• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Streets of Rage 4 is out, which IP should Lizardcube/Dotemu take on next?

Now that Streets of Rage 4 is out, which IP should Lizardcube/Dotemu take on next?

• Final Fight

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Golden Axe

Votes: 47 31.8%
  • Alien Storm

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Shinobi

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Comix Zone

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • TMNT

Votes: 26 17.6%
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Alex Kidd

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Metal Slug

• Gauntlet

• Total voters

TaroYamada

Because this isn't Streets of Rage and the art style doesn't work at all for the game. I rather they did their own thing and leave SEGA's IP alone myself.

Gotta disagree -- what franchise has the same visual style it did on Genesis/SNES? Things change but in terms of gameplay this is a very faithful take on SoR imo. I just wish they had incorporated dash/roll from SoR3 on the new versions of Axel/Blaze.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree -- what franchise has the same visual style it did on Genesis/SNES? Things change but in terms of gameplay this is a very faithful take on SoR imo. I just wish they had incorporated dash/roll from SoR3 on the new versions of Axel/Blaze.

You can keep the look and feel of the old visual style of the 16-bit games on.modsrn systems, like blazing chrome showed . This feels to me like what it really is, a indie game using a SEGA classic . Im happy for you that you like it . It's not a bad game, just not really SOR IV for me

An ideal marriage for Lizardcube would be a franchise like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, particularly a TMNT game based around the 1980s/1990s cartoon designs. Much as I enjoyed the developer's work on the remake of Wonder Boy III, their house-style doesn't fit the grittier, more-precise aesthetic of Streets of Rage. As long as the studio maintains its more whimsical art direction, I'd like to seem them focused on titles already rooted in similar visuals.

From SEGA, a remake of Monster World IV, similar to their previous Wonder Boy outing, would be superb; I could also see them working on the Oasis series, a new Shining Force (with an attempt to actually look like those first two games), and new entries in series like Guardian & Gunstar Heroes would be appreciated (yes, the lack of Treasure is heresy, but the developer does little more nowadays than help with porting Ikaruga).

Miles708

You can keep the look and feel of the old visual style of the 16-bit games on.modsrn systems, like blazing chrome showed . This feels to me like what it really is, a indie game using a SEGA classic . Im happy for you that you like it . It's not a bad game, just not really SOR IV for me

You have a point here but I think that it would be nearly impossible, for a western team, to mimic the style of the original SoR. It's actually a good thing that they went all-in with a "re-imagining", because a simple copy/paste could have been potentially ridiculous, given the differences in style and design.
A sequel made directly from Sega would have been the best scenario, but this here is the next-best thing.

That said, I love them and I love their style, but if they touch Shinobi I'm grabbing the pitchfork.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Golden Axe would be great but I actually have 2 ideas:

Sonic. Totally redrawn and with the same old physics. I love what they did on Wonder Boy so they know platforming well even if it was just a reskin.

But what i would REALLY love to see is a Streets of Rage Fighting game. The cast is there. They are charismatic. Movesets are great. I would be all over a 1v1 fighter.
Also... add one more idea. A brand new Kid Chameleon

Last edited:

RetroAV

Golden Axe would be great but I actually have 2 ideas:

Sonic. Totally redrawn and with the same old physics. I love what they did on Wonder Boy so they know platforming well even if it was just a reskin.

But what i would REALLY love to see is a Streets of Rage Fighting game. The cast is there. They are charismatic. Movesets are great. I would be all over a 1v1 fighter.
Also... add one more idea. A brand new Kid Chameleon
Streets of Rage 4 has a versus mode that is sort of like a fighting game, I think (haven't tried it yet). So if it's going to be a fighting game, I think at this point I'd prefer something like a Fighter's Megamix 2 with characters from Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Eternal Champions, Last Bronx, Shenmue, Yakuza, etc.

If it's going to be more like Smash Bros., then I guess you can include Kid Chameleon, Virtual On, Vectorman, Altered Beast, ESWAT, Ristar, NiGHTS, Comix Zone, Astal, Phantasy Star, Burning Rangers, Shining Force, Space Harrier, Clockwork Knight, Jet Set Radio, etc. as well. WITH stages from each respective game, please. Thank you. -_-

Inuteu

Just thought that Comix Zone would also be a great candidate (added to poll)

CoordinatedAntiqueArkshell-size_restricted.gif

remind me of this:

tumblr_o69wmte1D81skasmxo1_400.gifv

Top Bottom