• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nikkei article claims that Nintendo has begun negotiations with suppliers regarding production of its next-generation console

Gambit2483

2023 is not happening if they're just beginning negotiations now. The earliest one might be able to expect would be March 2024 but realistically October/November 2024 is where I'd expect to see it.
Not likely yes but like I was saying, we don't know (if true) how accurate that reporting is. Seeing as it's January, "just beginning" could have meant a month or two ago. If that's the case then 2023 would still be on the table.

Aldric

If it doesn't release this year I'm emulating (still buying the games of course! I'm a responsible citizen), tired of playing on this shithouse tablet from a decade ago.

Gambit2483

If it doesn't release this year I'm emulating (still buying the games of course! I'm a responsible citizen), tired of playing on this shithouse tablet from a decade ago.
It amazes me that the people on this forum (most with 4k TVs) are still happy playing console games at sub 1080p resolutions...and content with doing so another year or 2.

My understanding is you need about 7-8 months of production lead up depending on how much units you want for initial launch...but I could be wrong.

Also this reporting (if true) could be based on negotiations held a month or two ago, being reported as "beginning". But if they are negotiating in 2022/2023 then 2023 is most likely the year they want to release.

Nintendo wants to sell 20 million more Switches in 2023, and that's not going to happen if they release their next console/hybrid this year. They sold 75,000 Switches last week, so if you times 52 weeks, that's only 3.9 million units. Nintendo will need to release a Switch Pro this year if they want to sell 20 million units. I don't think that's going to happen. Better to wait and release the next console in 2024.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

RVY0BP5.gif

I can't see Nintendo wasting Zelda.
You don't waste Zelda.

You been watching the same trailers I have? Looks exactly the same as the first game.

Unless by "waste" you mean, they won't waste a chance to fleece people for money, for the same game on two systems then I totally agree.

Neff

The problem I see without knowing anything is that battery tech hasn’t advanced much to accommodate more than 6-8 gigs of ram. Could probably get away with 8 gigs for most games but textures are still going to be a low point for any multi-plat ports.

You're right, a significantly more powerful handheld really isn't viable, even 7 years later. If they follow the same design as the Switch, it's likely that any big juice boost we get will be locked to the dock.

xrnzaaas

I know Nintendo is doing their own thing and that it's a part of their success, but man, it's taking so long to introduce a more powerful hardware that's not 2 generations behind. I often hear complaints from my friends about how poorly the games work, even less demanding titles like Two Point Hospital or Dead Cells. And some games can't be released at all in traditional form and instead they get the cloud version which isn't for everyone. Nintendo should've at least made the Pro model, I think it would sell much better than Sony's PS4 Pro.

Deerock71

makes sense, u want too replace the switch while its still hot so u don't create a wii-u situation.
Nintendo created the Wii U situation by it's fucked up name; couple years later, casuals STILL thought it was an add-on to the Wii, and backed off when informed it was a brand new system.

Gambit2483

You been watching the same trailers I have? Looks exactly the same as the first game.

Unless by "waste" you mean, they won't waste a chance to fleece people for money, for the same game on two systems then I totally agree.
Put it like this; where do you think Zelda's biggest hardware selling potential lies?

At the end of a 6 year old console with outdated hardware?

Or at the launch of brand new hardware? Where it can show off the new features and/or power potential of that new hardware?

Then there's the fact that Nintendo has been insanely secretive of TotK (more than any Zelda before it).

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I hope we get a new Switch by the end of next year. The enthusiasm in Nintendo threads always makes me laugh. I imagine some of you just throwing money at the screen when one of these new switch threads comes up.

ksdixon

Good I hope that at a new Nintendo switch and do handheld PCs kick Sony's ass into making a new PlayStation portable.

So probably announcement this year, with a launch next year? Sounds about right. It will be interesting to see if they add anything new hardware-wise, or if this will just be a straight Switch 2.

Kataploom

Gold Member
20 million units in 2023 for Switch is very hard to achieve unless official price cut and bundles are in the play for Nintendo's strategy in this year.
Zelda and Mario movie are coming this year, it's not impossible at all... And we don't know what else is coming that they haven't announced

Gambit2483

I hope we get a new Switch by the end of next year. The enthusiasm in Nintendo threads always makes me laugh. I imagine some of you just throwing money at the screen when one of these new switch threads comes up.
Im always perplexed by people being content in 2023 with 10 year old tech that can barely output 720p images on their 4k screen (@ barely 30fps) that can no longer natively run new gen games...yet expect it to competitively last on the market for 24 more months.

gothmog

Gold Member
Im always perplexed by people being content in 2023 with 10 year old tech that can barely output 720p images on their 4k screen (@ barely 30fps) that can no longer natively run new gen games...yet expect it to competitively last on the market for 24 more months.
Victim of its own success. It keeps topping sales charts so they keep holding off on updating it.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think they should release new hardware this year. Please have better build quality, reliable joysticks.

Better to ride the wave when it's high—and it's still high—then when it moves closer to the shore and disappear.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Awesome. Cant wait to see their next gen. Time to move forward Nintendo.
As long as they give me tradional gaming, Ill be there. No motion controls or fancy new way to play games.

tkscz

So i believe the latest rumors i saw are that the chip is based on Nvidia Orin. roughly 5TF performance. wonder how much nintendo adjusts this.

edit:
[/URL]
This rumor was "Technically" proven to be true when official specs were leaked when nvidia got hacked. And Nintendo has officially cancelled their plans for an upgraded Switch. So it was a thing at one point and those were the supposed specs though the 5TF was FP16, games tend to use FP32, which means it was more like 2.5TF.

That said, I believe I read that it was rumored an Nvidia rep was going to visit Nintendo. We don't know if they'll still just use Orin for their Switch Successor or go with Lovelace as the smaller die size means less power used.

sachos

I really hope it reaches at least PS4 level performance and it is BC and actually enhances performance like current gen consoles do, i think its a must at this point. Now, wishful thinking i would love if they released a more powerful "Pro" home console only version (together with the handheld version ofcourse), for those people that only use it in docked mode.

Gambit2483

It literally says late 2024... Also Skyward sword.
Now look at the difference between Skyward Sword as a Swan song and BOTW as a launch title.

One was quickly forgotten within a year while the other carried the system for the first two years (and beyond).

Zelda is best utilized as a launch title.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Now look at the difference between Skyward Sword as a Swan song and BOTW as a launch title.

One was quickly forgotten within a year while the other carried the system for the first two years (and beyond).

Zelda is best utilized as a launch title.
Also launched the Wii...

cireza

Nintendo created the Wii U situation by it's fucked up name; couple years later, casuals STILL thought it was an add-on to the Wii, and backed off when informed it was a brand new system.
Casuals were not ready to move on to something else anyway. They were fine with their Wii. Same thing will probably happen here.

Deerock71

Casuals were not ready to move on to something else anyway. They were fine with their Wii. Same thing will probably happen here.
There will be blood if it's not backwards compatible, that's for sure. If it isn't, I'll be happy to play my OLED Switch for another four or five years EASILY.

Twilight Princess sold fine.. but people are making a big jump to compare it to BoTW in sales numbers and how much it was connected to the success of the console. TP didnt continue to sell well for 6 years.

We expecting this to be better than the current steam deck?
We have no idea what it even looks like. We can assume it is a hybrid based on the Switch.. but we cant know for sure.. However, we do know it has an Nvidia GPU and we can assume Nvidia would like the New Nintendo console to sell 100 million units again.. so we can assume that Nvidia will be putting work in

Last edited:

Banned
come on Nintendo! push that thing out as fast as possible! I wanna play Zelda on a decent machine without emulation that brings shader stutters and glitches with it!

Banned
We expecting this to be better than the current steam deck?

depends on which Tegra chip they use. it will very likely at the very least be on par/slightly better than the deck when in docked mode.

the lower end chip to consider would put it just about on par in raw TFLOPS, but with Nvidia's RT cores and Tensor cores (DLSS), which would make it beat the Deck in many ways.

there's also a higher end chip that people traced somehow back to the Switch and that one would be way above the Deck in docked mode

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Match the base ps4/ps4pro and we can get a whole generation of crossgen games because "well, we made a switch 2 port, might as well get those ps4/xbone sales".

Last edited:

Banned
Match the base ps4/ps4pro and we can get a whole genetarion of crossgen games because "well, we made a switch 2 port, might as well get those ps4/xbone sales".

like the PSP and Wii keeping the PS2 on life support for a few years back in the day lol

Crayon

DO IT DO IT

If zelda is out first I probly won't upgrade tho. I'm glad I bought a switch but only because of zelda. :x

Gambit2483

They're not, TotK only releasing on Switch is not "wasting" it.

They might get 5% extra hardware sales from TotK on Switch whereas they could get 105% hardware sales from TotK on Switch 2 so yea...that seems like a waste of it's potential to push hardware to me.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I'm just looking forward to the glorious flood of leaks, rumors, and speculation that will start uo once they start manufacturing. The NVidia leak was way too long ago.

i love speculation season. The inevitable disappointment is a small price to pay for the insane fun.

Gambit2483

come on Nintendo! push that thing out as fast as possible! I wanna play Zelda on a decent machine without emulation that brings shader stutters and glitches with it!
Huh?? 6 years =/= "fast as possible".

Switch has been on the market much longer than most other consoles by far. I don't get this mindset that it's "too soon" for new hardware...its "past due" if anything.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Manufacturing negotiations are this close to release?

If the system releases in second half 2024 (lets say Q4 to give more time), the first batch of systems would have to be finished earlier so they ship around the world and then shipped to stores.

They havent even signed up a fabricator to make them yet? Is it normal to cut it this close? I dont know. Maybe hardware manufacturing takes a lot faster than I think to plan and test it all out before mass manufacturing.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Nvidia hasn't released a new Shield for 4 years.. They must have something this year? - maybe that's what Nintendo is after.

Top Bottom