• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia Anime |OT| Go Beyond! PLUS ULTRA! (No Manga spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol using batman, cut it out dude. Deku is a 15 year old with destroyed limbs put on a life or death situation with his class, not a roided 100kg/10% fat, 30 yo, millionaire male vigilante.

Spider-Man doesn't cry constantly as a teenager.

It's really weird how y'all are OK with the crying but can't actually say how it make the character or show better. I guess I'll never be able to relate to Deku.

cntr

Banned
All Might is like Superman, a guy so infallible that his very existence keeps villains away. A legend, not a human being. But in the end, All Might is a human being, and he has to pretend that he's fine to make people forget that.

Jintor

you might as well ask how grunts of pain or splashes of blood make the show better. or people laughing. or emoting in any way

also canonically spidey wisecracks constantly so he doesn't flip the fuck out

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

It's really weird how y'all are OK with the crying but can't actually say how it make the character or show better. I guess I'll never be able to relate to Deku.

I also understand the points you're making, but he's still treated as a kid character just like Naruto was. It will go away eventually, especially when his powers finally settle in giving him confidence. Hopefully there will be a time skip or a well paced progression to show this, but I don't expect it anytime soon.

spiritfox

I understand this but the students looked at him in a way of "I'll never achieve his level of greatness". To me that's a de-motivator. Even Superman sometimes lost.

I'm saying only to the heroes, not media. Unless you are implying that someone in the school is a secret agent for the other side...

I see it more like a goal, a role model to aim for and maybe hit. Seeing your role model washed up is not something nice. I'm sure you've had experiences like these, where your childhood hero becomes an asshole or a shadow of their former self.

Also, kids can babble a lot. No one knows who can overhear that information, so might as well keep it secret.

Kyuur

Last episode was good, probably one of the better in the season. Can't wait for S2, hope they pick up the pace just a tad!

It adds emotional depth and separates him from dozens of clone protagonists in the rest of Shonen. The fact that his fears don't stop him from pulling off crazy things is icing on the cake.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I see it more like a goal, a role model to aim for and maybe hit. Seeing your role model washed up is not something nice. I'm sure you've had experiences like these, where your childhood hero becomes an asshole or a shadow of their former self

These two are vastly different things. Seeing your hero grow old thus becoming less of what they are over time is the progression of life. You show how everyone can age and that you should look forward to the future heroes to set the new examples, passing the torch(publicly). The real asshole thing to do would be to keep your secret this whole time and to just disappear into obscurity(making people feel abandoned) which I'm betting is what All-Might would do.

Um... I'm going to try to comment about this from the view of a anime-only watcher

---

He's thinking about a successor, right? That would suggest against a simple 'fade into obscurity' retirement to me.

Wouldn't it be odd for a Superman-type guy who's possibly in his 30s/early 40s and still in peak condition(in public eye) to just vanish? That's different than retirement. I don't see him lasting long enough for Deku to get a handle on his powers, which is why I bring this point up.

It adds emotional depth and separates him from dozens of clone protagonists in the rest of Shonen. The fact that his fears don't stop him from pulling off crazy things is icing on the cake.

Emotional depth? I'm not sure what that is. Can you explain this concept? Is this a term used commonly? How does Deku have emotional depth? Because he cries?

Jintor

Um... I'm going to try to comment about this from the view of a anime-only watcher

---

He's thinking about a successor, right? That would suggest against a simple 'fade into obscurity' retirement to me.

Emotional depth? I'm not sure what that is. Can you explain this concept? Is this a term used commonly? How does Deku have emotional depth? Because he cries?

holy shit dude stop being obtuse. You don't think people being sad, relieved, in pain, frustrated, having a moment of cartharsis etc is a real emotion, we get it

Wouldn't it be odd for a Superman-type guy who's possibly in his 30s and still in peak condition(in public eye) to just vanish? That's different than retirement. I don't see him lasting long enough for Deku to get a handle on his powers, which is why I bring this point up.

Well people should already have been noticing that he's limited to like 3 hrs a day of activity but probably the crime rate is low enough/general hero coverage is high enough that it's not a huge issue.

As for All Might lasting long enough, I guess either he has contingencies in place (more likely) or he hasn't thought about it at all (less likely).

I don't think All Might is *planning* on getting #rekt

Kyuur

It refers the ability to show multiple different emotions. The more emotions someone is capable of displaying, the more emotional depth they have. Deku's crying alone doesn't give him this, but it adds. Take it away and you have a lesser character.

Vibed

It's a reminder throughout the season that, hey, just because I did this one impossible thing, or the next, or the next, doesn't mean I'm fearless and suddenly have the strength to keep a brave face in danger. That face will come with time, not in a super unrealistic way to some 15 year old kid. That shit is difficult. I would cry too. It's yet another facet of a character that, if removed, would hurt his depth. Sure, the fear could be communicated in a more badass way, but that changes the core of Deku.

Chaos17

I prefer Deku crying yet getting his shit together to take action rather than a perma "rambo" kid.
That's one of the reason why I prefer Jojo season 1 rather than Jojo season 3.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That last episode was hype. Can't wait to see the 2nd season. I hope they fix the pacing issues and have a decent budget, especially with the fact that this show unfortunately didn't do great on broadcast numbers.

For those that don't read the manga, when the volumes come out they include extra information about the Hero Academia world and the characters in them. This stuff probably won't ever be animated. Just wanted to mention two in particular, one is something funny that also gives a look into a character's personality the other mentions something about a specific head of the school that I'm sure some people have been wondering about.

I'll spoiler tag them just in case, but they are safe information:

Ochako -
She lives away from her parents in an apartment so that she can attend school at U.A. since her actual home is far away. She is a huge penny pincher, to the point that she basically starves herself to save money. She'll also at times does literally nothing to save money. You'll notice if you go back and watch the show how she even remarks how great something as plain as rice tastes. Also I think the meals at the school are really cost effective or subsidized.

The Principal -
You might be wondering what his quirk is and about his appearance. He's actually not human at all! He's a non-human animal who developed a quirk (super rare! for a non-human!) that gave him an IQ higher than a normal human as well as the ability to speak. As a running joke (I think it is still this way), it isn't explained exactly what animal he is. He looks like a mouse or rat.

Deku feels like more like a human being. Like Shady said, he's not whiny but emotional and honest. He feels less stoic and more rich as a character because he is much more expressive with the tears.

In other case it can be something else then tears but in this one this trait enhance his personality.

Pejo

Since it was so damn hot outside, I marathoned the entire first season of this show yesterday.

Really enjoyed it. Not quite as much as HxH, my favorite shonen(shounen?) show, but it was really fun. I feel like they share some common themes though, which I enjoy.

I'm really surprised
none of the heroes ended up dying in the last episode.

I'm also really glad I decided to wait until the season was over to watch it, because damn @ some of those cliffhangers between episodes.

That last episode was hype. Can't wait to see the 2nd season. I hope they fix the pacing issues and have a decent budget, especially with the fact that this show unfortunately didn't do great on broadcast numbers.

For those that don't read the manga, when the volumes come out they include extra information about the Hero Academia world and the characters in them. This stuff probably won't ever be animated. Just wanted to mention two in particular, one is something funny that also gives a look into a character's personality the other mentions something about a specific head of the school that I'm sure some people have been wondering about.

I'll spoiler tag them just in case, but they are safe information:

Ochako -
She lives away from her parents in an apartment so that she can attend school at U.A. since her actual home is far away. She is a huge penny pincher, to the point that she basically starves herself to save money. She'll also at times does literally nothing to save money. You'll notice if you go back and watch the show how she even remarks how great something as plain as rice tastes. Also I think the meals at the school are really cost effective or subsidized.

The Principal -
You might be wondering what his quirk is and about his appearance. He's actually not human at all! He's a non-human animal who developed a quirk (super rare! for a non-human!) that gave him an IQ higher than a normal human as well as the ability to speak. As a running joke (I think it is still this way), it isn't explained exactly what animal he is. He looks like a mouse or rat.

Ochako will forever be best girl.

FluxWaveZ

As a whole, this was alright. The show wasn't quite what I expected when I went in, but it's conceptually nice. I find that I don't actually care that much for the protagonist or any of the characters except for All Might and Eraser Head (and even then...). I like the sacrificial aspect of Midoriya's powers.

The pacing was awful, only really worked in the last 3 episodes. Too many flashbacks certainly didn't help.

It'd be low on the ranking list of shounen I've seen, compared to amazing shows like Hunter x Hunter or Gintama. Still, I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Read the manga.

As someone who thinks this is the best running shonen manga today, I thought the anime dropped the ball super hard. Not a good adaptation.

Ascheroth

As a whole, this was alright. The show wasn't quite what I expected when I went in, but it's conceptually nice. I find that I don't actually care that much for the protagonist or any of the characters except for All Might and Eraser Head (and even then...). I like the sacrificial aspect of Midoriya's powers.

The pacing was awful, only really worked in the last 3 episodes. Too many flashbacks certainly didn't help.

It'd be low on the ranking list of shounen I've seen, compared to amazing shows like Hunter x Hunter or Gintama. Still, I look forward to seeing what happens next.

To be fair, both of those have way more episodes under their belt. And comparing anything to HxH and Gintama is inherently unfair :p

FluxWaveZ

Read the manga.

As someone who thinks this is the best running shonen manga today, I thought the anime dropped the ball super hard. Not a good adaptation.

Yeah, I might have to look into that, even for what the anime's already covered. It's rare that I feel this way since I inherently prefer anime, but I could see myself having a better time with the manga.

To be fair, both of those have way more episodes under their belt. And comparing anything to HxH and Gintama is inherently unfair :p

The unfairness is kind of what I mean, since those are pretty much the two shounens I've seen the most recently (well, those and Jojo's), so it's kind of hard for me to not think about aspects they handle better compared to similar shows. I preferred those shows to MHA at the same episode point, but that's fair; MHA could certainly build up in a significant way.

Then again, this show might be too positive and optimistic to explore the kinds of concepts or stories that I would want to see from it (not that I have an inherent problem with that kind of thing, I loved Space Brothers and Shirobako).

Quonny

I hope the second season continues at the pace of the last 3-4 episodes of this season.

Too many flashbacks early. That shit needs to stop. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit. The hype moments were really hype.

g.r.e.

I don't buy manga in years, but I'm gonna support the shit out of 'My hero academia' by buying all the books available in my country. Can't wait for season 2!

Tunahead

For real man, that shit's nasty. One Piece traumatized me with that.

In fairness, the most traumatic part of characters crying in One Piece is that it's always Usopp and his voice acting is the worst voice acting there has ever been in anything.

Well, I say voice acting, but I'm like 80% sure Usopp's voice is actually created by just taunting an exceptionally cantankerous raven.

Playsage

So, I gave a final chance to this season to sell My Hero Academia to me by watching it all, and...

Nope. I don't like it. I can't really find any unique appeal in what I consider is a trope-fest with a couple of likeable characters and some good visuals. Everyone talks about this like it is the next big mainstream thing, but I don't see the qualities, especially in a post-Naruto (Part 1, at least) world.

Regarding the season closing event, the main fight tries so hard to build up tension and all, but then it throws it all away by pulling the "big goddamn heroes" card multiple times.

I don't want to sound ultra-negative, but I guess that's it for me.

At least it's no Seven Deadly Sins. Now, that is some stinking shit!

Daingurse

Been reading the manga like a fiend lately. Can't wait for later seasons because this shit got really gud, really quick. This is an excellent shonen manga, and I like the way they adapted the first season. Plus Ultra was so fucking hype in the anime.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
In fairness, the most traumatic part of characters crying in One Piece is that it's always Usopp and his voice acting is the worst voice acting there has ever been in anything.

Well, I say voice acting, but I'm like 80% sure Usopp's voice is actually created by just taunting an exceptionally cantankerous raven.

... You're talking about the 4Kids dub right?

Playsage

1- All Might enters and interrupts the bad guys from killing Deku, Tsuyu and Mineta
2- Bakugou, "Hot Coldman" and Kaminari enter and save All Might from the bad guys
3- The reinforcements enter and interrupt the bad guys from killing All Might and Deku

Literally everything is a trope-fest.

I do not understand that complaint.

I'm suprised that it isn't understandable as it is.
I mean, it feels like the show is fulfilling a list of recurring plot elements, themes and archetypes in a way that my first reaction goes "been there done that". It's not that imaginative, even in the smallest of things.

Also, extremely personal disappointment: I wished they kept Mineta as a sneaky no-touching perv instead of reavealing him as the usual gross butt-monkey, but whatever...

Betty

Banned
Great season and I see what many were saying about the extended cast having a lot of presence and importance, excited to see things escalate though.

It refers the ability to show multiple different emotions. The more emotions someone is capable of displaying, the more emotional depth they have. Deku's crying alone doesn't give him this, but it adds. Take it away and you have a lesser character.

How come his character is less if he cries less? Does the amount of crying he does make him a better character? I'm seriously baffled by your logic.

How come a character who expresses many emotions is good? Shouldn't the priority be to handle those emotions well? When Deku is crying and lunging at someone how does that make the scene better? What does Deku crying while jumping at Many Handed Guy accomplish for the scene or character? In other words, how would that scene be less if the tears were removed from his eyes?

Speaking on extreme emotions, how would Explosion Fist Man be any less if he wasn't so abrasive and angry the entire time? The dude never relaxes.

It makes the character more human and relatable. Not all characters need to be power fantasies.

Not crying = power fantasy?

...K.

1- All Might enters and interrupts the bad guys from killing Deku, Tsuyu and Mineta
2- Bakugou, "Hot Coldman" and Kaminari enter and save All Might from the bad guys
3- The reinforcements enter and interrupt the bad guys from killing All Might and Deku

I'm suprised that it isn't understandable as it is.
I mean, it feels like the show is fulfilling a list of recurring plot elements, themes and archetypes in a way that my first reaction goes "been there done that". It's not that imaginative, even in the smallest of things.

Also, extremely personal disappointment: I wished they kept Mineta as a sneaky no-touching perv instead of reavealing him as the usual gross butt-monkey, but whatever...

It's a mixture of comics and shonen fight series of course it's gonna be filled with big hero trope moments that's the staple of both genres. MHA is great because it understands why both those styles of story work and blends them in a really fun way. Manga hype fans hype the more unique stuff that comes later in the manga and the anime's biggest fault was slowly going through the content that is mostly set up.

And I have no idea what you mean by a "post Naruto part 1 world" since post part 1 Naruto is terrible in any format for the most part especially in the anime which even if you skip filler has worse pacing then MHA.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Deku's crying is more noticeable in the anime because of the extended nature of it. In the manga it would be a panel.

Also Deku is literally breaking and fracturing the parts of his body that get the blowback from One for All. Both legs fractured in 15 places all at once, finger completely broken and pulled out of its socket flailing everywhere. Complete hand busted up. I dare anyone to be fully conscious after this shit and not cry. You're a bullshitter if you say you wouldn't.

Daingurse

Deku is an emotional dude around All Might. He pretty much worships him like a god, and looks up to him to a ridiculous extent. Add in all the fucking bone fractures, and I have no issue with the water works. Didn't even stand out to me while watching or reading it. Unlike with Oda and One Piece, where the crying looks disgusting lol.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yea, the crying in one piece is ridiculous, even in serious scenes he used completely cartoony crying and over exaggeration.

How come his character is less if he cries less? Does the amount of crying he does make him a better character? I'm seriously baffled by your logic.

How come a character who expresses many emotions is good? Shouldn't the priority be to handle those emotions well? When Deku is crying and lunging at someone how does that make the scene better? What does Deku crying while jumping at Many Handed Guy accomplish for the scene or character? In other words, how would that scene be less if the tears were removed from his eyes?

Speaking on extreme emotions, how would Explosion Fist Man be any less if he wasn't so abrasive and angry the entire time? The dude never relaxes.

...K.

I mean one could spin those right back, why do they make him less of a character? Because he showing that he still has fear but is willing to sacrifice himself despite that fear to rescue people who need help. If you want to complain that the anime doesn't complete his arc that's fine because it doesn't but that's always the issue with adaptations of manga that plan to tell a characters arc over many years of story. Deku was a victim of severe bullying and racism for the his entire life until shortly after the series begins. Even in just 13 episodes to say the Deku who cried after being a victim of racism and bullying in the first episode is not the same character who got emotional when he knew his hero/teach All Might was going to die unless someone stepped in to save him (Deku was the only one who knew All Might was bluffing). Simply blanket saying "deku cries a lot" is like not seeing the forest for the trees, Deku's emotions add depth to his character and keeps his character consistent with both the origin that was established along with the events that transpired in the manga.

Jintor

I'm not asking what the big damn heroes moments are... I don't understand how they ruin the tension... a big damn heroes moment is catharsis, a release of tension...

Perhaps you could say they overuse 'heroes being saved by other heroes', but seems to me the only other solution you want is for them to lose or power up of their own accord.

also heroes save people. that's literally what they do

/nb i like how you answer one question for subpar and he answers back with like twenty questions. lmao

//edit I don't mean to disparage your opinion playsage, I think MHA is the tropiest tropey that ever did trope. I just don't think that makes it bad and I remained enthralled throughout. Well, I would have if the pacing was better.

Nikokuno

Read the manga.

As a manga over anime adaptation guy, Boku no is a good adaptation, I can't watch this show without complaining. When adaptation are good enough I can sit and enjoy like I did for One Punch Man. But I can't stand anything like One Piece/Naruto anymore because of the animation, the IQ and the fillers.

What is a good adaptation for you?

spiritfox

...K.

All I'm hearing from you is that men should be men and not show emotions. Cause it's manly.

...K.

I mean one could spin those right back, why do they make him less of a character? Because he showing that he still has fear but is willing to sacrifice himself despite that fear to rescue people who need help. If you want to complain that the anime doesn't complete his arc that's fine because it doesn't but that's always the issue with adaptations of manga that plan to tell a characters arc over many years of story. Deku was a victim of severe bullying and racism for the his entire life until shortly after the series begins. Even in just 13 episodes to say the Deku who cried after being a victim of racism and bullying in the first episode is not the same character who got emotional when he knew his hero/teach All Might was going to die unless someone stepped in to save him (Deku was the only one who knew All Might was bluffing). Simply blanket saying "deku cries a lot" is like not seeing the forest for the trees, Deku's emotions add depth to his character and keeps his character consistent with both the origin that was established along with the events that transpired in the manga.

Excessive crying makes the moments where it's appropriate to feel sadness much less deserved. There are moments where it's required and it's pulled off decently then you have him flying through the air or doing something and he's crying while telling you his inner monologue. It's done in an awful manner that retroactively kills any good parts and makes you believe he's just a whiny kid with super powers.

Him being hurt is just a logical step but so is people not crying if their finger breaks. Yeah, it makes sense for someone to feel pain when something breaks, but if you can't find another way to continue the story without putting in these scenes (supposedly they're super needed) then you're not doing a good job with the story or the character. It's the same idea with Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013 where her first kill has some honesty to it then she becomes the Terminator; sure, she needed to kill all those people to survive, but at some point it becomes ridiculous and you wonder if the creative department had any good ideas left.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
So I watched episode 10-13 today and it occurred to me that its basically a re-hash of the beginning of the 1986 Transformer Cartoon movie (that is underrated as all hell but that's another discussing) but by subbing in All Might for Optimus Prime and Deku for Hot Rod you get a different story. In Episode twelve when All Might finally arrives I get that same feeling of relief when you see Optimus Arrive on Earth. The only difference is the ending to the whole conflict..... and realizing that I fell a little bit more in love with this Anime.

manfestival

all I can see is a ton of foreshadowing that all might will eventually die and this is going to become the generic shonen type of story. Basically all might is jiraiya, deku is naruto, whats his dude is sasuke, floating chick is hinata. feels like a bit of the same ol with a comic book twist... very loosely of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom