• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Is the name of the case fractal torrent without other numbers or letters?
Yes. “Torrent” is the full sized tower that comes with 2x 180mm fans and 3x 140mm. You can get it with RGB fans or non-RGB in a few colors but they’re all the same spec-wise.

There’s also Torrent Compact and Torrent Nano which are the smaller sized ones. I’d avoid those as most 4090s will be a tight fit.

GymWolf

Thanks guys, at least i have a couple of models to check during black friday and cyber monday.

Is the corsair 5000d another good model to keep an eye on or it's in a lower category compared to the others?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Thanks guys, at least i have a couple of models to check during black friday and cyber monday.

Is the corsair 5000d another good model to keep an eye on or it's in a lower category compared to the others?
5000D Airflow is a fantastic case but it might be a tight squeeze. Check out post 1544 Rbk_3 Rbk_3 says it’s a tight fit.

Torrent and Lancool III both have ~18mm more clearance.

GymWolf

5000D Airflow is a fantastic case but it might be a tight squeeze. Check out post 1544 Rbk_3 Rbk_3 says it’s a tight fit.

Torrent and Lancool III both have ~18mm more clearance.
Yeah i think that i'm gonna go with the fractal torrent full size, i like everything about it, unless one of the others get a substantial discount.

In theory i should not have any problem of space with this beast right?

Lol my last case was like 40 euros, it's gonna be a bitch to spend more than 200 for this one:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Yeah i think that i'm gonna go with the fractal torrent full size, i like everything about it, unless one of the others get a substantial discount.

In theory i should not have any problem of space with this beast right?

Lol my last case was like 40 euros, it's gonna be a bitch to spend more than 200 for this one:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Yeah you’ll have plenty of space! If it won’t fit in the Torrent it won’t fit anywhere.

BTW the clearance I was talking about was for width. My biggest concern re. 4090 was not being able to fit the side panel on with the power connector sticking out.

I actually just ordered a Torrent. I already have a Torrent Compact which will be passed on to my nephew :) It’s a beautiful case and those 180mm fans move a ridiculous amount of air. Worth the money!

GymWolf

Yeah you’ll have plenty of space! If it won’t fit in the Torrent it won’t fit anywhere.

BTW the clearance I was talking about was for width. My biggest concern re. 4090 was not being able to fit the side panel on with the power connector sticking out.

I actually just ordered a Torrent. I already have a Torrent Compact which will be passed on to my nephew :) It’s a beautiful case and those 180mm fans move a ridiculous amount of air. Worth the money!
I'm probably not gonna buy a 4090.

Probably a 7800 if it is lower than 1000 euros or an heavily discounted 6950/3090ti, but they are all big cunts aswell.

Last edited:
I use the Cooler Master C700M and things won't have trouble fitting in there.

cooler-master-cosmos-c700m.jpg

2002232051.jpeg

Cooler-Master-COSMOS-C700M-review-rig-assembly_3.jpg

06CPEG8r2joGKUxnTxm36m8-50.v_1569469966.jpg
Thats one ugly alienware looking thing imo. The bars on top should've been left of.

Lol i like that design :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Depending on you buying a 4090 or not, 170mm clearance for the CPU cooler might not be enough. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro II has a lot of room in that regard (195mm if I'm not mistaken). Corsair 7000D and CM C700M have more room than average, too. Unfortunately there're many "XL" cases out there that don't offer enough room to easily compensate for the 4090s width (meaning installing it without having to bend the 16pin cable).

GymWolf

Depending on you buying a 4090 or not, 170mm clearance for the CPU cooler might not be enough. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro II has a lot of room in that regard (195mm if I'm not mistaken). Corsair 7000D and CM C700M have more room than average, too. Unfortunately there're many "XL" cases out there that don't offer enough room to easily compensate for the 4090s width (meaning installing it without having to bend the 16pin cable).
I was just talking about the look, i have no idea of what i'm gonna put inside it yet.

But look is really not important for me, i would buy a pink case with small svarosky little sparkling dicks all around it if it was cheap, large and cool.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I hate these 'gamer aesthetics' that plague PC parts.

A lot of motherboards look really fugly. Asus STRIX/ROG and MSI with their 'gaming dragon' looks awful.

This is the best case ever imo:
define-7-review.jpg
I'd need my case to be a little bitter for all the stuff that needs to fit in.

If I want a big non gamer looking case I'd go for the Corsair 1000D

iu

OZ9000

Banned

iu
The Define 7 XL has you covered
fractal-define-7-xl-14.jpg

Fractal make the best cases on the market. I love their design philosophy.

Less = more.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

iu
This thing is so huge it has its own aisle at Microcenter because it doesn’t fit on the display rack with the other cases. It’s comically large when you see it in person. Looks like a fridge or a gun locker or something.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
MSI unify motherboards are the GOAT as far as aesthetics go.
The X570 Unify was not great.....but I blame the chipset for that.
13-144-273-V01.jpg

MSI Z Tomahawks?
*chefs kiss.
MSI-MAG-Z690-TOMAHAWK-WIFI-DDR4-Motherboard-3.jpg

I've got an rtx 2080. Is it worth getting the 4080 or should I wait?
Depends which 4080.
The 4080'12G....dont even bother, punish Nvidia by NOT buying this card.
The 4080'16G....Id still be apprehensive depending on what the launch prices look like.
The 3090'24G....If you can find one for cents on the dollar, it still is and will be a good contender going forward.
The 3090Ti.....these things dropped in price so hard, you could get lucky.

RTX4080-PERF-GRAPH-1.png

The RTX "4070" is going to be such a dud of a card I can almost gurantee Nvidia is gonna silent launch it, and/or will only show DLSS3 performance, nothing else.
I dont even want to imagine what the RTX "4060' is going to look like.

Reactions: GHG

MAX PAYMENT

13-144-273-V01.jpg

MSI Z Tomahawks?
*chefs kiss.

Depends which 4080.
The 4080'16G....Id still be apprehensive depending on what the launch prices look like.
The 3090'24G....If you can find one for cents on the dollar, it still is and will be a good contender going forward.

RTX4080-PERF-GRAPH-1.png

The RTX "4070" is going to be such a dud of a card I can almost gurantee Nvidia is gonna silent launch it, and/or will only show DLSS3 performance, nothing else.
Thank you!

OZ9000

Banned
Depends which 4080.

RTX4080-PERF-GRAPH-1.png

That's pretty bad. Neither the "4080" cards look worth it given their price and performance. I don't think there is a single reason to own these cards at their given price point.

Time for AMD to show what they have in reserve.

Last edited:

GHG

13-144-273-V01.jpg

MSI Z Tomahawks?
*chefs kiss.

Depends which 4080.

RTX4080-PERF-GRAPH-1.png

I have the x570 unify, it's been great. But yeh that chipset fan does somewhat ruin the clean look, it's not so bad when it's turned on though.

FingerBang

I've got an rtx 2080. Is it worth getting the 4080 or should I wait?
If you want to spend stupid money for a GPU, the 4090 is the only viable option.

A 3080 or a 3090, maybe used, is going go give you a great boost at all resolutions and won't break the bank. If you need 1440/240hz or 4K/120hz then probably the 4090 is the one to get.

The 16GB is barely much cheaper than a 4090 and the 12GB is barely faster than a 3090ti, which you might find for less.

It's incredible how we went from the 3080, a fantastic card with amazing price and performance to this.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Anyone got his best buy FE order status changed to shipped or something ? It still says processing for me and didn’t change my card. At least here in Canada

J3nga

So I just have received Gigabyte Gaming OC, here's comparison to 3080 gaming X Trio:
r40kECb.jpg

I have Fractal design meshify 2 mid-tower and 4090 Gigabyte fits quite easily although not too much space is left but side panel closed without forcing stuff. Looks ugly, luckily I have Corsair PSU so ordered new cable.

EMjRr5M.jpg

GHG

If you want to spend stupid money for a GPU, the 4090 is the only viable option.

A 3080 or a 3090, maybe used, is going go give you a great boost at all resolutions and won't break the bank. If you need 1440/240hz or 4K/120hz then probably the 4090 is the one to get.

The 16GB is barely much cheaper than a 4090 and the 12GB is barely faster than a 3090ti, which you might find for less.

It's incredible how we went from the 3080, a fantastic card with amazing price and performance to this.

Yeh the way I see it is that Nvidia have put us in an "all or nothing" situation. It's basically get the 4090 or find a cheap 3xxx series card.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

I want to see some more benchmarks but TBH I’d probably take the 4080 12GB over the 3090 Ti at the same price. They perform very close to each other but 4080 has DLSS 3.

Yeah I get that it’s kinda bullshit they renamed a *70 card as *80 and jacked up the price, but objectively it still seems like a better value than a 3090 Ti at the same price.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Edit: ok this thing could very be my next case, finger crossed for a discount during black friday.

Is it big enough to have ZERO problem with a series 4000 and cable management?
I dont know much about the best current case but I would highly recommend selecting something that allows 280mm-360mm fans on the top for the AIOs. 240mm is fine for now but these CPUs are getting hotter and if you are sticking power hungry cards like 4090 and pairing them with 100 Watt CPUs then go with the biggest damn AIO you can find. The thermal difference can be as much as 20% between 240mm and 360mm.

Just remember the bigger the case the more fans you will need. Small cases actually have better airflow. You will have to use 3 140 mm fans in the front which can be noisy compared to the 120 mm fans. I run mine at very low speeds of around 750 RPM which kind of defeats the purpose of having more fans but id rather my system be quieter than 2 degrees cooler. But yes, for the 4090, just buy a big tower because of those ridiculous protruding cables.

Ulysses 31

Edit: ok this thing could very be my next case, finger crossed for a discount during black friday.

Is it big enough to have ZERO problem with a series 4000 and cable management?
Which 4090 you going for?

The thicc 4 slot boys or this 2 slot baby with radiator

iu

GymWolf

I dont know much about the best current case but I would highly recommend selecting something that allows 280mm-360mm fans on the top for the AIOs. 240mm is fine for now but these CPUs are getting hotter and if you are sticking power hungry cards like 4090 and pairing them with 100 Watt CPUs then go with the biggest damn AIO you can find. The thermal difference can be as much as 20% between 240mm and 360mm.

Just remember the bigger the case the more fans you will need. Small cases actually have better airflow. You will have to use 3 140 mm fans in the front which can be noisy compared to the 120 mm fans. I run mine at very low speeds of around 750 RPM which kind of defeats the purpose of having more fans but id rather my system be quieter than 2 degrees cooler. But yes, for the 4090, just buy a big tower because of those ridiculous protruding cables.
I'm not gonna buy a 4090, and i'm not gonna overclock my cpu so a big noctua fan is gonna be enough, no need for liquid cooling solutions.

For the other things, i watched a review for the fractal and if it's good for tech jesus, sure as hell is good enough for me.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

IMHO AIOs are overrated. A good air cooler like Fuma 2 or NH-D15 is more than enough even for 12000 series.

But yeah, I would not buy a Torrent if you want to use an AIO.

Also in my experience with AIOs, you are way better off using it as intake. If you use it as top exhaust then it sucks all the warm GPU exhaust through the radiator and it has to work way harder than it should. If I were building an AIO system today, personally I’d go with a Lancool III, with the AIO as front intake and 3 fans under the GPU, that way both CPU and GPU get plenty of cool air.

//DEVIL//

So I just have received Gigabyte Gaming OC, here's comparison to 3080 gaming X Trio:
r40kECb.jpg

I have Fractal design meshify 2 mid-tower and 4090 Gigabyte fits quite easily although not too much space is left but side panel closed without forcing stuff. Looks ugly, luckily I have Corsair PSU so ordered new cable.

EMjRr5M.jpg
I am interested to know the temps and noise for both cards . Can you try a demanding game for 20 mins and get a rough idea ?

Because the gigabyte card has 10 pipes and Vapor chamber vs 6 ok trio and no Vapor chamber

Last edited:

J3nga

I am interested to know the temps and noise for both cards . Can you try a demanding game for 20 games and get a rough idea ?

Because the gigabyte card has 10 pipes and Vapor chamber vs 6 ok trio and no Vapor chamber
You mean 20mins? Initial impressions: temps are slightly lower on default bios which is oc, fans noise slightly louder. First impressions are solid, it's cool and quiet enough. 3080 gaming x trio is also solid, I was real happy with it during two years, cool and quiet. They are pretty similar actually - both cool and quiet enough. Previously I had AMD gpu's, those were loud and hot.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I want to see some more benchmarks but TBH I’d probably take the 4080 12GB over the 3090 Ti at the same price. They perform very close to each other but 4080 has DLSS 3.

Yeah I get that it’s kinda bullshit they renamed a *70 card as *80 and jacked up the price, but objectively it still seems like a better value than a 3090 Ti at the same price.
It might be worth it if you have a high res/refresh screen (above 1440/144hz) but the increase in latency kills it for me.

It really depends on what kind of games you look for and what setup you have but after the hardware unboxed video I'm very skeptical of DLSS3 being this groundbreaking tech.

Without that you have a slower card with half the amount of RAM for around the same price. It does consume less though.

//DEVIL//

You mean 20mins? Initial impressions: temps are slightly lower on default bios which is oc, fans noise slightly louder. First impressions are solid, it's cool and quiet enough. 3080 gaming x trio is also solid, I was real happy with it during two years, cool and quiet. They are pretty similar actually - both cool and quiet enough. Previously I had AMD gpu's, those were loud and hot.
How loud is loud the OC ? It’s a card I still have sealed but I am allergic to noise and coil whine and temps lol

Like generally speaking between 4090 msi and gigabyte OC. Which one is a card you would keep ?

And yes sorry I meant 20 mins . Lack of sleep is starting to kick in lol

Last edited:

J3nga

How loud is loud the OC ? It’s a card I still have sealed but I am allergic to noise and coil whine and temps lol

Like generally speaking between 4090 msi and gigabyte OC. Which one is a card you would keep ?
I do not have 4090 msi, that was was 3080 in the pic. 4090 Gigabyte was like 1700rpm, it's 1400 on quiet bios according to charts(haven't tested myself). Didn't hear any coil whine, the thing is quieter than PS5.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I do not have 4090 msi, that was was 3080 in the pic.
Yes I just re read that. Sheesh I am tired . Sorry !

Go get a 4090 trio and try lol

Ok well how loud it’s really ? I am surprised it’s loud when each fan is 110mm and the heat sink is bigger than a house.

Do you hear the fans of the pc on the computer table and the side panel is closed ?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

IMHO AIOs are overrated. A good air cooler like Fuma 2 or NH-D15 is more than enough even for 12000 series.

But yeah, I would not buy a Torrent if you want to use an AIO.

Also in my experience with AIOs, you are way better off using it as intake. If you use it as top exhaust then it sucks all the warm GPU exhaust through the radiator and it has to work way harder than it should. If I were building an AIO system today, personally I’d go with a Lancool III, with the AIO as front intake and 3 fans under the GPU, that way both CPU and GPU get plenty of cool air.
Interesting. I will try using it as an intake, though I imagine my rear exhaust is pulling some of the GPU air as well.

J3nga

Yes I just re read that. Sheesh I am tired . Sorry !

Go get a 4090 trio and try lol

Ok well how loud it’s really ? I am surprised it’s loud when each fan is 110mm and the heat sink is bigger than a house.

Do you hear the fans of the pc on the computer table and the side panel is closed ?
Side panel is closed. I game maybe 2m away from my PC. Sound is audible if you try to listen to it on purpose but no way near it's loud or annoying, on quiet bios it will inaudible to me most likely.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Interesting. I will try using it as an intake, though I imagine my rear exhaust is pulling some of the GPU air as well.
What case do you have?

A couple years ago I modded a Thermaltake View 51 to fit an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 on top and it was very disappointing. No matter how much I cranked up the intakes or rear exhaust, the air going into the AIO was just way warmer than ambient and the cooling was poor.

I also got to play around with an O11 Mini + Liquid Freezer 280. Oddly enough the best configuration I found was top AIO as intake, bottom fans as intake blowing into the GPU, with side and rear fans all as exhaust. It was pretty neat!

Anyway just something to consider.

SlimySnake

What case do you have?

A couple years ago I modded a Thermaltake View 51 to fit an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 on top and it was very disappointing. No matter how much I cranked up the intakes or rear exhaust, the air going into the AIO was just way warmer than ambient and the cooling was poor.

I also got to play around with an O11 Mini + Liquid Freezer 280. Oddly enough the best configuration I found was top AIO as intake, bottom fans as intake blowing into the GPU, with side and rear fans all as exhaust. It was pretty neat!

Anyway just something to consider.
BeQuiet Silentbase 500. I had a lot of issues with noise which I thought was coilwhine but turned out to be fan noise on my AIO, but I didnt know back then so just bought the most affordable quiet case I could find. Replaced the AIO with Arctic Liquid Freezer II and its been fine since.

I have 3 140 mm fans in the front blowing air into the GPU and through the CPU with 1 rear exhaust and 2 top exhaust attached to the AIO. I played around with a lot of different configs and this one was the best. I dont have any room for side exhaust so if I make the top ones intake, my rear would be the only one acting as an exhaust. I really like having 3 front fans as an intake. They do wonders for my VRM thermals.

Top Bottom