• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia releases AMD FSR alternative called NIS (Nvidia Image Scaling)

ethomaz

Banned
I tried it in CS:GO. It looks like shit. People are actually excited for these things?
It is a scaling algorithm... it won't look like native... and more you decrease the scaling (down to 50%) more the IQ will get worst but you will get better performance.

The goal is to trade IQ for performance.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

So why hasn’t nVidia buried AMD yet?

tumblr_om6db9Pnyu1u501aoo1_400.gifv

As an ATI/AMD owner since 1996 (even 2D cards), and only on Nvidia since 1060, I can pretty much say it’s almost just forums always hyping that the next one is the one for sure for so many decades. They had a few wins here and there in bang for the buck department, which does have a market in lower end cards, they even had the amazing HD 7970 (iirc?), but still always trailing in drivers and features until like maybe very recently.

How many promised drivers that would boost everything I saw from 1996 to 2016..

I can only think that younger I liked the underdog. Now I don’t give a fuck, open source or walled, who the fuck cares, I’ll buy whatever gives me the most value for the money.

Banned
so it is just as shit and useless as FSR, but costs less performance... I mean... great? but still, no thanks! :)

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You should get better performance. The % I think is sharpening. I wouldn't suggest over 50
But I couldn't see the graphic get worse. Maybe the text seemed off (because of the sharpening probably) but I didn't notice worse image quality.

Edit: my monitor is 1440p and I am running 1440p resolution, does that mean it does nothing? The Nis logo is blue so all it should do is sharpening, which makes it worthless, unless it still does something performance in the background?

Last edited:
Sharpening is active even if you don't use resolution scaling. Make sure you disable sharpening in the Nvidia Control Panel if you don't use NSI for performance reasons (or disable NSI entirely but then you should also reboot every time it's switched on and off).

Kataploom

Gold Member
So i uninstalled the drivers, the control panel and experience and did a clean install with on the drive but can’t still see the option, do i need to do an extra step I’m missing?

Edit: Probably it's Windows 11? Is someone with Windows 11 getting the option?

Last edited:

xPikYx

What do you need this for exactly? When dlss is not present?
So i uninstalled the drivers, the control panel and experience and did a clean install with on the drive but can’t still see the option, do i need to do an extra step I’m missing?

Edit: Probably it's Windows 11? Is someone with Windows 11 getting the option?
The option should be into Nvidia control Panel->adjust size->select Nvidia Integer Scaling

Kataploom

Gold Member
What do you need this for exactly? When dlss is not present?

The option should be into Nvidia control Panel->adjust size->select Nvidia Integer Scaling
LOL thanks but I fixed it in the dumbest possible way: Just right-clicked and closed the nvidia icon in the system tray, then reopened it again from start menu... Done. Da fuq? IDK, but it works

xPikYx

I was wrong apparently, it is not Nvidia Integer scaling but Image scaling into 3d settings, but I don't know how this works to be honest

amc

Just tried Dying Light on my little 3060 W11 PC at 77% and it ran great, locked 60fps on a 4K screen. Image quality looked good to my eyes, looking forward to a few more in depth videos showing how well it really upscales but it's looking good. Was planning on that particular PC being a 1080p game player for more demanding games but this may change that and allow for a nice 4K upscale on bigger games.

Now to test it on the living room 2080TI and see how much more life it brings to that.

Seems decent technology, turn that sharpen down though, default 50% is too much.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I was wrong apparently, it is not Nvidia Integer scaling but Image scaling into 3d settings, but I don't know how this works to be honest
Yeap that is the actual path:

Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Image Scaling

Hasn't this been in the driver for years? Have they actually changed/improved it?
The option didn’t existed before the new driver version.

Last edited:

hlm666

Yeap that is the actual path:

Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Image Scaling

The option didn’t existed before the new driver version.
this video is from dec 10 2020 it has the gpu scaling tick box although it's been around even longer. They seem to have just renamed the option from sharpening to scaling

edit: Seems to be the same thing it seems to work the same way 2 years ago as it does now. Was mentioned is some FSR reviews but no one gave a shit.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Will this improve \ benefit image quality on older games even if those games see like 500fps?
Say Dead Space or I don't know GzDoom?

Last edited:

hlm666

Will this improve \ benefit image quality on older games even if those games see like 500fps?
Say Dead Space or I don't know GzDoom?
No it's upscaling, so at the cost of image quality your getting more performance. If your after better quality in your example with something getting crazy frame rates you want to go the other way, render higher and downscale and for that the option in your nvidia driver is called DSR, and for AMD your after the option called VSR.

Darknssfalls

Neo Member
Enabling NIS creates some additional resolutions under your native resolution. If you choose one of them, NIS upscales the image with the selected resolution to your native one (losing some IQ depending on how below your are from that).

If the game doesn't support Exclusive Full Screen, like Forza 5, you need to select the resolution you want below native in Windows Screen configuration to NIS kick in. Hope It helps, because its a little confusing right now ☺️

Anyways, I'm pretty happy with it. Playing FH5 at locked 60FPS on 1440p Ultrawide (NIS 77%) at Extreme with MSAAx4 and RT mod without having to deal with low vram warning/slowdowns on a 3070+5600x 🤩

Last edited:

Rudius

Does it mean I can put the game on 720p or 900p and get a cool 1080p image on ALL games? :O

Edit: Thinking about it a lil more... Nintendo will have an out of the box solution that won't require tensor cores for reescaling now
Good thinking. Digital Foundry did some tests on the cost to run DLSS and concluded it would probably be expensive to run on low power hardware. This NIS solution should be much lighter.

sertopico

The new Dlss 2.3 is fucking amazing. I played Cyberpunk with Dlss performance previously, i see lots of shimmering and blurry. Now with the new Dlss 2.3 they are gone and fucking smooth. Dlss is the game changer. Its so good.
Where did you find the version for Cyberpunk? CDP did not release any patch for the game yet. Or did you just put a random DLL into the folder? Based on my experience, the best dlss version is the white collie 2 you can grab here: https://developer.nvidia.com/dlss/research

Boy bawang

I'm getting a Dell xps13 with Intel Xe interested graphics from my job. I wonder if this could allow me to casually play recent games on it.

Kenpachii

Tried everyhing out again i couldn't get it to work. Maybe i did get it to work on horizon at some point, but saw huge haloing around the tires and mirrors so not sure if that was supposed to happen.

I give up for now, will see if the next driver fixes it.

Darknssfalls

Neo Member
Tried everyhing out again i couldn't get it to work. Maybe i did get it to work on horizon at some point, but saw huge haloing around the tires and mirrors so not sure if that was supposed to happen.

I give up for now, will see if the next driver fixes it.
Hi! What steps did you folllow? Have you enabled the NIS overlay to know when its working?

But I couldn't see the graphic get worse. Maybe the text seemed off (because of the sharpening probably) but I didn't notice worse image quality.

Edit: my monitor is 1440p and I am running 1440p resolution, does that mean it does nothing? The Nis logo is blue so all it should do is sharpening, which makes it worthless, unless it still does something performance in the background?
You have to pick one of the lower resolutions in the game and run it full screen or pick one of the new lower resolutions for desktop after enabling it

Kenpachii

Hi! What steps did you folllow? Have you enabled the NIS overlay to know when its working?

1) installed driver
2) reboot
3) enabled it in nvidia settings, screenscaling, on, 33%, indicator on.
4) screen goes black for a few seconds, comes back with 5 new resolutions
5) select new resolution that is lower then native put my desktop on it
6) boot up forza, set resolution on the resolution of my desktop and no logo in the corner nothing even if i set it native or lower doesn't matter
7) boot up fullscreen game, put resolution back to native in nvidia panel, set resolution to a lower setting in the game. still no logo or any upscaling going on.

For some reason yesterday i did saw sharpening and the logo appear in halo still no upscaling however.

I disabled the feature multiple times and reenabled + rebooted. no dice.

Honestly just feel like i bricked the driver or something at this point. Because the lower resolution was just lower resolution in the game there was no scaling going on.

Darknssfalls

Neo Member
1) installed driver
2) reboot
3) enabled it in nvidia settings, screenscaling, on, 33%, indicator on.
4) screen goes black for a few seconds, comes back with 5 new resolutions
5) select new resolution that is lower then native put my desktop on it
6) boot up forza, set resolution on the resolution of my desktop and no logo in the corner nothing even if i set it native or lower doesn't matter
7) boot up fullscreen game, put resolution back to native in nvidia panel, set resolution to a lower setting in the game. still no logo or any upscaling going on.

For some reason yesterday i did saw sharpening and the logo appear in halo still no upscaling however.

I disabled the feature multiple times and reenabled + rebooted. no dice.

Honestly just feel like i bricked the driver or something at this point. Because the lower resolution was just lower resolution in the game there was no scaling going on.
I think I got It 😜

When you select the lower res on Nvidia panel/Dektop you have to select your native res ingame. Try it and see what happens 🤓

Rea

Where did you find the version for Cyberpunk? CDP did not release any patch for the game yet. Or did you just put a random DLL into the folder? Based on my experience, the best dlss version is the white collie 2 you can grab here: https://developer.nvidia.com/dlss/research
They said Cyberpunk will communicate with the latest graphics driver and install the new Dlss2.3 from the driver automatically. But I downloaded the Dlss 2.3 myself and install in the gamefolder. The result is astonishing.

Kenpachii

I think I got It 😜

When you select the lower res on Nvidia panel/Dektop you have to select your native res ingame. Try it and see what happens 🤓

No dice, tried it out. Maybe its because i run multiple screens, or ultrawide even while resolutions do show up perfectly fine

They said Cyberpunk will communicate with the latest graphics driver and install the new Dlss2.3 from the driver automatically. But I downloaded the Dlss 2.3 myself and install in the gamefolder. The result is astonishing.

Watch battlefield 2042 use dlss 1.0.

Last edited:

sertopico

Source? Sounds very unlikely! I read nowhere about it.

Ok been testing it this morning and seems like Nvidia NIS is just re-branded image sharpening that was already in their existing drivers. If anything this is just Nvidia throwing shade at AMD an FSR if you ask me :D

Enabling NIS just sharpens the image and kinda makes it look like jaggy shit regardless of the % used in the feature settings. Best just stick to using DLSS if you want actual improvements.

Last edited:

omegasc

I was going to try it in my laptop with a 1060 max Q but it looks like it is not supported? No option in Control Panel or "beta" GF Experience.

Midn1ght

Tried it with Horizon Zero Dawn and Rise of the Tomb Raider (They removed DLSS not long ago) going from 1440p > 4K.

Horizon was fine, locked 60 and I can see the increase in resolution on my TV. Game still looks fine.
Rise of the Tomb Raider is locked 60 as well but I can clearly see the loss of image quality, went back to native 1440p and the game looked cleaner and better in my opinion.

This is a really nice option for older and non-RT cards but in my case I'll only try and check results for games without DLSS if I really want to push 4K.

winjer

Gold Member
So I tried this on games.
NIS is image sharpening that just makes the image look like shit. Nintendo wouldn't want to apply it to make their games look worse would they :D

No it's not.
It's a spacial upscaler. Like FSR, it's probably based on lazcos algorithm, with some edge enhancements on top.
It does have a sharpening filter. That can be turned off.

The Switch, because there are many games that run at sub native resolution, could use a better upscaler.
Most games on Switch just use some regular Bicubic upscaler. So having NIS, would be a better solution.

So I tried this on games.

No it's not.
It's a spacial upscaler. Like FSR, it's probably based on lazcos algorithm, with some edge enhancements on top.
It does have a sharpening filter. That can be turned off.

The Switch, because there are many games that run at sub native resolution, could use a better upscaler.
Most games on Switch just use some regular Bicubic upscaler. So having NIS, would be a better solution.
Ah I see. So is the oversharpening just an effect when using native resolution? Would you have to then drop the in-game rez below your native to see the effects for performance and image quality?

winjer

Gold Member
Ah I see. So is the oversharpening just an effect when using native resolution? Would you have to then drop the in-game rez below your native to see the effects for performance and image quality?

Yes. And you can toggle off the sharpening per application. Or better, set the amount you want on a per game basis.
Now this is as used by the user, in Windows.

But on the Switch, a developer would set the amount of sharpening he deems necessary.
No user input would be needed. And games would get a better upscaler.

Kenpachii

Maybe it does work now, no clue but i play halo at 1823x763 resolution 53% of 3440x1440 and looks actually fine, 130-160 fps ftw.

Top Bottom