• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yorker: Harvey Weinstein's Accusers Tell Their Stories

<3 her.

Courtney Love told actresses to stay away from Weinstein back in 2005:
http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/14/courtney-love-harvey-weinstein-2005-warns-actresses-sexual-harassment/

Which reminds me that someone needs to hold the people that run these agencies feet to the fire. If there's anyone outside of the people that worked for him that would have known the scale of what happened, it would have been them, and I still haven't heard any stories about agents refusing to send actresses to meetings with him, just other actors/actresses giving out warnings to each other.

Linkura

Which reminds me that someone needs to hold the people that run these agencies feet to the fire. If there's anyone outside of the people that worked for him that would have known the scale of what happened, it would have been them, and I still haven't heard any stories about agents refusing to send actresses to meetings with him, just other actors/actresses giving out warnings to each other.

Agreed 100%.

Sarah Polley brings the heat!

The Men You Meet Making Movies

Her description of Weinstein:

Something she mentions there reminds me of the comments from the Wonder Woman cast. How surreal it was to be on a movie set with where most of the people around you were women; behind and (for the island scenes) in front of the camera. It's something that as casual viewers you wouldn't notice unless you read the credits, but it's true. And as we've also seen, the people writing about these movies, for press and critically, are predominantly men. It's true for every level of the industry.

Prompto

Banned
Woody Allen has said he is "sad" for Harvey Weinstein as the producer faces numerous allegations of sexual assault.

"No one ever came to me or told me horror stories with any real seriousness," Allen told the BBC. "And they wouldn't, because you are not interested in it. You are interested in making your movie. But you do hear a million fanciful rumours all the time. And some turn out to be true and some - many - are just stories about this actress, or that actor."

"The whole Harvey Weinstein thing is very sad for everybody involved," he added. "Tragic for the poor women that were involved, sad for Harvey that is life is so messed up. There's no winners in that, it's just very, very sad and tragic for those poor women that had to go through that."

Allen said he hoped the revelations, which emerged after an investigation by the New York Times, would lead to "some amelioration", but said: "You also don't want it to lead to a witch hunt atmosphere, a Salem atmosphere, where every guy in an office who winks at a woman is suddenly having to call a lawyer to defend himself. That's not right either.
But sure, you hope that something like this could be transformed into a benefit for people rather than just a sad or tragic situation."

Link

I keep on seeing the clip of Harvey saying he believes in second chances. Howabout... NO! No second chances. Would people with that much power give second chances to those who don't step in line and follow orders, even if those orders are to cover up the shadiest of shit? Sorry, Harv, You need to burn down, as well as the rest of those like you that use and abuse their power to commit horrible crimes against people. Man up and face your consequences and TAKE YOUR PUNISHMENT, DAMMIT!

Seriously, I'm all for chopping these fucks down to size. Don't matter what industry they are in, round 'em up and get 'em OUT of here. Even if some of those includes visionary talent responsible for some of the greatest things out there. Do we allow people to be sacrificed to the machine just so we could continue to have good things? Time to put a wrench to the machine. If it means the downfall of a lot of creative people, fuck it, so be it. We'll survive.

gogosox82

Okay what is with the Bernie thing??

He's going to be the speaking at a women's rally in Detroit and some people complained about him( a man) being the keynote speaker at the rally which is about womens issues instead of a woman but he's not the keynote speaker, Rep. Maxine Waters is. So there's been a lot of confusion and arguing about who's speaking at the event instead of focusing on the event itself and womens issues so I get where she is coming from.

Edit: He's also one speaker out of 60. 58 of them are women and only 2 are men. They tried to get people like Elizabeth Warren, Kristen Gillibrand, even Hillary Clinton but they declined apparently.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He's going to be the speaking at a women's rally in Detroit and some people complained about him( a man) being the keynote speaker at the rally which is about womens issues instead of a woman but he's not the keynote speaker, Rep. Maxine Waters is. So there's been a lot of confusion and arguing about who's speaking at the event instead of focusing on the event itself and womens issues so I get where she is coming from.

Edit: He's also one speaker out of 60. 58 of them are women and only 2 are men. They tried to get people like Elizabeth Warren, Kristen Gillibrand, even Hillary Clinton but they declined apparently.
I see, so it's a non-story that some concern trolls have tried to make into an outrage, I take it?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If the situation is so bad for women in the movie business, I think it could be a lot worse in the music industry. Sex sells is the motto in pop and dance music and it's been that way for decades. I shudder to think what goes on behind the scenes.

EGM1966

If the situation is so bad for women in the movie business, I think it could be a lot worse in the music industry. Sex sells is the motto in pop and dance music and it's been that way for decades. I shudder to think what goes on behind the scenes.
Friend of mine is a backing singer (female) and pretty much confirms this.

Abuse of power in this way happens in all industries but film and music I’ve always heard are the worst. Apparently modelling isn’t too clean either from what I’ve heard.

It happens in business world too as well as politics and government of course.

Top Bottom