• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Streets of Rage 4 is out, which IP should Lizardcube/Dotemu take on next?

Now that Streets of Rage 4 is out, which IP should Lizardcube/Dotemu take on next?

• Final Fight

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Golden Axe

Votes: 47 31.8%
  • Alien Storm

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Shinobi

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Comix Zone

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • TMNT

Votes: 26 17.6%
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Alex Kidd

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Metal Slug

• Gauntlet

• Total voters
Hard to say. With Streets of Rage all the fundamentals already existed and they just ran with it. I don't know how they'd fare with something where the core gameplay doesn't really hold up, like with Golden Axe.

Though just based on SoR4 I think they'd be a good fit for a new TMNT (Based on the SNES gameplay, not arcade). If it had to be a Sega property though...Dynamite Cop if they can handle 3d.

SirTerry-T

Tower_of_Doom_sales_flyer.png

Shadow_over_Mystara_sales_flyer.png

Magician_Lord_arcade_flyer.jpg
Dragons Crown was practically a reboot of the Capcom D&D brawlers, I think Vanillaware's George Kamitani worked on at least one of those titles back in his Capcom days.

SirTerry-T

I believe it gives you an extra life every stage you make it to. It's not that difficult in all seriousness.

Regarding the topic, SOR4 is ok but has things that could definitely be improved. A new character designer. I think a lot of their original character designs aren't great. New composers would certainly help. Maybe on their own IP, they would be better suited to that, I'm not sure.

I can't speak for Wonder Boy as I haven't played it yet.

So personally, I don't want them doing another SEGA franchise or any other franchises that have been succesful in the past. I would prefer they tackle something else. I'm not familiar with their work but maybe an original IP and see what they're really capable of doing on their own.
You're not a fan of Ben Fiquet's work? I personally think a lot of the attraction of Lizardcube's Sega work has been down to that guy's artstyle but each to their own.

Kazza

You're not a fan of Ben Fiquet's work? I personally think a lot of the attraction of Lizardcube's Sega work has been down to that guy's artstyle but each to their own.

I think he has shown a lot of flexibility. Also SoR4 could still be said to be cartoony, it's definitely grittier than Wonder Boy.

Here's a quick concept art he did for Kid Chameleon:

DY1rrKGVAAAS41V

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Shinobi 3. But that's a SP game.

I'm thinking any more remakes they do will have an MP element to them.

Golden Axe seems like it would fit, but those are short games. SoR 2 is probably a good half hour plus to beat. GA games you can plow through in probably 15 minutes. Seems like a lot of effort for a short pay off, unless they remaster GA 1, 2 and 3 all in one.

Sega still owns the SOR license? When I didn't see their logo on the box or trailers I just assumed they sold it at some point.

Comix Zone would be awesome, but make it so most people can actually get past the first couple levels...

Kazza

Sega still owns the SOR license? When I didn't see their logo on the box or trailers I just assumed they sold it at some point.

Comix Zone would be awesome, but make it so most people can actually get past the first couple levels...

Yep, they just leased it to Dotemu, just as they did the Panzer IP to Freedom. Their logo shows up at the beginning:

VgcGNDz.png

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I believe it gives you an extra life every stage you make it to. It's not that difficult in all seriousness.
True, but it is still not the Ideal way to play this game. 3 lives at the start and more after beating each stage could've been much better, but hey, what do I know....

Last edited:
Absolutely love WIndjammers! (Watched the video a few posts above me) I played it going on Holiday with my Vita (and paid the full £11.99 asking price).

The only problem I had with the game is the lack of other stuff to do (the mini game ends too quickly) and the Difficulty spike between Normal and Hard (I can do Normal without losing a Life, but Hard requires you to do it on 1 Life and the CPU is way too hard to beat.

Oh, and the Online is pretty much dead on arrival.

Last edited:

FranXico

I think he has shown a lot of flexibility. Also SoR4 could still be said to be cartoony, it's definitely grittier than Wonder Boy.

Here's a quick concept art he did for Kid Chameleon:

DY1rrKGVAAAS41V

I would love to see his concept for a Sonic 5.

FranXico

Dot Emu (French Publisher) is releasing WindJammer 2 next.
Windjammer has a cult following in France so you may not like the Artstyle but they won't betray us on the game feel.

btw, have you heard if the WJ2 Switch exclusivity is timed?

Kazza

Absolutely love WIndjammers! (Watched the video a few posts above me) I played it going on Holiday with my Vita (and paid the full £11.99 asking price).

The only problem I had with the game is the lack of other stuff to do (the mini game ends too quickly) and the Difficulty spike between Normal and Hard (I can do Normal without losing a Life, but Hard requires you to do it on 1 Life and the CPU is way too hard to beat.

Oh, and the Online is pretty much dead on arrival.

Does any online game have an active user base on Vita nowadays?

When I tried when the game was 2 weeks old, I could get absolutely no one on it, and I believe that was THE biggest criticism of the game, as DotEmu didn't have great Netcode on it, but I could never get a match close to launch, which is a shame.

FranXico

Windjammers online is dead also on PS4 because it released with broken online play. I don't know what happened, because they took way too long to fix it (several months).

FranXico

When I tried when the game was 2 weeks old, I could get absolutely no one on it, and I believe that was THE biggest criticism of the game, as DotEmu didn't have great Netcode on it, but I could never get a match close to launch, which is a shame.
It was worse than not great. It simply was completely broken.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I thought you were referring to WJ1 netcode.

Last edited:

Alphagear

None. Leave it to Sega.

Didn't think SOR4 was all that.

Forgettable soundtrack. Not even close to SOR1 AND SOR2.

Mobile graphics which I can't seem to like no matter how much I try.

Average bosses with no variety. Bosses being reused in stages. We even had bosses from previous games.

Locations all looked similar.

I could go on and on.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Doing another beat 'em up from another company makes no sense, so no Final Fight or Double Dragon. They're better off keeping the relationship with Sega and/or Yuzo Koshiro going. Shinobi sounds like a likely choice given its connection to both those entities.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Dot Emu (French Publisher) is releasing WindJammer 2 next.
Windjammer has a cult following in France so you may not like the Artstyle but they won't betray us on the game feel.

I've thought this since the late 8-bit home computer days but outside of Japan, French developed games possibly have the most distinctive artistic flair...must be the influence of their institutions like the Gobelins Art School, etc.

Old Retro

You take Alex Kidd and make it a Metroidvania and I'll buy it for any price!!!

You could never 2d Golden Axe or Shinobi again, they've already ascended to 3rd person platformer.

Ballthyrm

Must be the influence of their institutions like the Gobelins Art School, etc.

Gobelins is all about animation, especially 2D animation.
They aren't that many Alumni from there that are making video games.

France has a big animation industry and Gobelins is like in the top 3 best animation school worldwide.
This school is way too prestigious to make games, they usually get hired straight out of school by Pixar/ Dreamworks.

Saber

Gold Member
Now that I remember, I think they could do some work in Wolfchild for MD. Its not a bad game and could really use a help of some tweaks and quality life changes.

I could include The Adventures of Batman and Robin for MD, but it certainly not possible.

TaroYamada

Hopefully nothing to do with any SEGA IP

Why? They're doing a pretty solid job -- I'm happier with this as a successor to SoR than I was with Shenmue 3 as a sequel to Shenmue (sadly), and reception seems better than the PD remake which I'll eventually play at some point. Space Channel 5 VR hit too, haven't had a chance to play that either though.

RAIDEN1

I think whatever Sega franchise they do decide to look at next won't be out until at least 2022, seeing as they took near enough an age, just to get Streets of Rage 4 out...

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Sequel + Golden Axe... Then Revenge of Shibo remake + Sequels to all 3 again lol.
Rinse + repeat, more sega classics done well. Sonic Mania was awesome too.

Then Sega can do some bigger remakes and sequels. Like Saturn games

Why? They're doing a pretty solid job -- I'm happier with this as a successor to SoR than I was with Shenmue 3 as a sequel to Shenmue (sadly), and reception seems better than the PD remake which I'll eventually play at some point. Space Channel 5 VR hit too, haven't had a chance to play that either though.

Because this isn't Streets of Rage and the art style doesn't work at all for the game. I rather they did their own thing and leave SEGA's IP alone myself.

RetroAV

Because this isn't Streets of Rage and the art style doesn't work at all for the game. I rather they did their own thing and leave SEGA's IP alone myself.
Personally, I love SoR4! It lives up to the name in (mostly) every way! I can understand what you mean in terms of the art (I wasn't feeling it either at first, but it has grown on me the more I play). At the same time...if Sega's going to let their IP's just sit there and rot, I'd rather see SOMEONE take a shot and see how it goes (Sonic Mania, SoR4) instead of the alternative (Sonic 4/Forces & no SoR).

Personally, I love SoR4! It lives up to the name in (mostly) every way! I can understand what you mean in terms of the art (I wasn't feeling it either at first, but it has grown on me the more I play). At the same time...if Sega's going to let their IP's just sit there and rot, I'd rather see SOMEONE take a shot and see how it goes (Sonic Mania, SoR4) instead of the alternative (Sonic 4/Forces & no SoR).
I had no issues with WonderBoy . But I'm not a huge fan of SOR 4 a nd while Sonic mania looked lovely, I didn't enjoy the gane .

Unlike most, I do enjoy the Sonic 3D games . If SEGA is to remakes of sequels to classic IP. I like to see a remake of SOA done in the Canvas engine, remake of Sonic Adv in the Hedehog 2 engine and for AM#2 to make a sequel to Power Drift

Top Bottom