• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yorker: Harvey Weinstein's Accusers Tell Their Stories

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
What's wild is that someone like Terry Crews, at this point in his career in his late 40s, 6'4" and buff, was afraid to say anything.
He's absolutely right though. Sure, he could have easily kicked the guy's ass, but doing so would have ruined his life. He would be in jail if not shot, and he would never find a job again. It's the right thing to do, but it would not be worth the cost to him. Bringing that guy to justice would have come at the cost of his entire livelihood and the well-being of everyone who depended on him.

The exec knew it. That's why he did it and had that shit-eating grin as a reply.

Madness

Remember when Joe Biden came out to the Oscars a few years back and asked for the industry's help in combating bullying. What a shit industry. We've long heard jokes of the casting couch but imagine what it must feel like to be so powerless. Weinstein isn't the first, sure as shit isn't the last either. Hopefully this spurs change. No more shielding the powerful. Get that Hillary Clinton bs out of here. They just want to bring that up for the fact they elected a sexual deviant and predator as President and don't want to admit it.

This is why I believe women when they speak out. Everyone should.

Heather Graham:

In the early 2000s Harvey Weinstein called me into his office. There was a pile of scripts sitting on his desk. “I want to put you in one of my movies,” he said and offered to let me choose which one I liked best. Later in the conversation, he mentioned that he had an agreement with his wife. He could sleep with whomever he wanted when he was out of town. I walked out of the meeting feeling uneasy. There was no explicit mention that to star in one of those films I had to sleep with him, but the subtext was there.

A few weeks later, I was asked to do a follow-up meeting at his hotel. I called one of my actress friends to explain my discomfort with the situation, and she offered to come with me. En route, she called me to say she couldn’t make it. Not wanting to be at the hotel alone with him, I made up an excuse — I had an early morning and would have to postpone. Harvey told me that my actress friend was already at his hotel and that both of them would be very disappointed if I didn’t show. I knew he was lying, so I politely and apologetically reiterated that I could no longer come by.

http://variety.com/2017/film/columns/heather-graham-harvey-weinstein-sex-for-movie-role-1202586113/

Like he said. Afraid no one would believe him, his job, and quite frankly. It's embarrassing as fuck.
He's absolutely right though. Sure, he could have easily kicked the guy's ass, but doing so would have ruined his life. He would be in jail if not shot, and he would never find a job again. It's the right thing to do, but it would not be worth the cost to him. Bringing that guy to justice would have come at the cost of his entire livelihood and the well-being of everyone who depended on him.

The exec knew it. That's why he did it and had that shit-eating grin as a reply.

Yeah. And it's easy to imagine how much more difficult it'll be for a young actor starting out to refuse and speak out.

BECAUSE THIS PERSON DONATED MILLIONS TO POLITICAL PARTIES AND CANDIDATES.

BECAUSE THIS PERSON WAS PRAISED HEAD TO TOE BY SUCH CANDIDATES.

BECAUSE THIS SITUATION WAS WELL KNOWN IN HOLLYWOOD FOR YEARS IF NOT DECADES.

Sorry for the yelling hehe. But if Democrats dont want this to become an issue for them they need to address the situation, just like Hillary smartly did so just now.

They knew. The didn't care. For the greater good. Disgusting.

Well, if she's going to continue being a part of the Democratic Party in any fashion then I would argue she has an obligation to think smartly and strategically.

Also, I'm not giving shit to Hillary. I'm saying she should have responded more quickly because she has nothing to hide.

And yes, to be fair, anyone who reads anything that deep into her delay is blowing the issue out of proportion but hey, welcome to politics.
Why the fuck is it Hillary's responsibility to comment on these allegations? And it's your expectation that she "get out in front" of this before any of it was substantiated?

So your bullshit spin here is "I don't care, but the GOP will therefore this matters."

Quit the concern trolling.

Can someone explain what is being said here
Affleck posted a statement a few hours ago saying how shocked and saddened he was to read the allegations.

McGowan is saying that she had a conversation with him about it at some press conference where he intimated that he knew all about it.

JoduanER2

Damn this is big, one of the biggest producer in hollywood being destroyed by sexual harassment accusations, bye bye i hope you rot in jail. (He wont since he must have enough money to buy a country)

cameron

Can someone explain what is being said here

The tweet, quoting what Ben had once told her:
BvR8pVD.png

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/917848581540757504

In response to:
jvfx9Yj.png

https://www.facebook.com/benaffleck/posts/1675252255882528

Also, a bit earlier:
NgfLjv6.png

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/917844865806778368

Linkura

I love this woman.

All these fuckers like him and Meryl Streep claiming they didn't know... they fucking knew. Fuck, I knew and I have zero connections to the industry at all. It's been on gossip and rumor sites for years.

Not a liar; his statement actually makes no specific statement to the effect of "I didn't know." So it's actually much worse; he knew, and he failed to act.

Sounds like he tried to act, but utterly failed. Because power dynamics. And what's sad is the reason Harvey is finally getting all this pressed to him is, again, power dynamics from his company. It's a messed up industry.

Budi

He deleted this later and claimed he was misinterpreted.... Lots of asses being shown lately.
Well yeah, it can be read in two ways. Either he is saying that the real crime is Weinstein meddling with the works of artists. Or that Weinstein is a piece of shit and people like that tarnish films with their involvement. "Don't let that rapist touch the film". But either way, it's really fucking odd for him to even bring that up right now. Weinstein's victims are much more important than any films. It doesn't really show any concern to the victims just that he doesn't like the guy.

Ridley327

He deleted this later and claimed he was misinterpreted.... Lots of asses being shown lately.

Unfortunately, I do think that there's more than a few guys out there that are interpreting this as justice against Harvey Scissorhands, as if the art that was being tampered with counts for more than the lives that Harvey has made so much worse with his predations.

Mully

I hope this kills the industry’s luster the same way the Sandusky case killed Penn State’s majesty.

No one is pure. No one is clean. Be vulnerable and honest.

D i Z

You don't have to have been on any level to know this about him. I knew the talk about this dude, and I'm unaffiliated. You'd have to be a fool to not know at least that much if you are going in to work for him.

tbm24

tenor.gif

This is going to be a pretty big fucking list.
Honestly this is looking like some shit people in the industry turned a blind eye because Weinstein was so huge. Which itself is the problem, Terry Crews staying silent until today blew me away. I wouldn’t have expected him to be scared to say anything.

D i Z

Honestly this is looking like some shit people in the industry turned a blind eye because Weinstein was so huge. Which itself is the problem, Terry Crews staying silent until today blew me away. I wouldn’t have expected him to be scared to say anything.

Why's that?

How far does this go?

How many people have been affected?

How does the Academy and the industry heads respond?

This is going to be a dark pit, I surmise. Who knows how many victims there have been and how many are still protected by the industry.

And of course this is Hillary Clinton's fault, like she's supposed to know that Harvey was a scumbag when she wouldn't have been able to anyways (People forget that the accused were either paid off with roles or money, sometimes both).

🙄

On top of that, he had a former President's daughter in his office...

Please. God.

Let this be what finally breaks up the fucking cult of Hollywood. Let this finally usher in an era where actors aren't beholden to child rapists and serial sex offenders and willing to defend them because of their fucked up idea of fraternity and professional advancement.

Please. God.

Let this be what finally breaks up the fucking cult of Hollywood. Let this finally usher in an era where actors aren't beholden to child rapists and serial sex offenders and willing to defend them because of their fucked up idea of fraternity and professional advancement.

It isn't clear to me that it's worse in Hollywood as a percentage of powerful people vs if you take any famous / powerful person at random.
Roger Ailes wasn't Hollywood.
Hollywood just has a large number of famous and powerful people all in one place.
YouTube stars aren't Hollywood, or a cult, and there have been a number of them as well.
in law or business a large number of people get away with stuff.
Trump wasn't Hollywood either (although he wanted to be).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How far does this go?

There's no real way to sugar coat it, but I guarantee that issues like this are prevalent throughout borderline every major industry in the world, not in the least bit limited to entertainment. I work in employment services and I've lost count of the amount of clients detailing sexual harassment issues at previous roles. Everything from the police force to a fish and chip shop.

Sexual harassment boils over in positions of power, in particular where the assaulter is in a high position of gatekeeping where they're surrounded by individuals who are inherently vulnerable and desperate. Entertainment fits this like a glove for the obvious reasons (music, film, etc; young people simply wanting to make it in a cutthroat industry), but it's no different in corporate or government service as well.

And I think that's what some people forget, particularly those that argue that sexual harassment is on the way out. I'd argue that cultural attitude towards women and sexuality are absolutely improving, but senior executives, people in positions of power, and gatekeepers in most major industries are not the youth. They're people from generations where they were given far more leniency to their behavior, rapidly ascended to their power, and now have few if anybody to challenge them. For example, the aforementioned police force client made the point that her reporting sexual harassment would have accomplished nothing; the senior staff member had too greater rapport. The best case scenario would be him being moved over to a different site by his superiors who know full well what he's like and just want to bury it, and her effectively ruining her career as she is seen as a trouble maker.

TLDR: It's all absolutely fucked, everywhere.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Please. God.

Not just Hollywood

lenovox1

What? Weinstein is one of the most important producers in Hollywood AND New York City and has his hands on every facet of the entertainment industry aside from music. This is their livelihoods he has on the line. And there was no way for anyone but a few to know the extent Weinstein went.

But he has basically sexually accosted every actress in Hollywood, so this was eventually going to get out.

Apharmd

This is so bleak and sickening. My naive ass thought that it was just limited to Fox News but clearly not. Baby boomers intent on pleasuring themselves at the cost of everyone else are the fucking plague.

Nipo

Please. God.

The president of the country bragged about grabbing woman by their pussies and abusing his position of authority to get sexual favors. You think Hollywood is the big problem?

Top Bottom