• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nikkei article claims that Nintendo has begun negotiations with suppliers regarding production of its next-generation console

Tams

That TotK "leak" was never verified and even if it is true I don't see why having a special edition switch prevents new completely new hardware from releasing 🤔

Also I never heard of DLC for a 10 year old game preventing the launch of a new console either, especially if that new console were BC. If anything it just means a new MK won't be ready until 2024.

That leak looked pretty damn legitimate.

And a major game, plus massive amounts of DLC for one of the biggest games releasing with no sign of a new console strongly suggests that a new console is not coming soon. Why would they create special edition hardware when a new console would come in and sweep up the sales instead?

It all points down to a gradual winding down of the Switch, as you'd expect before a launch in a year or two.

A new Nintendo console is not coming this year. Just accept it.

deep-sigh-albert-wesker.gif

And now we wait.

Katajx

Gold Member
20 million units in 2023 for Switch is very hard to achieve unless official price cut and bundles are in the play for Nintendo's strategy in this year.
Or without a big game to drive sales. TOTK is this year, but I imagine most people that would buy a switch for it have one by now.

I can’t imagine a special edition moving that many.

Mr Branding

The amount of copium in here is astounding. Nintendo will do just fine with another year on the Switch. Hopefully the next one is also a hybrid with a better eshop, better performance, more quality of life changes and user experience. Most importantly (and this is a deal breaker for me) backwards compatibility. I’d rather they take time for a premium upgrade than rush out a marginal improvement.

Last edited:

Tams

The amount of copium in here is astounding. Nintendo will do just fine with another year on the Switch. Hopefully the next one is also a hybrid with a better eshop, better performance, more quality of life changes and user experience. Most importantly (and this is a deal breaker for me) backwards compatibility. I’d rather they take time for a premium upgrade than rush out a marginal improvement.

I bet half of them don't even have a Switch. And probably won't buy the successor even if it's quite a bit more powerful.

Gambit2483

That leak looked pretty damn legitimate.

And a major game, plus massive amounts of DLC for one of the biggest games releasing with no sign of a new console strongly suggests that a new console is not coming soon. Why would they create special edition hardware when a new console would come in and sweep up the sales instead?

It all points down to a gradual winding down of the Switch, as you'd expect before a launch in a year or two.

A new Nintendo console is not coming this year. Just accept it.
In the age of deepfakes that shit looked extremely fake. 😂 Nintendo is NOT going to let Zelda themed hardware "leak" 5 months before it launches.

And if Nintendo is too stupid to capitalize on their biggest system selling IP then they deserve any failure they recieve when sales and momentum completely die as gamers have moved on to PS5 where they can actually play new games that don't look muddy.

If no new hardware, enjoy your 720p 6th gen ports and cloud versions for 14 months...I'm sure those will drive hardware sales into the sky 😂

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Second half of 2024 sounds late to me. I expected an announcement late 2023 with a release in the first half of 2024.

But if they plan on selling another 20M I guess they can’t afford to announce it before the holidays.

It makes me wonder if we’ll see another Switch revision this year though. Would make sense to launch some kind of hardware alongside Zelda to get an extra push.

Mr Branding

In the age of deepfakes that shit looked extremely fake. 😂 Nintendo is NOT going to let Zelda themed hardware "leak" 5 months before it launches.

And if Nintendo is too stupid to capitalize on their biggest system selling IP then they deserve any failure they recieve when sales and momentum completely die as gamers have moved on to PS5 where they can actually play new games that don't look muddy.

If no new hardware, enjoy your 720p 6th gen ports and cloud versions for 14 months...I'm sure those will drive hardware sales into the sky 😂

''Nintendo is too stupid to capitalize''... it seems they're doing just fine, mate. Actually, they're doing just that, capitalizing on their most successful system in years to break new records. As a non-Nintendo fan (Switch is my first N console) they freaking hooked me on the hybrid nature on the thing, the games, everything, so they're clearly doing something right. I have had my OG V1 Switch for 3 years and finished quite a few games on it, while my eshop wishlist is 50+ games I'd like to own so there is still life in the Switch for me. I've also sold my Ps4 a few days ago, just so I can put that money in buying an OLED just for me as the V1 is my son's now. I also own a Steam Deck but I'm not that eager to play on it because graphics aren't everything like most here try to make it seem.

I feel you're in it for the graphics and performance so why aren't you on the SteamDeck band wagon? You know you can emulate NSW games on it with better performance, right?

20cent

Banned
Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

I always thought when production starts it means 3-4 months til release. So hopefully negotiations means we're close now, but I can't imagine it being for this holiday. Who knows.
No, it means they start negotiating production costs, based on the design they green-lighted internally, in best case scenario.

That means they might need to redesign many things, from electronics to plastics to align with manufacturer on the cost and process aspects. After many steps, they'll have a first production sample, and many pre-production samples until everybody's happy and launch the production. Between each step, improve the molds, plastic parts assembly, over-heating processors, software, bugs, etc.

See you in March 2024, the earliest.

Gambit2483

''Nintendo is too stupid to capitalize''... it seems they're doing just fine, mate. Actually, they're doing just that, capitalizing on their most successful system in years to break new records. As a non-Nintendo fan (Switch is my first N console) they freaking hooked me on the hybrid nature on the thing, the games, everything, so they're clearly doing something right. I have had my OG V1 Switch for 3 years and finished quite a few games on it, while my eshop wishlist is 50+ games I'd like to own so there is still life in the Switch for me. I've also sold my Ps4 a few days ago, just so I can put that money in buying an OLED just for me as the V1 is my son's now. I also own a Steam Deck but I'm not that eager to play on it because graphics aren't everything like most here try to make it seem.

I feel you're in it for the graphics and performance so why aren't you on the SteamDeck band wagon? You know you can emulate NSW games on it with better performance, right?
Nintendo has made plenty of bone headed stupid moves.

Relasing BOTW in Switch was one of the smartest things they could have done as that game carried the system for nearly two years and all but guaranteed its initial success.

Why would you not repeat that success??? They are worried about generation transition because you can easily lose momentum and mindshare in that space.

Waiting too long and filing 2023 with old ass ports and cloud versions while all of the excitement dries up along with decreasing hardware sales is the worst thing they could do. Especially while PS5 gets all the newest 3rd party games and 1st party hits. Meanwhile Switch is CloudPort city. That would be a boneheaded transition into the next hardware, especially if the launch lineup doesn't include a surefire hit like Zelda.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
That TotK "leak" was never verified and even if it is true I don't see why having a special edition switch prevents new completely new hardware from releasing 🤔

Also I never heard of DLC for a 10 year old game preventing the launch of a new console either, especially if that new console were BC. If anything it just means a new MK won't be ready until 2024.
Nintendo released the 2DS xl in June/July 2017 only mere months after the Switch release. I'm not surprised by anything they do.

Gambit2483

No, it means they start negotiating production costs, based on the design they green-lighted internally, in best case scenario.

That means they might need to redesign many things, from electronics to plastics to align with manufacturer on the cost and process aspects. After many steps, they'll have a first production sample, and many pre-production samples until everybody's happy and launch the production. Between each step, improve the molds, plastic parts assembly, over-heating processors, software, bugs, etc.

See you in March 2024, the earliest.
Wasn't Nintendo purchasing raw materials all throughout 2021-2022?

And if you are negotiating production (as in mass production) why would you not already have a production model/prototype that would be mass produced? Seems like you are making a lot of assumptions with where they are in the process.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ray tracing is such a buzzword. It’s the most ‘eh’ piece of technology ever and so far, it’s never worth it if I am able to choose between it and performance.

It's a little more nuanced than that........once you have a properly designed and raytraced game that can also perform, you start to see just how more "real" it can start to look in certain instances. That said our tech inl the console space struggles still. If you had a 4090 (I don't) you can have the best of both worlds. So I'd hate to dismiss it as a buzzword outright, some games/scenes, sure, not much different. But in others it's very obviously better.

20cent

Banned
Wasn't Nintendo purchasing raw materials all throughout 2021-2022?

And if you are negotiating production (as in mass production) why would you not already have a production model/prototype that would be mass produced? Seems like you are making a lot of assumptions with where they are in the process.
Maybe ?
Designing a product and manufacturing it are 2 different things.
I'm not specifically talking about Nintendo, but that's the common process in product manufacturing. The problem solving usually happens in (pre)production stage.

Drell

Ray tracing is such a buzzword. It’s the most ‘eh’ piece of technology ever and so far, it’s never worth it if I am able to choose between it and performance.
RTX is the buzzword your searching for. It's bullshit marketing from nvidia, while Ray Tracing is the the next logical step in real time computer graphics. It may look meh for now because consoles doesn't have the power to offer more than RT reflections at high resolution and 60 fps (or 30 sometimes). But give it some years and I guess games without RT lighting all over the place will be the ones to be "meh" this time.

I bet half of them don't even have a Switch. And probably won't buy the successor even if it's quite a bit more powerful.
I've had a Switch since 2017. It's been used mainly for fun multiplayer games(something Nintendo excels at way more than anyone else) when guests are over, but I do like to indulge into some of their more exclusive single player offerings. Some of their games struggling so much in framerate and features has pained me to see, but I still have enjoyed it.

From 2017-2022, I have been fulfilled in my full price console purchases and I'm fully ready to move on. Maybe you feel unfulfilled, which is why you might want another year with the Switch to justify your investment? For most of us it's been justified well enough and still will be this year going by release dates.

My only actual worry is backwards compatibility. It is a monumental coin flip when it comes to Nintendo. Regardless of what they do however, they will continue to survive.

Last edited:

Tams

Nintendo has made plenty of bone headed stupid moves.

Relasing BOTW in Switch was one of the smartest things they could have done as that game carried the system for nearly two years and all but guaranteed its initial success.

Why would you not repeat that success??? They are worried about generation transition because you can easily lose momentum and mindshare in that space.

Waiting too long and filing 2023 with old ass ports and cloud versions while all of the excitement dries up along with decreasing hardware sales is the worst thing they could do. Especially while PS5 gets all the newest 3rd party games and 1st party hits. Meanwhile Switch is CloudPort city. That would be a boneheaded transition into the next hardware, especially if the launch lineup doesn't include a surefire hit like Zelda.

The problem is people like you talking out of their arse. You can see it with your entire comment.

You have either no clue or appreciation for the lengths it takes to get a product massed produced in the millions and reduce the risk of defects to prevent expensive RMAs and maintain a good reputation.

I bet you'll go off on something like 'Nintendo don't have a good reputation because of the Joycon drift'. I'm going to pre-empt that and say, yes, they do have a great reputation for quality. Perfect? No, and mistakes do happen. Joycons didn't start faultering in large numbers until after a year or two of use for many. And joystick drift is an issue for almost all joysticks that use potentiometers.

Tams

I've had a Switch since 2017. It's been used mainly for fun multiplayer games(something Nintendo excels at way more than anyone else) when guests are over, but I do like to indulge into some of their more exclusive single player offerings. Some of their games struggling so much in framerate and features has pained me to see, but I still have enjoyed it.

From 2017-2022, I have been fulfilled in my full price console purchases and I'm fully ready to move on. Maybe you feel unfulfilled, which is why you might want another year with the Switch to justify your investment? For most of us it's been justified well enough and still will be this year going by release dates.

My only actual worry is backwards compatibility. It is a monumental coin flip when it comes to Nintendo. Regardless of what they do however, they will continue to survive.

No, I've had my fill mostly and do notice the lower resolutions and poor framerates in places. But it's still enjoyable. And most importantly, most owners certainly don't care much about either.

I can wait a year or two for a successor. It's only really a year or two more, not 8-9. Nintendo aren't going to stretch this out for another five years or so.

Gambit2483

Games are more than just the prettiest face...
Agreed but I have standards...sorry if my standards are higher than yours.

In 2023 my standard is, at the least, 1080p/60fps or at very least 1080p/30fps. Switch games currently aren't preforming either of those standards. That's pathetic for a console in 2023

Edited for clarity

Last edited:

The Skull

In 2023 my standard is, at the least, 1080p/60fps or at very least 1080p/30fps. Switch can do neither of those. That's pathetic for a console in 2023
Objectively wrong as Switch does have games that run at 1080p/30 and 1080/60.

Have your standards and preferences for your hardware choices but don't spout misinformation.

Gambit2483

The problem is people like you talking out of their arse. You can see it with your entire comment.

You have either no clue or appreciation for the lengths it takes to get a product massed produced in the millions and reduce the risk of defects to prevent expensive RMAs and maintain a good reputation.

I bet you'll go off on something like 'Nintendo don't have a good reputation because of the Joycon drift'. I'm going to pre-empt that and say, yes, they do have a great reputation for quality. Perfect? No, and mistakes do happen. Joycons didn't start faultering in large numbers until after a year or two of use for many. And joystick drift is an issue for almost all joysticks that use potentiometers.
I dont know how old you are but I've seen Nintendo shit the bed when it comes to a generation transition many times. They went from the hottest system in the world to the most irrelevant joke of the industry by the time Wii was done and momentum and mindshare was completely lost.

Just because the Switch is "hot" right now at this moment doesn't mean it can't become ice cold by September if software dries up and market interest has completely shifted to PS5 and casuals move onto something else.

Gambit2483

Objectively wrong as Switch does have games that run at 1080p/30 and 1080/60.

Have your standards and preferences for your hardware choices but don't spout misinformation.
Lol I didn't mean literally...geez. I mean as in actual (new) games on the market currently running at those specs

hemo memo

Gold Member

In 2023 my standard is, at the least, 1080p/60fps or at very least 1080p/30fps. Switch can do neither of those. That's pathetic for a console in 2023
Even an ugly art style is ugly even at 4K/120FPS.

Tams

I dont know how old you are but I've seen Nintendo shit the bed when it comes to a generation transition many times. They went from the hottest system in the world to the most irrelevant joke of the industry by the time Wii was done and momentum and mindshare was completely lost.

Just because the Switch is "hot" right now at this moment doesn't mean it can't become ice cold by September if software dries up and market interest has completely shifted to PS5 and casuals move onto something else.

That does not change the fact that suppliers cannot magic up components and that assembly lines can't just pump out a few million units in a few weeks. Let alone for Nintendo to test samples and send them back to the suppliers, then get the revised versions back, then send the revisions back, etc., etc., etc.

levyjl1988

Banned
I believe The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD and Legend of Zelda Windwaker were delayed to be launch titles for the next Nintendo gen system. They know it will be enough incentive for a launch line up and guarenteed sales.

I can wait a year or two for a successor. It's only really a year or two more, not 8-9. Nintendo aren't going to stretch this out for another five years or so.
…but a year or two more than 2023 will make it an 8-9 year console. What would you say is your biggest reason for wanting them to hold back? You claim to be fulfilled with Switch but you still want more time. There has to be more to what you’ve said, or is it like I’ve stated and you don’t feel that your investment has been justified?

Tams

…but a year or two more than 2023 will make it an 8-9 year console. What would you say is your biggest reason for wanting them to hold back? You claim to be fulfilled with Switch but you still want more time. There has to be more to what you’ve said, or is it like I’ve stated and you don’t feel that your investment has been justified?

Ummm, thanks for trying to tell me how I feel? Or how about you knock that off, eh? I didn't tell you how to feel, so please extend that curtesy to me and others.

Anyway, I'm more than satisfied. I was satisfied within the first 10 minutes of playing BotW. Not to mention the 1-2 Switch (as fleeting as they were), Mario Kart and Smash Bros. sessions. And I still have a backlog of games for it, and not because I don't feel like playing but because I just have other things in life to do as well.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This whole situation reminds me of when Nintendo was planning a GBA2 alongside the Nintendo DS, but decided to drop the GBA2 and double down on the DS.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Ummm, thanks for trying to tell me how I feel? Or how about you knock that off, eh? I didn't tell you how to feel, so please extend that curtesy to me and others.
You’re being way too defensive right now. Re-read my post. I was asking legitimate questions because I’m curious, not because I’m mansplaining or describing your feelings for you. I’m up for an honest conversation but if we’re going to pour feelings into it, read too hard into things, or get defensive, then I’m out.

Anyway, I'm more than satisfied. I was satisfied within the first 10 minutes of playing BotW. Not to mention the 1-2 Switch (as fleeting as they were), Mario Kart and Smash Bros. sessions. And I still have a backlog of games for it, and not because I don't feel like playing but because I just have other things in life to do as well.
Would you say it’s that same backlog that forms your opinion on the matter?

EDMIX

Call it Switch 2, have a pack in with an hdmi cord and an option without it, make it BC to Switch 1...profit.

Switch 2 is an easy day 1 buy even if its not BC. (I once overed majority titles anyway lol)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If it doesn't release this year I'm emulating (still buying the games of course! I'm a responsible citizen), tired of playing on this shithouse tablet from a decade ago.
It's actually older than that, depending on how you look at it

One thing is for sure though, it will NOT be a simple specs upgrade. If that is what you're expecting, then I'm sorry. You will probably be disappointed.

Personally, I'm willing to accept whatever comes. If it's shit I will just go PS or PC. Us gamers will survive. No need to worry, on that end. There are certainly more important things.

TLZ

Banned
Nintendo hype is just different. Can’t wait.
For me it always goes back to when I got my Famicom. I was so hyped. That fantastic Famicom first impression stuck with me and is the reason I'm always looking forward to new Nintendo hardware.

rogr rogr

For me it always goes back to when I got my Famicom. I was so hyped. That fantastic Famicom first impression stuck with me and is the reason I'm always looking forward to new Nintendo hardware.
And after that the SNES. THAT was hype!

About the Switch, do you guys think there is any possibility of Nintendo releasing a standalone dock upgrade to improve graphics output without touching the original switch internal hardware?

Marvel14

Banned

In 2023 my standard is, at the least, 1080p/60fps or at very least 1080p/30fps. Switch games currently aren't preforming either of those standards. That's pathetic for a console in 2023

Edited for clarity
Don't apologise to me. I and many others like me can appreciate and enjoy a wider range of games than you can. Apologise to yourself for depriving you of sources of enjoyment just because they don't meet your visual standards. It's your loss, not mine.

Tams

You’re being way too defensive right now. Re-read my post. I was asking legitimate questions because I’m curious, not because I’m mansplaining or describing your feelings for you. I’m up for an honest conversation but if we’re going to pour feelings into it, read too hard into things, or get defensive, then I’m out.

Would you say it’s that same backlog that forms your opinion on the matter?

I'm out because you clearly think your opinion is more valid. For whatever reason you can't accept that I have no problems with a year or two more of the Switch.

I try to understand how other people think, but I can't wrap my head around why you can't just accept my gaming preferences. I didn't question yours.

Perhaps your assumption that I thought you were 'mansplaining' says something about you, but that's too off topic.

Top Bottom