• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Seriously, Nintendo, It’s Time to Release a Switch Pro

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What does the word “optimize” mean to you? It’s a five year old console with an even older ARM chip at its core. There is no secret sauce in there left to pull better performance. At this point it’s just a series of choices with an associated trade-off.
Eh, just cos Nintendo funds Platinum and wants something in return (namely some co-ownership for the series they fund) doesn't make them first party the same like internal team games. Xeno 3 isn't on that level either, it's much more stable despite the scale (and an RPG, so hiccups matter less).

Ofcourse it is the dev's own fault (or goal)! Bayonetta 1 runs near flawlessly and is still an over the top crazy cool game, they could work on its (or DMC4's) level with whatever improvements they can squeeze/specialize for Switch vs multiplatform and new story/levels/mechanics but didn't do so.

For all you know Platinum would make the exact same decisions on any hardware, push scale, action, further at the expense of resolution, performance, etc. vs other games. Also they don't magically become AAA like Capcom and DMCV just cos Nintendo funds a B series/studio nobody else did.

Anyway, I don't think anybody would think Bayonetta 3 with its issues bests the best of PS360 yet between Dark Souls, Bayonetta, Crysis trilogy and other/Nintendo games Switch has shown it exceeds that by a good margin so it's not at fault if some devs don't try to shoot for that level, or can't.

To be honest they should have probably just gone for 30fps like Astral Chain for Bayonetta 3 and finely tune it to be super consistent instead. That would work out better for the Switch itself, for the game being hopefully both more impressive and more consistent, and for future 60fps ports too.

Pokemon is on a system with Dragon Quest XI (and indeed the Xenoblade games among others) in the same genre, come on. It's on UE4 and wasn't an exclusive or even made with Switch in mind as the portable version was supposed to be the wholly different 3DS game Japan got. And it's ace.

And yet people are mad and call them anti consumer because they don't try to make folks upgrade within the same gen? What happens if a Switch Pro can't do 4K/60 then, either in specific games or all of them but offers other improvements, it'll be anti consumer there's no New Switch Pro?

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
While I get the point, this is not a well written article. It literally hand pick the worst performing games across all platforms, and mix with the most poor performance-wise developers as "examples", while ignores the incredible results nier, no man's sky and ark achieved. Hell, they claim square gave up on bring their game while literally mentioning nier, a square game, made by the same people who bought Bayonetta 3, which they also mention. Like, wtf?

Don't like how it takes data from it's ass regarding switch stock either.

I don't really like the switch, but most of those arguments ignores factual evidence in favor of a made up threshold of how "acceptable" this product are. Nintendo fans just had a console that had its life cycle halved because it sold so poorly. Suggesting releasing a new console will appease these same fans is short sighted at best.

This is probably the first article ever that you have better information reading only the title than it's entire content.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't want to get banned because of Nintendo, but yeah, they should have done that in like 2018...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Nintendo is one of the most tonedeaf, anti consumer gaming companies around
they are NOT gonna make a switch pro... hell i'm doubting even a switch 2 at this point, they could ride this train until the end of the 2020s if they wanted. Just look at how long the gameboy lasted

I really enjoy Nintendo games and own an OLED, but this is sadly the truth. As nice of a face as they put on, they are entirely anti consumer in pretty much every way that counts. Every other game company is about chasing that dollar too, don't get me wrong, but at least Microsoft, Sony, and Valve make concessions and occasionally even overt actions of kindness towards their customers. Nintendo? Nope - they are 1000% about that profit above all else, ruthless.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Oh great, another Switch Pro thread...

9daf36f1-46f7-49ec-81db-0cd2f96c1384_text.gif
That new Indiana Jones game!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Well I for one refuse to buy a switch until they release a new model.......oh wait.......crap.

Pro model makes no sense anymore.
They should be working full time on Switch 2 or whatever they will call it. New console. It’s way too late for a mid Gen refresh at this point.

kubricks

Graphics don't matter, gameplay does.
It does when it has to do with frame rate and frame pacing, it affects the gameplay greatly.

I can handle low res texture, I dont mind low resolution on the small handheld screen, I have no issue with a stable 30fps, to give you some idea I have over 200hours on the Switcher 3, and 60hours on the latest Nier Automata.

However, playing games with constant stuttering like Age of Calamity and many other ports physically makes me sick. This is not unacceptable.

Knightime_X

Skip pro, go straight to Switch 2.
Make it BC. If not, at least make the games 1080p (720p minimum) 60fps ffs.

Last edited:
IGN whatever, no research doing dumb ass wet behind the ears stupid fucks who are only working at a gaming site to try and suck off someone into a real job at a woke video game publisher they jerk off about every night..

Zuzu

My hope is for 2.5tf docked performance with all the support for modern things such as vrr, hdr, variable rate shading etc. and dlss 3.x. Also please have an oled model available at launch. Even if they want to offer a lower priced lcd model as well I so hope they’ll have an oled model available at the get go also.

cireza

Banned
I'd rather see them come back to proper, dedicated handheld gaming. A New 3DS system, with BC, bring back 3D, with passive cooling, low resolution, and good battery life.

Marvel14

Banned

Marvel14

Banned
My hope is for 2.5tf docked performance with all the support for modern things such as vrr, hdr, variable rate shading etc. and dlss 3.x. Also please have an oled model available at launch. Even if they want to offer a lower priced lcd model as well I so hope they’ll have an oled model available at the get go also.
They should ditch lcd. Wii U showed that if your hardware is low tech, out of date design and relies on a gimmick for sales people will not buy it.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
What they should name it: Switch 2.

What they will name it: The New Switch

Episode 4 Abc GIF by The Bachelor

They should ditch lcd. Wii U showed that if your hardware is low tech, out of date design and relies on a gimmick for sales people will not buy it.
LCD is still cheaper. You also do not worry about the burn in, and in games with static UI elements this can be an issue. Also a lot of people have OLED TVs, so if they primarily game on the TV it's useless to them.

I like the idea of maybe making a beefier dock that will increase the performance of the base Switch.

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
What they should name it: Switch 2.

What they will name it: The New Switch

Episode 4 Abc GIF by The Bachelor

LCD is still cheaper. You also do not worry about the burn in, and in games with static UI elements this can be an issue. Also a lot of people have OLED TVs, so if they primarily game on the TV it's useless to them.

I like the idea of maybe making a beefier dock that will increase the performance of the base Switch.
Come on, "oled is useless to gamers" is such a bullshit statement.

Few first gen of oleds had these problems, but modern ones wont get burnin unless you run some static image for thousands of hours without anything else AKA not realistic case.

If they game 95% of the time and only play 1-2 games, then maybe there is small chance, but even then you have to abuse the TV to make it happen.

I have had Sony OLED since 2020 december, have over 6000 hours on it, maybe 3/4 is gaming and there havent been any burn in problems.

yes, you can get unlucky, but fear of burn-in is not the case anymore basically. And they can still make "rules to devs" about static GUI placement, to lower the burn-in chance even more.

But nintendo is cheaping out on hardware, so it is possible that they still use lcd.

Also, there would already be a good SoC, if Nintendo would not cheap out, they could have started to engineer custom SoC with NVIDIA years ago and now have something efficent + fast, but they want to use some slow/cheaper off the shelf part like they did with original switch.

Android SoCs have come long way since 2016, so it is not like mobile tech havent evolved. Only excuse that Nintendo can use is that they didnt want to pay to get new SoC from Nvidia.

Switch performance were pretty bad on release, and is abysmall by now, can't except much better from switch 2. Maybe PS4 performance level +-20 % when docked if we are lucky.

Poppyseed

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity was when I realized we needed better hardware. Game ran like ass. Since then things have gotten progressively worse.

I should be excited about Crisis Core on Switch but all I can think about is how does it run? :messenger_fearful:
And Xenoblade 3 only makes you think it’s running well. Late game resolution and frame rate I swear is closer to 480p/20. It’s so blurry at times I couldn’t believe it.

Lunarorbit

It's embarrassing that they released pokemon in the state they did. I have shield and I'll never buy a pokemon game again. The world was empty and limited and felt really lazy.

The point for a system refresh was a couple years ago. Since animal crossing I've only played the switch a little. I think it's great for indies and Nintendo games where they give a shit but thats the m.o. for the switch it's entire life.

spons

Gold Member
It's going to be either underpowered sub-par ARM trash, or not going to be backwards compatible. Pick your poison.

spons

Gold Member
ARM Trash? Some of the most powerful per watt processors that exist?
Not referring to ARM being trash by definition, rather the Switch 2 using a trashy processor. Nintendo has little options available on using custom ARM next gen.

ParaSeoul

It does when it has to do with frame rate and frame pacing, it affects the gameplay greatly.

I can handle low res texture, I dont mind low resolution on the small handheld screen, I have no issue with a stable 30fps, to give you some idea I have over 200hours on the Switcher 3, and 60hours on the latest Nier Automata.

However, playing games with constant stuttering like Age of Calamity and many other ports physically makes me sick. This is not unacceptable.
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
"graphics don't matter."

Ok, let me smash your TV then. Let's see how much you like the game with no graphics to look at. That game play will surely make up for 0 display right?

Last edited:

benjohn

Switch released 5 years ago and there's still misundrestanding about what it is. It IS NOT your PS5 or Series X. It's practically a tablet which can be connected to your tv. Ofcourse it's not going to perform as well as a home console. And what happened to the last company who released a console every 2 years? Yeah I mean Sega.

I never owned a switch just because its hardware was absolete before production even began.......
I know I missed out on a few gems (did play Astral Chain on a borrowed switch. Game was fucking awesome), but I refuse to pay top dollar for shit hardware.... Kinda like IOS devices. (let the flaming commence)

Last edited:
Switch released 5 years ago and there's still misundrestanding about what it is. It IS NOT your PS5 or Series X. It's practically a tablet which can be connected to your tv. Ofcourse it's not going to perform as well as a home console. And what happened to the last company who released a console every 2 years? Yeah I mean Sega.
Stop it. Just stop. Nintendo sold it as a console. Not a Tablet, or nextgen DS, a console.

We can make all the comparisons we want, because the target demographic is the same and the intended purpose of the device.

Nice to see you kiss Nintendo's feet though....

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
nvidia really shouldn’t have a problem creating an SoC of Steam Deck’s caliber with a lower TDP which can be produced inexpensively at scale in the next year. They could have a $300-$350 version and still break even.

That they’re not doing this is probably just a sign that they’re pretty content with the insane volume the Switch keeps moving with what I only assume are huge margins at this point.

benjohn

Stop it. Just stop. Nintendo sold it as a console. Not a Tablet, or nextgen DS, a console.

We can make all the comparisons we want, because the target demographic is the same and the intended purpose of the device.

Common don't play victim. You talk as though somebody conned you into buying a switch. Everybody and their mother knew what a switch was. You're the only one pretending to be fooled and sorry I don't buy that

Last edited:

Woopah

Also, there would already be a good SoC, if Nintendo would not cheap out, they could have started to engineer custom SoC with NVIDIA years ago and now have something efficent + fast, but they want to use some slow/cheaper off the shelf part like they did with original switch.

Android SoCs have come long way since 2016, so it is not like mobile tech havent evolved. Only excuse that Nintendo can use is that they didnt want to pay to get new SoC from Nvidia.

Switch performance were pretty bad on release, and is abysmall by now, can't except much better from switch 2. Maybe PS4 performance level +-20 % when docked if we are lucky.
That's exactly what they are doing.

People can make comparisons. But people also understand that the Switch was never going to be as powerful as a PS4, just like people understand that the PS5 was never going to be as portable as a Switch.

Last edited:
They'll make another with better hardware when it's cheap enough, which will leave some wanting again.

Last edited:
I'll never understand people who waste their time demanding that Nintendo try to compete on technology. They've confirmed that they are opposed to bleeding edge tech both vocally on many occasions and in practice given that everyone of their home consoles have been behind their competitors going as far back as the N64.

Killer8

Yup it's long overdue and a travesty to their brilliant software

Is it really long overdue? We had to wait 7 years for PS5/XSX. As long as Switch Pro is out sometime next year, it seems like it's perfectly on time.

Not like there is a huge amount of urgency to release it, given the sales and how well the old Tegra X1 chip is holding up.

Is it really long overdue? We had to wait 7 years for PS5/XSX. As long as Switch Pro is out sometime next year, it seems like it's perfectly on time.

Not like there is a huge amount of urgency to release it, given the sales and how well the old Tegra X1 chip is holding up.
We disagree that's fine i think it’s long overdue

lachesis

When I heard of OLED model last year, I realized Nintendo isn't coming out a "pro" model till actual successor.

My guess for so called "pro" or "switch2" will happen in 2024. Sales are still strong for Switch family at the moment. In 2024, it would be around 2nd year sale... so I assume they'll build up momentum from late next year, for 2024 release.

Trunx81

As someone who played the Borderlands 2 port on PS Vita in its original glory, I am used to suffering. A SwitcherOO would be nice, but it means new hardware (expensive), skalpers, high prices in the beginning, shortage due to the chip problems worldwide, etc. As long as the Switch 1 is selling, Nintendo won’t make a move.

Flutta

Banned
I mean why would they? They’re still selling those old ass switches like they were released yesterday.

It’s called good biz, y’ll mofos think Ninty cares about what you want?
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Last edited:
Top Bottom