• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

MAX PAYMENT

Wait for what? It's almost 4x more powerful. The only problem is that its almost $1,800 with tax so 2.5x more expensive. Maybe wait for the prices to crash.
b0gdQ7K.jpg
Neither 4080 is on this chart.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
All the 3rd party 4080 12gb sitting in boxed…

Quick someone get sticker printed stat!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Good. I compared the 4080 benchmarks to the last gen 2080-208Ti to 3080 upgrades, and the 4080 12 GB was worse than the 3070 was compared to the 2080 Ti, and 16GB 4080 was only 27% faster than the 3080 Ti even though the 3080 was 50% faster than the 2080 Ti.

The price was the least of these GPUs problems. The 4080 12 GB is actually a 4060 Ti and 4080 12GB is a 4070 Ti.

danklord

Gold Member
The performance on these cards is insane, as advertised. I have an ultrawide 3440x1440 with a frame cap of 175 and I'm playing Overwatch 2 at 200x render resolution without pushing the card past 52c.

I cancelled the B&H 4090 and got a 3090ti FE. My monitor is only 144hz and 1440p. I just hope it works well with my AMD 3900 and phantom gaming 4 x570 mobo. Does anyone have an opinion on if I’m good with these components?

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I cancelled the B&H 4090 and got a 3090ti FE. My monitor is only 144hz and 1440p. I just hope it works well with my AMD 3900 and phantom gaming 4 b570 mobo. Does anyone have an opinion on if I’m good with these components?
You'll be more than fine, but you'll probably still see an uplift if you upgraded to the 5000 series CPUs. With that said, you'll still have an amazing time and set up for a long time with a 3900x and 3090 Ti. Congrats on the pickup.

You'll be more than fine, but you'll probably still see an uplift if you upgraded to the 5000 series CPUs. With that said, you'll still have an amazing time and set up for a long time with a 3900x and 3090 Ti. Congrats on the pickup.
Thanks! I may as well max out and get the 5900x right? It’s not terribly expensive right now.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Someone said that the zotac were the hottest of the bunch dude.

Saw that. I also got the 2 year warranty, may even underclock. Not too worried.

Zotac arent just the hottest and loudest of the bunch.
Zotac have notoriously....maybe even legendarily bad quality control.
Their RMA process can take up to 2 months.
If your warranty is with a store and you have any issues, just ask for store credit to get a GPU from another AIB.

Zotac 4090 teardown.
Their vapor chamber doesnt fit their PCB:
memfail1.jpg

memfail2.jpg

^ And this was sent to reviewers.....imagine what they would send to the general public.

Theres a reason their cards are consistently the last to be sold out or just remain in stock....and its not cuz they produce alot of them.........people are super wary of them.
This is a lot of money to put down on a sub standard product warranty be damned.

GymWolf

Zotac arent just the hottest and loudest of the bunch.
Zotac have notoriously....maybe even legendarily bad quality control.
Their RMA process can take up to 2 months.
If your warranty is with a store and you have any issues, just ask for store credit to get a GPU from another AIB.

Zotac 4090 teardown.
Their vapor chamber doesnt fit their PCB:
memfail1.jpg

memfail2.jpg

^ And this was sent to reviewers.....imagine what they would send to the general public.

Theres a reason their cards are consistently the last to be sold out or just remain in stock....and its not cuz they produce alot of them.........people are super wary of them.
This is a lot of money to put down on a sub standard product warranty be damned.
Are vanilla nvidia\amd, gigabyte and asus still the best brands when it comes to build quality and sturdiness? (asking for both nv and amd)

i heard msi can be hit and miss and evga was smart enough to get out from this shitshow.

Do i remember palit having the best bang for buck 1070 with the gamerock version?

Is Sapphire still a thing?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Are vanilla nvidia\amd, gigabyte and asus still the best brands when it comes to build quality and sturdiness? (asking for both nv and amd)

i heard msi can be hit and miss and evga was smart enough to get out from this shitshow.

Do i remember palit having the best bang for buck 1070 with the gamerock version?

Current king of the hill is probably the MSI Suprim X. Runs cool, has insane voltage control and is basically silent.
Asus TUF and Strix a close second - They are so close dont bother paying extra for the Strix just get a TUF.
Gigabyte Aorus Master is so over engineered but it is indeed good, but pricey and huge so I cant recommend it.
Gigabyte Gaming/OC is a super mid, I wouldnt sing its praises but it gets the job done, its just that theres so many worse cards it makes them look good.
Inno3D have a really good reference design that is a no frills I just want it to work card. (Cant remember its name but I can find it soonish)

The Palit 3080 Gamerock was the uncrowned king of last generation.
A well put together chassis/cooler it had rear thermal pads so even the memory was kept cool.
This gen they seem to have dropped the ball and cheaped out on voltage controllers, not that it matters cuz we should be powerlimiting 4090s anyway.
Gainward Phantoms are rebranded Gamerocks without all the RGB so they get the same rating as the Gamerock.

Sapphire for AMD are basically the reference.
Lastgen there was no going wrong with Sapphire, rarely was there any reason to buy anything beyond reference.
Then again I never really mucked about with trying to overclock or powerlimit the RX6000s so I might not be the best person to ask about those cards.

For anyone of us to be able to seriously answer that question, we'd need to go through a LOT of different cards all the time to have some form of experience. Like a professional hardware magazine or something. Instead, all of us buy a card every couple of years, most of the time based off on one's own experience ("I've had a good Asus once so I'll buy Asus every time") or bro science recommendations ("My friend said Gigabyte cards are the best").

Most users across the net tell nothing more than anecdotal evidence when it comes to the quality of different brands cards. Mindfactory publishes failure rates once a year. They basically show that every brand is good (rates vary between .5% and 4% or so, across series, not a single SKU - see link) and reliable. That being said, if I remember correctly lowlights in terms of failure rates were PNY (NV) and PowerColor (AMD). Yes, Sapphire is still a good brand for AMD cards.

Last edited:

GymWolf

For anyone of us to be able to seriously answer that question, we'd need to go through a LOT of different cards all the time to have some form of experience. Like a professional hardware magazine or something. Instead, all of us buy a card every couple of years, most of the time based off on one's own experience ("I've had a good Asus once so I'll buy Asus every time") or bro science recommendations ("My friend said Gigabyte cards are the best").

Most users across the net tell nothing more than anecdotal evidence when it comes to the quality of different brands cards. Mindfactory publishes failure rates once a year. They basically show that every brand is good (rates vary between .5% and 4% or so, across series, not a single SKU - see link) and reliable. That being said, if I remember correctly lowlights in terms of failure rates were PNY (NV) and PowerColor (AMD). Yes, Sapphire is still a good brand for AMD cards.
My last 3 gpus were asus and i had no problems at all so i guess i'm just gonna go with asus again :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I once had a Zotac GeForce 8800GTX and never had a single issue with it (SLI’d it with an nvidia reference card). That was a long time ago though.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I couldn't buy a Zotac card just because I think they look atrocious, haha. Not gonna hold you, but I really love the look of the Suprim non liquid cooled card this time around. Looks real premium and that silverish finish speaks to me. If they had a Suprim version of AMD cards, I would've went with that instead of the reference design.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What is the going rate of 3080 FE? I basically only used it to play Overwatch, ha! No mining.

Fredrik

Ah, if the 4080 would fit in my case… Now, it’s just a whole project rather than a swap.
Could be a nice project though 🙃 I built a whole new PC this time, should’ve waited for the 13900K CPU but 7900x will hopefully be okay too for a couple years. It’s the first PC I’m building from scratch with no help choosing any parts so it was a fun (and slightly scary) project.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Could be a nice project though 🙃 I built a whole new PC this time, should’ve waited for the 13900K CPU but 7900x will hopefully be okay too for a couple years. It’s the first PC I’m building from scratch with no help choosing any parts so it was a fun (and slightly scary) project.
Did the same, had issues took me days to fix (thanks to double shifts all week at work ugh), turns out my old ssd boot drive was on way out and shit the bed. One thing I reused cause had some extras hanging around….

Oh well just means I get to go buy another one of the super fast one tomorrow.. and still have space for 2 more gen 3 in the future.

Fredrik

Did the same, had issues took me days to fix (thanks to double shifts all week at work ugh), turns out my old ssd boot drive was on way out and shit the bed. One thing I reused cause had some extras hanging around….

Oh well just means I get to go buy another one of the super fast one tomorrow.. and still have space for 2 more gen 3 in the future.
I took nothing from the old computer, actually had some issues installing Windows because apparently you need a PC to build a PC lol
And I had some blue screens because I was fiddling with RAM speeds in BIOS, besides that it went okay.

But I over-payed the mb, a cooler I swapped and the psu could probably handle sli 5090, went with 3-pin chassi fans too, very quiet though.
You live and you learn 👍

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just built a new one two years ago, though. And honestly didn’t stretch my build enough. I would have succumbed if only it was a GPU swap but alas. Small form factor PC gamers unite, ha!

Fredrik

I just built a new one two years ago, though. And honestly didn’t stretch my build enough. I would have succumbed if only it was a GPU swap but alas. Small form factor PC gamers unite, ha!
Understandable.
I’ve been upgrading the same build for 10 years, so it was time for a total swap.
And last upgrade wasn’t made for gaming, I had a dip of interest and planned to just have it for Cubase. Then the gaming interest returned and it became a so-so gaming rig I had no problem side-stepping for a new one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No explanation just pics? Did he abuse it or something? I pre bent mine at a certain angle twice before popping it in.

What PSU? Come on, lets research or give more story.

EDIT

I did the research lol

Still no full picture but he should RMA it.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
No explanation just pics? Did he abuse it or something? I pre bent mine at a certain angle twice before popping it in.

What PSU? Come on, lets research or give more story.

EDIT

I did the research lol

Still no full picture but he should RMA it.

This is how he had it set up apparently (he linked this picture further down the thread):

unknown.png

LiquidMetal14

I saw that. Interesting mount. Can't say what would cause that given he has a lot going on there with the custom loop.

In comparison, I'm pushing the 5900x/4090 overclocked with a 360AIO on a 1000w Platinum PSU. More simple but also pushing the limits but it's running great. No complications.

LiquidMetal14

I just watched the Jayz2cents and I think he's he's the way I do. We don't have enough information and how much is pushing it or anything like that already did yet. I am interested to see what he did too have that happen because of somebody that's owned it and bent it once each way to loosen it a little, it's suspect.

Bear in mind that my card is able to do a +190core/+1500mem OC. And I stated this several times regarding my setup as far as specifications but I am only using three out of the four connectors even though I wired for to my power supply and I decided to use three and it's running amazing.

GHG

Gold Member
I saw that. Interesting mount. Can't say what would cause that given he has a lot going on there with the custom loop.

In comparison, I'm pushing the 5900x/4090 overclocked with a 360AIO on a 1000w Platinum PSU. More simple but also pushing the limits but it's running great. No complications.

It's nothing to do with the mount. Vertical gpu mounts have been a thing for forever now and have never led to PCIe cables burning before.

kiphalfton

I hate these 'gamer aesthetics' that plague PC parts.

A lot of motherboards look really fugly. Asus STRIX/ROG and MSI with their 'gaming dragon' looks awful.

This is the best case ever imo:
define-7-review.jpg

Pretty sure that's the fractal define 7? If so I have that one. Also have the same noctua cooler.

Black on black on black.

OZ9000

Banned
Oof. I had a ZOTAC 2080 that had absolutely no issues at all. So I'm pretty surprised by all of the pnegative experiences, that's a shame.
I would never buy ZOTAC or Palit.

My brain associates them with them being low quality.

Asus and Gigabyte have never caused me issues when it comes to GPUs.

Top Bottom