• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Damn,I've got a 1080 in my main & a 480 in the bedroom...Think i might get the 1080i for main,then slap the 1080 in bedroom....I guess my wait for a Vive goes on

Vertti

Still gonna rock 980 Ti till 2018. Then it's good time to buy 4k tv with hdmi 2.1 and hdr. And if Volta gives simular boost to 1080 Ti compared to 980 Ti it should easily run everything on 4k/60 fps.

Zaph

Hope the cards going live today aren't just blower re-brands. Apparently OEMs have had the 1080ti's for quite some time while Nvidia waited for AMD, so maybe some custom coolers are ready to go?

Skyr

This may be a stupid question but it is something i have on my mind for quite some time.
There is one thing I don't really get in regards to gpu chip manufacturers like nvidia and amd.

Why do they always install such an underwhelming cooling solution for their own products?
I mean you would think they would be capeable of comming up with a better solution than pretty much any other third party manufacturer.

Do they somehow maximize profit by leaving the playing field to third party manufacturers and just selling the chips to them?
Just trying to understand the thinking process behind this

Renekton

They do have some merits like easier SLI, basic price for custom cooling enthusiasts, and they dump decent heat outside of case.

I think it is in their best interest to not outshine their aftermarket partners.

This may be a stupid question but it is something i have on my mind for quite some time.
There is one thing I don't really get in regards to gpu chip manufacturers like nvidia and amd.

Why do they always install such an underwhelming cooling solution for their own products?
I mean you would think they would be capeable of comming up with a better solution than pretty much any other third party manufacturer.

Do they somehow maximize profit by leaving the playing field to third party manufacturers and just selling the chips to them?

It's not about coming up with the most capable solution, but the most universally useful one. Blower style coolers like the ones used in reference cards are better in a couple of situations, notably SLI/CF setups and small cases, since instead of circulating hot air inside the case like a standard open air cooler, they blow hot air out of the case.

For your standard single GPU build in a normal sized case, it's better to wait for an open air cooler, but NV/AMD has to make the presumption that these cards are going to exist in worst case scenarios for cooling and in worst case scenarios, blowers are better.

I still think Volta is early next year

This is actually the only stone in the way for me.

Im betting end of the year for Volta to start to show off (first in the scientific area with deep learning accelerators, TESLA, QUADRO etc), by Then we will have a idea of its performance.

But it will be painfull to resist to a full modified enraged AIB custom 1080ti :(

It's not about coming up with the most capable solution, but the most universally useful one. Blower style coolers like the ones used in reference cards are better in a couple of situations, notably SLI/CF setups and small cases, since instead of circulating hot air inside the case like a standard open air cooler, they blow hot air out of the case.

For your standard single GPU build in a normal sized case, it's better to wait for an open air cooler, but NV/AMD has to make the presumption that these cards are going to exist in worst case scenarios for cooling and in worst case scenarios, blowers are better.
Indeed, people instantly assume that blower style coolers are bad, but they aren't. They have their uses and are a lot more noob friendly. Even with decent case airflow, custom coolers expel so much hot air into the case, that CPU and Mobo temps can rise by up to 10C.

Skyr

Alright if it's about to make the most compact/universal solution it makes sense. Thanks.

Though I would like to see nvidia come up with their own open air cooler solution.
So we would have the choice between 2-3 variants at release.

Renekton

Im betting end of the year for Volta to start to show off (first in the scientific area with deep learning accelerators, TESLA, QUADRO etc), by Then we will have a idea of its performance.

But it will be painfull to resist to a full modified enraged AIB custom 1080ti :(
Just go by a fixed +x% rule (within set budget) so you don't have to chase architectures :D

Sarcasm

So this will be my first Ti purchase. I have to order from the states and ship to where I live. I believe EVGA honors warranty regardless where you buy it.

Will they have that hybrid one? That the one with a thing you install on top of the PC?

Renekton

So this will be my first Ti purchase. I have to order from the states and ship to where I live. I believe EVGA honors warranty regardless where you buy it.

Will they have that hybrid one? That the one with a thing you install on top of the PC?
Wait... don't you hang out in Taiwan? They got the good stuff, mon.

It's not underwhelming. It's best blower type cooler ever mass produced. Nvidia branded reference type cards need to work in any enviroment and every configuration so they have to be equipped with blower like cooler as they have to accomodate small cramped ITX cases and multi gpu configurations.

And the Titan/ 80Ti ones aren't cheap to make since they use vapour chamber.

dr_rus

Scientific area Volta is pretty much guaranteed to show up in about two months at GTC 2017.

Skyr

Could the 1080Ti hit 120 fps @4K in Overwatch on max settings?

No
overwatch.jpg

The GTX 1080 price drop caught my attention but I think I'm gonna wait and see what Vega brings to the table. I'd like to improve the image quality on my 1080p display by running more games at 1440p+ 60 fps and using higher settings where possible.

A 1535MHz GTX 970 to a 2GHz GTX 1080 is theoretically 2x faster which is what I upgrade my GPU to after 2+ years if the price is feasible for me and I'd like more performance.

gdt

I'm not comfortable overclocking on my own so I'd rather get one of the custom cards already doing that...

But if the wait is that long I might just get the fe :(

Skyr

I'm not comfortable overclocking on my own so I'd rather get one of the custom cards already doing that...

But if the wait is that long I might just get the fe :(

Don't you have a working 980ti now?
Just relax and enjoy until the real deal cards are dropping.

ye I'm also trying to calm myself sitting on a 1070.. it's ridiculous ;p

GG. This just killed the future resale price of my Titan XP by a significant chunk.

Never again. Ti all the way forever. Lesson learned. What a kick in the pants...

Top Bottom