• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia releases AMD FSR alternative called NIS (Nvidia Image Scaling)

ethomaz

Banned
I was pulling your leg.

Maybe somebody will work something out from the SDK, it's supposed to be multiplatform.

I wonder if someone could do something like that for the desktop (for sh*ts and giggles).
Right now it only works on nVidia drivers because nVidia implemented it in their drivers.
It is open source so AMD can implement in their own driver (something I doubt it will happen).

Another option is the mod team of AMD drivers to release a version with NIS implemented... yes there is customized drivers by the community.
In this case it is not an official driver so you take the risk if you choose to install it.

Outside that Dev can choose game by game to implement it as a option in game menu or config files that will works in all GPUs.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Right now it only works on nVidia drivers because nVidia implemented it in their drivers.
It is open source so AMD can implement in their own driver (something I doubt it will happen).

Another option is the mod team of AMD drivers to release a version with NIS implemented... yes there is customized drivers by the community.
In this case it is not an official driver so you take the risk if you choose to install it.

Outside that Dev can choose game by game to implement it as a option in game menu or config files that will works in all GPUs.

Lets hope AMD does so, even more good news for the deck.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm a little confused how this works. I enabled it via GeForce Experience and set it to 85% res/20% sharp, and it activates in-game when playing Forza Horizon 5, but only the sharpening is active, not the resolution scaling. Frame rate is the same with enabled or disabled. If you switch to the custom res it supposed to add in-game, it disables NIS. Maybe it's a FH5 specific problem?

Kenpachii

I'm a little confused how this works. I enabled it via GeForce Experience and set it to 85% res/20% sharp, and it activates in-game when playing Forza Horizon 5, but only the sharpening is active, not the resolution scaling. Frame rate is the same with enabled or disabled. If you switch to the custom res it supposed to add in-game, it disables NIS. Maybe it's a FH5 specific problem?
Not sure if the game needs to be full screen also. maybe that could be the problem.

Last edited:

MCplayer

NIS on all games? Lets see if it boost BF 2042 a bit..
Oh boy! Assetto Corsa competizione will definitly reach 120fps for me O.O

Kenpachii

tested in forza horizon 5, same performance doesn't work indeed.

also doesn't seem to work on halo infinity or riftbreaker.

No clue maybe mine version is bugged, but this isn't working.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

the work around in games with no exclusive fullscreen is setting your desktop resolution to the scaled resolution before launching the game

ethomaz

Banned

How did you setup it?

Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings> Global Settings > Image Scaling ?

You have to set your Desktop resolution to match the scaled resolution to works in games that doesn't have full screen mode.

Not sure if the game needs to be full screen also. maybe that could be the problem.
It doesn't need but your desktop resolution needs to match the scaled resolution for this case.
Think like if you are not using full screen then your full screen is the Desktop so the NIS settings needs to match the desktop... I don't know if that makes sense?

Last edited:
gvO4WF6.png

Md Ray

Off-topic I know...
But Forza Horizon 5's main menu music blew me away. One of the most breathtaking, goosebump-inducing opening soundtracks I've heard in recent memory.

ethomaz

Banned
I’m sure you could have simply provided evidence instead of just saying, “Na uh.”

2 people have tested it in this thread.
You posted without read anything? It was already explained four or more times.

Set your desktop resolution to match the scaled resolution to works… set your desktop to 1080p for example and put I don’t know 85% scaling… profit.

Anyway SirKicksalot SirKicksalot posted a pic few post ago that exactly explain how to do it.

It is not even a workaround because when you are not in full screen the resolution is indeed your desktop… set your desktop to what resolution scaling you want: 1080p, 1440p or 4k.

Last edited:

Ferdimage

Playing FH5 - going 85% on 1440p , I have seen a significant boost in fps. Thank you Nvidia!
Games like Guilty Gear Strive, doesn't benefit as it was already at 60 fps max settings, scaling just makes it look slightly jagged.

Edit: Nvidia Sharpening I set to 0% as it never looks as clean as Reshade.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

You posted without read anything? It was already explained four or more times.

Set your desktop resolution to match the scaled resolution to works… set your desktop to 1080p for example and put I don’t know 85% scaling… profit.
if you scroll up to the top of your resolutions in the nvidia control panel after activating scaling they provide the scaled resolutions relative to your native resolution

ethomaz

Banned
if you scroll up to the top of your resolutions in the nvidia control panel after activating scaling they provide the scaled resolutions relative to your native resolution
Yes but the NIS only works if the desktop resolution (non-fullscreen) or the game resolution (fullscreen) is 1080p, 1440p or 4k?

it is easy to understand… in full screen the screen resolution is the game resolution… in non-fullscreen the screen resolution is the desktop resolution.

PS. Seems like just dropping the desktop resolution already works… I’m not sure 🤔

Last edited:

CobraAB

It is already years that nVidia is driving the advances in GPU tech without any competition.
My apologies. I did not realize AMD was in the GPU game Even though I just got one a few weeks ago.

And what exactly are Sony and Microsoft using in their consoles then?

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Great move Nvidia
Now it is AMDs turn to counter that, again.

BTW: What happens if we use FSR DLSS and NIS at the same time?

ethomaz

Banned
My apologies. I did not realize AMD was in the GPU game Even though I just got one a few weeks ago.

And what exactly are Sony and Microsoft using in their consoles then?
You clearly said competition.

Products for products you have AMD, Intel, etc GPUs… you can choose whatever you want.

Last edited:
NIS 67% with default sharpening vs Valhalla's own 70% scaling is basically the same on a 970, 1080p, AA off. That was in the benchmark which is in constant motion but both options looked very similar. It's actually weird how close NIS is to the in-game option without any dev optimisation.
The main difference is that the built-in scaling option renders the UI at native resolution.
AA is off because for some reason AA reconstructs the image in Valhalla (from 85% on high I think).
I wonder how it works in Cyberpunk vs FidelityFX but I'm not wasting my time on that.

Midn1ght

When I play on my monitor, I usually play at 1440p in game (sometimes 4k) which is downsampled to my native 1080p monitor res to have a cleaner image.

Is it possible to use say 85% of 1440p even if my monitor native res isn't 1440p?

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Yes but the NIS only works if the desktop resolution (non-fullscreen) or the game resolution (fullscreen) is 1080p, 1440p or 4k?

it is easy to understand… in full screen the screen resolution is the game resolution… in non-fullscreen the screen resolution is the desktop resolution.

PS. Seems like just dropping the desktop resolution already works… I’m not sure 🤔 turning on scaling will add those resolutions to nvidia control panel if you have to change the desktop res (non-fullscreen)
For fullscreen games you pick the scaled res in game settings which will appear under your selectable resolutions after turning scaling on, and for windowed games you select the scaled resolutions at the top of the list in nvidia control panel as your active desktop res. In either case it will upscale to your monitor's native resolution. There's a list posted by nvidia that shows what those scaled resolutions are respective to your native res, but again control panel conveniently shows you those resolutions and tells you what % of native they are.

Buggy Loop

Would nVidia be where they are at right now if they had no competition?

Yes?

What are the pillars that would define modern Nvidia?

• Nvidia basically invented programmable shading with Cg, which directly influenced DirectX 9's high level shader language (HLSL), OpenCL.
  • Another effect of the above is CUDA, been since 2006 and nothing on AMD side. It's been left to dominate any GPU computing tasks in the engineering/scientific world and is pretty much established in all universities.
  • Tegra, cumulation of 2008's mobile processors which is now giving them a huge lead for automotive processing
  • Gsync, even though now it's all the same, Nvidia made it relevant to begin with. Freesync followed behind.
  • Ray tracing, Nvidia basically gave the whole homework to Microsoft to integrate it into DXR API. Somehow AMD managed to make a worse ray tracing performance/core than even Turing after watching the competition 2 years prior and participating in the same consortiums for APIs.
  • Anything related to AI, goes without saying. I mean, even AMD might be beat to a DLSS alternative with fucking Intel, imagine that. Goes for automotive industry too.
We could add what they provide like game streaming, shadowplay, which is either absent or better or took a long ass time for AMD to find an equivalent.

They're a closed wall, not open source. Yes. But they basically trace the path that GPUs will and directX will take, the others are following.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes?

What are the pillars that would define modern Nvidia?

• Nvidia basically invented programmable shading with Cg, which directly influenced DirectX 9's high level shader language (HLSL), OpenCL.
  • Another effect of the above is CUDA, been since 2006 and nothing on AMD side. It's been left to dominate any GPU computing tasks in the engineering/scientific world and is pretty much established in all universities.
  • Tegra, cumulation of 2008's mobile processors which is now giving them a huge lead for automotive processing
  • Gsync, even though now it's all the same, Nvidia made it relevant to begin with. Freesync followed behind.
  • Ray tracing, Nvidia basically gave the whole homework to Microsoft to integrate it into DXR API. Somehow AMD managed to make a worse ray tracing performance/core than even Turing after watching the competition 2 years prior and participating in the same consortiums for APIs.
  • Anything related to AI, goes without saying. I mean, even AMD might be beat to a DLSS alternative with fucking Intel, imagine that. Goes for automotive industry too.
We could add what they provide like game streaming, shadowplay, which is either absent or better or took a long ass time for AMD to find an equivalent.

They're a closed wall, not open source. Yes. But they basically trace the path that GPUs will and directX will take, the others are following.
NVidia did what Intel should have done when they had no competition… Intel stopped to more forward or innovate and AMD basically outperformed them in their own game (took years but they reached there).

nVidia the opposite… they keep moving forward and innovating even without competition… they didn’t give any chance to AMD catch up.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

the work around in games with no exclusive fullscreen is setting your desktop resolution to the scaled resolution before launching the game

Riftbreaker was full screen, didn't saw a change in performance.

;
How did you setup it?

Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings> Global Settings > Image Scaling ?

You have to set your Desktop resolution to match the scaled resolution to works in games that doesn't have full screen mode.

It doesn't need but your desktop resolution needs to match the scaled resolution for this case.
Think like if you are not using full screen then your full screen is the Desktop so the NIS settings needs to match the desktop... I don't know if that makes sense?

Ah will try that out.

f7dddf576aca64f7341ad2957ee9ee6b.png

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wonder if this will work on Half Life Alyx.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So I tried Nis in Diablo 3.

I don't know if somethings mind tricking me, but it seems like I get better performance and visuals with it on?

Have only tried it with 50 percent on, what's the difference between increasing and decreasing?

And should I get better picture and performance?

mrcroket

Well I expect that AMD will now incorporate FSR on catalyst like they did with VSR (AMD downsampling), so if you use a lower than native resolution in a game, FSR will scale it to native. But with AMD who knows...

Last edited:

Kenpachii

tried it, can't get it to work, the green logo on the left side also isn't there. while it was there a while earlier. So no clue what the fuck is going on. Maybe i bricked it will check tomorrow further on it.

I don't know if somethings mind tricking me, but it seems like I get better performance and visuals with it on?

Have only tried it with 50 percent on, what's the difference between increasing and decreasing?

You should get better performance. The % I think is sharpening. I wouldn't suggest over 50

ethomaz

Banned

50% means it is rendering half of the chosen resolution and upscaling the others 50%.
In terms of IQ more close to 100% better.
In terms of performance more close to 50% better.

It is a trade off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom