• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you like western comics or manga, are you reading My Hero Academia?

I like Western Comics and I saw the pilot of the anime and thought it was woefully generic and uninteresting. Mediocre stuff.

I guess I could keep watching in the hopes of it getting better, but I have a lot of other content I could be consuming instead. The opportunity cost is always so high!

Same. The high praise completely baffled me.

I just watched the anime yesterday and it blew me the fuck away. I kinda want to start reading the manga now so I can get more of it. It's crazy how I ended up caring about all the characters, even the side ones. And the main character, so interesting to see an omega personality guy crawl his way to greatness.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yes, yes, and no.

Although I did watch the first couple episodes of the anime. I couldn't get into at all. I'm actually firing up Hulu right now so I can give it another chance. If it grabs me this time, I'll snag some of the volumes from Viz.

cntr

Banned
one problem with the anime is how it fails to get across how fast Deku goes from a dweeb to a badass within the first 40 chapters

My hero academia is cookie cutter,run of mill, more of the same, vanilla shounen that follows very closly follows the foot steps of it's predecessors, never taking one step out of line.

it's not bad it's a fairy good excution of the template but it's as much of a fresh air as the dusty air in the London underground subway station.

The manga artist really needs to take chances and start looking else where for insperation instead of other people's works ( he needs to take a holiday).

I'll look forward to kohei horikoshi next manga if he becomes confident enough to do his own thing.

Now Daisuke Ashihara's World trigger serise, now that man is the chosen one, his the man that will carry the shounen action genre on it's back for the next generation, taking it to the promise land while breaking boundaries along the way, like the other greats have done before him (Yoshihiro Togashi,Eiichiro Oda, George morikawa).

This sounds a bit harsh but along the lines of what I think about the series. (Granted, I've only read the fist 4 volumes).

Still decent fun though. Maybe about the level of pre Chuunin exam Naruto or pre Soul Society Bleach.

JGCD

Neo Member
The show/manga is alright but it always bugged me how the way its worded
I thought he would be a hero without powers but then gets powers
And the counterargument I keep getting is that he would be like batman but is that such a bad thing? He could be like the shikamaru(chuinn exam) of anime (just using his wit and limited ability)
I also get that his power is limited and he has to use his wit already but to me it ain't the same
Other than that, its a pretty decent show with a great pace but kinda bland characters

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
And the counterargument I keep getting is that he would be like batman but is that such a bad thing? He could be like the shikamaru(chuinn exam) of anime (just using his wit and limited ability)
I also get that his power is limited and he has to use his wit already but to me it ain't the same
Other than that, its a pretty decent show with a great pace but kinda bland characters

See, that is what I was expecting too. Izuku having limitations on the powers he does get is just like every other shonen series. I wanted to see him be inspired by All Might and just apply anyway, Quirk or no Quirk. I get that hes different in that he already embodies the selfless nature of a true hero when push comes to shove. But I guess I was hoping he would stay normal and use his intelligence and extensive knowledge of quirks to persevere.

I do love the idea of a Japanese series being inspired by Western comics. The over the top American machismo of All Might is pretty funny. I'm still way early in the anime, so I haven't seen much of the supporting cast. The main character is decent for a lead.

mdubs

Banned
Can't speak for the animes, but in terms of the manga I enjoy MHA much more than One Punch Man. Both are great though, but MHA is a fantastic mix of your typical shonen battle-manga with American superhero influences, and with some great character development to boot. Probably my favourite ongoing series

Tace

Listen. Guys who are on the fence about this. I've seen the anime and am caught up on the manga.

It is absolutely worth your time. The main protagonist reminds me of Peter Parker in a lot of ways, especially how plain he appears and how he uses his intelligence in fights. If you have ever played Persona 4 and fell in love with the characters, you will find a very similar experience here with MHA. Deku's classmates are given plenty of time to shine. Also I'll echo everyone's statements about how well paced everything is and how much content is in one chapter.

If you like shonen anime, it's the best executed shonen I have seen since one piece/dragon ball. I do think it is already better than Naruto. Lol at bleach.

If you like comic books, you'll love the world, character designs, and awesome quirks the villains and heroes have.

Seriously, this manga is a labor of love.

Plus, Google an image of Stain and tell me that mofo isn't badass!!!! Slayven, this one is targeted at you.

Cwarrior, I'm curious as to why you think it doesn't do anything new. I will agree it had plenty of the usual shonen trappings, but I think the western influences really help it stand apart. Have you read any of the manga?

zoukka

Yeah I read manga in steady intervals. These came just this week:

ogAVYfm.jpg

I collect all things Tezuka. One Punch Man was fun but maybe not good enough to warrant more purchases from me.

Riposte

Real talk, the best manga and anime are usually the ones that are western influenced.

My Hero Academia is like a fusion of battle shounen and western superheroes that cancels out the negatives, it's great.

Besides the visual themes and nods, I don't really see how it's like cape comics. It's through and through battle shonen, very competently done at that.

The same is true for One-Punch Man, although that flips things on its head.

EDIT: In other words, MHA is as much about superheroes as One Piece is about pirates, if not less really.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
if manga was printed in color, i'd read it. i might check this out at some point, though - i do love me some western cape comics.

Cosmozone

The title has just started being published in my country so I've just read the first volume which is unfortunate since it usually takes two volumes until I can make a good judgment. So it's only a "so far so good" deal now. It's definitely not bad, I can say as much. Can't see the "fresh air" argument as some previous posters as well. It's your standard battle shounen. It even has a school setting with exams, rivals and stuff. Maybe the hype comes from the setting tugging the right strings with western readers that have nostalgic feelings with comic book superheroes.

But I'm a manga fan and I'll read up at least the next few volumes. If it's as good as Naruto I'll probably continue reading it. I read Naruto until the end despite it being just coasting during most of its run. My current favorite shonens are Toriko (oldschool) and Magi (the real fresh air). If MHA gets at least as good as Toriko, that'd be great. I really, really doubt it'll be able to top Magi, though. That one wipes the floor with the likes of Naruto and Bleach and rivals/surpasses One Piece.

I like Western Comics and I saw the pilot of the anime and thought it was woefully generic and uninteresting. Mediocre stuff.

I guess I could keep watching in the hopes of it getting better, but I have a lot of other content I could be consuming instead. The opportunity cost is always so high!
I don't think there's a single series I've judged off of one episode, hell the first episode didn't even finish the first chapter from the manga.
If you read this series looking around ever corner to scream "that's generic or this is a trope!" You probably won't enjoy it, but the series is an interesting and exciting take on already covered ground with a lot of new spice and incredibly fun characters.
It appeals to manga fans all across the board, from casuals, to Shonen readers, to Senien readers, to people who made complaints like you but came around, some of the harshest critics on forums love this series.
I love it as well, tropes, generic aspects, and all.

Eumi

Tried it and didn't like it. The opening chapters seemed very confused on the message it wanted to send. Like, I think it was trying to say 'you can achieve anything if you try hard enough!' but the MC is literally worthless until somebody gives him a unique superpower.

Also it was boring, but that's probably just my bad taste.

cHaotix8

Co-signing on MHA. If you like shonen manga, this is one of the best. All your favorite shonen tropes executed well!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Found it interesting until the villain arc, which I felt was woefully boring and I lost all interest. I felt that would end up being the make and break arc for me and wasn't invested in the story enough to give it more chances. Seems decent enough either way.

I only really read Berserk.
I used to collect Batman books, have pretty much every one from late 80s up to flashpoint, but dropped off with all the reboots.
I liked Naruto (and Shonen in general), but it kinda pushed me away when I couldn't follow what the hell was happen during big fight scenes in the final arc of Naruto.

I'd love to find a new comic to read and get sunk into though. Might check this out.

cntr

Banned
EDIT: In other words, MHA is as much about superheroes as One Piece is about pirates, if not less really.
To me, most cape comics are terrible at being about heroes. MHA's superhero setting isn't just using heroism as an excuse to fight, the manga really is about being a hero and treats it as more than being the fightingest. It conveys the feeling you get when waking up on Saturday morning and watching heroes be heroes.

MHA also uses a lot of tropes and visual techniques that are more common in comics over manga, relatively subtle stuff though.

If you read this series looking around ever corner to scream "that's generic or this is a trope!" You probably won't enjoy it, but the series is an interesting and exciting take on already covered ground with a lot of new spice and incredibly fun characters.
Yeah, if you care about nonsense like "being generic" or "tropes", then you won't like MHA. MHA sells itself on good execution, not being "original".

It's been awhile since I have been this invested in a series. I just find everything about it just soooo good. It seems like I just can't get enough. Also it helps that every god damn chapter is so amazing. MHA is always going UP right now.

See, that is what I was expecting too. Izuku having limitations on the powers he does get is just like every other shonen series. I wanted to see him be inspired by All Might and just apply anyway, Quirk or no Quirk. I get that hes different in that he already embodies the selfless nature of a true hero when push comes to shove. But I guess I was hoping he would stay normal and use his intelligence and extensive knowledge of quirks to persevere.

He would've probably died early on if he had no powers. Although there is a manga describing exactly what you guys are looking for called M×0

jon bones

does this manga have a charming side cast?

looking for a fun new comic with a likable cast, preferably some good female characters

cntr

Banned

looking for a fun new comic with a likable cast, preferably some good female characters
Yes, this is one of the best manga to read on both counts. Especially how the female characters are written.

The author is young and western influenced, so he's really progressive for a shounen.

jon bones

thanks for your thoughts guys, looks like i'm in

another question - comixology has volumes 1-5 up digitally but it looks like the shonen jump magazine comes out every week and is only a dollar.

is it possible to read the collected trades & then switch to weekly? what issue of the magazine do i start with then for the 6th arc?

Yes, this is one of the best manga to read on both counts. Especially how the female characters are written.

The author is young and western influenced, so he's really progressive for a shounen.

nice, this is what i like to hear

Yeah, the cast owns. Comic owns in general, though IMO it takes a little while to get rolling.

just read chapter 2 on the subway, really enjoying it

jon bones

Alright, chapter 4 was real good too.

Kind of an interesting swerve from where I thought they were going:

So he does get a quirk, albeit more like a Captain Mar-Vell style thing than an Inhuman/Mutant thing. I initially thought this was going to be about him being the Tim Drake esque tactician leading a team of powereds but that wouldn't lead to very much 'Shonen' style power ups.

cntr

Banned
To be honest, Deku not getting a quirk would be less interesting than what we get with MHA. Helps that there's no shounen power-ups in the Dragonball sense.

cntr

Banned
Yes, I say that, and I mean it. It's more complicated than pure power or a lack of consequences.

I can assume what you're referring to, and
Goku never nearly cripples himself because he used his full power.

Mesoian

Yes, I say that, and I mean it. It's more complicated than pure power or a lack of consequences.

I can assume what you're referring to, and
Goku never nearly cripples himself because he used his full power.

Like...the only thing I'll say about MHA is that for a manga that tries to put real consequences on the limitations of certain quirks...
they still did Detroit Smash 1000% consequence free

The current arc where they're coming up with special moves and getting new gear feels a lot like a shonen power up, even if the net result is the same powers being refocused.

You'll enjoy it. It is a good book thus far.

cntr

Banned
If you think that was consequence free, you have a very different definition of "consequence" than I do; it's having consequences in the current chapter.

I specifically said "in the Dragonball sense" because equipment and technique power-ups are a different deal to straight power-ups in execution. The former requires cleverness in application, the latter is just a power-up.

thanks to this thread after my friend took me to the Spring Tavern last night i drunkenly ordered every volume of MHA...and One Piece./...and Naruto...and Claymore....

that said MHA is charming so far.

One Piece and Naruto?

Did you bankrupt yourself?

Sorta.

I'm sending them back...I haven't read much manga (Fullmetal Alchemist, reading Monster, read some of One Punch Man etc) but I was open to suggestions for new stuff. I have little interest in One Piece normally :p

Edit: I want to ask but...my friend who's more into Manga than I am loves Berserk...and I know a lot of people like it and it's quite acclaimed but is it worth it for the story if some of the sex/rape/gore stuff turns me off? Maybe my friend has a creepy way of describing the scenes but I guess is, are those things mainly shock value or do they contribute something to define a scummy character etc.

If you think that was consequence free, you have a very different definition of "consequence" than I do; it's having consequences in the current chapter.

I specifically said "in the Dragonball sense" because equipment and technique power-ups are a different deal to straight power-ups in execution. The former requires cleverness in application, the latter is just a power-up.

My feelings as well.

Mesoian

Becoming more familiar with one's limitations and developing better strategy is not a consequence. It's learning.

Deku should have lost his fucking arm after using Smash 1000% He got off scott free. Again. As the only character who should NEVER come away scott free

cntr

Banned
I strongly disagree. You can have consequences more complex than "lose your arm", and that's what the series did, and is still doing. It's not the level of "consequence" you wanted, but that doesn't mean it was free, and I prefer the series's nuanced take on it compared to a blunt and pointless "lose your limbs". Same goes for every other overuse of his powers.

cntr

Banned
Up to Chapter 21, so the first two volumes and a bit of the third. I'd just read those chapters whether or not you've watched the anime, since it's not much.

Nightbird

Becoming more familiar with one's limitations and developing better strategy is not a consequence. It's learning.

Deku should have lost his fucking arm after using Smash 1000% He got off scott free. Again. As the only character who should NEVER come away scott free

he never went beyond 100% Horikoshi later clarified that he drew more zeroes to emulate Deku screaming "one hundreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed".
Also he did get some pretty scars and the warning that after doing that same stunt once or twice again he'll loses the ability to use his arms for ever.

Top Bottom