• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann has being getting transphobic, homophobic, anti-Semitic messages

So everyone complaining because 3 assholes insulted Druckmann and some voice actor on tweeter ? Rofl

And everyone are categorized fascist, homophobic, transphobic, anti-semitic because of that ? Double Rofl. AW's still have a good day ahead of them.

joe_zazen

If you handwave off actual, no exaggeration or hyperbole, hate-speech because its used against someone you have a beef with.

what should be done about these sociopaths? Should we lock down the internet? Force people to have online real ids? Put them in jail?

Or should we recognise them for what they are (3-5% of general pop) and either ignore them or pass the information onto the authorities. we should not use the saddo sociopaths to paint the other 50% of the ‘normal’ population we disagree with as evil, on either side.

Last edited:
OMG. Did he just shared spoilers of his own game???

Not sure if sarcastic or not but if it's true it doesn't get much bigger of a spoiler than that. The game is just out! Is he that eager to stoke outrage he ruined his own fucking game? What a knob head.

Kinda don't feel like playing it now if that's true.

Last edited:

DanEON

Not sure if sarcastic or not but if it's true it doesn't get much bigger of a spoiler than that. The game is just out! Is he that eager to stoke outrage he ruined his own fucking game? What a knob head.

Kinda don't feel like playing it now if that's true.

I dont know if its true too, because I didnt play the game yet. I hope its not.
Seriously, getting spoiler from the game director was the least thing I would imagine. This fu#@ng guy doesnt give a sh!t about his customers, he only cares about his damn politics!!!

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
what should be done about these sociopaths? Should we lock down the internet? Force people to have online real ids? Put them in jail?

Or should we recognise them for what they are (3-5% of general pop) and either ignore them or pass the information onto the authorities. we should not use the saddo sociopaths to paint the other 50% of the ‘normal’ population we disagree with as evil, on either side.

You don't have to do anything.

Just be a decent human being and call it out as being the indefensibly shit behavior and thinking it is.

No equivocation, no victim blaming, No excuses.

Because if you do any of those things, you are validating them.

I've been far more disturbed by many of the responses in this thread than the content of those tweets, because its really driven home to me how invested some people are in the culture war that they are ok with the usage of rhetoric that you'd expect to find on Stormfront or some other neo-Fascist site when its aimed at a lefty like Druckmann.

Antifa or Anti-SJW, just because you oppose something that a lot of people find detestable does not give you impunity to be the biggest piece of shit you can be. You aren't the solution, you're just another problem.

Yeah exactly.
Seriously, getting spoiler from the game director was the least thing I would imagine.

I don't think the game is even out a week yet is it? Most people probably haven't finished it even those who have bought it. What a turd.

Abuse and threats are out of line but WTF. No need to post this detail.

Last edited:

Ellery

Are people really defending toxic comments on social media that are going way too far. Like WAY TOO far.
Not everything is propaganda or some hidden agenda to distract from something.

This shit is nasty. It is vile. It is the furthest from actual valid criticism it can be. But it is easy to dislike something someone does when you already have set your mind on hating it.
There is no reason to defend those toxic individuals. I feel sorry for them. I enjoyed the game. I loved it. Felt it. Learned from it. I grew from it. Others seem to continue the hate train. It seems so fitting in this polarizing world of "us vs them" mentality that people continue to hate everything. It doesn't matter what it is. It doesn't matter how optional something to your life it, but for some reason people have to go to social media and "voice their concerns" in the most pathetic and embarrasing way possible. Imagine mounting this kind of anger and hatred in your life only making your already miserable life more miserable.

Behavior like this also makes legitimate criticism get less attention and further increases the "us vs them" camps.

The irony of it all is so funny when in a way the game is exactly about that.

Moses85

These people are garbage. It is his fucking IP, he can do whatever he wants to do with it. If someone doesn’t like the game, I accept that but these things are bullshit.

Inxes

awww poor guy. i cant imagine having to endure having to read words that hurt my feelings. sticks and stones really arent the only things that hurt!

with that said, half of the population has been called nazis, racists, phobes of all kinds, deplorables, and all sorts of nonsense from the “other side” that Neil resides on. He even used his game to make a statement against those people so i have no sympathy.

A streamer fucking commited suicided basically motivated by people telling him to die for making a mistake.

Stop with the bullshit that these messages are just stupidity and that you shouldnt read much into it, because that might be your case, but its not the norm

Inxes

These people are garbage. It is his fucking IP, he can do whatever he wants to do with it. If someone doesn’t like the game, I accept that but these things are bullshit.

According to this forum, making your game with the ideals you want its basically insulting and defamation on social media. He should have expected death threats because Ellie is a lesbian or, as they say, just for making a bad story for a videogame (yeah lol right, like thats a real reason to hate a person). He was practically asking for it man.

A streamer fucking commited suicided basically motivated by people telling him to die for making a mistake.
That's not what happened at all. Educate yourself before you go off spouting nonsense, please.

According to this forum, making your game with the ideals you want its basically insulting and defamation on social media. He should have expected death threats because Ellie is a lesbian or, as they say, just for making a bad story for a videogame (yeah lol right, like thats a real reason to hate a person). He was practically asking for it man.
Ah, the strawman argument. Classic.

ND has a tract record of major social media virtue signalling and he knew what he was doing with this game. Doesn't make the abuse right, but he knew it was incoming 100% and now he gets to stand on his pedestal like he planned. Almost like he took relish in that spoiler (both broadcasting it and realising it in the game). I'm sorry but this is all deliberate, he even said as much right?

joe_zazen

You don't have to do anything.

Just be a decent human being and call it out as being the indefensibly shit behavior and thinking it is.

No equivocation, no victim blaming, No excuses.

Because if you do any of those things, you are validating them.

I've been far more disturbed by many of the responses in this thread than the content of those tweets, because its really driven home to me how invested some people are in the culture war that they are ok with the usage of rhetoric that you'd expect to find on Stormfront or some other neo-Fascist site when its aimed at a lefty like Druckmann.

Antifa or Anti-SJW, just because you oppose something that a lot of people find detestable does not give you impunity to be the biggest piece of shit you can be. You aren't the solution, you're just another problem.

i try again:

1)Do you think this is an ideological thing? and that if we can just eliminate certain ideas and attain ideological homogeneity, this kind of antisocial behaviour will stop?

2)are you this outraged when it happens to people like JK Rowling and Jordan Petersen?

I see the impetus for death threats to Rowling, Petersen, Druckman, and the actor as coming from the same well of humanity, and so I react to them the same way.

lock2k

Banned
I don't agree with the kind of comments he gets but, what did he expect?

He is like that bully kid in school who teases everyone, brags about it, and then goes crying to his mama that he is being harassed.

JeloSWE

Literary nothing in the game warrants such vile comment. Hate speech and death threats. What, please tell me what in the game could warrant people acting like this. Even if the game didn't contain what you wanted and feel tricked out of you money it's not even close to this level of shit people are spewing.

Literary nothing in the game warrants such vile comment. Hate speech and death threats. What, please tell me what in the game could warrant people acting like this. Even if the game didn't contain what you wanted and feel tricked out of you money it's not even close to this level of shit people are spewing.
They're TROLLS. They're shitheads that say edgy things to get a rise out of people.
Up until ~2015, most people had the good sense to ignore them AS YOU SHOULD. But since 2020 is peak virtue signaling, people want to broadcast such "hate" to the world so that they can receive condolences and support. It's pathetic.

JeloSWE

I don't agree with the kind of comments he gets but, what did he expect?

He is like that bully kid in school who teases everyone, brags about it, and then goes crying to his mama that he is being harassed.
Could you expand on how he is like a bully kid?

joe_zazen

the cause is neglect and/or abuse during early development; and those people looking to videogames to give meaning to their lives because they are unable to form deep,human bonds.

JeloSWE

They're TROLLS. They're shitheads that say edgy things to get a rise out of people.
Up until ~2015, most people had the good sense to ignore them AS YOU SHOULD. But since 2020 is peak virtue signaling, people want to broadcast such "hate" to the world so that they can receive condolences and support. It's pathetic.
Are you saying that Neil and Laura posting screen shots of those wile tweets are fishing for empathy?

joe_zazen

Are you saying that Neil and Laura posting screen shots of those wile tweets are fishing for empathy?

why do people post 99% of the shit they do? Status seeking is my guess. Getting death threats will,give,them status amongst their peers.

Not sure about the girl, but Neil... not sure if empathy is the right word, but attention for sure.

Anyone in the public eye with a Twitter or similar is getting daily abuse in their inbox. I don't think it needs "signal boosted" to use a SJW term. No one is surprised by it and no one in their right mind thinks it is justified. But this guy bated it now we need to hear about it all (even at the cost of ruining the end to his game).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
2)are you this outraged when it happens to people like JK Rowling and Jordan Petersen?

I'm not sure I want to associate with a community that apparently believes that its all just lulz calling somebody a "kike rat". Oh yeah, because he had it coming for making a bad game, and is on the other side in the culture war.

Personally, I have issues being around people that venal and stupid. I'm better than that.

EDIT: fixed for clarity

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
Could you expand on how he is like a bully kid?

HIs whole "I'm holier-than-thou I'll teach you a lesson" kind of attitude is in every single one of his interviews. Not hard to find it. This kind of attitude is a huge turn off.

I mean, quotes like "people who will "benefit most from this story are the ones yelling the loudest"

Benefit? Like... how? He doesn't see his product as a product. He sees it as a cultural milestone, as something that will change the cultural landscape, and that is pretentious as fuck.

Again, I don't agree with harassing him (or anyone) and I would never do such a thing. But he surely loves to provoke and then backs off.

JeloSWE

why do people post 99% of the shit they do? Status seeking is my guess. Getting death threats will,give,them status amongst their peers.
What other purpose does it serve? That's Twitter in a nutshell, really.
Not sure about the girl, but Neil... not sure if empathy is the right word, but attention for sure.

Anyone in the public eye with a Twitter or similar is getting daily abuse in their inbox. I don't think it needs "signal boosted" to use a SJW term. No one is surprised by it and no one in their right mind thinks it is justified. But this guy bated it now we need to hear about it all (even at the cost of ruining the end to his game).

You guys are probably right, but I think if I were in that situation I'd be so pissed off after a while I might just post it to share my frustrations and put a spotlight on such bad behavior and raising awareness against such speech, how ever futil that may be.

JeloSWE

HIs whole "I'm holier-than-thou I'll teach you a lesson" kind of attitude is in every single one of his interviews. Not hard to find it. This kind of attitude is a huge turn off.

I mean, quotes like "people who will "benefit most from this story are the ones yelling the loudest"

Benefit? Like... how? He doesn't see his product as a product. He sees it as a cultural milestone, as something that will change the cultural landscape, and that is pretentious as fuck.

Again, I don't agree with harassing him (or anyone) and I would never do such a thing. But he surely loves to provoke and then backs off.
Tnx for explaining your view. I've seen two interviews with him and I didn't find him "holier-than-thou", he seemed humble and well spoken and didn't take up much space unless asked to. I did like all parts of the game so I'm definitely biased. And I for one like games that are in the moral gray zone and explores the villain's side of things, I thought it was an interesting take I haven't experienced in any gamy before and was genuinely thinking this is a fresh breath of story telling in AAA game.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is the best:

Ea8DM7mVcAw7yUT

cormack12

Gold Member
You guys are probably right, but I think if I were in that situation I'd be so pissed off after a while I might just post it to share my frustrations and put a spotlight on such bad behavior and raising awareness against such speech, how ever futil that may be.

It takes so much more effort to curate all that shit and share it. Time, he apparently has - but not the same time to speak to his actual fans that feel let down? And of course removing all the names serves what purpose? Keeps the attention on him as the victim. I mean, if you wanted to show how much of an asshole these people were, would you care about anonymsing them? Apparently so.

What does he mean by this tweet?

It's from this short

I'm guessing he's just playing off the riff above from the other writer and saying he can keep eating it until it's all gone and he's satiated. On the one hand, you can't have an attitude like that, then share stuff because it bothers you......completely undermines the point you're making.

JeloSWE

It takes so much more effort to curate all that shit and share it. Time, he apparently has - but not the same time to speak to his actual fans that feel let down?
That isn't hard to do, it could be done in 10 min tops. I get it, a lot of people are disappointed and upset but I've listened to a few interview about the game with him explaining in great detail his reasoning for most of those things. It's there for everyone to see if they search for it. I think he said he would make the same game again if he could so I'm thinking he's pretty happy with the final product, why would he then feel the need to repeatedly engage and explain to disappointed fans his decisions.

And of course removing all the names serves what purpose? Keeps the attention on him as the victim. I mean, if you wanted to show how much of an asshole these people were, would you care about anonymsing them? Apparently so.
Anonymizing them is probably the right thing to do, other wise he would risk instigate his followers to attack those posters. I think he acts like a mature and decent person in blacking the names out. He would only leave the names in if the wanted revenge.

cormack12

Gold Member
That isn't hard to do, it could be done in 10 min tops. I get it, a lot of people are disappointed and upset but I've listened to a few interview about the game with him explaining in great detail his reasoning for most of those things. It's there for everyone to see if they search for it. I think he said he would make the same game again if he could so I'm thinking he's pretty happy with the final product, why would he then feel the need to repeatedly engage and explain to disappointed fans his decisions.

Asking him to enlighten us as to the morals of his story is not the one way conversation the community wants with him. If he doesn't give a shit about the fans or their genuine issues with plot and story then act like this. The message is clear. Makes no difference to me.

Anonymizing them is probably the right thing to do, other wise he would risk instigate his followers to attack those posters. I think he acts like a mature and decent person in blacking the names out. He would only leave the names in if the wanted revenge.

So, all the people who follow Neil are just hateful pieces of shit as well that will attack people on twitter? They not better than that? So then those people could share those hate tweets as well? It's just a lot of twitter drama and trolling.

Whitecrow

Banned
Perfectly reasonable and professional response.
Dont buy that lie.

If that were remotely true, they woudlnt had massively strike youtube accounts and twits just for talking about the game or sharing memes without any spoilers on them, and even acknowledge some of the fair criticism they get.

But no, they just go the 'fans are *phobic, *ists' for not liking our game route.

That twit is BS.

JeloSWE

Asking him to enlighten us as to the morals of his story is not the one way conversation the community wants with him. If he doesn't give a shit about the fans or their genuine issues with plot and story then act like this. The message is clear. Makes no difference to me.
I think he is quite well informed of what people think well and bad of the game. How much he as a creator wan't to engage with his audience is really up to him, he doesn't owe them that at the end of the day, for good and for bad. If he indeed decides to interact with the fans it's a bonus but it's not an obligation.

So, all the people who follow Neil are just hateful pieces of shit as well that will attack people on twitter? They not better than that? So then those people could share those hate tweets as well? It's just a lot of twitter drama and trolling.
Well now, you can't assume all his followers would do what, me included. Blacking out the names IS the right thing to do regardless.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I think he is quite well informed of what people think well and bad of the game. How much he as a creator wan't to engage with his audience is really up to him, he doesn't owe them that at the end of the day, for good and for bad. If he indeed decides to interact with the fans it's a bonus but it's not an obligation.

He doesn't. But the cost is the disdain and dishonesty he leaves the legacy of the IP.

Well now, you can't assume all his followers would do what, me included. Blacking out the names IS the right thing to do regardless.

If he wants to keep the focus on himself, absolutely.

JeloSWE

He doesn't. But the cost is the disdain and dishonesty he leaves the legacy of the IP.
Could be, it's going to be revealed when the next title is released, only then will we know how much good will was lost or won.

If he wants to keep the focus on himself, absolutely.
Again, you can't be completely sure of that, blacking out the names is the right thing to do regardless of his intentions. In fact, it would be far worse to leave them in. If the had, then we could really talk about him acting inappropriate.

Last edited:

sevoro

Again, you can't be completely sure of that, blacking out the names is the right thing to do regardless of his intentions. In fact, it would be far worse to leave them in. If the had, then we could really talk about him acting inappropriate.
It's almost like blacking out names would prevent his loyalist fans from lynching said names on twitter.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Guy destroys a franchise and then cries when people are ass mad.

I wonder how many of those are from ND employees he told to send him hate tweets so he could play the victim?

Top Bottom