• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia's first season is amazing (No manga spoilers please)

FYI, if you dont know about My Hero Academia, its an anime that follows Izuku Midoriya, a superhero otaku who is one of the rare people who didnt get superpowers(Quirks in this world) of his own where as the rest of the world did. He wishes to become a superhero like his idol All Might but despite one tragic scene confirming his quirklessness, he aspires to be one.

sUhkGNk.png

Seriously, its damn amazing. Visually with its animation that is really well done and character designs, especially as it makes sense that all the characters are uniquely distinct(bird head Tokoyami and kangaroo Oji) because of boiling down to 'Quirks'.
The story is so well paced and done, in that each episode feels like a two in one IMO.

Then the characters. First off, Deku is such a great and inspirational character, so much so, from his journey in season, that he's kinda inspired me to finally get off my ass and start lifting. He's got the smart and intuitiveness of let's say Batman and then the strength and speed of Superman but at the cost of his body being heavily damaged. He eventually learns to hone in on this power from his experiences from other heroes or even his classmates.

Moving on to All Might, from my first impression based on photos like the one below.

310613.jpg

I thought he looked a bit meh but after seeing him in action, he's become such a memorable character. With his all too good and bright persona, even in his weaker form, probably also because his voice actor does a really good job making him be well him.

Then Bakugo. Started hating him, then grew to actually like him. Comes off as an angry asshat(still does, even in season 2) but he really starts to grow as soon as he realizes he's not special plus he's seems to be just as smart and as intuitive as Deku.

Then the classmates, all with their unique personalities, designs and power sets that throughout the season gets their own times to shine and focused on. My favorites being Tsuyu Asui and Todoroki.

And finally, the soundtrack. My god, the soundtrack is amazingly fitting and adds so so much to each powerful scenes like the one where Deku gets the ok from All Might. Hell the theme for villains is bad ass too where 'dropping the bass' is actually not annoying to hear. Seriously, one hell of a soundtrack for an amazing anime.

The best thing about the season? Its instantly rewatchable to me. I think I've watched it for dozens of times now. The first two episodes are so well done, they could make it a movie! Heck I kinda wanna watch it now again.

IMO, it basically feels like early Naruto before it went to whackadoo chakras warzones.

So yeah, its a dope show. Go watch it if you havent, especially if you like superhero stuff.

Also Plus Ultra!

Barzul

I like how the name of All Might's signature moves correspond to American cities and states....got a chuckle out of me. Deku does cry way too much haha.

TimmiT

I thought the first season wasn't nearly as good as the manga. The pacing is terrible and the animation, while it can be pretty good, also failed to live up to the manga's art at times as well. The second season has been a far better adaptation so far though.

One thing I love about the anime/manga's treatment of Bakugo is that once the show's setting finally moves to the Hero Academy, all of the other students pretty much agree that he's an asshole that nobody likes. You'd normally see the mean-spirited but talented rival be the subject of adoration by the rest of the class while the protagonist gets less attention (looking at you Sasuke). But the rest of the cast (Tsuyu especially) casually point out that Bakugo's a jerk to his face. It's nice when characters act sort of realistic and it also fits into Bakugo realizing that he's no longer #1 like he was in his old school.

I enjoyed it much more than I'm enjoying the 2nd Season.

S2's been good so far but IMO not really up there with S1, yet.

Its not Naruto Chunnin Exams good, but its a nice warm shounen

Funny enough, season 2 is basically like the Chuunin Exams.

I thought the first season wasn't nearly as good as the manga. The pacing is terrible and the animation, while it can be pretty good, also failed to live up to the manga's art at times as well. The second season has been a far better adaptation so far though.

Haven't read the manga, will do after season 2 ends so for now, I gotta disagree with you on the pacing. I feel like each episodes progress superfast for an anime and ends well where you're hooked to watched the next episode.

One thing I love about the anime/manga's treatment of Bakugo is that once the show's setting finally moves to the Hero Academy, all of the other students pretty much agree that he's an asshole that nobody likes. You'd normally see the mean-spirited but talented rival be the subject of adoration by the rest of the class while the protagonist gets less attention (looking at you Sasuke). But the rest of the cast (Tsuyu especially) casually point out that Bakugo's a jerk to his face. It's nice when characters act sort of realistic and it also fits into Bakugo realizing that he's no longer #1 like he was in his old school.

Thats one thing I forgot to mention, is how uncliched some parts of the show has been. The one you mentioned, another is All Might who I really thought
was gonna be a guy who just fakes being a hero with sinister intent or something, but so far, he really lives up to his heroic persona
. Plus a few more others like when Uraraka
isn't focused to be Deku's love interest and just for now a crush but the show quickly skips that and focuses back on heroic stuff

Tace

Glad you discovered it, OP!

It is a legit great show and I hope it only gets more popular, it deserves it. There is an anime thread that is reasonably active. Hopefully we will see you there!

Top Bottom