• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taiwanese Economic Forum reports the Nintendo Switch 2 will have a 120Hz screen and improved battery life, but only 8GB of ram and 64GB of Storage

Draugoth

Gold Member
switch-2-predicted-to-arrive-in-2024-at-less-than-400_tuh7.jpg

Machine translation. Open to interpretation. Native Taiwanese speakers will be appreciated. Credits to Fami for Translation.

Source: https://money.udn.com/money/story/11162/7694628

It is widely rumored in the industry that Nintendo is expected to launch a new Switch this year to capture the market. In response to the pressure of global inflation and the weak yen, the price of the new product will be unprecedentedly raised. The retail price will be raised from $300 to $400, a 33% increase.

Industry sources pointed out that during the initial launch of Switch, Nintendo’s senior management formulated a core strategy of pricing the console just above cost to quickly penetrate the market, and recovering the profits through game software. This market strategy is indeed quite successful, but as a result many suppliers are under considerable cost pressure. Now as the prices of new generation product rise, the supply chains can breathe a sigh of relief.

In addition, since the Switch has never had a major hardware update since its launch, the market expects that Nintendo is likely to launch the new generation in the second half of this year, and some hardware specifications will be upgraded, including NVIDIA’s T239 processor, 8GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, a greatly improved battery life, and a screen refresh rate of 120Hz.

Last edited:

Mowcno

120hz??? Nintendo WTF???
120hz is pretty standard on phones these days so it wouldn't be that surprising that their screen would support it. Doesn't mean there'll be many, or any, games running at 120hz on it. It would open the door for 40fps nicely though.

8GB ram is about what I expected, PS4 to PS5 doubled the ram, Switch to Switch 2 doing the same. If they're targeting $400 it makes sense though 64gb internal is lower than I would have thought.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

120hz VRR screen akin to ROG Ally (but OLED) would be amazing. It helps a lot with fluctuating frame rates.

8GB of RAM and 64GB local storage would be tremendously disappointing. Maybe it will be like a WiiU with upgraded model for $100 more…

Last edited:
Only reason to do 120hz is to get 60fps 3D games. Maybe this device will be the Switch 3D. 120hz on such a tiny screen is completely useless for a lot of reasons but 3D.

It takes battery, power, more cpu and gpu requirements for zero visible improvement on a carry device.

So in short, I don’t believe the rumor because 3D seems pretty dead nowadays even though I love it personally, and 120hz is just useless for a gaming handheld

I'm guessing multiple SKUs. And the 64GB thing might be just internal storage. I'm assuming you can put in an additional memory card for any amount above that. Disappointing if they're not doing SSD or at least ultra-fast storage, though.

120Hz screen sounds good. 8GB ram is double the current Switch. Combined with DLSS and majorly beefed up CPU/GPU, honestly I think it'd be fine. What are people expecting the specs to be, realistically? It's at most a $399 device that Nintendo has to make money on from day one.

Last edited:

splattered

I'm guessing multiple SKUs. And the 64GB thing might be just internal storage. I'm assuming you can put in an additional memory card for any amount above that. Disappointing if they're not doing SSD or at least ultra-fast storage, though.

120Hz screen sounds good. 8GB ram is double the current Switch. Combined with DLSS and majorly beefed up CPU/GPU, honestly I think it'd be fine. What are people expecting the specs to be, realistically? It's at most a $399 device that Nintendo has to make money on from day one.

The Steam Deck has 16GB of Ram.

The ROG Ally has 16GB of Ram.

The Lenovo Go has 16GB of Ram.

The next phone i am going to buy in a month from now is rumored to have 16GB of Ram.

For Switch 2 - i am expecting 16GB of Ram.

tkscz

The next phone i am going to buy in a month from now is rumored to have 16GB of Ram.

I'd be expecting 12GB but a dedicated gaming device doesn't need the extra RAM a handheld Windows machine would. Less overhead to run in the background.

Storage is cheap af, its not whatever to me. Atleast go with 256gb so people dont have to spend more money immediately to buy new storage for a brand new console
That's the point though, it's cheap af so you can pay $20 and get a 256GB micro-SD card. Those $20 in savings should be put to better use than storage (E.g. RAM, Screen, Battery, etc.)

Nvzman

64gb of storage sounds extremely Nintendo.
120hz is something that makes me slightly doubtful but I could possibly see it, especially if Nintendo decides to double down on the touchscreen aspect of the device.

cireza

120Hz wooooouhhouuuu.

Everything frame of that 20fps game will be refreshed 6 times instead of 3, this is going to be awesome.

Or maybe they are bringing back 3D.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
8GB would have me scratching my head...maybe some sort of rationale about its performance relative to Switch 1's RAM? But 12GB seems like the better target. Internal storage I don't really care about, I'll be throwing at least a 1TB SD card in there anyway. All of this presumes I'm buying one...which let's be honest, I will be, but when I will be depends on it having a BC solution.

Woopah

It seems like this is investor expectations, not based on any actual leaked info.

As others have said I'd expect 12GB of RAM and more internal storage.

I'm not sure I believe the screen or battery claims either

None of those are designed by Nintendo, and they all have to run a very resource-heavy OS in the background. Switch 2 will be a snappy little game-focused handheld laser focused on just playing games with no frills. So none of the above are good points of comparison, honestly. And let's be real, no one serious expects next-gen Switch to launch with more than 12GB ram. Even 12GB seems high to me. Nintendo will prioritize portability, small form factor, and battery life at the cost of performance and everything else. Specs are secondary to sexiness. And again, this is a rumor.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
8GB of ram....huh.

8 GB, just like base PS4.

Those reports are matching each other.
How much of that 8GB will be available for games is the burning question.

For Nintendo 1st party, Switch 2 exclusives, its whatever. For multi platform games....?

Top Bottom