• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Trailer Park Boys, which I would consider a good comparison as far as popularity and fanbase, has had 4 new seasons since coming to Netflix. Netflix brought back Mr. Show, and there is talk of another season for them as well.

Seriously, this is the perfect spot for MST3K. This deal could ensure we get a lot more than just the 14 episodes.

Gotta admit the truth: now that it is on Netflix, I kind of regret dropping $100 on the Kickstarter. Not as much as I regret other things in my life, but I subscribe to Netflix and probably always will. So I don't really need the digital copies.

Oh well. Still glad this will reach a super wide audience.

Gotta admit the truth: now that it is on Netflix, I kind of regret dropping $100 on the Kickstarter. Not as much as I regret other things in my life, but I subscribe to Netflix and probably always will. So I don't really need the digital copies.

There is always a chance that an episode can be pulled due to rights and what not. It happened with Soultaker not too long ago.

SeanC

So is there no chance at all that we can get Godzilla or Gamera episodes or is Toho/whoever hanging on to those rights too hard?

I don't think it would be impossible if they wanted, but Joel wouldn't go back to doing those movies plus he's looking at different decades this time around. I get the impression we're going to get a lot of 80s cheese.

That's totally fine and fair. My greatest childhood memories of the show came from cheesy kaiju movies though so I'm hoping they slip at least one in there.

SeanC

That's totally fine and fair. My greatest childhood memories of the show came from cheesy kaiju movies though so I'm hoping they slip at least one in there.

I bet there'll be some if monster movies in there. And there's Still 80s and 90s Gamera and Godzilla flicks do you never know.

If they were going to, the early 90s Godzilla would be the way to go. Those would be the closest to the old 60s or 70s style.

zigg

I'm super happy to have my DRM-free MST3Ks. Streaming is TV and transient; these are for my archives. I've invested far more $ than my Kickstarter contribution in time and money getting a hold of old MST3K episodes over the years, and I'm still missing a number of my favorites.

So is there no chance at all that we can get Godzilla or Gamera episodes or is Toho/whoever hanging on to those rights too hard?
Joel said this weekend Toho isn't interested at all.

mclem

A random thought springs to mind about 80's cheese, but also tying in with modern blockbusters: What's the rights situation for the 1990 Captain America? I could see that being a good fit, and has the advantage of being directly related to today.

opoth

Banned

I'm still happy I dropped $200. I will enjoy my Blu-Rays and my accompanying digital backups for years to come.

I hope Netflix goes against their typical approach and gives people what they need and not what they want - meaning, don't give us all 14 episodes at once, one a week will be plenty, plenty of time to savor each episode and to know that everyone is watching the same thing at the same pace. Drop the sets on us after a few months of exclusivity, I will enjoy it and cherish it as a reminder of what we accomplished.

SeanC

Yeah, I have a feeling that backers will get all the episodes at once and Netflix will be one new one a week. That's a model they've been moving towards on some of their other content and MST3k would be a great fit for it considering each episode is going to be two hours long probably.

I am now happy I went with the Mystery Gift. Between the digital versions and now streaming with ease I'll have all I want there.

BTW, saw Joel and the gang at SDCC this past weeked. Joel was looking fly in his white suit and hat. Took some pics with the Crow and Servo puppets also, though I think they were old ones because they looked a little worse for wear. Was going to get everyones autographs but meeting a few of them briefly was more than enough and I really didn't want to stand in line for an hour.

zigg

I hope Netflix goes against their typical approach and gives people what they need and not what they want - meaning, don't give us all 14 episodes at once, one a week will be plenty, plenty of time to savor each episode and to know that everyone is watching the same thing at the same pace. Drop the sets on us after a few months of exclusivity, I will enjoy it and cherish it as a reminder of what we accomplished.
I thought I read that Joel said something this past weekend implying there'd be an all-at-once release, but I can't find it now. I guess it'd be like a Turkey Day where you hadn't seen a single episode yet…

I thought I read that Joel said something this past weekend implying there'd be an all-at-once release, but I can't find it now. I guess it'd be like a Turkey Day where you hadn't seen a single episode yet…

If so, what are the chances that they'll produce day long host sketches like they did on their Turkey Day specials? The segments from 1991 and 1995 were quite memorable, and would be the ideal vehicle to incorperate the old cast members.

I remember there being some incentive for the KS that you'd be able to watch a live stream of each ep a week early as they released. Am I remembering that wrong or is that just out the window now that the Netflix deal is place?

opoth

Banned
I remember there being some incentive for the KS that you'd be able to watch a live stream of each ep a week early as they released. Am I remembering that wrong or is that just out the window now that the Netflix deal is place?

I think the livestream may have just been for the world premiere of the first episode. I think there's still a lot of things up in the air.

Will Netflix release all episodes at once, or will they drop one episode per week? I was always under the impression that all streaming services released full seasons on a scheduled date.

mclem

I wonder if there will be a 'right' order to watch them? I'm sure there will be an explicit 'first' episode to set out the premise and hash out how we got to where we are now, but also later series had a bit of an ongoing storyline that wouldn't be as effective if you were to pick out episodes at random - but then, contrarily, that wasn't really as much of a Joel-era thing.

I think what I'd do, personally, is make an intro episode that's much shorter than most that's mostly not riffing (perhaps with a short in there?) to set the scene, then from that point on make each episode a pretty standalone full-length affair.

(I wonder if there will be cross-series running gags, too? There were a number of callbacks to old riffs in the original run. That might be another reason to have an explicit 'order' of things)

Update time! Important details below:

-You'll be able to watch Mystery Science Theater on Netflix in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Ireland.
-Still looking at more international options.
-If your Kickstarter rewards include the new episodes, you will get them at the same time as everyone else, no matter where you live.

-Mary Jo Pehl will guest star as Pearl Forrester.
-Kevin Murphy will guest star as Professor Bobo.
-Bill Corbett will guest star as Brain Guy.[/B]

-Mary Jo and Bill have also joined the writing team for some of the new episodes

-In the process of working with other original cast members to see if we can get more of them to come back
-If it doesn't happen this season, then hopefully it will happen in Season 12...[/B][/QUOTE]

Sanjuro

I don't need a ton of cameos. If they handle it like Joel's appearance should be good. The segments are supposed to be dumb anyway. Getting Mike or whoever on board probably will happen when convenient.

gabbo

Update time! Important details below:

-You'll be able to watch Mystery Science Theater on Netflix in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Ireland.
-Still looking at more international options.
-If your Kickstarter rewards include the new episodes, you will get them at the same time as everyone else, no matter where you live.

-Mary Jo Pehl will guest star as Pearl Forrester.
-Kevin Murphy will guest star as Professor Bobo.
-Bill Corbett will guest star as Brain Guy.[/B]

-Mary Jo and Bill have also joined the writing team for some of the new episodes

-In the process of working with other original cast members to see if we can get more of them to come back
-If it doesn't happen this season, then hopefully it will happen in Season 12...[/B]
So does this mean the show's new episodes won't all have the same running time because Netflix doesn't have a "schedule" in the same way broadcast TV does? That's the one question the latest update didn't fulfill for me.

mclem

This is huge, because we’ve actually never been available outside of North America before.

Hey, it was on (late at night) on the Sci-Fi Channel in the UK around the late nineties (the Pearl seasons)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Joel is also probably only speaking from his own time on the show.

Though I think some german dubs were made of the show, but I don't know which era it was.

So does this mean the show's new episodes won't all have the same running time because Netflix doesn't have a "schedule" in the same way broadcast TV does? That's the one question the latest update didn't fulfill for me.

Netflix shows runtimes often vary, are not precise, so assume they will run whatever they want them too and not have to edit movies for run time like the old show did.

zigg

My reward tier has episodes, but people who aren't in Netflix territories who didn't get to that tier are getting a shitty deal.

I wonder if they'll even be able to buy DRM-free versions of the episodes after-the-fact.

gabbo

My reward tier has episodes, but people who aren't in Netflix territories who didn't get to that tier are getting a shitty deal.

I wonder if they'll even be able to buy DRM-free versions of the episodes after-the-fact.

Joel from update said:
Also, some of you are wondering what this means for your Kickstarter rewards, like the live-stream, the digital downloads of the new season, and the DVDs. But don't worry, my friends: We're going to do right by you. We made sure that Netflix knew about all of our Kickstarter promises, and made sure we'd still be able to honor them. So, even though the new season will be available on Netflix, it won't change when you get your rewards.
Seems like that's been kept in mind

zigg

Seems like that's been kept in mind
I'm talking specifically about people who backed but

- pledged less than $85, so they didn't get access to episodes 2-14, or

- pledged less than $25, so they didn't even get access to the live-stream premiere.

I guess you could make the argument that they didn't contribute enough to see the thing, but it's still kinda shitty to put money toward a show you won't be able to watch, y'know?

I'm talking specifically about people who backed but

- pledged less than $85, so they didn't get access to episodes 2-14, or

- pledged less than $25, so they didn't even get access to the live-stream premiere.

I guess you could make the argument that they didn't contribute enough to see the thing, but it's still kinda shitty to put money toward a show you won't be able to watch, y'know?

I'm not sure what you expected the show to be on. Some people only have Netflix and no cable, if this was on Comedy Central or SyFy they'd be screwed. You basically need a subscription to something to watch most TV. Were you expecting them on youtube or something?

So happy it on netflix. Can't wait. It'll be a special evening when I can't sit down with some popcorn and watch the first new MST3K in 20 years (rough estimate..?)

mclem

So happy it on netflix. Can't wait. It'll be a special evening when I can't sit down with some popcorn and watch the first new MST3K in 20 years (rough estimate..?)

This Monday will be 17 years since Diabolik, so around 17.5 years, I guess?

Edit: Oh, apparently Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders aired after Diabolik, even though Diabolik's the last episode in 'storyline' terms. That anniversary comes up on September 18th.

zigg

I'm not sure what you expected the show to be on. Some people only have Netflix and no cable, if this was on Comedy Central or SyFy they'd be screwed. You basically need a subscription to something to watch most TV. Were you expecting them on youtube or something?
It's not about what network was selected, but the fact that it will only be available in a handful of regions.

It's not about what network was selected, but the fact that it will only be available in a handful of regions.

Again though, that was going to be the case with essentially any service. What were you looking for, a youtube channel? Even they have territory restrictions on videos. A privately run free site to stream them? That would not build the audience going forwards in a meaningful way. There was always the risk at the lower tiers that it would end up on channel or service that you didn't get, that's why they had the higher tiers with the downloadable episodes. I really don't know what you expected from a kickstarter trying to bring back a TV show.

The show has a projected release date of 2017, meaning that it won't be out for another year. I'm hoping they have something special cooked up for Thanksgiving. Perhaps some host segments featuring the new and old cast. Also, will Patton Oswalt's work on MST3K undermine his commitment to Bojack Horseman?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The show has a projected release date of 2017, meaning that it won't be out for another year. I'm hoping they have something special cooked up for Thanksgiving. Perhaps some host segments featuring the new and old cast. Also, will Patton Oswalt's work on MST3K undermine his commitment to Bojack Horseman?

MST3K and Bojack are far from the only things Patton is working on right now. The Goldbergs, Archer, Veep, and several others. It'll be fine.

That's great to hear. I'm really digging Bojack right now and love his Pinky the Penguin character. I wonder if he's based on anyone real in Hollywood. And was the real Penguin Publishing ever that ramshackle of a business in real life? Pinky and his operation always seemed on the verge of going belly up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom