• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yorker: Harvey Weinstein's Accusers Tell Their Stories

Hollywood needs to burn to the ground and start over. This is just beyond sad and disgusting. Fucking monsters. Glad these assholes are being put into the spotlight, and I always new affleck was gross for some reason.

D i Z

This is so bleak and sickening. My naive ass thought that it was just limited to Fox News but clearly not. Baby boomers intent on pleasuring themselves at the cost of everyone else are the fucking plague.

This shit is going on at your local big box store. Don't get it twisted. This is not a problem of what you see as the elite.This isn't about the casting couch with fat big wigs.
This is a culture that has protected these actions since forever, and is reverting back to further protect these rapey ass actions once again.

-----

People love to point a finger at Hollywood as if that absolves them and makes them better when the same shit is happening right next door and they do nothing. These people make movies for you.
they aren't feeding you. Get a fucking grip on the fame/economical envy. Love to hate what you just can't divorce yourself from.

N7.Angel

This is disgusting in the higher point but the people that knew it or pretend not to know anything about it is are as terrible.

The president of the country bragged about grabbing woman by their pussies and abusing his position of authority to get sexual favors. You think Hollywood is the big problem?
And people still voted for him. Women still voted for him. It’s a sick sad world out there.

Syriel

Affleck isn't only one. There seems to be quite a few who knew about Weinsten, but didn't do or say anything,

Brad Pitt did something back in '95 when Weinstein messed with Gwyneth Paltrow.

Threatened to beat the shit out of Weinstein if he didn't stop it.

Pitt, who was dating Paltrow at the time, confronted Weinstein about the incident at a Hollywood party around 1995, a source tells PEOPLE.

“Brad threatened Harvey,” says the source. “He got right in his face, poked him in the chest and said, ‘You will not ever do this to Gwyneth ever again.’ “

The source adds that Pitt “made it clear there would be consequences” if Weinstein tried anything again, and “described it as giving Harvey a ‘Missouri whooping.'” (Pitt grew up in Springfield, Missouri.)

Source:
http://people.com/movies/inside-sto...ouri-whooping-after-gwyneth-paltrow-incident/

Worth noting, Pitt wasn't a name at the time, so taking a stand like that was doing more than just the right thing. He was also risking his career.

What I don't get is how did Trump survive the Pussygate and Weinstein couldn't (not saying Weinstein should get away)? I mean, Trump was accused by 10 or so women of sexual abuse, even admitted to grabbing them by the pussy on tape!

Fucking, hell. Nothing makes sense.

Ridley327

Source:
http://people.com/movies/inside-sto...ouri-whooping-after-gwyneth-paltrow-incident/

Worth noting, Pitt wasn't a name at the time, so taking a stand like that was doing more than just the right thing. He was also risking his career.

Risky, yes, but I don't think it was quite fair to say that Pitt wasn't a major name at that point, already having some really big hits under his belt like Interview with the Vampire and Legends of the Fall, and given the time period, it wouldn't surprise me if Seven was in the midst of its initial run, which further cemented him as a rising talent and a bankable name.

Tovarisc

The Obamas release a statement on Harvey Weinstein:
DLz7ajQX4AAIk8Q.jpg
https://twitter.com/Kevinliptakcnn/status/917884860697661440

Edit: Second source:
https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/917885599058747392

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The scary thing is that people who are names now (Affleck, Pitt, Jolie, etc) are still at a power differential with someone like Weinstein.

This is disgusting in the higher point but the people that knew it or pretend not to know anything about it is are as terrible.
This is such a bullshit take.

Did you want Brad Pitt to take out an ad in Variety claiming "Harvey Weinstein asked my girlfriend to give him a massage"?

Like, what are you expecting from people?

Source:

Man, shame that Pitt is kinda known to be a jerk now. Kind of puts into perspective why a lot of big names in Hollywood are known to be complete asswipes now. The toxicity of the industry literally forces people to mold themselves to "fit in" and "deal with it" or get out otherwise.

mcrommert

Banned
It isn't clear to me that it's worse in Hollywood as a percentage of powerful people vs if you take any famous / powerful person at random.
Roger Ailes wasn't Hollywood.
Hollywood just has a large number of famous and powerful people all in one place.
YouTube stars aren't Hollywood, or a cult, and there have been a number of them as well.
in law or business a large number of people get away with stuff.
Trump wasn't Hollywood either (although he wanted to be).

There isn't a lot of light between Hollywood and 24 hour national news... Same orbit to some degree

I hope others like Bryan singer get what's coming to them too.. There are many other monsters hiding behind their art and power

Ridley327

The scary thing is that people who are names now (Affleck, Pitt, Jolie, etc) are still at a power differential with someone like Weinstein.

Pitt's probably the closest with how successful Plan B Entertainment has been, especially as they've got three Best Picture wins in the past decade, but they're strictly production and have to partner with the studios for distribution.

Apharmd

This shit is going on at your local big box store. Don't get it twisted. This is not a problem of what you see as the elite.This isn't about the casting couch with fat big wigs.
This is a culture that has protected these actions since forever, and is reverting back to further protect these rapey ass actions once again.

-----

People love to point a finger at Hollywood as if that absolves them and makes them better when the same shit is happening right next door and they do nothing. These people make movies for you.
they aren't feeding you. Get a fucking grip on the fame/economical envy. Love to hate what you just can't divorce yourself from.

That makes sense. You're saying that the issue of people of power or actually, sexual assault in general being unreported or covered up as a culture is where attention should be focused on, not necessarily the image of elites doing whatever the fuck they want. Which is fucked up too, but now we're talking about the legit rape culture that is prevalent in general that needs to be torn down. Am I correct?

I know there's a tendency to paint everything as good or bad, but it's not that simple and Terry Crews' experience paints a good picture as to why. Besides the fact that the binary attitude is counterproductive to fixing the cultural problem in Hollywood and other industries.

And as been pointed out, the people who knew about Harvey Weinstein were so far reaching that they'd openly make jokes about it at the Oscars.

What I don't get is how did Trump survive the Pussygate and Weinstein couldn't (not saying Weinstein should get away)? I mean, Trump was accused by 10 or so women of sexual abuse, even admitted to grabbing them by the pussy on tape!

Fucking, hell. Nothing makes sense.

Sad reason is Hollywood has a tendency to lean liberal and progressive, even if it's just a mask for some. Weinstein's "apology" letter tries to deflect from his actions by mentioning how he'll tackle the NRA and Trump. Like, OK? Why's that relevant when you're being accused of sexually assaulting women? Honestly if Trump's allegations came out when he was doing his reality show crap, he'd have been worse off.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Asia Argento says that Miramax Italy producer (Fabrizio Lombardo) whom Sharon Waxman had been trying to report on was the man who brought her to Weinstein's room pretending that there was a party. Also says that while she was talking to Farrow for his story this guy started sending her "creepy, intimidating text msgs."

Sort of seems fake, tbh.
It's the email prankster dude. Fooled Bloom, Weinstein, and Davis into responding to phony versions of Weinstein, Dunn, and Weinstein, respectively.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Asia Argento says that Miramax Italy producer (Fabrizio Lombardo) whom Sharon Waxman had been trying to report on was the man who brought her to Weinstein's room pretending that there was a party. Also says that while she was talking to Farrow for his story this guy started sending her "creepy, intimidating text msgs."

It's the email prankster dude. Fooled Bloom, Weinstein, and Davis into responding to phony versions of Weinstein, Dunn, and Weinstein, respectively.

Ahhh gotcha.

I know there's a tendency to paint everything as good or bad, but it's not that simple and Terry Crews' experience paints a good picture as to why. Besides the fact that the binary attitude is counterproductive to fixing the cultural problem in Hollywood and other industries.

And as been pointed out, the people who knew about Harvey Weinstein were so far reaching that they'd openly make jokes about it at the Oscars.

Pretty much. Crews' experience and his silence (even as someone who had made it) kind of sheds a whole new perspective for me on actors/actresses and how they handle this kind of behavior from people that powerful.

D i Z

That makes sense. You're saying that the issue of people of power or actually, sexual assault in general being unreported or covered up as a culture is where attention should be focused on, not necessarily the image of elites doing whatever the fuck they want. Which is fucked up too, but now we're talking about the legit rape culture that is prevalent in general that needs to be torn down. Am I correct?

Yeah that's pretty much my main point. Government, Movie studios, News rooms, Grocery stores, college campuses. We can go down the list and really nail where the problems are, but its' everywhere. More so where we can see it in places less protected by money. But it's all the same deal. Raise these knucklehead children right, tar and feather those that are guilty and let em rot.

Ryzaki009

-----

Yep. And when people immediately side eye someone making an accusation because "she's lying for attention." it just contributes to that shit.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The rather large counterpoint to the "everyone knew" thing is that President Obama, the most powerful man on the earth, sent his daughter to intern for him. So we can safely say he didn't know. This is a dude who had the NSA, FBI, and CIA working for him. So anyone saying "everyone knew" fundamentally has to reconcile the fact that the most powerful man on earth didn't know.

4Tran

Yep. And when people immediately side eye someone making an accusation because "she's lying for attention." it just contributes to that shit.
You'd think that we've seen enough of these cases by now to realize that, when a rich and powerful man is accused of sexual assault, it's almost always true and that there are many more victims waiting in the wings to speak out about it.

Replicant

Rose Mcgowan exposing Ben Affleck as a hypocrite on Twitter. GET HIM QUEEN!

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/917848581540757504

I've said so many times that this fucker is rotten but I always get silenced here. Glad the truth is finally out. Of course he's complicit. His own brother is a sexual abuser and he's said nothing about him.

Also, if women like Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie barely escaped Weinstein's clutch, can you see how less famous actress can?

Budi

3. Still light years better than Trump obviously.
There's absolutely nothing he could say to make any of this better. He is just like Weinstein himself. His words have no weight on this. Not sure why anyone is expecting him to say something, so we could call him a hypocrite?

Tovarisc

1. He didn't say he didn't already know. So he probably knew.

2. What took him so long? Even Hillary got a statement out before him.

Everyone no matter how closely or remotely connected is guilty by association and part of huge cover up? Had Obamas said they didn't know you would be posting how they are just saying it to save face, but is blatant lie etc etc

rothgar

Tucker Carlson is calling on the justice department to investigate sexual abuse in Hollywood. He's on Fox News calling for this... Fox News...

The rather large counterpoint to the "everyone knew" thing is that President Obama, the most powerful man on the earth, sent his daughter to intern for him. So we can safely say he didn't know. This is a dude who had the NSA, FBI, and CIA working for him. So anyone saying "everyone knew" fundamentally has to reconcile the fact that the most powerful man on earth didn't know.
Obama did not do due diligence. He could have gotten intel on Weinstein but blindly trusted him as a friend and donor. I hope he had a talk to Malia about the industry in general as the President's daughter would either be a thrill or hands-off/nope for a predator.

1. He didn't say he didn't already know. So he probably knew.

2. What took him so long? Even Hillary got a statement out before him.

Ohh, nice, more dumb shit.

--

Anyway, saw a tweet saying that NBC has been sitting on this story for months, including camera interview with actresses talking about it, until Farrow gave up and went to thenewyorker. (will link when i find it)

e: here it is : https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nbc-harvey-weinstein-investigation_us_59dd2739e4b04fc4e1e96d08

CrunchyB

Good for her, but given how long this has been going for, it's really surprising that it took this long to hoof it.

I'm guessing she could tolerate it because his power benefited her as well. Obviously she knew sordid stuff was going on.

Everybody would at least have heard the rumors, the people closest to him should have been able to confirm their suspicions unless they willingly turned a blind eye.

lenovox1

Ohh, nice, more dumb shit.

--

Anyway, saw a tweet saying that NBC has been sitting on this story for months, including camera interview with actresses talking about it, until Farrow gave up and went to thenewyorker. (will link when i find it)

e: here it is : https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nbc-harvey-weinstein-investigation_us_59dd2739e4b04fc4e1e96d08

And now they're one of the main media outlets covering the story. How nasty of them.

Media conglomerates were a mistake. NBC has too many hands in the pie, so they were too afraid to rock the boat.

Ryzaki009

You'd think that we've seen enough of these cases by now to realize that, when a rich and powerful man is accused of sexual assault, it's almost always true and that there are many more victims waiting in the wings to speak out about it.

But that minor chance she's lying tho :(

(I shouldn't have to say it but that's snark)

And yeah it's pretty disgusting how much of a victim count so many of these dudes have because of the instant defense and how hopeless many victims feel about going forward.

Linkura

There's absolutely nothing he could say to make any of this better. He is just like Weinstein himself. His words have no weight on this. Not sure why anyone is expecting him to say something, so we could call him a hypocrite?

I don't expect Trump to say anything. And I don't think he should for the reasons you stated.

Now we got tapes.

In the tape, Gutierrez is heard asking Weinstein, “Why yesterday you touch my breast?”

Weinstein responds, “Oh, please, I’m sorry, just come on in, I’m used to that. Come in, please.”

She replies, “You’re used to that?”

“Yes, come in,” he says.

Gutierrez says, “No, but I’m not used to that.”

To which Weinstein pleads, “I won’t do it again, come on, sit here. Sit here for a minute, please?”

Hear the full tape, recorded by the NYPD, and published by the New Yorker, below:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/harvey-weinstein-tape-new-yorker-nypd-audio-listen-1202585704/

Mr. Tibbs

Even his brother, Bob, and it should be stressed there's zero doubt Bob Weinstein totally understood the extent of Harvey's horrific behavior and chose to stay silent, has turned against him:

"My brother Harvey is obviously a very sick man. I've urged him to seek immediate professional help because he is in dire need of it. His remorse and apologies to the victims of his abuse are hollow. He said he would go away for help and has yet to do so."

"He has proven himself to be a world class liar and now rather than seeking help he is looking to blame others. His assertion is categorically untrue from A to Z. I pray he gets the help that he needs and I believe that it is him behind all of these stories to distract from his own failure to get help."

Top Bottom