• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia releases AMD FSR alternative called NIS (Nvidia Image Scaling)

Yes. And you can toggle off the sharpening per application. Or better, set the amount you want on a per game basis.
Now this is as used by the user, in Windows.

But on the Switch, a developer would set the amount of sharpening he deems necessary.
No user input would be needed. And games would get a better upscaler.
Testing with FH5 now and I'm not seeing any noticable performance gains just a whole lot of sharpening that's adding in shimmering and jaggy like effects.

Is it just a case of adjusting the % slider or do I need to do something else here?

Kenpachii

Testing with FH5 now and I'm not seeing any noticable performance gains just a whole lot of sharpening that's adding in shimmering and jaggy like effects.

Is it just a case of adjusting the % slider or do I need to do something else here?
Slider is just sharpening, the other part of actual upscaling i am also trying to figure out still in a game that doesn't have full screen mode, such as fh5.

anyway

there seems to be a hotfix 496.84 gona try it out.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5264

GeForce hotfix display driver version 496.84 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 496.76.

The hotfix addresses the following issues:

• [NVIDIA Image Scaling]: After performing a clean install or over install over version 496.49, NVIDIA Image Scaling resolutions do not appear in the game. [3434708]

Click here to download the GeForce hotfix display driver for Windows 10 x64/ Windows 11 x64.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

Enable the NIS overlay indicator. This will tell you if it's working
If it's Blue, then it's just adding sharpening filter. If it's Green, then it's doing the supscaling.

nvidia-control-panel-nvcpl-nvidia-image-scaling-walkthrough-step-1-crop.png

To enable NIS it you have to go to the option menu in the game and set a lower resolution than native.
NIS will automatically create 5 custom resolutions for your system. These are based on a percentage of your native resolution. 85%, 77%, 67%, 59% and 50%
For example, if you play at 1440p, you will find a new resolution of 1224p, that is the 85%.

You also have to be in Fullscreen mode.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Just tried using it on FH5, but it doesn't work. It only does the bicubic upscaling of the game itself.
Probably because of the UWP system.

Rea

Source? Sounds very unlikely! I read nowhere about it.

Rudius

Last edited:

sertopico

Thanks! That's interesting I am going to update and see what happens.

Reactions: Rea

amc

With my 3060 I'm using 77% of native and 25% sharpen and it's real nice. Games I ran at 1080p or 1440p on my 4K TV are now upscaling to 4K and sticking the landing at 60fps. Definitely a nice improvement in image quality. No G-sync on my bedroom Q9FN but I save the big games for the living room and this NIS is great for pushing less fancy games to 4K60.

For my 2080TI I'm using 85% and 15% sharpen on a game by game basis, most games will run at 4K60 native but for the few that struggle this has helped and the image difference is pretty negligible using those percentages compared to native.

Add in G-sync on my C1, a tasty overclock and DLSS, well, I'm seeing good things for the future performance of my cards. Nice.

It's crazy I never noticed it before, tried sharpen on a couple of titles in the past but never knew about GPU scaling, need to read what heralded nVidia to trumpet it now in the new driver. They've added something right, it's not just a simple re-announce without anything new at all? Whatever the reason I'm glad I caught wind of it now.

Last edited:

Darknssfalls

Neo Member
Just tried using it on FH5, but it doesn't work. It only does the bicubic upscaling of the game itself.
You need to select the lower resolution you want in Nvidia Panel or Dektop, run FH5 and select there your native res to actívate NIS or then you only gettin' the sharpening effect (Blue colored NIS overlay if you have it enabled.)

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Don't know why we need this. It's simple scaler, you can do it in multiple ways including in-game scaler.
I guess it's here just for simplicity and it's universal. But other than that?

ethomaz

Banned
this video is from dec 10 2020 it has the gpu scaling tick box although it's been around even longer. They seem to have just renamed the option from sharpening to scaling

edit: Seems to be the same thing it seems to work the same way 2 years ago as it does now. Was mentioned is some FSR reviews but no one gave a shit.

I did not know that but reading the nVidia page they say…

“newly updated feature”

It is probably not using the same scaling.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Tried everyhing out again i couldn't get it to work. Maybe i did get it to work on horizon at some point, but saw huge haloing around the tires and mirrors so not sure if that was supposed to happen.

I give up for now, will see if the next driver fixes it.
Did you changed your desktop resolution with the newer NIS resolution created after activate it?

Depending if your monitor it should at least have created a 1080p options or lower there.

Edit - Late… seems like you manage to make it work ;)

Last edited:
It doesn't work with DSR but you can disable DSR and make custom resolutions(the same resolutions DSR gave you) and the sharpening will work.

Last edited:
You need to select the lower resolution you want in Nvidia Panel or Dektop, run FH5 and select there your native res to actívate NIS or then you only gettin' the sharpening effect (Blue colored NIS overlay if you have it enabled.)
Well now it works in every game. Basically set your desktop resolution to one you want to have game scaled to. [because in game rez setting won't do anything]

sertopico

^Small update: it didn't upgrade automatically to dlss 2.3.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

ethomaz

Banned

After activate the NIS you need to change your desktop resolution to one of the new ones generated by the driver for games that doesn’t work in fullscreen.

Kenpachii

must say finer detail goes down the shitter something dlss fixes so its like playing without AA. tried out 2560x1440 and got the render resoluiton on 1920x1080. its solid tho for more performance in fast paced games if you need too.

ethomaz

Banned
It works… it is a non full-screen game… you need to change your desktop resolution for the new ones created by NIS.

Last edited:
must say finer detail goes down the shitter something dlss fixes so its like playing without AA. tried out 2560x1440 and got the render resoluiton on 1920x1080. its solid tho for more performance in fast paced games if you need too.
Will for sure be good for older Nvidia GPUs trying to get 1080p 120

winjer

Gold Member
It works… it is a non full-screen game… you need to change your desktop resolution for the new ones created by NIS.

That's a bit of a hassle to make it work.
The game does have an option saying Fullscreen. But I guess it's just borderless windowed.

should i enable this globally or per game? i don't know what i'm meant to be doing with this... help pls

edit: nvm i think i know now

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That's a bit of a hassle to make it work.
The game does have an option saying Fullscreen. But I guess it's just borderless windowed.
FH5 has no fullscreen mode (neither Halo Infinite but in that case seems like the dev will implement in a future patch)... the option you see is just the Windows DX12 borderless window.

sertopico

I reverted back to the older drivers, this new sharpening does not fully convince me. Besides, the option "ignore film grain" disappeared. I tested on CP 2077 and the IQ was worse, using native res + 0.50% sharpening and DLSS Quality, as I was doing before. Many surfaces got lots of flickering due to the sharpening. Maybe this new one is more aggressive than the old one and you need a lower percentage?

Last edited:

xPikYx

Honestly I used to do this with internal game rendering, setting a resolution and then scaling down the internal render through the game to improve performance. I did this on Metro Exodus and Assassin's Creed Odissey, for example: I set the resolution to 4k and then I set the internal rendering to 80/70 % and the quality loss was negligible. Now what this new NIS does is exactly the same but is the GPU itself that applies this at driver level. From my understanding you must find into the game 3d settings new resolution values with various percentages (85/77/63/50%) so then the actual rendering resolution is lower than 4k but the GPU applies the upscaling to chosen desktop resolution, am I correct?

sertopico

Honestly I used to do this with internal game rendering, setting a resolution and then scaling down the internal render through the game to improve performance. I did this on Metro Exodus and Assassin's Creed Odissey, for example: I set the resolution to 4k and then I set the internal rendering to 80/70 % and the quality loss was negligible. Now what this new NIS does is exactly the same but is the GPU itself that applies this at driver level. From my understanding you must find into the game 3d settings new resolution values with various percentages (85/77/63/50%) so then the actual rendering resolution is lower than 4k but the GPU applies the upscaling to chosen desktop resolution, am I correct?
Yes it is correct. As soon as you activate NIS a bunch of custom resolutions based on your native res will be automatically created and you will able to choose them ingame. On top of that you can add some sharpening, which in my opinion is worse than the older one.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I reverted back to the older drivers, this new sharpening does not fully convince me. Besides, the option "ignore film grain" disappeared. I tested on CP 2077 and the IQ was worse, using native res + 0.50% sharpening and DLSS Quality, as I was doing before. Many surfaces got lots of flickering due to the sharpening. Maybe this new one is more aggressive than the old one and you need a lower percentage?
The IQ should be worst than native or anything DLSS related.
I'm not sure what were you expecting?
The performance should be a bit better... it is a trade off to gain performance.

Last edited:

sertopico

The IQ should be worst than native or anything DLSS related.
I'm not sure what were you expecting?
The performance should be a bit better.
Nope. I wasn't using any of the customized resolutions, only the sharpening slider (which I set at 0.5%) and DLSS quality. Compared to the older sharpening slider and set value I got a worse final image.

Last edited:

MadViking

I tried it in Shadow of the Tomb Raider and it didn't look very good. UI destroyed too by the sharpening. The built-in resolution scaling with CAS for me is much better, at the same performance.

ethomaz

Banned
Nope. I wasn't using any of the customized resolutions, only the sharpening slider (which I set at 0.5%) and DLSS quality.
Are you saying the sharpening filter makes the IQ worst? If that so then it is really interesting.
BTW DLSS already has sharpening filter. in the pipeline.. maybe that is why it is giving you bad results?

Last edited:

sertopico

Are you saying the sharpening filter makes the IQ worst? If that so then it is really interesting.
BTW DLSS already has sharpening filter. in the pipeline.. maybe that is why it is giving you bad results?
Sorry I edited my previous post. Yes, this newer iteration of the sharpening filter gives me worse results than the old one. DLSS does have some sharpening, but sometimes it's not enough, like in Cyberpunk for instance.

WitchHunter

Banned
KitGuruTech already has a fantastic NIS vs FSR vs DLSS comparison video up:

Timestamped to 4K NIS vs 4K FSR:

So... drumroll. No visible difference. More acronyms to fight with. When will they release a card game? So NV and AMD enhusiasts could settle the score once and for all.

Xdrive05

Bumping for a PSA on NIS and Cyberpunk 2077:

Because Cyberpunk doesn't run in exclusive full screen mode, you have to do one extra step to get NIS to actually work with it. In addition to turning on NIS in the control panel, you also have to set your desktop resolution to match the lower-than-native resolution that you set the game to:

UrDK45g.png

If you have the NIS overlay turned on, then you will see it in the game now, and it will be green indicating that it is working.

CP2077 looks WAY better with NIS than with the internal scaler in the game. And at 85% my fps went from high 30s to low 50s using the Digital Foundry optimized non-RT settings.

I would highly, highly recommend this if you're on a GTX 1650 / GTX 1060 / GTX 980 tier card and trying 1080p. Also, try 20% sharpening or less. Any more than that gets a little too halo-y at 1080p.

Top Bottom