• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: On April 14th, We've Got Movie Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanC

The show has a projected release date of 2017, meaning that it won't be out for another year. I'm hoping they have something special cooked up for Thanksgiving. Perhaps some host segments featuring the new and old cast. Also, will Patton Oswalt's work on MST3K undermine his commitment to Bojack Horseman?

VO work is a minimal time commitment. He can get three episodes done in an afternoon for a 22 min show.

Caught the live Rifftrax of Mothra tonight, it was pretty good! Nice of Sony/Toho to play ball. Catch the replay or the live download if you can.

Hell, do a public domain movie for Turkey Day. I doubt anyone will mind terribly.

That would be awesome. PD shorts, even. A half hour would be better than nothing.

Why did Toho have such a hang up with the Godzilla episodes? Was it due to royalties, or were they being protective over the artistic integrity of the Godzilla brand??

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Why did Toho have such a hang up with the Godzilla episodes? Was it due to royalties, or were they being protective over the artistic integrity of the Godzilla brand??

I don't know how true this is, but I'd *heard* that they didn't actually know what sort of show MST3K was up until recently.

Again, not sure how true it is.

FWIW I hear that Rifftrax won't be able to release Mothra as a digital download with video, Sony will only approve the theatrical version. Not sure if true.

Bluth54

Toho used to be very protective of the Godzilla license. They're a little bit more liberal with it now (we're getting a Godzilla anime, which would of never, ever happened a decade ago) but even with the modern Toho I don't know if they would approve of MST3K.

Amalthea

Banned
Toho used to be very protective of the Godzilla license. They're a little bit more liberal with it now (we're getting a Godzilla anime, which would of never, ever happened a decade ago) but even with the modern Toho I don't know if they would approve of MST3K.
Every company would be less than thrilled if their properties are assumed public domain when they aren't, especially if it's to make fun of them.

Allowing animes and cross-overs are one thing but I don't think they will just forgive them any time soon.

Looks like the next round of old episodes for backers is being distributed. I got an email for it, but when I follow the link it still says the new batch is pending. Does anyone else have them yet? Curious what the episode(s) are.

Looks like the next round of old episodes for backers is being distributed. I got an email for it, but when I follow the link it still says the new batch is pending. Does anyone else have them yet? Curious what the episode(s) are.

Yeah I got the e-mail too, and I see the same thing.

SeanC

I got an email about Postcard voting. Nothing about new episodes.

Having a hard time choosing only five postcards. Some are really funny and good.

VrGJqO8.jpg

According to the update that just got sent out:

-Most "silhouette scenes" have been shot
-Shooting host segments, sketches and opening sequences this week
-Mark Hamill cameo is confirmed and is being shot this week
-New cameos not yet mentioned are happening
-Mary Jo, Kevin and Bill will be on hand all week

mclem

What does 'silhouette scenes" mean? Is that the actual riffs? It seems a little odd to have that be the first thing mentioned, almost casually, then have all the focus on the host segments. But then, I guess the host segments *are* the elements that need more production.

(Also, to reference a picture directly in the update: Is Jonah massive, or are Joel and Seth tiny?

What does 'silhouette scenes" mean? Is that the actual riffs? It seems a little odd to have that be the first thing mentioned, almost casually, then have all the focus on the host segments. But then, I guess the host segments *are* the elements that need more production.

That's how I took it. I'm not sure what else he could mean. I agree it's an odd way to put it.

Silhouette's are the easiest part of the production to film, and they can redub parts that need tweaking.

androvsky

(Also, to reference a picture directly in the update: Is Jonah massive, or are Joel and Seth tiny?
Iirc Jonah is very tall. I remember comments that it might make puppeteering easier since he wouldn't need as much of a platform, if at all.

Tom_Cody

-Shooting host segments, sketches and opening sequences this week
-Mark Hamill cameo is confirmed and is being shot this week
-New cameos not yet mentioned are happening
-Mary Jo, Kevin and Bill will be on hand all week

Also this posted on FB

14445934_1098723893508337_2115635066538891993_n.jpg

Still the best part of this image to me is Elliot Kalan. I am so happy he is head writer.
Exciting stuff!

SeanC

Iirc Jonah is very tall. I remember comments that it might make puppeteering easier since he wouldn't need as much of a platform, if at all.

Just watched the Reunion Rifftrax and he towers over everyone else. Guess I never noticed on Meltdown just how tall he really is. Sure, I read it's 6 foot 5 but only until you see him next to the average height person do you realize that.

Bluth54

I saw this on the Kickstarter comments page. IMDB has a list of the new episodes. I don't plan on watching any of the movies prior to the new season, but for those that want to watch the original first here's your chance.

Posting link only for those that don't want to be spoiled.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0094517/episodes?season=12

I'm pretty sure anyone can edit IMDB pages so unless the movies are officially announced I wouldn't trust that.

Production on the new season is now completely finished!

The latest update also has a picture of Jonah with the new set behind him. It's a tight shot so you can't see much, but it's very MST3K.

Reminder: Joel asked us not to share photos from backer updates. Sorry sirs. :/

Tom_Cody

They still have editing and all the post production stuff to do, though. On another note, Joel announced Turkey Day 2016 in the email and said next year's Turkey Day will have two episodes from all three hosts.
I can't wait! I'm going to be home for the first Thanksgiving in years and I will definitely be watching.

opoth

Banned
They still have editing and all the post production stuff to do, though. On another note, Joel announced Turkey Day 2016 in the email and said next year's Turkey Day will have two episodes from all three hosts.

Re-read the update - business as usual this year, it's two from each host in 2017.

EDIT: oof, read the post after yours first. I guess it's easy to be hopeful and skim over the word "year" and just see "next Turkey day"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Them being done with shooting already makes me think they might have an episode for Turkey day.

Or maybe a short from an episode. Has Joel said if there will be shorts?

Sliver

Them being done with shooting already makes me think they might have an episode for Turkey day.

Or maybe a short from an episode. Has Joel said if there will be shorts?

Shooting is the fastest thing to get done during production. It's going to be awhile.

It seems like the next (and final?) batch of classic movies were added on VHX for appropriate level backers.

For anyone wondering, the current list:

The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy

Mad Monster

Attack of the Killer Shrews

Manos: The Hands of Fate

Final Justice

Magic Voyage of Sinbad

Master Ninja

Master Ninja II

Alien from L.A.

Gunslinger

mclem

I think the most likely thing, if anything, is some sort of teaser. Not sure I'm talking of anything as much as a short, but maybe something prequel-ish about Kinga and Jonah.

SeanC

Awww yeah. Not entirely sure and don't fully recall what's going out the first go-around of rewards shipments but I do need a new keychain stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom