• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Firefight Announced - December 5th

Draugoth

Gold Member

FFKOTHNormal.jpg

The December Mid-Season Update for Halo Infinitearrives on December 5, just a few short days from now, and we’ve got the details of everything you need to know right here.
Firefight: King of the Hill, the new Repair Field equipment, Forge updates, Ranked and Custom Game Browser improvements, and much more are prepared to drop—let's get you briefed!

The December Mid-Season Update for Halo Infinitearrives on December 5, just a few short days from now, and we’ve got the details of everything you need to know right here.

Firefight: King of the Hill, the new Repair Field equipment, Forge updates, Ranked and Custom Game Browser improvements, and much more are prepared to drop—let's get you briefed!

FIREFIGHT: KING OF THE HILL

Halo Infinite screenshot of a Brute Chieftain and Brute Warrior in a hill on the House of Reckoning

Bip. Bap. Bam! Firefight is coming to Halo Infinite next week.
Over the years, Firefight has taken many forms across various Halo games. From its traditional survival mode in Halo 3: ODST to its more arcade-inspired incarnation in Halo: Reach, to Warzone Firefight in Halo 5, along with Blitz Firefight and Terminus Firefight in Halo Wars 2—it's a mode that has evolved across games, and the time has come for it to arrive in Halo Infinite.
Firefight: King of the Hill will see you and three other players facing off against waves of Banished baddies as you fight to capture hills on nine maps when the playlist goes live—including the House of Reckoning from Halo Infinite’s campaign and three community-made maps.
We’ll have a full, detailed blog on Firefight: King of the Hill going live on December 4, ahead of its in-game debut the following day.
We can’t wait for you to get your hands on it!

REPAIR FIELD

Halo Infinite image of the new Repair Field equipment attached to a Warthog on the map Breaker

Need to conduct some repairs while out in the field? We've got the perfect Equipment item for you...
Introducing our latest sandbox addition to Halo Infinite, the Repair Field!
Similar to the Regenerator from Halo 3, the Repair Field is a neutral piece of Equipment that heals allies and enemies within its radius. It's also capable of repairing vehicles, and it can be attached to them (as well as most environmental surfaces). Additionally, the Repair Field can also revive downed Spartans in select modes such as Firefight: King of the Hill, Attrition, etc.
Are you the kind of player that prefers to provide support for the team? The Repair Field is a great complement to that particular playstyle and, used strategically, just might help give your team an edge in a firefight or vehicular showdown.

RANKED IMPROVEMENTS

A multiplayer Spartan plays Extraction in Halo Infinite.

The Ranked experience is getting some improvements in this December Update, starting off with updates to Ranked Extraction and CSR.
  • RANKED EXTRACTION
At the moment, you can hear that your Extraction point is being converted by the enemy team from anywhere on the map. This meant players were able to leave the area around the Extraction device and use the global audio queue to tell them when to peek back out. With this upcoming audio change, the device itself will emit the audio, meaning you'll have to be in close vicinity to hear it's being converted. As a result, teams will need to pay closer attention to the Extraction device.
Right now, you can see in your UI when the Extraction point is being converted. Similar to above, this allowed players to leave the area near the Extraction device and only peek out when the UI showed it was being converted. With our upcoming change, this will go away almost entirely. The UI will no longer indicate to you when the Extraction point is actively being converted, and it will also no longer indicate to you how much time is remaining. It's going to play a bit old school and hardcore, as players and coaches will need to time the Extractions like timing weapons and powerups in previous Halo titles.
  • CSR IMPROVEMENTS
There are some further improvements also coming to rank loss protection and teammate quitting. Once you rank up a tier, you will get three games, win or lose, before a loss will rank you down to the previous tier. Additionally, if a player in the match (who is not on your fireteam) quits, you will not lose CSR if you decide to quit as well. You can read more about these updates in our most recent Ranked Update blog!

FORGE UPDATES

When Season 5 launched back in October, the Forge AI Toolkit quite literally changed the game for community creators, allowing players for the first time ever to place campaign enemies into multiplayer maps to build PvE experiences.
In the December Update, we have some more improvements to share with you that will enhance this feature even further...
Halo Infinite screenshot of the Unggoy High Value Target known as Bipbap running in a hill capture zone on the House of Reckoning map

• HIGH VALUE TARGETS & BOSSES
In Halo Infinite’s campaign, there are various boss enemies that can be encountered on Zeta Halo, such as the High Value Targets that can be hunted down, each one rewarding the Master Chief with a powerful special weapon variant.
All fifteen of these HVTs will be added to Forge with the December Update—from the almighty Bipbap the Vanquisher to the very hungry Ik’novus the Devourer, and beyond.
Major bosses are also included in this line-up as well, such as Jega ‘Rdomnai, Escharum, and the Harbinger. The potential for what the creative cartographers in the community are going to make truly is endless (heh!)
  • SKULLS IN NODE GRAPH
With Firefight: KOTH on the way, enabling Skulls to modify difficulty is a notable part of the experience. With this update, Forgers will be able to use Node Graph to enable or disable any of the twelve Skulls, from Bandana to Black Eye.
Notably, Skulls are not just limited to the Firefight game variants. These difficulty modifiers will work in any game mode, allowing creators to use them to spice up ordinary multiplayer matches or extend their Season 5 PVE experiences.
  • QUALITY-OF-LIFE UPDATES
The Global Material Allow list gives the player the ability to access all swatches contained in swatch groups added to the global allow list in all regions. This functionally gives the player access to a much larger pool of swatches for each region, and allows regions previously disallowed from using tiling swatches to access them.
Because hugs make everything better, we have also added the Trigger Grunt Hug node to Forge's Node Graph. This will allow creators to make any Grunts in a squad pull out two plasma grenades and run toward the nearest enemy until the grenades explode. We sincerely hope this addition will make your Custom Browser experiences with Grunts more loving and friendly.
Scalable Blockers allow the player to place a single blocker object and scale it to the size they'd like it to be. This will help you save on object count and help clean up maps.
Auto Turret Allegiance has been updated, meaning the Auto Turret will now respect the Team setting it receives in Forge. When placed on a team, the Auto Turret will treat units (players & AI) as allies and will not target them. If placed on Neutral team, the turret will remain hostile to all units.

CUSTOM GAME BROWSER

Halo Infinite screenshot of three Spartans in a Warthog

When Season 5 launched, we introduced Custom Game XP and the addition of the Forge AI Toolkit opened up the floodgates for countless hours to be spent jumping from custom game to custom game—whether you're looking for some of that classic Infection fun you’ve been enjoying since Halo 3, or the vast range of exciting new experiences that folks have been creating.
The team has been working on a variety of improvements to the Custom Game Browser which should make for a smoother ride for you and your fireteam.
  • JOIN SESSION AS FIRETEAM
As long as there are enough slots available, the Fireteam Leader can bring their entire party into a CGB session. Upon joining the session, all members of your Fireteam will join together and merge into the Custom Game leader's Fireteam.
While working on this, the team also made sure that it was enabled for lobbies. If you are playing with a friend and want to join another friend’s lobby, you can choose “Join with Fireteam” to bring your entire Fireteam into their matchmaking/custom game lobby.
  • IMPROVEMENTS
Several improvements have been implemented to the Custom Game Browser, resolving issues that block players from joining CGB sessions that were open when a backend change occurred; issues around unclear messaging when attempting to join a full session; and instances where attempting to join a session that was no longer active would not deliver any failure messages.

STABILITY & NETWORKING

Halo Infinite screenshot of three Spartans in a Firefight: KOTH match on Exiled

Along with all the additions and quality-of-life updates above, this update is also focused on increasing the game’s stability by addressing crashes and improving our online experience via updates to our networking.
Season 5 added more reporting information in the game, which helps us better detect when and why crashes happen. Using this data, the team has knocked out multiple crashes across PC and consoles, including the top crash on Xbox Series X|S devices.
As for improvements to networking, we’ve been working on a more comprehensive overhaul of the system. The first glimpse of this updated networking model will land on December 5 with the December Update. You’ll be able to jump into the Firefight: King of the Hill playlist and try out the new networking model in a safe environment. Enabling it in a PvE experience gives us a safe testbed to see how it behaves at scale before enabling it in a PvP mode, where the stakes would feel much higher for each player. Please be sure to dive in, blast the Banished, and let us know how it feels in Firefight: King of the Hill. If the results are promising, we’ll look to host a PvP experience in the Combat Workshop in the future.
While there should only be improvements in these areas, please be sure to report any crashes or networking related issues to us by using the Halo Support site.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
honestly I think its at the point where the game would have been ready for release (as long as the shitty store stuff was removed and put into earning it via ranks and challenges)

sadly it launched years ago and therefore can never regain its first time impression while still being lumbered by the store in its original format that everyone hates.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
WHO THE FUCK CARES?

It has the best gameplay of any MP FPS by FAR. GAMEPLAY. But now people are dragging it for the fucking STORE interface?

EeDJN1c.gif

More people play battlefield V, I and 2142 on PC individually despite none of those being F2P, maybe its different on console or something where the game aims for you, I assume that's why people like Halo these days, the excessive aim assist.

as for who cares about the store? the people developing the game, that's why you don't have single player content because they cant sell you "just cosmetic" items for single player. So its quite important really.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Was that the trailer/update they teased? I really wanted some single player content.....meh
Same, although I knew it was a long-shot. They don’t seem to care about the single player portion at all anymore.

Last edited:

FireFly

honestly I think its at the point where the game would have been ready for release (as long as the shitty store stuff was removed and put into earning it via ranks and challenges)

sadly it launched years ago and therefore can never regain its first time impression while still being lumbered by the store in its original format that everyone hates.
They have two free mini-battle passes per season now. Moving everything from the store would probably require moving away from F2P.

Will they bother fixing the customisation menus not loading on the pc version?
It's been two years, I don't think they are capable of it at this point.
Fucking morons.

ByWatterson

So is Halo dead or not? Where are we now?

LOL, not even close. The population has significantly rebounded (about 70% bump overall, and sustained), games are easy to find, and content creators like MintBlitz are still making lots of videos.

It's not the zeitgeist, I guess? But who cares. It's in a great state, lots of players, great seasons, great updates.

People love being smug and then missing out. It's weird!

Ozriel

M$FT
LOL, not even close. The population has significantly rebounded (about 70% bump overall, and sustained), games are easy to find, and content creators like MintBlitz are still making lots of videos.

It's not the zeitgeist, I guess? But who cares. It's in a great state, lots of players, great seasons, great updates.

People love being smug and then missing out. It's weird!

The contrast between the response on r/halo and here is quite jarring.
People who actively play the title - and are some of its fiercest critics - are pumped. FireFight’s been one of the most requested additions

Same, although I knew it was a long-shot. They don’t seem to care about the single player portion at all anymore.

Sure, campaign DLC would have been great, but their focus has to be on the MP mode where the players that fund the game are.

if they’re switching engine as rumored, it probably would make sense to pivot all SP expansions to Unreal Engine.

twilo99

if they’re switching engine as rumored, it probably would make sense to pivot all SP expansions to Unreal Engine.

It would be a huge downgrade performance wise. Whatever they have the game running now does a great job.

And why UE5… I would go for an id tech engine instead if they have to switch engines

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Halo multiplayer was never my thing, but I’m happy for those that enjoy it.

Battlebits has a free weekend on Steam so I’m going to play that instead.

If this games wasn't called Halo, how many people would still be playing it?
Considering the fact that Splitgate was closed down and killed off, and that community had to end up somewhere, I’d say a decent chunk of people regardless of title name.

Splitgate fans are disgruntled Halo fans, but they’re still fans of Halo-esque gameplay at the end of the day.

Also on a side note, we don’t know if some of the Destiny MP fanbase ran back to Halo or not, considering that game’s slowly bleeding playercount.

RAIDEN1

That announcement puts paid to any DLC coming single player campaign wise for the foreseeable future...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Considering the fact that Splitgate was closed down and killed off, and that community had to end up somewhere, I’d say a decent chunk of people regardless of title name.

Splitgate fans are disgruntled Halo fans, but they’re still fans of Halo-esque gameplay at the end of the day.

Also on a side note, we don’t know if some of the Destiny MP fanbase ran back to Halo or not, considering that game’s slowly bleeding playercount.

I don't know if there even were "Splitgate players". Wasn't that game just a flash in the pan fad game that everyone played for a week or two?

Splitgate averaged 36k players in August 2021.
Halo Infinite hasn't cracked 6k average players in a month since early 2021.

Using Steam to determine playercounts on a game that is primarily played by people with Game Pass accounts is disingenuous.
Do we actually know it's dominated by people with Game Pass subs? It's a free to play game multiplayer wise so it doesn't matter whether you have Game Pass or not.

Ozriel

M$FT
It would be a huge downgrade performance wise. Whatever they have the game running now does a great job.

And why UE5… I would go for an id tech engine instead if they have to switch engines

Bloomberg reports they’re switching to Unreal Engine.

Id tech is fine but it’s way easier for recruitment to go with UE as an industry standard engine.

Phase

The contrast between the response on r/halo and here is quite jarring.
People who actively play the title - and are some of its fiercest critics - are pumped. FireFight’s been one of the most requested additions
That's because everyone else who cared and wanted Halo with everything it should've had at release have given up and left.

Ozriel

M$FT
as for who cares about the store? the people developing the game, that's why you don't have single player content because they cant sell you "just cosmetic" items for single player. So it’s quite important really.

They don’t have single player content at least partly because all hands are on deck to produce content for the Multiplayer mode. They need to sell cosmetics for that mode since it’s F2P.

Any SP mode would be a paid expansion, so there’s no sense in you saying they can’t make SP solely because they can’t put MTX in it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Using Steam to determine playercounts on a game that is primarily played by people with Game Pass accounts is disingenuous.

256k peak concurrent players on Steam seams like a great sample size to illustrate player trends over time. Especially for the F2P multiplayer where GamePass is not required.

Happy James Corden GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Not bad. I look forward to what the community will create. Halo 2/3's custom games were some of the most fun I've ever had playing MP games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Again, no it doesn't. It's like trying to use Steam player numbers of God of War to determine how many people are playing it on PS5.

But Steam is a multiplayer centric marketplace and Halo Infinites multiplayer launched day and date there (unlike God of War). So, it is.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Eh? That’s a question you could ask for any big IP. There is a reason why there are so few new IPs. Look at the TGA nominees for GOTY. Not a single new IP.

If Fortnite, Rocket League, Valorant, Tarkov were called something else, they'd have exactly the same player base.

Single player games are exponentially more reliant on IP. I think Halo really benefits from a small subset of multiplayer gamers who are obsessed with nastolgia rather than compelling gameplay.

havoc00

If Fortnite, Rocket League, Valorant, Tarkov were called something else, they'd have exactly the same player base.

Single player games are exponentially more reliant on IP. I think Halo really benefits from a small subset of multiplayer gamers who are obsessed with nastolgia rather than compelling gameplay.
The mp gameplay in Infinite is great though

The MP of Halo Infinite is indeed great. The controls feel awesome in Halo still. 343 hasn't done the series wrong, mechanically.

For some reason I just can't get back into MP. Could be an age thing. But out of all of the MP games, this and Destiny are the best IMHO. I cannot stand Battlefield or CoD

Fredrik

Nah I don’t agree at all, the IP is extremely important for both mp and sp, if FF14 wasn’t called Final Fantasy it would have a fraction of the player count, if CoD had mp separately under another title it wouldn’t be near any top lists. Publishers even use big IPs to boost new studios and new games - ”from the creators of”.

Fredrik

I would hardly call Alan Wake and Baldur's Gate big IPs.
Baldur’s Gate was huge and dnd is big, the IP has been asleep for awhile though. And Alan Wake is a sequel people has frequently been requesting. New IPs would’ve sold less, zero doubt.

Top Bottom