• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yorker: Harvey Weinstein's Accusers Tell Their Stories

Boke1879

I’m so glad we could focus on what really matters here, which is imagined vague consequences for political parties pulled directly from one’s ass.

I’m so glad these women could come forward to give us this gift.

Yup instead of getting behind the victims and shaming this piece of shit.

Someone made it political of all things and it's working as intended on some people.

KHarvey16

Nah, come off that. All the tweets support that almost everyone knew. Chastain, Paltrow, Matt Damon, the Afflecks, Russel Crowe, Meryl Streep, Ashley Judd, Lena Dunham, etc.

The NYT called more than 40(!!!) industry professionals who flatly REFUSED to comment for the story.

There are multiple stories out there now stating that this is not uncommon in Hollywood and people in the business know about this.

You can't tell me that the Democratic Party machinery didn't know this guy had some fucking massive skeletons in his closet. For a First Family as squeaky clean as the Obamas to get pulled into this is bad optically.

Matt Damon, Russell Crowe and Ben Affleck said they knew? Or are you misconstruing half stories that didn’t actually say they knew that but folks who didn’t read them assumed they did?

Plenty of people commenting and saying they knew nothing of his abuses. Rumors are rumors. 40 people not commenting doesn’t mean they knew either.

Or maybe everyone is lying and the Obama’s sent their child to work for a man they and literally everyone knew was a rapist. Yep, that sounds reasonable.

kitzkozan

WK30Fnn.gif

Hollywood culture has to change and it's a step in the right direction since this will have many Weinstein wannabe shook.

WHY IS THIS POLITICAL.

BECAUSE THIS PERSON DONATED MILLIONS TO POLITICAL PARTIES AND CANDIDATES.

BECAUSE THIS PERSON WAS PRAISED HEAD TO TOE BY SUCH CANDIDATES.

BECAUSE THIS SITUATION WAS WELL KNOWN IN HOLLYWOOD FOR YEARS IF NOT DECADES.

Sorry for the yelling hehe. But if Democrats dont want this to become an issue for them they need to address the situation, just like Hillary smartly did so just now.

Scuffed

Holy crap this guy was a monster. A serial sex offender who got away with it for decades. The thing is though that women feel brave enough to come forward these days so these fucks can't get away with it anymore. The number of women that have come forward about Weinstein is what is the most shocking.

Shame on those in Hollywood that have said they never knew about him I get politicians might not be aware but in Hollywood? Gtfo. This was the quintessential worst kept secret.

Politicians are responsible for the people they receive money from. In this case, specially because of how much money Harvey gave and how widespread the rumors about his behavior were already. I dont see why people are surprised that this is tainting the Clinton campaign.

This is just exhausting. She's conveyed her horror regarding him. She disavowed him.

I'm really upset that this is the first thing people think of. It's the right's opportunity to "both sides" this shit when it has nothing to do with sides or politics.

Sorry for the yelling hehe. But if Democrats dont want this to become an issue for them they need to address the situation, just like Hillary smartly did so just now.

How much addressing needs to be done? If this becomes an "issue" it's because of brainwashed conservatives and shitty "both sides" fence sitters.

platocplx

We elected a man on tape saying grab them by the pussy.

Scuffed

This is just exhausting. She's conveyed her horror regarding him. She disavowed him.

I'm really upset that this is the first thing people think of. It's the right's opportunity to "both sides" this shit when it has nothing to do with sides or politics.

He was a very political man so for politics not to come up would be very surprising imo. As for Hillary there is never much more a person can do than disavow so I don't see a problem.

How much addressing needs to be done? If this becomes an "issue" it's because of brainwashed conservatives and shitty "both sides" fence sitters.

My personal opinion? What Clinton said should be enough. But thats not what CNN and other "both sidders" seems to want. Dems should do whatever it takes to avoid this becoming a political counter attack for Trump and his rape-y shit.

My personal opinion? What Clinton said should be enough. But thats not what CNN and other "both sidders" seems to want. Dems should do whatever it takes to avoid this becoming a political counter attack for Trump and his rape-y shit.

There isn't more they could reasonably do. Also Hillary is not running for office, and will not be doing so in 2018 or 2020.

yursnhere

If Obama or Democrats had any inkling of this, do you really think he would have sent his daughter to intern for this creep?

How many people insisting on talking up what this means or should mean for the future of the Democratic party, think that's what the women who came forward for the article want you to be talking about?

platocplx

How many people insisting on talking up what this means or should mean for the future of the Democratic party, think that's what the women who came forward for the article want you to be talking about?

right its insane. lmao this is a pattern of powerful men taking advantage of women, trump, Fox hosts, cosby, now weinstein. Im still waiting for people to get r-kelly out the paint as well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
They'll just move the goalposts.

Indeed.

JABEE

Institutions enable criminals like Weinstein. Part of his pull and ability to continue to act this way was his hold over the tabloids and the elected New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance.

The stuff about strategy and how it impacts Trump's ability to counter-punch seems outside what a victim would want talked about, but politicians accepting money from this man is definitely worth talking about.

Politicians which includes DAs not prosecuting cases has everything to do with money and politics. The manipulation of the press and tabloids has the same powerful reverberations as any other sexual assault scandal.

It's akin to saying the Sandusky case is just about Sandusky and not the state politics and local adulation that enabled a monster.

Because it's a ridiculous angle and you're saying it's a legitimate angle. Of course Rs may use it as an angle but hell they will use massacres that didn't happen as an angle. To aknowlege a rediculius claim is to give it some legitimacy. Dont feed trolls. Or troll articles in this case.

The optics of it looking bad for her to keep silent while also being the largest beneficiary of his political contributions is a legitimate concern but given that she's corrected that by making a damming response, I'd say the issue is no longer a problem.

Thank you, I came in here hoping to find a discussion about the abuse of power and why people look the other way and allow it to happen. Instead some naive posters swallowed the bait from divide and get rich CNN and started arguing politics.

Linkura

That's what these producers do. They take advantage of young actors and actresses promising money and fame in exchange for sex. I'm sure he did this to Jolie before she was a star.

The thing that's even crazier to me about this is he went after children of people who were already stars- Jon Voight, Blythe Danner, and Dario Argento's daughters. He didn't even seem to care that they had Hollywood connections and that it might get out.

hollomat

Banned
Nah, come off that. All the tweets support that almost everyone knew. Chastain, Paltrow, Matt Damon, the Afflecks, Russel Crowe, Meryl Streep, Ashley Judd, Lena Dunham, etc.

The NYT called more than 40(!!!) industry professionals who flatly REFUSED to comment for the story.

There are multiple stories out there now stating that this is not uncommon in Hollywood and people in the business know about this.

You can't tell me that the Democratic Party machinery didn't know this guy had some fucking massive skeletons in his closet. For a First Family as squeaky clean as the Obamas to get pulled into this is bad optically.

I’d remove Ashley Judd from that list. She is on the record in The NY Times article.

Thought Streep said she didn't know?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/meryl-streep-harvey-weinstein_us_59db5d87e4b072637c45420e

Her statement literally says "not everyone knew"

This guy harassed Angelina Jolie??? Surprised she didn't knock him out.

It was for a project from before she made it to A+ List status. There's no way he wouldn't have destroyed her career had she retaliate.

She did say that she refused to ever work with him since and has always warned women who work with him.

D i Z

People being more concerned about the political optics for their party than the actual crimes and lives themselves... Reevaluate your priorities. This is why you ain't shit.

MIMIC

Banned
It was for a project from before she made it to A+ List status. There's no way he wouldn't have destroyed her career had she retaliate.

She did say that she refused to ever work with him since and has always warned women who work with him.

That really angers me. Taking advantage of someone that vulnerable, knowing how little power they have, compared to how powerful they are.

She should go back to him and kick his ass, Tomb Raider/Mrs. Smith style.

Top Bottom