• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[IGN] Seriously, Nintendo, It’s Time to Release a Switch Pro

Mozza

Zelda Tears of the Kingdom still being released in this ancient hardware is a crime.
Not really a crime, the new Zelda will be using the same engine as Breath of the wild, a game built for the Wii U then adapted for the Switch, in a pretty short space of time. The Switch version got patched pretty soon after release but still had issues in certain areas, although even in these instances changing the camera angle did help matters slightly, so it could be due to optimization as well. The latest game will be better due to the development team having spent more time with the game engine, and indeed the Switch hardware.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter.
What matters are the people in control during that time.
Nintendo isn't ran by Iwata anymore, so who knows what they'll do, powerwise.
Wii, Wii U and Switch were all under the eye of Iwata who believed weaker hardware generated better creativity.
I don't know about high power, but I definitely believe that the new leadership is much more conservative and there won't be any crazy gimmicks. Just like there won't be super experimental software like on Gamecube. IMO you'll get a more powerful Switch 2 with your typical Mario Kart, Zelda, predictable platformers and some otaku bait like Xenoblade inbetween - the end.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

At some point Nintendo really needs to focus on stronger hardware. But it's a dragon that feels like a lot of people have been chasing for SEVERAL years. I'd like to think that they'd return to a situation where they have power that's up to snuff. But I really don't know, especially after what they've been doing for so long now. It's just so sad to see games releasing on the Switch that are BARELY making it on the console.

TLZ

Banned
Because Nintendo is going with Nvidia, it'll be difficult to compare the two in raw power.

Say they do decide to make a custom chipset based on Tegra Thor (the Lovelace model), the 4nm Lovelace GPU would provide the best feature set for lower power as smaller nodes require less power to run equal to the previous larger nodes (in this case 7nm Ampere). I wouldn't expect anything crazy like 4096 CUDA cores, which is double Orin's 2048, but something from1024 to 2560. Lets just go with a middle ground at 2048 Lovelace CUDA cores and say they run at 600MHz to keep the wattage down in the 10w - 15w average. The GPU would be 2.4TF, which is above the Steam Deck's 1.6 but not by a huge margin.

However, in keeping with the longer battery life, the Switch 2 would also continue to use an ARM processor, probably 8 core, that wouldn't be more than 1.5GHz vs Steam Deck's 2.4 to 3.2GHz x86 based Zen2 CPU, which would clearly out perform an arm CPU.

Then there is RAM, in which I could see Nintendo also using 16GB of LPDDR5, but probably not at the 5500MTs as the Steam Deck as it would save power to under clock it. Which would cause bottlenecking.

I could see nvidia providing a much better GPU than whats in the Steam deck only because they've been at the portable/low powered game for longer. But the rest of the system would be more focused on longer battery life and could bottleneck the GPU. All hypothetical of course.
And all this portable bottlenecking is why I hope they go back to 2 systems, dedicated home console and portable. Still using the same cartridges/digital versions on both systems though to keep that unification. This way they can please everybody. Let portable be a proper portable in look and size and let home console be a proper one. This also helps them not fall too far behind in power if they only stick to portable hardware.

daveonezero

Banned
And all this portable bottlenecking is why I hope they go back to 2 systems, dedicated home console and portable. Still using the same cartridges/digital versions on both systems though to keep that unification. This way they can please everybody. Let portable be a proper portable in look and size and let home console be a proper one. This also helps them not fall too far behind in power if they only stick to portable hardware.
That would be more confusing for consumers and more complex and harder to do if they had the same game libraries.

The whole point of the switch was to consolidate teams for Nintendo. It allows them to stay in the game.

Knightime_X

I don't know about high power, but I definitely believe that the new leadership is much more conservative and there won't be any crazy gimmicks. Just like there won't be super experimental software like on Gamecube. IMO you'll get a more powerful Switch 2 with your typical Mario Kart, Zelda, predictable platformers and some otaku bait like Xenoblade inbetween - the end.
Maybe so, but things can change.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean maybe if the Nintendo switch and their games were not selling better than either the PlayStation or Xbox.. then you might have a point.. but…. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
That would be more confusing for consumers and more complex and harder to do if they had the same game libraries.

The whole point of the switch was to consolidate teams for Nintendo. It allows them to stay in the game.
How's that more confusing? A console for tv and a portable device like we already have many of. And the same cartridge goes in the console and the portable. Same hardware, but the console version more beefed up. Same 2 profiles like we have now with docked and undocked. Nothing changed. And the teams are still consolidated.

I don't see people confused between the Switch and the Switch Lite. That's almost the same concept. One's portable only and one's both. Just do that and make the hybrid version, home only. Done.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
How's that more confusing? A console for tv and a portable device like we already have many of. And the same cartridge goes in the console and the portable. Same hardware, but the console version more beefed up. Same 2 profiles like we have now with docked and undocked. Nothing changed. And the teams are still consolidated.

I don't see people confused between the Switch and the Switch Lite. That's almost the same concept. One's portable only and one's both. Just do that and make the hybrid version, home only. Done.
2 distinct designed devices.

Also what’s the advantage of that over just increasing clocks and power while docked? If the hardware inside is the same.

I think they had the right idea with the Switch being 720 and docked targeting 1080p but the chips were capable of taking on more power and clock speed.

With better chipsets they could make a much bigger performance gain with the dock.

Last edited:

Your point was power = failure.
Nah, my point was the exact opposite lol. Nintendo consoles dont need to be powerful to sell and Nintendo has had multiple commercial successes without having powerful hardware. As a company they dont focus on power anymore any they dont need to.

Interfectum

Also what’s the advantage of that over just increasing clocks and power while docked? If the hardware inside is the same.

I think they had the right idea with the Switch being 720 and docked targeting 1080p but the chips were capable of taking on more power and clock speed.

With better chipsets they could make a much bigger performance gain with the dock.
They should add additional hardware in the dock for further enhancements. That should satisfy both sides I think.

E-Cat

Nah, my point was the exact opposite lol. Nintendo consoles dont need to be powerful to sell and Nintendo has had multiple commercial successes without having powerful hardware. As a company they dont focus on power anymore any they dont need to.
His argument wasn't that underpowered Nintendo consoles can't sell.

Knightime_X

Konami didn't need games to make money because of pachinko and slot machines.
Pretty sure there is a company out there making money in ways you don't care for and wish they didn't to better improve the end user experience.
Kinda weird to defend them when it does nothing for you except make things worse on your end.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Why not just do a handheld device, and sell an eGPU dock to power the tv console. It would allow them to keep the costs of both the handheld and tv versions to a minimum and only target people who want either. It would be a modern platform so a simple thunderbolt connector would make this child's play.

FBeeEye

Banned
Nintendo's afraid. They haven't released two successful consoles in a row since the N64.

They have reason to be. If the Switch 2 is just an evolution of the Switch, it may not be as successful. Wii and the Switch were major paradigm shifts that disrupted the industry. The only way I think Nintendo can swing it out of the park is to do what Microsoft did with the Xbox Series X|S. There needs to be a Switch 2 and a Switch 2 Pro. The Switch 2 needs to be the lower cost upgrade to the Switch while the Pro goes after the hardcore audience and the Steam Deck audience. Nintendo reaching back out to the core enthusiast would be the paradigm shift they need to make the Switch's successor successful.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Most of the size difference between the Switch and Deck is in the controls. This is what makes the Deck much more versatile and comfortable to play. I’m glad Deck has big ass controls with touchpads, back buttons, and curvy handles.

5ady2B7.jpg

This isn’t to say that the Switch 2 couldn’t be smaller and more powerful. Look at the GPD Win 4 that’s more powerful than a Deck and way smaller despite packing a slider keyboard.
Strongly disagree. I feel versatility goes to Switch. What other console comes set up for local co op out of the box? This is mainly due to the joycon design which is a best of both worlds kind of affair: ok for single player handheld and good for local co op.

While the Deck is comfy in the hands, I love the third party options available for Switch, some arguably even more comfortable. I still rock the Hori Split Pad Pro and it’s great. Also, whenever I pick the Deck up for a sesh, it gets pretty heavy after an hour-ish and this is coming from someone who regularly hits the gym. Switch on the other hand is barely noticeable when it comes to weight.

Maverick074

Banned
Not really a crime, the new Zelda will be using the same engine as Breath of the wild, a game built for the Wii U then adapted for the Switch, in a pretty short space of time. The Switch version got patched pretty soon after release but still had issues in certain areas, although even in these instances changing the camera angle did help matters slightly, so it could be due to optimization as well. The lates game will be better due to the development team having spent more time with the game engine, and indeed the Switch hardware.
I feel this. I've seen the trailers for TotK and can't really see it as anything more than a glorified expansion pack.

Idk, I'm just waiting to see how Nintendo plans on making the BotW lightning strike twice

Konami didn't need games to make money because of pachinko and slot machines.
Pretty sure there is a company out there making money in ways you don't care for and wish they didn't to better improve the end user experience.
Kinda weird to defend them when it does nothing for you except make things worse on your end.

More powerful hardware doesn't automatically mean a better user experience....

Saiyan-Rox

I fully expected a new switch with the release of the new Zelda

I mean they've done it before with twilight Princess and breath of the wild

Knightime_X

No it doesnt. It can but it all comes down to how the games are developed.
No.
Switch is weak.
Passable for a handheld i guess, but You're not getting gen9 power on switch no matter how hard you try.

The games will never be equal at it's current stage when it comes to graphics, image quality and performance.

Whether or not the game is actually good is completely irrelevant.

sncvsrtoip

read it now, lol IGN you didnt disappoint to deliver ;d its defenitly not time to realese switch pro, way too late, switch 2 other story

Last edited:

No.
Switch is weak.
Passable for a handheld i guess, but You're not getting gen9 power on switch no matter how hard you try.

The games will never be equal at it's current stage when it comes to graphics, image quality and performance.

Whether or not the game is actually good is completely irrelevant.
LOL

tkscz

They should add additional hardware in the dock for further enhancements. That should satisfy both sides I think.
Or they could allow the device to go to full specs when docked. Using the example I gave, docking it would boost the GPU clocks to 1.2GHz (full speed). That alone shoots the specs for the GPU from 2.4TFs to 5TFs. Battery nor heat would be an issue. There was no reason not to do this with the Switch either as people have clocked the Switch to normal clocks and saw no heat issue or battery damage in docked mode. It shouldn't have to stay at 10w when it's being charged. Should be able to hit 20w. My best guess was that there is something wrong with the Switch's power intake. Grabbing too much power causing a problem.

Tams

Gold Member
Fuck Switch Pro. Give me a goddamn traditional and modern in every way home console.
They did that several times, and it didn't do well on three of them (and yes, even the Wii U was modern in the sense that it had great potential for streaming - note the dedicated 'TV' hardware button).

In over two decades, the Wii is the only home console of theirs that has done well (well, more than well) as it caught some sort of cultural zeitgeist. It's long been their handhelds keeping them stable.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They did that several times, and it didn't do well on three of them (and yes, even the Wii U was modern in the sense that it had great potential for streaming - note the dedicated 'TV' hardware button).

In over two decades, the Wii is the only home console of theirs that has done well (well, more than well) as it caught some sort of cultural zeitgeist. It's long been their handhelds keeping them stable.

To be fair, those platforms didn't fail because they were dedicated home consoles. They failed because of pricing, lack of games, and marketing. Sometimes all 3.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The problem with Wii U was that they didn't know how to promote the damn thing. That's why it failed.
Wii was so successful cuz if it's marketing for casuals like older people etc. It was marketed as an exercise machine with motion controls and less so as a hardcore gaming device.

They can make another and modern home console, they just won't cuz this outdated pos is so popular even 5 years later. We'll have PS7-8 a few decades from now and they'll still won't do anything about it. I get that they're doing their own thing, I just refuse to support it, accept it cuz I don't like it one bit, after buying it couple of times. I don't want to play Nintendo games (or just about any complext 3D games made for this thing) and look at their amazing art in bs and ancient screen resolution with downgraded visuals.

Now, I'm not a graphics whore, but I like the art, always liked it, especially when it comes to video games, but Switch ruins it with its pixelated, aliens and vaseline crap in ancient screen resolutions. Thankfully and again, you can fix the resolution problem, but you can in 99% of cases fix downgraded art and assets. Switch is not as terrible as 3DS (yet, but it's getting there when it comes to more complex 3D games) and if you ask me, I wouldn't be using it for anything but emulating 8/16/32bit 2D games cuz that's what it's best suited for, especially on a bit bigger OLED screen.

Ask yourselves, do you don't want to play Nintendo games looking like Ratchet on the PS5? Cuz that's what they should looke like and Nintendo can do it cuz they've amazing and god-like artists and art designers and I want their work to shine on a hardware where it can do that and not be compromised in any way, be it cuz of screen resolution, hardware limitations, you name it. I don't want to be negative, but Nintendo left me no choice at this point, but it won't make me don't like their games, cuz it's impossible.

6c2296fdc2775eadff4eaf1569f57d1bd2992184.gif

Tams

Gold Member
The problem with Wii U was that they didn't know how to promote the damn thing. That's why it failed.

Wii was so successful cuz if it's marketing for casuals like older people etc. It was marketed as an exercise machine with motion controls and less so as a hardcore gaming device.

They can make another and modern home console, they just won't cuz this outdated pos is so popular even 5 years later. We'll have PS7-8 a few decades from now and they'll still won't do anything about it. I get that they're doing their own thing, I just refuse to support it, accept it cuz I don't like it one bit, after buying it couple of times. I don't want to play Nintendo games (or just about any complext 3D games made for this thing) and look at their amazing art in bs and ancient screen resolution with downgraded visuals.

Now, I'm not a graphics whore, but I like the art, always liked it, especially when it comes to video games, but Switch ruins it with its pixelated, aliens and vaseline crap in ancient screen resolutions. Thankfully and again, you can fix the resolution problem, but you can in 99% of cases fix downgraded art and assets. Switch is not as terrible as 3DS (yet, but it's getting there when it comes to more complex 3D games) and if you ask me, I wouldn't be using it for anything but emulating 8/16/32bit 2D games cuz that's what it's best suited for, especially on a bit bigger OLED screen.

Ask yourselves, do you don't want to play Nintendo games looking like Ratchet on the PS5? Cuz that's what they should looke like and Nintendo can do it cuz they've amazing and god-like artists and art designers and I want their work to shine on a hardware where it can do that and not be compromised in any way, be it cuz of screen resolution, hardware limitations, you name it. I don't want to be negative, but Nintendo left me no choice at this point, but it won't make me don't like their games, cuz it's impossible.

6c2296fdc2775eadff4eaf1569f57d1bd2992184.gif
I mean, that you call the Switch a 'pos' says it all really. It wasn't worth reading beyond there.

There's not being a fan (which is perfectly fine), and then there's just being a grumpy bore for no good reason.

If you care that much about graphical performance, you are aware that PlayStation, Xbox, PC, and cloud game streaming all exist, right? You can even emulate and up the graphics on Nintendo games on PC.

I don't understand why Nintendo should risk their entire company on the whines and whims of people like you. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, they have little else to tide them over if a console fails, especially now, other than money which doesn't last forever.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If you care that much about graphical performance, you are aware that PlayStation, Xbox, PC, and cloud game streaming all exist, right?
Could not care less about cloud streaming and never will. And PS, Xbox and PC don't have Nintendo games so that's a pointless argument.
You can even emulate and up the graphics on Nintendo games on PC.
I can emulate and that's what I'm doing, but as I've said before, PC can't fix visual and technical compromises, only screen resolution / rendering scale.
There's not being a fan (which is perfectly fine), and then there's just being a grumpy bore for no good reason.
I'm calling it pos >cuz it is pos when it comes to hardware<, which was outdated in every way possible even at the time of release and now.... now it's just ridiculous 5 years later. I mean, connecting Switch to a modern 4K TV is pointless cuz of it's max and limited resolution output of just 1080p. There's nothing to argue about here, it's just a fact which is clear as day.
I don't understand why Nintendo should risk their entire company on the whines and whims of people like you.
That's a joke, right? With how much money they have, they can go through 10 failed systems and it won't hurt them one bit.

Anyway, I've made my point very clearly.

Peace.

Last edited:

night13x

ok we can do that.

How about a new switch oled with 10% brighter screen, 5% louder speakers, and a slightly bigger battery?

Are you ready?

april 1, 2023

$399.99

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I mean, that you call the Switch a 'pos' says it all really. It wasn't worth reading beyond there.

If you care that much about graphical performance, you are aware that PlayStation, Xbox, PC, and cloud game streaming all exist, right? You can even emulate and up the graphics on Nintendo games on PC.

I don't understand why Nintendo should risk their entire company on the whines and whims of people like you. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, they have little else to tide them over if a console fails, especially now, other than money which doesn't last forever.

Graphics have long since been a pointless thing to strive for and instead we should be going for art direction. There is a reason why games like Pentiment and Hi Fi RUSH are some of the most interesting games for the Xbox. The only people I see that tend to get into the minutae of graphical fidelity are warriors.

All that aside, Nintendo seriously does need to update their hardware. There is no art direction in the world that can make up for the lack of power that is holding back quality games and we are starting to see that over the last few years.

bender

What time is it?
I always use my switch connected to my 4k tv. Never had an issue with it.

Yep. I do hope for improved load times for the next console but I'd guess the next console is going to be pretty similar in terms of power to the Deck. DLSS will help the TV experience but it will still lag far behind the current dedicated home consoles not to mention PC gaming.

Knightime_X

Why do people always ignore actual reasons the consoles underperforming?

Post snes, n64 and gamecube missed out by a lot using much smaller media in terms of memory.

Games like GTA could have been on gcn if it wasn't for mini dvd and Nintendo's Full House wanna be family friendly stance.

Top Bottom