• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2020 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - An Amazing Year For Visuals

RoboFu

One of the green rats
LyYw5QI.gif
Anytime at noon in game on a bright ass day. Everything looks flat and washed out.
the game only shines when it’s dark and or wet out which is 90% of the game.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Gold Member
Came into this thread expecting a lot of people being salty because Cyberpunk 2077 rightfully won. Was not disappointed.

recursive

Cant believe black ops is on the list. MW shits all over it in terms of presentation and animations. Technically Warzone is a 2020 release using the MW engine making MW a pick that should easily bump black ops off the list imo.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Came into this thread expecting a lot of people being salty because Cyberpunk 2077 rightfully won. Was not disappointed.
Were you though? I see a couple sort of against it, and that’s it? You seem like you might be the one that’s salty. Or weird post.

unknown.png

Console vs PC with raytracing.

Good lort. That’s generational. The characters in the PC version make me think I should go higher than #3 with my ranking, but I’m not as impressed by the other aspects of the game (they still look amazing).

I really hope the next-gen upgrades retain a good amount of this.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
From what I’ve played my top ones are
1) Cyberpunk (PC)
2) Demons Souls (PS5)
3) Miles Morales (PS5)
4) TLOU2 (PS4)
5) Ori (XB)

FF7R had some great graphics but also some badly done areas too. Also should give a nod to AC:V and RE3 Remake.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry but Cyberpunk only looks really good on a high-end PC. How impressive is it when running on PS4 and Xbox 1S?

That being the case does it actually deserve as much credit as titles that run much better on limited platforms? Hell no, in my opinion.

Implementing effects isn't the hard part in real-time work, the hard part is doing it efficiently and effectively within budget. I'm sorry but the more mature state of ray-tracing API's for Nividia cards, plus their exclusive ML upscaling solution, plus the massive price disparity makes any direct comparison a joke. What it actually is, is basically an advert for RTX GPU's!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What an embarrassment of riches this year. Hard to argue with the list.

I'm going to have to give my vote to Half-Life: Alyx. Perhaps not as technically as impressive as Cyberpunk, but it blew my mind that those visuals were possible in VR and ran as well as they did on my i7 6700k, GTX 1080, and original Oculus Rift. I can't wait to play through it again on my new rig with an RTX 3080 once I get an Index.

BuffNTuff

Banned
Nothing against it but it just look good from far away view... the models are very simple and look very ugly at close view.

So does cyberpunk?

Cyberpunk has some fancy lighting and lots of npc copy and paste but the models in general look like garbage. Lots of last gen games with better models and hair especially.

But there’s so many of them! Even if a toilet bowl is filled with tons of turds rather than a single turd, they’re both still shit.

I feel like cyberpunk gets a free pass because it’s open world + Ray tracing even if the end results still look inferior to something like TLOU2 or Demons Souls, if you were just looking at out of context screens that didn’t signal whether any of them were linear or open world.

ethomaz

Banned
I believe from a technical and graphic showcase my TOP3:

- Cyberpunk 2077 (bugs bugs and bugs but when it get right it looks so gorgeous on PC)
- The Last of Us II (well the graphics and animation are step ahead all others console games)
- Miles Morales (the RT showcase... it really is outstanding when you talk about Ray-tracing graphics)

ethomaz

Banned
So does cyberpunk?

Cyberpunk has some fancy lighting and lots of npc copy and paste but the models in general look like garbage. Lots of last gen games with better models and hair especially.

But there’s so many of them! Even if a toilet bowl is filled with tons of turds rather than a single turd, they’re both still shit.

I feel like cyberpunk gets a free pass because it’s open world + Ray tracing even if the end results still look inferior to something like TLOU2 or Demons Souls, if you were just looking at out of context screens that didn’t signal whether any of them were linear or open world.
I agree but I still think Cuberpunk do way more than others games in terms of graphics... it really has a lot of bugs that makes it not show that high level all the time.

It is still a game I should avoid until mid-late of year.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So?

(Everything looks better on PC, FYI)

Yes, that's the point. What are we supposed to be comparing here, games or platforms?

It means there's nothing exceptional about CDPR's work except when its propped up by its hardware.

It means that its ranking has nothing to do do with software or artistry, its purely about what you can do with a top-end GPU.

That's not interesting, because as you point out everything should look better on PC because its just got more expensive and powerful hardware to utilise the same techniques and API's!
It really has little to do with Cyberpunk's actual merits, whereas a like-for-like comparison (hardware level-wise) shows who's actually pushing the work forwards.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I guess Gears 5 isn't on there because it released in 2019. Still, it looks and runs like a next gen game on Series X. Overall though, good list.

Flight Simulator should be number 1, with Cyberpunk as 2 though.

Last edited:

Heartkiller

I'm not changing shit. The moment you acknowledged that its the exact same on console it made pursuing this with me pointless.
Do whatever you'd like. I don't give a shit if you change it or not. I've already pointed out that it is mislabeled. I wonder why?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Top three should be

Flight Simulator
Cyberpunk 2077
Demon's Souls

And why the fuck is Ghost Of Tsushima or Ori not in top 10 but Minecraft is, no RTX hides the shite graphics that game has 😂

I think Minecraft's RTX implementation is *that* impressive. I was messing around with some of the official Nvidia worlds yesterday and they just look incredible. I'd totally be down for a proper game that looked like it.

puffzor

Banned
Nvidia sending out secret emails to DF warning them to only talk good about games with raytracing. Pathtracing is a neat gimmick but minecraft being on there is a travesty. At least put the gears 5 dlc on there... jesus

My personal top 5 (obviously just of games I played)

1.) Flight Simulator 2020 (PC) - Brings my 5900x and 3080 FE to their knees and god damn is it gorgeous
2.) Cyberpunk 2077 (PC) - mind blowingly gorgeous on my 3080 PC
3.) Demon's Souls (PS5) - best looking console game I have ever played
4.) Spider Man: Remastered/Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) - fidelity mode in each game makes them both look truly next gen
5.) Gears 5: Hivebusters DLC (PC and XsX) (absolutely gorgeous)

Honorable mentions:

Ghost of Tsushima (running on PS5)
TLOU2 (PS4)
Godfall (PS5) (when it isn't stuttering it looks damn nice on PS5)

Mostly agree except I was thinking FS2020 should be #1 and Cyberpunk #2. Also where is Gears 5? That game looks beyond amazing especially on the Series X after essentially a remaster

Gears 5: Hivebuster expansion deserves a mention for sure. Gorgeous

Last edited:

Fake

I guess Gears 5 isn't on there because it released in 2019. Still, it looks and runs like a next gen game on Series X. Overall though, good list.

Don't make much sense to me. Gears 5 is a 2019 game I understand that, BUT also get in 2020 an update for Xbox Series X/PC, just like Minecraft get a version in 2020 to add RTX.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Finally a website that doesn't cater to popularity contest games. FS2020 should have been #2 though. I can't see how Spiderman MM looks better. All the other games are just fluff for me. Amazing that Demon Souls is ranked so far down at the bottom based on all the Sony Warriors crys for absolutely mind-blowing graphics. Doesn't seem so.. in any case, good list.

Sun Blaze

Banned
Finally a website that doesn't cater to popularity contest games. FS2020 should have been #2 though. I can't see how Spiderman MM looks better. All the other games are just fluff for me. Amazing that Demon Souls is ranked so far down at the bottom based on all the Sony Warriors crys for absolutely mind-blowing graphics. Doesn't seem so.. in any case, good list.
You're better than this, man.

I feel Miles Morales is too high on that list. Demon' Souls should be 3rd behind FS2020 and Cyberpunk.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You're better than this, man.

I feel Miles Morales is too high on that list. Demon' Souls should be 3rd behind FS2020 and Cyberpunk.

That scene where you're chasing the rhino dude and riding on his back through the shopping mall was one of the most impressive things I've seen this year, though.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Btw, I’m all for Minecraft RTX being there, despite my distaste for how weighted towards RTX these awards are.

That game plays with light in unprecedented ways. It’s fine where it is, at the bottom of the list, where nobody’s pretending it’s the best looking game of the year, but it is an incredibly notable one. The lighting part is absolutely the future of all videogames.

Top Bottom