• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia Anime |OT| Go Beyond! PLUS ULTRA! (No Manga spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

I'm reading the manga, so I have no interest in watching the anime. Anyway it's a superhero battlemanga people deserve.

I can highly recommend it.

Blues1990

I kinda just assumed she's permanently invisible and that's just her quirk, like Iida grew engines in his feet and Mina looks like a demon and stuff and therefore past the point of worrying if it'd turn off in at an inopportune moment.
I figured as much, though I'm anticipating that cheap joke to come in, especially with how curvy she is. I think.

Awesome, looking forward to it! Will join you guys in the manga thread when I catch up soon enough.

I usually lurk there, but I'll drop by to reply when I get the chance.

Moonlight

Banned
Momo is pretty thick. I like thick girls. :D
Doesn't Momo potentially have the most overpowered quirk out of the characters?
Her power is pretty ridiculous, yeah. Though it's got an upper limit that they establish pretty early on. I think of the characters we know about (and excluding some obvious ones), No. 13 has the most notable 'would be OP as fuck if they fully utilized it' type of power.

i agree

Meffer

I know that everyone here has a soft spot for Tsuyu, but are there any other characters that you guys like in the manga & are looking forward to seeing them in action in the anime?

For me, Mina Ashido (Alien Queen) & Fumikage Tokoyami (Jet Black Hero) are my favourites, both in design and power-set. Seeing Dark Shadow in the anime will be pretty wicked, to say the least.

I'm interested in how they'll do All Might and anybody who reads the manga knows what I mean.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So, is this thread going to devolve into waifu discussions?

I knew, I fucking knew, that when the MHA anime was announced, it would devolve into waifu wars the likes of which God has never seen.

SalvaPot

So, is this thread going to devolve into waifu discussions?

I don't think so. In the manga thread is fairly tame and everyone is incredibly self-aware.

But if it explodes on popularity then it could happen, but as long as we keep discussion interesting and fun it should be fine.

I like Ojiro in the Manga but so far hes gotten shafted from any major roles but his time to shine will come!
4668140-ojiro.jpg

ntZqwel.jpg

Kyouka is great too.
n005.jpg

76ZnR1yl.jpg

SalvaPot

So will they show the first episode on that Twitch channel? Would be awesome

No, they are not going to stream it on the twitch channel, they are just going to react to it. They confirmed you need to make an account in the funimation page and you can watch it there, you could also get a 14 day free subscription to watch it.

doop_

Banned
No, they are not going to stream it on the twitch channel, they are just going to react to it. They confirmed you need to make an account in the funimation page and you can watch it there, you could also get a 14 day free subscription to watch it.
Don't have a debit or credit card. I wish free trials didn't require them.

Kaizer

Banned
My Hero Academia Ep. 01

Man, they nailed the look of the manga, the art style is fantastic. Very faithful adaptation of the beginning of the story and really sold the emotional moments. The scene with his mom was great. Pacing is really smooth and getting to see All Might animated is great, his laugh - HA HA HA

Definitely looking forward to watching more & more of this. That Mt. Lady tho - ass-quaintance lol

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
True. If anything, he would probably be a background character for the first run of this adaptation, unless if they are condensing several parts of the story.

There's nothing wrong with that, as they are awesome characters in their own right. I like that Ochako's superhero costume looks puffy, specifically the boots.

She doesn't pop up as much as I want her to, but I hope we get some more coverage for the other students in the series. I honestly want to know why Tooru is always invisible, for one thing. Like, doesn't she worry that she'll suddenly revert to a visible state, revealing everything to the world?

Tokoyami does some pretty cool things later in the series, so prepare your body for that shit. :D

Momo is pretty thick. I like thick girls. :D
Doesn't Momo potentially have the most overpowered quirk out of the characters?

Alot of characters in this manga are pretty OP once they learn what and how their powers work.
Even ochako can be pretty deadly, she can send a ball hurling infinitely out of the atmosphere to god knows where, she can do this with literally anything or anyone else.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This will be the first series where I've read the manga before watching the anime. I wonder what that will feel like.

Can't wait!

Your gonna freak out at every slight change that is made from the manga, whether that change was good or not, but get super hyped at seeing your favorite scenes from the manga animated.

Qurupeke

Yeah, this was better than I expected. I liked it a lot.

My Hero Academia 1

Off with a great start. It actually looks really damn good, it surprised me. The only thing I didn't like is Deku's voice, but I'll get used to it. The episode was mostly about explaining the world and setting up the plot with All Might, but it still was really entertaining. One reason people like MHA is Deku, the main character, who isn't a cool badass like other shounen characters, but someone who works to achieve something. And he's also overenthusiastic about heroes, I think this was apparent. lol Anyway, I don't want to spoil something, but Deku is pretty much someone you can relate to. Then there's Bakugo, the explosion man, who may seem like a hothead ready to explode, but he's actually more than that and is pretty awesome. We'll get more of him on the next episode.

One thing I didn't remember that good from the manga was the scene with the video after the "No quirk" reveal. It was emotional on it too, but the anime had a much bigger impact. Really sad scene.

So far it seems to follow the manga close, but we'll see. I'm actually a lot more optimistic about it now.

Moaradin

Damn good start. I hope All Might continues to randomly shout English words lol.

Man they nailed the look of the manga here. Music is also a great fit. Very heroic and inspirational stuff. The pacing surprised me, because I don't think they even finished adapting the first chapter. It felt very good though.

Ushay

Really enjoying the manga so far. I'm getting strong Naruto vibes from this, at least the early (better) parts of it anyway.

Very hyped for this one, feels like it will be a big hit.

Froppy ftw!

This was just perfect pacing. Extremely amazing in pretty much every way.

For those interested about pacing information, the first episode covered half of chapter 1. Some minor additions were made during the first battle against that monster, with two heroes and commentary about them being added. Of course, the part in the info showing the shadows of the Marvel heroes weren't shown. Outside of that, this episode was frighteningly close to the manga. I normally expect the entire first chapter to be adapted into an anime episode, but this was a pretty wise decision.

The ending theme is pretty solid, but I feel like the opening needs to grow on me more. Wanted to see some more action in the animation from the kids, I guess.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Episode 1:

Right, so it is time to play the role of villain once again, been awhile but I have the feeling that my opinion my not be a popular one. Indeed given the hype and praise I so often get lauded for this series the expectations were lofty and what I get out of the park is some very generic shonen wrapped around superhero tropes and I am already wary. I am not writing this series off or anything and I understand it is probably going to take time for MHA to get into gear. However, merely mixing anime and superheros isn't exactly a fresh take any more and MHA is at the disadvantage of coming out after the likes of One Punch Man and Tiger and Bunny, both of which had much more compelling first outings. Also, I really hope this show misses Toonami if this ultra shonen tone is sticking around for that block has that particular bit of verisimilitude covered in spades.

Nightbird

One thing I didn't remember that good from the manga was the scene with the video after the "No quirk" reveal. It was emotional on it too, but the anime had a much bigger impact. Really sad scene.

That scene was in the Manga too :)

Well, well, well, here we are!
I've been waiting for this Day since I started reading MHA, and now we're here!

This Episode was great! It had some errors (I think), but it's not something important, so that's easy to ignore. Other than that, I am disappointed that they didn't adapted the full first chapter, but this shows at what rapid pace the Manga goes.
But that's it with the negative aspects.
The first episode was flawless beyond that. Great music, great voice acting, the animation seems to look awesome too!
Bones did a great job adapting the first half of the first chapter, and thus my expectations will stay high.
Hero Academia is finally here, and it look to be the Anime adaption I wanted it to be. Bless the Bones!

9/10

Ascheroth

My Hero Academia - 01

They really nailed everything. This was a lot of fun to watch.
The pacing surprised me a bit. They only adapted half of the first chapter, but the pacing felt perfect. Very excited for the rest.
All Mights allmighty overshading and his laugh are excellent, great amount of Deku faces, very fluid action scenes, and the soundtrack was on point as well.
Exceeded expectations, looking forward to the rest.

T-Rex.

Banned
Really promising first episode. I haven't read the manga, but similar to OPM the hype surrounding MHA was too much to ignore and the episode didn't disappoint. Good, colourful animation, exciting fight scenes, good voice acting, and pretty decent humour and all. I'm sold.

I'm yet to watch a Bones show that was bad, or that I didn't enjoy so can't say I'm too surprised.

Skrams

Been excited for this for a while. First episode hit all the marks I wanted it to hit and improved scenes for me like Deku's mom and his quirklessness. A much stronger reaction here for me than in the manga. All the comedic bits hit their mark for me pretty well in timing.

I guess I'm only kind of disappointed because I want more. I can see the path of what an episode 2 and 3 will cover and I can't wait.

I'm enjoying a lot of the voices too. I'm glad some good random english is thrown in there too. All Might is on point and Bakugou is doing good.

Animation is tickling all my points too and the OP is reminding me of some scenes that I hope get pulled off as beautifully as I want them too.

So status: Good as fuck and I'm hype as fuck.

Jintor

The pacing is really good, expanding what needs to be expanded, skipping over what needs to be skipped

i forgot how jerky baku is lol. little shit.

duckroll

Episode 1

Not bad. The animation's really good, but that's expected with BONES. I'm surprised how traditionally paced the first episode was though, given that this is only 13 episodes. Doesn't feel like much happened at all. It's kinda funny that in the last year or so there's been a number of anime taking advantage of the superhero boom. One Punch Man, Concrete Revolutio, My Hero Academia... I wonder if there'll just be more and more of this over the years now.

Jintor

One thing I thought they added which I didn't feel was as apparent this early in the manga was how gleeful ka-chan was about being a little shit. In the manga he is straight up homicidal bully from the get-go but this has these great moments when he's picking on Deku that just seems like he's really utterly enjoying it instead of only being consumed by rage, which tends to be his default

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom