• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2020 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - An Amazing Year For Visuals

[Sigma]

What I saw
Playstation-studios-2.gif

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Console looks exactly like PC with raytracing off as he points out in the DF video.

Not quite though, a lot of settings are still turned down even on the next gen versions. Here's an easy tell: the start of the Nomad path on PS5, when you look under the hood you can see the same blocky ass geometry, with the gas cap with like 7 sides. Everything is running at a lower LOD.

Not a bad looking game, even still but the rough edges show.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SM MM says hello.
Maybe CDPR aren't good enough to utilize the PS5 though.

Oh, I expect we're going to get a toned down version of the ray-traced reflections, but probably not much else in regards to lighting.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I would replace Minecraft RTX with Ghost of Tsushima at #9 but other than that, great list and I agree with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone building in 2020 should hold off on the GPU part.
Maybe 2022 cards will run the game 60fps with FAKE DLSS 4K,Maxed and get 60fps :D

Yeah, probably, but turning off DLSS is an idiotic thing to do. I'll take the frame rate boost and improved image quality, thanks.

Native 4K is a waste of rendering resources in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

thuGG_pl

Anyone building in 2020 should hold off on the GPU part.
Maybe 2022 cards will run the game 60fps with FAKE DLSS 4K,Maxed and get 60fps :D

As shown above top 2020 cards can do that already.
Also let's not pretend that it is the first game in history that pushes the graphics and demands top PCs. Anyone remeber HL2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Crysis?

EDIT:
Funny is, that FS2020 can't get near 60fps in 4k on top machines, but you're not bitching about it.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

As shown above top 2020 cards can do that already.
Also let's not pretend that it is the first game in history that pushes the graphics and demands top PCs. Anyone remeber HL2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Crysis?
No they are below 60fps and only 22fps with true 4K.

It's beyond what todays PC GPU can do this is true.

S0ULZB0URNE

They said Medium/High.
They deflect the fact that no PC can max the game out.
If I bought a $1500 3090 I expect more than 22 fps in 2020 @4K.
Unfortunately it will take the 3000 series successor to maybe double the 22 FPS but that won't be probably till 2022.

thuGG_pl

Unfortunately it will take the 3000 series successor to maybe double the 22 FPS but that won't be probably till 2022.
There is this thing called DLSS that magically does that without waiting for next game cards.

thelastword

Banned
Cyberpunk at #1 is a joke. DF does not relent when they are swooning for a feature. This time raytracing.....

Raytracing has not made any game transformative in visuals and certainly not cyberpunk, that feature alone does make a game look great. I think games which have a much higher level of graphics composition, higher attention to detail levels without raytracing are much more impressive than simply games with raytracing.

I mean minecraft making a graphics list is absolute sacrilege, rt does not make it a looker or a better looking game than Tsushima or any game on that list or many games which didn't.

Cyberpunk has nothing close to the density that certain tech tubers spoke about, it does not have a living breathing open world, it's best graphical features are surfacial at best and you can easily see its compromises. Compared to other open world games, cyberpunk is not anywhere close to detail, textures or atd...To win best graphics over Demon Souls, Miles Morales or TLOU2 is a joke, the fact that Tsushima is not on that list and that Minecraft makes it is a joke.

Ori is another game that should never be on this list, especially when Tsushima is not on that list.....

Cyberpunk the right choice... Flight Sim should be #2 though - that thing looks unbelievable.
Agreed about CP2077, amazing game graphically (and the actual game imo, haters can cry). What I want to know is, how is Flight simulator as an actual game? Is it actually fun? I'd love to try it out but paying $60 for a game i may or may not dig is asking a lot. I loved the old school jetfighter games on dos (old school EGA-VGA graphics), and love Warthunder, but those all have combat too. I am just concerned it consists of nothing more than staring at clouds for hours (real time flights?) once you are up there.

Screenshots look incredible though, i will give it that.

ethomaz

Banned
The game is very vey unoptimized... it is rushed to launch after all.
It is not the hardware fault.

It doesn’t push graphic tech like Crysis in 2007 for example.

You can be sure that in a year the game will run way better on RTX 3000.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
$4000 PC's don't run CP 2077 good enough either.

lol.. man.. good stuff.. from "run it good enough" to "no PC can max the game out."

My 2070RTX runs the game fantastically w/ some RT on. It runs it more than "good enough" and a 3090 will make CyberPunk look as good or better than any other game with good performance. They really pushed their "Ultra" settings on this game, and it'll be a benchmark for a while because of it.

What PS5 is doing for $400 is jaw dropping though. Super curious what CyberPunk is gonna look like it post-next gen patch.

S0ULZB0URNE

The game is very vey unoptimized.
It is not the hardware fault.

It doesn’t push graphic tech like Crysis in 2007 for example.

You can be sure that in a year the game will run way better on RTX 3000.
This isn't true. It's the hardware and no "major" performance increases will happen because of this.
I expect the next gen console versions to surprise people in this area.

thuGG_pl

I don't agree with it looking it's best without maxing it out and moving @ 60fps.

Who cares, the list was made by their standards not yours. Also there are many titles on that list that cant get past 30 fps and I don't see you complaining about it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
This isn't true. It's the hardware and no "major" performance increases will happen because of this.
Nah it is very very rushed and unoptimized even on PC.
They will be big gains in fps with patches thought the year.

It is basically a full priced Early Access.
We are just being the Beta testers.

We will overhaul of some feature in the game too... the AI will probably be redone... they already talked about these things in the investors call so it should be no secret.

Last edited:
Missing Quake 2 RTX on that list.
That came out last year or 2018, didn't it. It was out before the geforce 2080 launched. As they used it as a tech demo at their nvidia confrence.
Although quake 2 rtx is amazing, so weird playing a game from 1997 which was like gen2 of 3d accellerated graphics and have it look and play amazing 24 years later.
I wish more games would get the Quake 2 RTX treatment. I want some unreal gold and maybe quake 3/ut99/Clive barkers undying/return to castle wolfenstein, alice, half-life, etc... So many good games from the era that could get remade or just an rtx /texture remaster.

What makes you think that mate.

The game was delayed multiple times and has a ton of bugs. It's common sense to think that the code is a spaguetti mess of unoptimized shit.

S0ULZB0URNE

Who cares, the list was made by their standards not yours. Also there are many titles on that list that cant get past 30 fps and I don't see you complaining about it.
"You" care hence the nonstop attempts at deflecting.
Most of that lists games are past 30fps.
We are talking PC..is all of a sudden the superior performance gains of the PC narratives thrown out the window cause PC can't max the game out lol?

S0ULZB0URNE

Nah it is very very rushed and unoptimized even on PC.
They will be big gains in fps with patches thought the year.

It is basically a full priced Early Access.
We are just being the Beta testers.

We will overhaul of some feature in the game too... the AI will probably be redone... they already talked about these things in the investors call so it should be no secret.
On last gen consoles but PC tech is CDPR's bread and butter.
Bugs are a different story.

The raytracing in Cyberpunk is super awesome, but other than that..? There is nothing impressive at all with the graphics I think, and some of it is really average (playing maxed out in 4k on an RTX 3080 for the record).

I'm much, much more impressed by TLOU2 personally, but of course it comes down to preferences and taste. I just can't get over how realistic the animations and faces look in that game..

Yes, that's the point. What are we supposed to be comparing here, games or platforms?

It means there's nothing exceptional about CDPR's work except when its propped up by its hardware.

It means that its ranking has nothing to do do with software or artistry, its purely about what you can do with a top-end GPU.

That's not interesting, because as you point out everything should look better on PC because its just got more expensive and powerful hardware to utilise the same techniques and API's!
It really has little to do with Cyberpunk's actual merits, whereas a like-for-like comparison (hardware level-wise) shows who's actually pushing the work forwards.
You sound salty about cp2077. Also crysis back in 2007 was the cyberpunk of today. It's a game that pushed hardware and tech. Doom and hl2 did this prior. We haven't had a game like this in years and I for one am glad cdpr took the risk. It looks beautiful even on mid level gpus on pc. I am using a 2060rtx and full ray tracking 1080p having a blast (fps hover around 45-60fps with ultra rtx on full).

Top Bottom