• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like western comics or manga, are you reading My Hero Academia?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
tumblr_inline_o4ilfzoW9H1t0jmsi_1280.jpg

I haven't been this quite obsessed with a manga in a long time. I know there are a lot of fans of western comics and lapsed manga readers that haven't read anything recent. We have a very humble thread for readers in community, but I just wanted to take a moment to let some people know about this property that they might not have encountered it yet.

Here is the wikipedia description for anyone new:
The story follows Izuku Midoriya, a boy born without superpowers in a world where they are the norm, but who still dreams of becoming a superhero himself, *Early Chapter Spoilers*
and is scouted by the world's greatest hero who shares his powers with Izuku after recognizing his value and enrolls him in a high school for heroes in training

This manga is fantastic. It's a breath of fresh air compared to other published manga. It's well written, it moves very fast, there is a lot of content jam packed in each chapter.

The origin of the comic is intriguing. The creator Kōhei Horikoshi is fluent in English and grew up reading and being obsessed with American comics. This fascination shows clearly in the manga he made, from homages to the volume covers looking like a throwback to older super hero western comics. He's also a huge nerd about Star Wars, which also shows in the comic.

I know I'm evangelizing, but I love this series so much and I feel no shame. If I even get one new person to try it out I'll be happy.

Savitar

I looked at some things but it reminded me a lot of the whole "I can do it if I believe in myself and beat the guy no one else can beat despite being some guy training while big names failed to take down this guy."

Granted I didn't go in depth due to that brief look so could very well be wrong. I did like the take on the American hero aspect, will put that out there.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Not only is the manga awesome, but the first season of the anime is top-freaking-notch.

Hypron

Yeah it's really really good. I just love how they never waste time on anything, you've always got things going on; the story, the characters (and their powers) are constantly developing.

Also, if you watch the anime and don't feel too compelled by end, know that the Manga is faster paced and has better art.

Trojita

I looked at some things but it reminded me a lot of the whole "I can do it if I believe in myself and beat the guy no one else can beat despite being some guy training while big names failed to take down this guy."

Granted I didn't go in depth due to that brief look so could very well be wrong. I did like the take on the American hero aspect, will put that out there.

How far did you get? Because that's not how the comic is like at all. Yes Deku is optimistic, motivated, and resourceful, but he works for what he gets and doesn't instawin people.

Trojita

I enjoyed the first season. I haven't read the manga yet. Is the manga far ahead of the anime?

Yes. Very far. like 5 times as far in chapter count at least and in reality it feels a lot farther than that because of how fast the manga flows smoothly.

i'll check it out! are there any official releases of the manga or do I have to look for other means

Are you looking for an English release? I know Viz releases the manga.

Sölf

So good. After the anime finished I catchep up on the manga.

Sweet Jesus!

I rarely read manga, I watch more anime instead. But some are just so friggin good, they demand to be read! Also, even though this releases weekly it had so much content packed into a single chapter it feels more like a monthly release in terms of content. I still can't believe how fast everything progresses.

AlucardGV

Banned
it's a nice manga and i enjoy it, but i never get why people say "it's a fresh breath". it's not.
i won't elevate it above the jack of all trades, it does his things nicely without really peaking.

Meffer

One of my favorites and one of the best shonen mangas currently running. Seriously this manga is good and I recommend it.

Thud

Deku's mom is the best. This and one punch man have show that there is room for some heroes in manga.

New arc in the manga started off well. I don't see it as a long running series. The scale is a bit smaller, which keeps it more manageable.

Meffer

it's a nice manga and i enjoy it, but i never get why people say "it's a fresh breath". it's not.
i won't elevate it above the jack of all trades, it does his things nicely without really peaking.

I'll saying it isn't bogged down by chapters that feel like nothing happens like a lot of other mangas do. It moves along at a brisk pace and when it's at a moment that needs focus it certainly will.
That's what makes it fresh for most people.
Oh I thought this is interesting, this is author's, Kōhei Horikoshi, third manga in Shonen Jump with the last two dropped and never passing 50 chapters. He put all in this one and it certainly shows. This manga is a first of many for the guy and is of course very happy and humble about it. Dude's a champ.

This delivers on a weekly basis, the manga is absolutely amazing.

Anyone that loves shonen/action should read it. It's really, really good.

I will admit that one of my top weaknesses in manga is when the author takes on western tropes and inspirations; this is kind of why Eyeshield 21 and Full Metal Alchemist top my "best of" lists. COmbing that, with my love of cape comics, is the sort of thing that produces semi-dangerous obsessions.

In short, Horikoshi da gawd, MHA da bess

cntr

Banned
Real talk, the best manga and anime are usually the ones that are western influenced.

My Hero Academia is like a fusion of battle shounen and western superheroes that cancels out the negatives, it's great.

MHA is really an incredible manga. The plot is interesting, the characters are well written, the action is great, and the art is really good too. These days I'm not even really sure if I'm more excited to read the new chapter of MHA or One Piece first. People were talking about what would happen to Jump with two of their biggest series ending (Bleach and Naruto), but honestly MHA is better than Bleach or Naruto ever were imo, and there are some interesting new series too like The Promised Neverland (i hope they don't axe this one, i think it has potential).

anyways, the manga is great and anyone who likes action/shonen/superhero genres will probably like it!

Moaradin

It's one of the best shonen manga currently running. I've been reading it weekly for a few years now and it's kinda crazy how satisfying each chapter is. There isn't a dull moment in sight.

Great manga with excellent dialogue and characterization. Midoriya is one hell of a protagonist.

The tempo of the anime is a bit slow though. But I still enjoyed watching it.

Cerium

Fastest paced manga I have ever read. Moves at the speed of light.

Probably the best thing in Jump right now.

Really is the best shounen currently running. Its so consistent its hard to believe Horis last 2-3 manga were cancelled prematurely.

I pretty much only get hyped for MHA every week.

Hori draws hands so good as well

I didn't like the 4th volume at all so I'm a little worried.

Carry on. I just checked and volume 5 has some great development for characters. Also volume 6 starts my fav arc in this manga so far so >.>

ss-hikaru

I didn't realise he was fluent in English! I wonder what he thought of of the English pronunciation in the anime :p

MHA, Food Wars and Black Clover are what I am most excited to read each week in SJA. I don't read western comics but I love shonen manga and this series delivers in spades.

cntr

Banned
Golden Kamuy is seinen, and not a battle shounen.

Honestly I'd recommend reading the first 20-30 chapters of the manga, it's faster, and the appeal of the series is more apparent. The anime is good, but not the same.

Yep, I'm reading. Surprisingly I'm not massively into Western superhero comics, but I'm enjoying MHA a lot. It's quickly rising up there with the 'greats' for me, absolutely love the art, premise and characters.

Qvoth

yeah i'm reading it
this and world trigger i feel are the 2 best new-ish shonen jump titles

i stopped watching the anime about episode 2 or 3
which are the episodes with the good fight scenes? think i'll just check those out

Nightbird

I'm just gonna say:

I was really excited when I heard that Hori had a new series coming to jump. I got even more excited when I heard it was about Superheroes.

That was two years ago, and my excitement for the series never dropped yet

Rephin

I didn't realise he was fluent in English! I wonder what he thought of of the English pronunciation in the anime :p

MHA, Food Wars and Black Clover are what I am most excited to read each week in SJA. I don't read western comics but I love shonen manga and this series delivers in spades.

My man.

yeah i'm reading it
this and world trigger i feel are the 2 best new-ish shonen jump titles

i stopped watching the anime about episode 2 or 3
which are the episodes with the good fight scenes? think i'll just check those out

Id say just episode 12 for the All Might Vs Noumu fight and 13 for the pro heroes entrance if you're already reading the manga.

Ushay

Real talk, the best manga and anime are usually the ones that are western influenced.

My Hero Academia is like a fusion of battle shounen and western superheroes that cancels out the negatives, it's great.

I totally agree, Berserk is another great example of heavily influenced by other cultures. My Hero Academia is one of the best new mangas out there. The anime was also top notch.

Really wish Berserk got the same anime treatment :(

Quasar

I do like both thise things, but I'm not reading MHA as I burned out on supers and dont like shonen for the most part. Hell I started watching anime/reading manga to escape supers.

Cwarrior

My hero academia is cookie cutter,run of mill, more of the same, vanilla shounen that follows very closly follows the foot steps of it's predecessors, never taking one step out of line.

it's not bad it's a fairy good excution of the template but it's as much of a fresh air as the dusty air in the London underground subway station.

The manga artist really needs to take chances and start looking else where for insperation instead of other people's works ( he needs to take a holiday).

I'll look forward to kohei horikoshi next manga if he becomes confident enough to do his own thing.

Now Daisuke Ashihara's World trigger serise, now that man is the chosen one, his the man that will carry the shounen action genre on it's back for the next generation, taking it to the promise land while breaking boundaries along the way, like the other greats have done before him (Yoshihiro Togashi,Eiichiro Oda, George morikawa).

I like Western Comics and I saw the pilot of the anime and thought it was woefully generic and uninteresting. Mediocre stuff.

I guess I could keep watching in the hopes of it getting better, but I have a lot of other content I could be consuming instead. The opportunity cost is always so high!

Kid Heart

I own the first 6 volumes in english, yet have only read the first chapter. I really enjoy what I've seen so far though. >>

Top Bottom