• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Streets of Rage 4 is out, which IP should Lizardcube/Dotemu take on next?

Now that Streets of Rage 4 is out, which IP should Lizardcube/Dotemu take on next?

• Final Fight

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Golden Axe

Votes: 47 31.8%
  • Alien Storm

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Shinobi

Votes: 34 23.0%
  • Comix Zone

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • TMNT

Votes: 26 17.6%
  • Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Alex Kidd

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Metal Slug

• Gauntlet

• Total voters

Kazza

With the recent Streets of Rage 4 being so well received and the successful remake of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap already under their belt, which IP should they focus on next? Since they already have an excellent side-scrolling beat'em engine and a good relationship with Sega in place, Golden Axe seems the most obvious and likely choice. For me personally, if they were to take on another Sega brawler, then I would c=like to see an Alien Storm sequel:

giphy.gif
InfamousSelfassuredGrebe-size_restricted.gif
PeskyEvilIsopod-size_restricted.gif

I think it has a nice variety of playstyles, plus the team at Lizardcube could really do a good job on the art-style.

Of course, there is another (non-Sega) brawler that is also long overdue a sequel:

DarlingWhiteCats-size_restricted.gif

If it needn't be a brawler, then my top choice would be a Shinobi game. I don't think any of the 16-bit games need a remaster, they still look, sound and play great today. The two Game Gear ones would be better candidates for a remake, but even then I would just prefer a brand new game (with some nostalgic easter eggs thrown in). Following the Megaman style gameplay of the Game Gear games would be fun though (with different ninjas each with their own abilities)

GG_Shinobi_Part_II_The_The_Silent_Fury_1992_Sega_screenshot.gif

Any more ideas, GAF? (I can add them to the poll)

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just thought that Comix Zone would also be a great candidate (added to poll)

CoordinatedAntiqueArkshell-size_restricted.gif
This game is timeless visually and gameplay-wise, but it has some problems which remake can fix for sure - one goddamn life to beat an entire game comes to mind first. Like....

vNJCWmi.jpg

Last edited:

Miles708

Sega should take these project in-house, dammit!

That said, i would be curious about how they would rethink something like Ristar (which has A TON of cool animations) or Ecco The Dolphin, that could be closer to their european art style.

I'm not sure about Comix Zone, it's an awesome game but already has all the "comic" feel it needs.

EDIT:

This game is timeless visually and gameplay-wise, but it has some problems which remake can fix for sure - one goddamn life to beat an entire game comes to mind first. Like....

vNJCWmi.jpg

I'm pretty sure the game gives you one extra life after the 3rd stage or so. I need to try that again.
It's brutal anyway.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I think there maybe some clues to which franchise they would like to have a crack at next if you look closely at some of the background art in SOR4...

cireza

Having seen their excellent work on Dragon's Trap, and now Streets of Rage 4, my opinion would tend towards Shining Force 4.

They already have the talent and skill to give life to a medieval game, they could produce the graphics, backgrounds and characters without a doubt.
Olivier Derivière would definitely be up to the task of creating a quality soundtrack that would fit such a game.

Will probably be Shinobi though.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
First game came to mind was Power Drift, but I'd take more beat 'em ups if they offered. Golden Axe is due for a proper revival.

51wNmzABMbL._SY445_.jpg

Kazza

vNJCWmi.jpg

Oh, I meant a sequel, not a remake. I played the original for the first time recently and it still holds up great.

I think there maybe some clues to which franchise they would like to have a crack at next if you look closely at some of the background art in SOR4...

Things were too hectic on my first playthrough, I'll have to pay more attention when I play again tomorrow. Please be Shinobi......

Kazza

I would love to see what this team could do with the TMNT. ❤ 💙 💜 🧡

I recently played a couple of TMNT games on the Xbox 360 - both were terrible. The SNES, Megadrive and arcade games still play well though. I think any new game would need to add a few new moves though, as the gameplay is a little basic, even for a brawler. The game could also do with more enemy types. Definitely potential there though.

yurinka

I think Golden Axe, TMNT or Alien Storm.
A Streets of Rage 5 (or SoR4 DLC with a few extra stages -maybe with a new small story- and specially remaining playable characters like Shiva, Max, Estel, Skate, Victy and Ash).

RetroAV

Hmm...I can see them doing Alex Kidd, Batman: The Animated Series, Beyond Oasis, Comix Zone, ESWAT, Eternal Champions, Golden Axe, Kid Chameleon, QuackShot, Rocket Knight Adventures, or Shinobi.

Personally, I would want Batman, ESWAT, Eternal Champions, Golden Axe, or Shinobi.

Saber

Gold Member
Shinobi(revenge of Shinobi Mega Drive) and Alex Kidd(Sega Master System).

I would risk including Kenseiden...but I think its fine the way it is now.

Honorable choices as well:
Golden Axe, Shinobi Master System, Asterix Great Rescue Master System

Last edited:

kingbean

I was a skeptic but they really did a great job. I disliked the art style at first but it's really well done.

As much as I love Shinobi I picked Golden Axe.

Revenge of death adder is the only good one imo and they could do that justice and bring an amazing golden Axe game home.

sircaw

Banned
i do like Golden axe and Shinobi.

Saying that my favourite games from Mega drive days was Strider and desert strike but that would be way to short.

Last edited:

SegaShack

I wish they were doing Battletoads. Not sure why but the new one looks awful. Then again I was skeptical about SoR4 until pretty recently.

SirTerry-T

For those hoping for Golden Axe, here was some art the SoR artist recently did depicting the Tyris Flare:

EUTnWgjWkAExUqT

Before anyone gets too excited, he did stress that it was just for fun.
That's awesome! I do love the way he embraces the inked brushstrokes of classic comic art and doesn't try to polish it up too much. The spontaneity of his line work helps so much in giving the characters movement, even in static shots. Plus his take on Tyra looks a lot like Frank Frazetta's work on Ralph Bakshi's "Fire and Ice" film... perfect old school swords and sorcery stuff :)

Kokoloko85

Shinobi or Golden Axe. Big Sega Classics.
Comic zone and metal slug would be amazing as with the others. But when it comes to the Holy Classics of the Megadrive/Genesis.... Its Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and Revenge of Shinobi.

vNJCWmi.jpg

I believe it gives you an extra life every stage you make it to. It's not that difficult in all seriousness.

Regarding the topic, SOR4 is ok but has things that could definitely be improved. A new character designer. I think a lot of their original character designs aren't great. New composers would certainly help. Maybe on their own IP, they would be better suited to that, I'm not sure.

I can't speak for Wonder Boy as I haven't played it yet.

So personally, I don't want them doing another SEGA franchise or any other franchises that have been succesful in the past. I would prefer they tackle something else. I'm not familiar with their work but maybe an original IP and see what they're really capable of doing on their own.

Last edited:

Banned
controversial opinion: GoldenAxe was never good and doesn't deserve a reboot. BUT we know that these devs would make a good game out of it since they managed to make the best Streets of Rage game... and making the best GoldenAxe game is not that hard to accomplish lol

Top Bottom