• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Andrew Callaghan, Popular Host of ‘All Gas No Brakes’ and ‘Channel 5,’ Accused of Sexual Misconduct [Rolling Stone]

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Andrew Callaghan, Popular Host of ‘All Gas No Brakes’ and ‘Channel 5,’ Accused of Sexual Misconduct​

Two women have come forward on TikTok to accuse the 'This Place Rules' filmmaker of pressuring them into sexual encounters
On his YouTube channelChannel 5 and in his recent HBO Max documentary This Place Rules, 25-year-old Andrew Callaghan has amassed millions of fans as a goofy, deadpan interlocutor, highlighting the absurdities of modern culture. His straight-faced interviews with fringe members of contemporary society — prepubescent MAGA heads, QAnon influencers, Flat Earthers — often went viral, with Callaghan becoming something of a celebrity of the online left.

Yet on TikTok, Callaghan is now going viral for far less innocuous reasons. Two women have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct, accusing the internet personality of pressuring them to have sex and failing to adhere to the boundaries of consent. Callaghan did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Rolling Stone.

Caroline Elise, a TikToker who goes by the handle @cornbreadasserole, posted a video last week recounting her alleged experience with Callaghan. In her video, she alleges Callaghan asked to stay at her place after having a falling out with one of his crew members. Though she said she told him she was not interested in sleeping with him, he nonetheless “eventually got my consent because he wore me down,” she said in the video. “I said whatever because I was trying to get the whole thing over with…it doesn’t discount that I told him no. [He] still found a way to coerce me into doing things I didn’t want to do.”

In the video, Elise said she did not wish to come forward, only doing so after Callaghan skyrocketed in popularity. “It’s even more hard to have to relive the trauma that I endured every single day by seeing this man as a social justice warrior, as someone who cares about human rights, get a platform,” she says. “You shouldn’t be supporting him.”

Another TikToker, Dana, or @moldyfreckle, posted her own series of videos on Jan. 8, claiming that Callaghan had also pressured her into having sex with him. In one video, she alleges that she had hooked up with Callaghan once but found him “mean” and “demanding,” and that he had “creeped [her] out.” When he reached out to her again, she alleges, she declined to hook up with him, only for him to invite her to dinner so he could apologize for his behavior. At the dinner, he allegedly repeatedly asked to have sex with her in her car; though she said no, she offered to drive him home, “though I did not want to have sex with him again ever,” she said.

Editor’s picks​

While in the car, @moldyfreckle alleges, Callaghan touched her inner thigh, kissed her neck, and attempted to put his hand down her pants. “I told him to stop. I told him to get off of me multiple times,” she says in the video. “He tried to put my hand down his pants and I was fighting against him during this, telling him to please stop.” She then claims she told him repeatedly to leave her car, which she says he finally did, though he asked if she could give him oral sex beforehand. Though she says they never spoke again after this incident, in response to commenters requesting receipts backing up her claims, @moldyfreckle also shared screen recordings of DMs she allegedly exchanged with Callaghan making plans to meet up to show that the two had previously been in contact.

As the host of the popular YouTube channel All Gas No Brakes, which he created while studying journalism at Loyola University New Orleans, Callaghan traveled across the country in his RV, doing man-on-the-street interviews with various eccentric figures. In his ill-fitting beige suit with a mop of curly hair, he became a familiar fixture at QAnon rallies, furry cons, and Flat Earther meetups, showcasing the underbelly of popular culture.

Though the tone of Callaghan’s channel started out as largely comedic, it later evolved into more of a vehicle of social consciousness, with Callaghan becoming something of a celebrity of the online left. After he announced in the spring of 2021 that he had left All Gas No Brakes due to contractual disputes, he started a new channel, Channel 5, which has more than two million subscribers.

His 2022 HBO Max film This Place Rules, produced with A24, features interviews with various members of the far right leading up to the events of the Jan. 6, 2021, attempted insurrection at the Capitol. The film was helmed by Abso Lutely Productions, the production company founded by Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim of Tim and Eric fame.

Trending​

Callaghan, HBO, and A24 did not respond to requests for comment from Rolling Stone. Reps for Heidecker and Wareheim also did not respond to a request for comment.

UPDATE:​

Andrew responds via lawyer. The girl(s) involved apparently sought payment in some capacity.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm waiting for a comment from Andrew before I weigh in. I've been a huge fan of his work since AGNB. Disappointing to hear but I believe he is capable of rehabilitation if it is true, which it seems to be from comments made by Ethan Klein.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I connected him and a friend of mine who is a famous Flat Earther when he was doing AGNB and going to a FE convention. I never met him or anything just sent him a IG message.
His best work has been in those weird niche communities. Though his more recent political coverage has been incredible as well. This Place Rules is a phenomenal watch.

I hope he gets the help he needs. The worlds needs more coverage like Channel 5 IMO.

“I told him to stop. I told him to get off of me multiple times,” she says in the video. “He tried to put my hand down his pants and I was fighting against him during this, telling him to please stop.” She then claims she told him repeatedly to leave her car, which she says he finally did, though he asked if she could give him oral sex beforehand.

As the host of the popular YouTube channel All Gas No Brakes...

:pie_thinking:

nush

Gold Member
I don't know who this guy is, anyway. Time to dust off the #metoo bingo card.

Two women have come forward on TikTok to accuse

Strike one, going to social media for a dogpile instead of the authorities.
pressuring them to have sex and failing to adhere to the boundaries of consent
So, what's the actual crime here? It's not sexual assault or rape.
Callaghan asked to stay at her place after having a falling out with one of his crew members.
Did the crew member live in Callagans home or something?
she said she told him she was not interested in sleeping with him
So stick to that then...
eventually got my consent because
These is no because, you gave consent and it's not like it was at gunpoint or it would have been the SA you're trying to frame this regret sex as.

If someone offers me dick (Still waiting Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage ) and I'm not into dick, I'm not going to be worn down until I take dick to "Get it over with". Same goes for any women I don't want to sex.

I said whatever because I was trying to get the whole thing over with…
There's a much easier way to "Get the whole thing over with", It's called "Get the fuck out my house before I call the cops".
Elise said she did not wish to come forward, only doing so after Callaghan skyrocketed in popularity
This is called clout chasing.
trauma that I endured every single day by seeing this man as a social justice warrior, as someone who cares about human rights, get a platform,”
You don't say...
RUDR7i.png

Onto accuser number 2 who has in no way swapped notes with accuser one.
she alleges that she had hooked up with Callaghan once
These women sure like having sex with a man they don't want to.

found him “mean” and “demanding,” and that he had “creeped [her] out
Regret sex retconned as bad sex. But is was consensual. Again where the crime?
she declined to hook up with him, only for him to invite her to dinner so he could apologize for his behavior
Why are you going to dinner with a man you claim is *Checks notes* "mean, demanding and creepy"? Is a free dinner your kryponite?
At the dinner, he allegedly repeatedly asked to have sex with her in her car
Hmm, don't let this guy in your car. :unsure:
she offered to drive him home
Man that you find "mean, demanding and creepy" that's asked to have sex in your car over dinner. Hey, I'll give you a lift, in my car. You can't make this shit up.

The guy probably is a socially awkward creep when it comes to getting sex. But these women have multiple times said one thing and done the exact opposite.
There's no crimes here just regret sex from some star fuckers who jumped on this guy too soon before he got much more famous.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Apparently they asked Andrew for money. I’m going to wait for more details before saying much else.

A legal rep for the journalist tells TMZ, "Andrew is devastated that he is being accused of any type of physical or mental coercion against anyone. Conversations about pressure and consent are extremely important and Andrew wants to have these conversations, so he can continue to learn and grow."

Adding, "While every dynamic is open to interpretation and proper communication is critical from all those involved, repeated requests for money should not be part of these conversations."

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I finally read the allegations. Seems entirely stupid and blown out of proportion. Both women consented and later regretted. If they asked for blackmail money there’s nothing more to be said.

Everyone should go watch This Place Rules.

Jsisto

Innocent until proven guilty. Seems more and more shady the more that comes out. Having recently discovered him, I will continue to watch and enjoy the hell out of his content. because he didn’t murder or rape anyone.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
apparently there's been accusations against him for shady behavior towards women for years. Unfortunately theres a lot of smoke. Love his content so hope it's nothing too bad. Some people just have fucked up relationship with women =/

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Innocent until proven guilty. Seems more and more shady the more that comes out. Having recently discovered him, I will continue to watch and enjoy the hell out of his content. because he didn’t murder or rape anyone.
That is....a low bar.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wow, that went from shocking to "I had sex with Andrew Callaghan, regretted it and now I want some money" REAL fast.

Jsisto

That is....a low bar.
To make me completely blacklist someone? Nah, I think it’s pretty fair. I guess I could add cruelty to animals to that list too. I don’t condone bad behavior but someone would have to do something incredibly heinous for me to write them off completely as a redeemable human being.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Caroline Elise, a TikToker who goes by the handle @cornbreadasserole, posted a video last week recounting her alleged experience with Callaghan. In her video, she alleges Callaghan asked to stay at her place after having a falling out with one of his crew members. Though she said she told him she was not interested in sleeping with him, he nonetheless “eventually got my consent because he wore me down,” she said in the video. “I said whatever because I was trying to get the whole thing over with…it doesn’t discount that I told him no. [He] still found a way to coerce me into doing things I didn’t want to do.”

Another TikToker, Dana, or @moldyfreckle, posted her own series of videos on Jan. 8, claiming that Callaghan had also pressured her into having sex with him. In one video, she alleges that she had hooked up with Callaghan once but found him “mean” and “demanding,” and that he had “creeped [her] out.” When he reached out to her again, she alleges, she declined to hook up with him, only for him to invite her to dinner so he could apologize for his behavior. At the dinner, he allegedly repeatedly asked to have sex with her in her car; though she said no, she offered to drive him home, “though I did not want to have sex with him again ever,” she said.
Boy asks a girl out.

Girl:
Shocked Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

bigbulgogi

Neo Member
It's incredible comparing the discussion here with the absolute meltdown on the Channel5 subreddit, people are out for blood. Really treating it like Andrew's already a convicted rapist, brushing off the blackmail aspect as entirely irrelevant. It's honestly kinda scary seeing how passionate so many of them get with so little factual info, then blindly having the double standard of believing an accuser of sexual assault but not one of blackmail. Having the audacity to be almost smug about it, too. It's bizarre.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's incredible comparing the discussion here with the absolute meltdown on the Channel5 subreddit, people are out for blood. Really treating it like Andrew's already a convicted rapist, brushing off the blackmail aspect as entirely irrelevant. It's honestly kinda scary seeing how passionate so many of them get with so little factual info, then blindly having the double standard of believing an accuser of sexual assault but not one of blackmail. Having the audacity to be almost smug about it, too. It's bizarre.
Low IQs.

Jsisto

Ive seen enough instances where the accused has been proven innocent, or the claims were grossly exaggerated, to know to just wait these things out and not make any assumptions either way. Most people are, unfortunately, neanderthal brained and incapable of doing this. Time and time again.

Lasha

Can't farm karma and awards here. Even people who disagree with something will pile on a pogrom thread fishing for validation and score. Celebrity accused of X threads were perfect for running up karma when I was selling reddit accounts.

Top Bottom