• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia Anime |OT| Go Beyond! PLUS ULTRA! (No Manga spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not into anime much beyond Dragon Ball and Pokemon while growing up but I did really enjoy One Punch Man and gave this a shot. Is this much crying from the main character normal? It really pissed me off eventually to the point where I just rage quit an episode. I do think All Might is fantastic though. Reminds me of a fun mix of Captain Quark, Johnny Bravo and Mr. Incredible.

I probably won't stick around for season 2 but I thought the premise is cool. It'll be fun to watch some All Might compilations once the series is done.

Best wishes.

Hypron

I'm impatient to receive the first four volumes I ordered. I'll read the rest online after going through those (and I'll keep buying volumes as they come out), but I'm in the mood for reading something physical to start with.

Meffer

all I can see is a ton of foreshadowing that all might will eventually die and this is going to become the generic shonen type of story. Basically all might is jiraiya, deku is naruto, whats his dude is sasuke, floating chick is hinata. feels like a bit of the same ol with a comic book twist... very loosely of course

eheheehheheHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Tunahead

... You're talking about the 4Kids dub right?

No, the original Japanese VA. Every time Usopp has an emotional scene, which is every time he's on screen, he just goes CAW CAW CAW CAW.

Much like the original Japanese VA for Tidus in Final Fantasy X's notorious laughing scene.

Jintor

I'm not into anime much beyond Dragon Ball and Pokemon while growing up but I did really enjoy One Punch Man and gave this a shot. Is this much crying from the main character normal? It really pissed me off eventually to the point where I just rage quit an episode. I do think All Might is fantastic though. Reminds me of a fun mix of Captain Quark, Johnny Bravo and Mr. Incredible.

I probably won't stick around for season 2 but I thought the premise is cool. It'll be fun to watch some All Might compilations once the series is done.

Best wishes.

The amount of crying is definitely excessive for shonen but probably about average for a life where you get shat on your entire life and then suddenly all your dreams come true except your limbs explode

Squalor

I don't care if they need to take more time off, but season two needs to be twice as long.

Fuck this 12-episode-season nonsense for good anime, haha.

Chaos17

all I can see is a ton of foreshadowing that all might will eventually die and this is going to become the generic shonen type of story. Basically all might is jiraiya, deku is naruto, whats his dude is sasuke, floating chick is hinata. feels like a bit of the same ol with a comic book twist... very loosely of course

Naruto wasn't generic neither Bleach was until they fall into a pattern of story progression. They were "fresh" and that's why they were a hit quickly when they were released. Unfortunaly in the long term both of them showed plot weakness and followed a pattern in their story telling really "random" at some point.

Just trying to say, it's a bit early to jump to conclusion since we've only season 1 so far.

I want Deku to stop hurt himself.

manfestival

Naruto wasn't generic neither Bleach was until they fall into a pattern of story progression. They were "fresh" and that's why they were a hit quickly when they were released. Unfortunaly in the long term both of them showed plot weakness and followed a pattern in their story telling really "random" at some point.

Just trying to say, it's a bit early to jump to conclusion since we've only season 1 so far.

I was just pointing out general similarities. The general plot for the show cannot even be like naruto for many reasons so its safe to say that I am not expecting it to become naruto.

Was Naruto fresh when it was copy pasting Hunter x Hunter? Or fresh once it deviated and became pretty awful?

TimmiT

If for paced better you mean rushed af. There's no need.

If they adapted everything up to end of the Stain arc it'd be 38 chapters. If it'd be 12/13 episodes then they'd have to cover about three chapters per episode. Season 1 covered one or two chapters per episode and as a result it felt like it was slowly paced. They could probably cover it like that if they don't have as many flashbacks and characters standing around doing nothing as in the first season.

T-Rex.

Banned
FWIW (I won't post any spoilers obviously) I started reading the manga after the anime ended and people couldn't be more wrong about it turning into a generic shonen. I'm currently on chapter 76 and it just gets better and better.

ill take generic shonen over slice of life poop

my inner 12 year old needs it
lmao, slice of life is indeed poop

Moaradin

Yep. It's already one of the best shonen manga currently running and it's still relatively early in its lifespan. The potential for this series is fucking high.

VeeP

People are calling this generic? Wtf. The anime is great and the manga is great.

And for whoever above said the first 13 episodes of Naruto's shit on the first season of My Hero Academia, I disagree. But even if that was true, the Anime at least seems a lot more focused and better pace than Naruto's. And there probably won't be hundreds of filler episodes.

Daingurse

Yep. It's already one of the best shonen manga currently running and it's still relatively early in its lifespan. The potential for this series is fucking high.

Really can't wait for season 2 after catching up with the manga. Lol, folks haven't seen shit yet.

Playsage

ill take generic shonen over slice of life poop

my inner 12 year old needs it
Are you comparing a target audience to a genre?
Also, BECK is a shounen slice of life which is a better and more interesting read than 99% of Shonen Jump's publications.
Read it

FluxWaveZ

I've become wary of hyping up future content by manga readers when it comes to anime. The sentiment being expressed and hinted at is that "things are just getting started" and/or "you haven't seen anything yet." While that totally works as the thought towards Gintama or Hunter X Hunter for their dramatic tonal shifts and upping the tension without it always just being a matter of enlarging the scope, I have to wonder if MHA really does become a different beast as it moves along or if the structure and ambience remains the same as it has been in these 13 episodes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've become wary of hyping up future content by manga readers when it comes to anime. The sentiment being expressed and hinted at is that "things are just getting started" and/or "you haven't seen anything yet." While that totally works as the thought towards Gintama or Hunter X Hunter for their dramatic tonal shifts and upping the tension without it always just being a matter of enlarging the scope, I have to wonder if MHA really does become a different beast as it moves along or if the structure and ambience remains the same as it has been in these 13 episodes.

You are just going to have to wait and see. I wouldn't say there is a tonal shift, there doesn't need to be, but the next two arcs are awesome.

You could always just read the manga and find out for yourself.

Moaradin

MHA just does a fantastic job with building on its own foundation. It doesn't become some completely different thing, but it doesn't need to. The way it develops the story and characters is very good. The manga also just moves at a pretty crazy pace. There's no dull moments.

The sentiment being expressed and hinted at is that "things are just getting started" and/or "you haven't seen anything yet."

They're wrong.

The manga is good from the start, it's not even a slow burn or anything. The anime adaptation is just not very good at showing the things that made the first dozen chapters of the manga interesting and instead did as much to enhance the flaws or negate the good parts as it could.

If you read the manga and don't like the first...like 10 or so chapters then sorry but you're not gonna like the next 80 no matter how good they are. Just isn't for you, which is what it is.

Just ignore the "Oh boy can't wait til you guys see the realness" posts. Much like every fandom everywhere people can't help but due that "tee hee, I know something they don't, let me SUBTLY slide it in that something happens, destroying any and all tension or surprise when something actually does happen"

Moaradin

Don't really agree with that at all. I didn't hate the first chapters, but they certainly wouldn't sell me on the manga like the later chapters did. I didn't become hooked until the arc after the one the anime covered. And it's only been better since then.

cntr

Banned
yeah basically what Moaradin said

I loved the series from the first chapter, but what the anime's covered is effectively a prologue

Of course later chapters are better but that's because it's a natural development of building on the established basework of the series. At it's heart it's still the same series, the storytelling and pacing was always good and so were the characters but now that we're 80 chapters in instead of 10 you know more about the characters and they've been developed more which leads you into having better stories due to more involvement and connection to them. It's just natural progression not like the dude got better at writing.

Moaradin

It feels like a natural progression BECAUSE of the good writing. More chapters doesn't automatically mean it's better. How many long running shonen fall apart and mishandles its characters? Just look at Naruto and Bleach.

Not saying that can't ever happen with MHA, but so far it's been great.

...what are you even arguing? That's exactly what I said. He's a good writer, that's why it's good. The reason later chapters are better are because due to his consistent writing the stuff he establishes in the first couple chapters builds to those later chapters.

That's why I'm saying if someone doesn't like the first couple chapters they're not going to magically like the later chapters.

Moaradin

Sure that's easy to say in hindsight. But as someone who just gets into the manga or anime, it's not exactly clear if it could live up to the potential. A lot of the first reactions in this thread is proof of that.

The manga always had loads of potential, but I didn't say "Okay, this shit is REALLY good" until the next arc.

Raxus

Why? They are both shounen and comparable. The first 13 episodes of Naruto shit on this

I'd like to remind you that Zabuza's arc didn't end for 19 episodes and the first episodes of Naruto are rougher than you remember. They reaired Naruto again on Toonami recently so it was much easier to compare the two. I love the first season of Naruto sans filler hell but much like MHA it really doesn't come out to shine until we reach the second major arc/mini arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom