• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia releases AMD FSR alternative called NIS (Nvidia Image Scaling)

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-image-scaling-goes-open-source-nis-now-available-to-all-games

The latest Game Ready Driver releasing on November 16th provides an update to our existing NVIDIA Image Scaling feature that boosts performance on ALL games and GeForce GPUs through a best-in-class spatial scaling and sharpening algorithm. NVIDIA Image Scaling is accessible both from the NVIDIA Control Panel and GeForce Experience, and includes a per-game sharpening setting tunable from NVIDIA's in-game overlay.

NVIDIA is releasing the NVIDIA Image Scaling algorithm as an open source SDK that delivers best-in-class spatial scaling and sharpening and works cross-platform on all GPUs. The SDK will be publicly available on GitHub on November 16th for all developers to integrate into their games.

winjer

Gold Member
Wait so AMD FSR wasn't trying to out do DLSS?

They already have DLSS whats the difference between this and NIS?

From what they say, this works with all nVidia graphics cards and with all games.
All it's necessary is to enable it in the drivers or in GeForce Experience.
Being able to enable NIS in all games is very good, even considering that it's not as good as DLSS 2.3

We have to wait for nVidia to release these new drivers, to see exactly what it does.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Cool but does it "JUST WORKS" in place of AMDs feature? I am getting alittle tired of proprietary solution isntead of standardizing. I guess its always on the directx team to make standards.

Wait so AMD FSR wasn't trying to out do DLSS?

They already have DLSS whats the difference between this and NIS?

FSR was NEVER a DLSS competitor, it was an alternative, a different type of scaling, more simpler.
AMD is still working on a DLSS competitor.
The Intel solution XeSS is a true DLSS competitor (developed by the same person).

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Can NIS supplement Integer Scaling? - Like if my monitor does Pixel Perfect Integer Scaling, can NIS take it further?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Games requiring to implement FSR was a deal breaker and the fact that NIS just works on all games completely just killed AMD's offering.
This has to be implemented by devs too, it's right there in the OP.

hold up.

i thought FSR was AMDs response to DLSS? or am i thinking of something else?
FSR is just an upscaler that works on the current frame with no other information like what is happening or where things are moving, whereas DLSS uses motion vector data etc to use machines learning to render a higher resolution image instead of just upscaling the image that's there basically. DLSS is waaaaaaay smarter and better than FSR, but also requires developers to integrate it into their engines much deeper. FSR and now this are basically tick boxes for them to tick.

Yes and no.

This works at driver level, so for Nvidia GPU users it's a setting in the control panel that lets it work for any game - set a resolution in-game, and NIS will scale it to your monitor's native (or desktop resolution).
AMD or Intel GPU users don't have an Nvidia control panel or Nvidia drivers, so they would be SOL... except NIS is open-source, so developers of any game out there are free to implement it directly into their games, like FSR, making it work on any GPU for those games.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Does it mean I can put the game on 720p or 900p and get a cool 1080p image on ALL games? :O

Edit: Thinking about it a lil more... Nintendo will have an out of the box solution that won't require tensor cores for reescaling now

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
who's going to be the first to develop a driver level/user forceable version that works on all games?

ethomaz

Banned
Not with nVidia GPUs... it is at driver level and can be used to any game without any dev change.
You choose to use or not.

Now to use outside nVidia GPUs you have to either wait the AMD/Intel to implement at drive level or the dev implment in game specific.

Last edited:

ChrisB

For me personally, I thought the reference 6800-6900 looked cool vs nvidia reference and they were small enough to fit in my sffpc (the nvidia fan layout would have been an issue. The performance is more than good enough for my use case.
This is my first AMD gpu and I’m not sure what the Nvidia vs AMD bs is about.

edit: dammit this was to quote the dude that asked why someone would want an AMD GPU.

Last edited:
More reason not to spend a shit ton of money on a gpu upgrade considering the chip crysis and prices. Good on them.
BoringEqualAustralianfreshwatercrocodile-max-1mb.gif

Reallink

For me personally, I thought the reference 6800-6900 looked cool vs nvidia reference and they were small enough to fit in my sffpc (the nvidia fan layout would have been an issue. The performance is more than good enough for my use case.
This is my first AMD gpu and I’m not sure what the Nvidia vs AMD bs is about.

edit: dammit this was to quote the dude that asked why someone would want an AMD GPU.

Congrats, you paid about the same price for 50-100%+ lower performance in titles with RT and DLSS.

Last edited:

Hugare

Eagerly waiting for Digital Foundry's opinion on this

Wont be as miraculous as DLSS, of course, but if its able to beat FSR, then damn

Nvidia is just flexing now

manfestival

Been watching a few videos of dlss vs fsr. While FSR is still in 1.0 and DLSS is at 2.2. It is hard to tell the differences between the two at the highest 2 settings. FSR only really loses ground outside of ultra quality and quality to DLSS. Maybe that is where the tensor core advantage comes in or the disadvantage of the first generation of the software is at. Though at the end of the day DLSS in it's current state is better than FSR but if that is the only conclusion that you draw then you miss the point(since you can just run the games in ultra or quality within FSR). This NIS just seems like a silly jab at AMD. So now Nvidia offers 2 resolution scaling software options, neat. Still needs to be implemented just like DLSS and FSR before it becomes relevant.

ethomaz

Banned
Not if you install their drivers on your AMD card? no?
Is it will even work?

I mean Windows doesn't allow you to install a nVidia drive in a AMD device.
You can install the Package downloaded on nVidia site but the drive won't be installed (it will be in the local windows driver database so when you put a nVidia GPU it will automatically install that driver to that GPU)... the drive is installed when in your Windows Device it shows the device with the driver you installed (it should shows a nVidia GPU device there if you have a nVidia GPU).

The nVidia driver installed required a nVidia GPU hardware.
If you try an AMD hardware and choose to Update Driver Software... manually with a nVidia driver it will give you error.

device_manager_display_adapters_properties_h.png

Last edited:
Been watching a few videos of dlss vs fsr. While FSR is still in 1.0 and DLSS is at 2.2. It is hard to tell the differences between the two at the highest 2 settings. FSR only really loses ground outside of ultra quality and quality to DLSS. Maybe that is where the tensor core advantage comes in or the disadvantage of the first generation of the software is at. Though at the end of the day DLSS in it's current state is better than FSR but if that is the only conclusion that you draw then you miss the point(since you can just run the games in ultra or quality within FSR). This NIS just seems like a silly jab at AMD. So now Nvidia offers 2 resolution scaling software options, neat. Still needs to be implemented just like DLSS and FSR before it becomes relevant.
It's really a stark difference in some scenes vs a small difference in others.

manfestival

It's really a stark difference in some scenes vs a small difference in others.
Not from all of the comparison videos I have seen. Though there is a caveat of watching it in compressed videos on youtube versus actually seeing stuff in person where smaller details certainly can be more noticeable. Which was notated in one of the videos I watched. The biggest differences only seem to appear when comparing anything under quality in FSR to the DLSS equivalent. DLSS is far better, even with it's janky presentation. Granted this is just from taking their opinions and information as presented to me since I just do not use image scaling nor have I even when I got my 2080 back in 2018.

Side note: The image scaling in Halo Infinite is fantastic

Excess

Nvidia makes it really hard to consider switching to AMD simply on performance. These little things add up.

Is it will even work?

I mean Windows doesn't allow you to install a nVidia drive in a AMD device.
You can install the Package downloaded on nVidia site but the drive won't be installed... the drive is installed when in your Windows Device it shows the device with the driver you installed (it should shows a nVidia GPU device there if you have a nVidia GPU).
I was pulling your leg.

Maybe somebody will work something out from the SDK, it's supposed to be multiplatform.

I wonder if someone could do something like that for the desktop (for sh*ts and giggles).

Top Bottom