tlou2 was rewarded with this considering it squeezed this all out to almost perfection on a 2013 piece of technology. Whereas Cyberpunk is a dumpster fire on..

Can't wait for that ps5 tlou2 remaster, really. And I'll gladly pay $70 for it.

Some nice clips I got playing in 1080p on tbe pro

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It can look amazing. I play it maxed out on 3080 4k balanced DLSS, psycho rt and locked 30fps for stability.... The game is so uneven. It can look gorgeous in 1 area and super flat or broken in another. It does deserve a spot at least in the back of the list.

regawdless

Banned
but I think it makes sense tlou2 was rewarded with this considering it squeezed this all out to almost perfection on a 2013 piece of technology. Whereas Cyberpunk is a dumpster fire on..

Yeah, I think CP kinda "outgrew" last gen consoles and hardware. It's incredible what TLOU2 does on PS4, but keep in mind that it has been developed from the beginning with that exact HW in mind, designed accordingly to its limitations. By one of the, if not the, most talented studio in the world currently. And they've done an amazing job.
While CP obviously wasn't willing to cut back on their vision. Making the current console versions so gimped that it's a real shame.

CP has a completely different scale, with all the verticality, no loading times going into buildings etc. But it really is only impressive on high-end hardware, it doesn't downscale well. I wouldn't want to touch the console versions tbh.
Therefore it's difficult to rank CP as a game that only really shines on the highest end HW, while looking average on anything else.

Caio

When a 1,84 TF Console can produce the level of graphics/animations of the Last of Us Part II, the comments of some PC zealots ""Console are not competitive) become even more ridiculous and senseless. And we didn't see yet a second generation exclusive Game on PS5, like for example God of War Ragnarok.

regawdless

Banned
When a 1,84 TF Console can produce the level of graphics/animations of the Last of Us Part II, the comments of some PC zealots ""Console are not competitive) become even more ridiculous and senseless. And we didn't see yet a second generation exclusive Game on PS5, like for example God of War Ragnarok.

As everything in life, it's not black and white. Consoles aren't competitive regarding raw performance, at least not with high midrange and above PCs. Which is obvious given the prices. But consoles absolutely crush anything in their price range and significantly above it.

But what you referring to, TLOU2, is an exclusive that has so much budget and talent behind, it's incredible. There isn't any equivalent on PC. And to be fair, industry wide. It speaks more to their talent then to the hardware, tbh.
It's not a case of console games not looking good.
But just imagine how well TLOU2 could run and look on a PC that's multiple times more powerful than the old consoles. It's a case of much more being possible.

TLOU2 has to be the most overrated game graphically. It doesn't look better than Miles Morales or Demon's Souls at all. Two things it has going for it are character animations and models. Both can be partly explained by the fact it's no open world, so more time to focus on individual characters like in Uncharted.

The rest is unimpressive and I find myself raising an eyebrow at every screenshot I see of it. Where are these amazing graphics people keep speaking of? I have it on PS4 Pro, I saw it in videos, I saw screenshots, but I'm still looking.

Unlike DF, @NXGamer’s list is correctly labelled to reflect the content. This isn’t a best graphics list. It’s a best graphics tech list, or most impressive graphics tech list.

So TLOU2 being above other games only means it’s the most impressive tech-wise, based on both the graphical features employed as well as taking into account the hardware needed to run it.

That’s why I agree so strongly with this list as opposed to DF’s. DF labelled theirs as a best graphics list, yet the content really reflects a “notable graphics tech” list with a real bias towards RT. CP2077’s inclusion demonstrates this, as a game that is so choc full of bugs and yet is so badly optimised that it needs the highest perf bracket PC to run at all is positively the furthest thing from anything that can or should be considered “technically impressive”... but hey... it’s got RT, so Alex gets to stroke himself.

Shmunter

Yeah that's looking less and less likely with ND not even announcing anything while SP had a GoT PS5 patch out at system launch. A patch to unlock framerate is something they could probably do in a day. My guess is that they want to sell you a remaster like they did last gen. Hopefully it'll have a lot of reworked assets and improvements like Spider-man Remastered and be worth it but it still kinda sucks that they most likely won't patch the PS4 version for PS5.
Yeah it fucking blows and is scummy. Let new users get a PS5 game, let the rest of us improve our current game.

geordiemp

You are not debating why he has chosen those games and the graphics technology.

Just gone in with a low effort ad hominem attack and sarcasm. Poor .

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Pleasantly surprised he went with TLOU2! The game is deserving of all the accolades.

Completely agree with his assessment of Cyberpunk also.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I think they will do something (whether that be for free or not) when the multiplayer drops.

Caio

As everything in life, it's not black and white. Consoles aren't competitive regarding raw performance, at least not with high midrange and above PCs. Which is obvious given the prices. But consoles absolutely crush anything in their price range and significantly above it.

But what you referring to, TLOU2, is an exclusive that has so much budget and talent behind, it's incredible. There isn't any equivalent on PC. And to be fair, industry wide. It speaks more to their talent then to the hardware, tbh.
It's not a case of console games not looking good.
But just imagine how well TLOU2 could run and look on a PC that's multiple times more powerful than the old consoles. It's a case of much more being possible.

Yep.
I do care about the final results, and if PS4 can produce The Last of Us Part II, I'm more than happy. We all know that if Naughty Dog could theoretically develop with the best PC in mind(and exclusively for it), built over an RTX 4090, they could deliver film like graphics and shock the world, but this will never happen. So basicly all that power just stay on paper, it's a big waste if you ask me. Sure you put your multiplat at max settings, Ray tracing, etc, but nobody will ever take full advantage of the best PC hardware. So what ""competitive" means ? For me ""competitive"" is the final results, the Games, so Consoles are very competitive if you look forward to the best exclusive games.

regawdless

Banned
Yep.
I do care about the final results, and if PS4 can produce The Last of Us Part II, I'm more than happy. We all know that if Naughty Dog could theoretically develop with the best PC in mind(and exclusively for it), built over an RTX 4090, they could deliver film like graphics and shock the world, but this will never happen. So basicly all that power just stay on paper, it's a big waste if you ask me. Sure you put your multiplat at max settings, Ray tracing, etc, but nobody will ever take full advantage of the best PC hardware. So what ""competitive" means ? For me ""competitive"" is the final results, the Games, so Consoles are very competitive if you look forward to the best exclusive games.

Jep. That's why I'll buy a PS5 as an addition to my high-end PC. The exclusives are great.
But after like 4 years into every gen, you can see the PC pushing ahead significantly, at least in multiplats. Exclusives can hide that gap a lot better because there is no direct comparison possible and they are tuned to the respective console.

Caio

Jep. That's why I'll buy a PS5 as an addition to my high-end PC. The exclusives are great.
But after like 4 years into every gen, you can see the PC pushing ahead significantly, at least in multiplats. Exclusives can hide that gap a lot better because there is no direct comparison possible and they are tuned to the respective console.

Yeah, sure High End PC is the best way to play multiplat games, and if you also play the best exclusive games on Consoles, you get the best from both worlds. I almost never played games on PC, even though I'm somehow fascinated by these insanely powerful Nvidia GPU. Would be great if we could have the eqivalent of Crysis nowdays, with very high minimum requirements, but I don't see it feasible :)

regawdless

Banned
Yeah, sure High End PC is the best way to play multiplat games, and if you also play the best exclusive games on Consoles, you get the best from both worlds. I almost never played games on PC, even though I'm somehow fascinated by these insanely powerful Nvidia GPU. Would be great if we could have the eqivalent of Crysis nowdays, with very high minimum requirements, but I don't see it feasible :)

I also enjoy PCs for the customization through reshade for example, like removing the piss filter from RE2 Remake. Made it look so much better.
But bang for the buck, consoles are just unmatched. And due to the mass market appeal, big budget exclusives are possible that are not feasible on other platforms.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of Demons Souls visuals and am tempted to buy a PS5 just for it. Love the look of that game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It's so obvious teardown is a technical idea with gameplay slapped on..
it's a bad game not worth your time

no not even for the so called physics..
they also SUCK

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

dunno if it's your first time ever playing a voxel game but this gets old REALLY fast.
when i tried to bring down a house and it magically stayed floating because of 1 small block the illusion was gone

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

dunno if it's your first time ever playing a voxel game but this gets old REALLY fast.
when i tried to bring down a house and it magically stayed floating because of 1 small block the illusion was gone
Sooo, its not fun just because of that?

NXGamer

Theres nothing to proove. All of them are just youtubers, random people with a passion for tech. Not one of them works in the field or had education or has intimate acces to a specific games development, outside of DF ocassional interviews. What youre getting is the average joe using generalist terms and trying to sound like he knows what hes saying after eye "analysing" a game. And in regards to nxgamer, this is no surprise. The guy is felating sony day in day out. His "list" is basically just writing every sony game of the year and saying he made the best graphics list
I am going to pick you as your are clearly immature with your choice of words. You have no idea on my experience or background but I have been a Programmer for over 25 years, I have written by own basic games, rendering work, Animation and much more.

My field I work in is commercial so I have a HUGE amount of experience understanding a target, designing the solution, creating, testing, re-working, deploying and supporting in the real world on massive teams across the globe and multi-discipline. Writing the code, triaging, managing and even architecting and delivering workstreams I am very comfortable with my applied and real knowledge of how all this works and have the scars to prove it.

What does any of this mean then, nothing. My opinion is based on fact but you are happy to disagree as is anyone, just like they can with you. The basis of how this all works though is discussion and then knowledge and experience enables the points to be detailed and explained/argued. Discourse is good, healthy, vital even, hurling insults or silly comments based on little to no knowledge only highlights the lack of any content or meaning aside "hmm feelings".

So let's take this and use it as the basis for a discussion on the list and contents.

I will start by explaining WHAT the list first and foremost is, Technical/Artistic/Graphical elements COMBINED.

Then I weight these up based on the amount of each of these they have and how difficult, exhaustive, expensive, creative and or impressive they are.

So for Flight Sim (I see this is one that angered people) as I said on a sheer graphical front it is exceptional, which I think I did a good job of detailing in the video so I will not repeat, HOWEVER, on a sheer engine implementation and game content POV (which this list is recall) it cuts many corners to achieve that and can feel like an Alpha at points, some examples:-

- No modelling of crashes or any real interaction of the planes.
- Limited human and detailed objects aside exquisite assets, lighting, clouds etc.
- No real gameplay over take-off, gear, landing.
- It does not have to deal with any AI, animation rigging, path finding, branching elements, collision even for the most part.

Based on the above it has a light level of content outside the exceptional GEO-Mapped data and stunning graphics, Ray Tracing may be a nice addition or having a Red Arrows demo section or fighter Pilot mode etc etc. From it scored higher than most on the GRAPHICAL element but lower on the others, hence fell behind the other 3.

Why did TLOU2 win (remember this list is about the technical aspects NOT how anyone may "feel" about the game/story or such), well from the same elements it does the most with arguably the least, so it scored higher on those levels. As a sum of its constituent parts it scored higher, IN MY OPINION, based on all these areas than anything else I played this year.
- Graphics are incredible and consistent which is a HUGE amount of effort and work.
- Lighting is sublime with excellent improvements over previous games as in GI bounces, Ambient Occlusion, Foliage density, Material Quality
- Character models are industry leading and portray so much life and nuance both in and out of gameplay
- Animation is top tier with so much weight, grace, dynamism and punch that really improves your enjoyment and IMPACT of the gameplay.
- AI and gameplay is varied, realistic and above all else fun.

Combine all these and it has so many high points that even though it scores lower in some that others, it blew me away time and time again on what was in the game and how much is in the game. But it also did this on a 2011 level piece of hardware in 2020 and it can fool many at times it is not possible. Smoke, mirrors, cheats, tricks aside (which games are all based on) the level of technical achievement and excellence on display here is simply the best of what I have seen/played.

I mention the game-play as the technical elements ADD and ENHANCE that as these are all parts of the list where as STORY is not, games never had stories and for THIS list they are ignored aside the conversation on the games aims (i.e. GoT romanticised art design for Samurai/Tsushima island).

So based on my opinion I am more than happy, welcome any discussion on what you think deserved the best place and the 'REASONS' why it did, argue your point, pull apart mine, brings some data, facts not silly insults and pathetic lemming mentality as we see so often. Do not appeal to authority, believe your mind and tell us why your 'Opinion' is better?

Rikkori

Why can't the guy just have his own opinion? Y'all are mad because you give his opinion so much value & want it to match yours.

If he had a 3090 I'm sure he'd have been more impressed with CP2077 but I don't mind - it's still an easy #1 in my book. I would never in a million years put console games with fov of 35 like GoT on any graphical list because to me that makes them unplayable but so what - everyone should judge for themselves. 🤷‍♂️

Caio

I also enjoy PCs for the customization through reshade for example, like removing the piss filter from RE2 Remake. Made it look so much better.
But bang for the buck, consoles are just unmatched. And due to the mass market appeal, big budget exclusives are possible that are not feasible on other platforms.
Personally, I'm a huge fan of Demons Souls visuals and am tempted to buy a PS5 just for it. Love the look of that game.
I'm expecting amazing exclusives from PS5, Demon's souls is just the very beginning. You can't go wrong with High-End PC + PS5, you are the king of gaming :messenger_winking:

Guilty_AI

I will start by explaining WHAT the list first and foremost is, Technical/Artistic/Graphical elements COMBINED.

Then I weight these up based on the amount of each of these they have and how difficult, exhaustive, expensive, creative and or impressive they are.

So for Flight Sim (I see this is one that angered people) as I said on a sheer graphical front it is exceptional, which I think I did a good job of detailing in the video so I will not repeat, HOWEVER, on a sheer engine implementation and game content POV (which this list is recall) it cuts many corners to achieve that and can feel like an Alpha at points, some examples:-

- Limited human and detailed objects aside exquisite assets, lighting, clouds etc.
- It does not have to deal with any AI, animation rigging, path finding, branching elements, collision even for the most part.

Based on the above it has a light level of content outside the exceptional GEO-Mapped data and stunning graphics, Ray Tracing may be a nice addition or having a Red Arrows demo section or fighter Pilot mode etc etc. From it scored higher than most on the GRAPHICAL element but lower on the others, hence fell behind the other 3.
Sorry but i have to criticize some of your points regarding FS2020

Thats a matter of fact. After "certain famous events" in 2001, MS stopped modeling any sort of more advanced crashing system for their flight sims.
Like with racing sims Its just an unnecessary expense for the type of game it is, can cause copyright issues with the brands that make the vehicles and in this case even create uncalled controversy.
You'll see that even flight sims that do implement some sort of crashing and damage model, like X-plane 11, do so in very simplistic manners. Perhaps the only exception for this rule would be combat flight sims, in which case a damage model is definitely necessary.

Although individual objects aside from the plane aren't that detailed, you do have to take in consideration that the amount of objects on a single scene is absolutely insane.
Fly over Paris or New York and you'll be seeing hundreds of thousands of buildings and trees for dozens - hundreds of killometers in a full 360 degree angle.

Thats not true. I don't know how familiar you are with flight sims, but the core of every sim of the sort is navigation. Making flight plans, creating charts, planning your routes, learning procedures, using instruments and radio to get to your objective... if you truly try to simulate a real flight, which is what flight sims set out to do in the first place, you'll find this game (or any good flight sim) to be far deeper and to have a lot more systems in place than you're giving it credit for, definitely way more than just "take-off, gear, landing".
Naturally, its understandable the public unfamiliar with the notion won't see more than just "fly over stuff" in a game like this. And since MS knows this sort of game attracts mainstream attention, they do put in place options that make playing it easy for amateurs.

No, but in compensation it has to calculate far more advanced real time physiscs than what you see in any other game on that list, including enviromental factors such as air pressure and wind. I don't see why that shouldn't be taken into consideration if you're also including things like AI and path finding. Talking about those...

Based on the above it has a light level of content outside the exceptional GEO-Mapped data and stunning graphics
You're definitelly underestimating this aspect of the game. It does far more than just use satellite data to recreate its enviroment.
Like for example, in regions where photogrammetric data isn't available, the game uses learning algorithms and databases to place buildings in their correct places, with their correct shape and height, as well as identify roads to place the moving cars in them.
Real time flight information to create believable air traffic, a weather system that's capable of matching real time weather, radio towers all over the world in their correct places with their specific types of signal... i don't need to tell you the amount of work, research, databases and tech would be necessary for all of this.

TL;DR: I don't think you're giving this game a proper look based on what you said in the video and your post

Last edited:
Top Bottom