• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox backward compatibility program returns with 76 new games

I've seen Oddworld munches Odysey and Beutiful Katamari on back compat before, or at least they were rereleased as part of Gold at some point.
DOA4 I can move to to the back compat shelf with all my others.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's 2 years in France if I remember, It's better I wait some time before doing a return ( bought it day one ) now is packed with new games releases, maybe in january / february, if it's only DVD's games that's not a huge bummer, I still can bought them digitally when on sales
Yyou can check warranty status on Xbox Support website. At least here in the states. Give it a whirl!

rubenburgt

Alright. The console wars is over guys.
Xbox clearly won.

Sorry for your loss Sega, but try releasing a console the next time.

Jokes aside, this is pretty cool.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The story intro for Gunvalkyrie is so bat shit insane lol. Love it.

Miku, did you play it back in the day ? If not, how are you liking it ?
Played it back in the day and...i liked it (loved Smilebit games, that 60fps gameplay...) but i'm afraid that if i buy it/play it now i will hate it since i don't think it has aged well compared to other games of that era - with the controls being the culprit here as they weren't good to begin with, also, with the shit-tastic quality of the new xbox controllers, pressing in the analogue stick to perform a roll 4576587 times a minute that the game requires i think i'm gonna bust my joypad g'dammit :D

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Miku, did you play it back in the day ? If not, how are you liking it ?
Played it back in the day and...i liked it (loved Smilebit games, that 60fps gameplay...) but i'm afraid that if i buy it/play it now i will hate it since i don't think it has aged well compared to other games of that era - with the controls being the culprit here as they weren't good to begin with, also, with the shit-tastic quality of the new xbox controllers, pressing in the analogue stick to perform a roll 4576587 times a minute that the game requires i think i'm gonna bust my joypad g'dammit :D
I played it back in the day. The controls are a bit of a nightmare but I still love the game with all its jank lol. Just use the lock on shot and dash around. The music is hilarious too. Im really into it but yeah, most people should maybe watch out.

Surprisingly the game has quick resume too.

Last edited:

HYDE

Banned
Besides the Otogi games and Skate 2, this update is ok.
Original Ninja Gaiden and Halos are noticeably absent.

Aldynes

Could be the laser. I am not an expert on lasers by any means but its possible that the laser for DVDs(blu rays use different laser I believe) died. Under warranty?
Thanks a lot my friend for your help, I really appreciate it :lollipop_winking: gonna send it to microsoft for repairs when it's quiet on the game releases side, it's under warranty until january 2023

Robochobo

No Oddworld Strangers Wrath
PEBoWjK.png

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I played it back in the day. The controls are a bit of a nightmare but I still love the game with all its jank lol. Just use the lock on shot and dash around. The music is hilarious too. Im really into it but yeah, most people should maybe watch out.

Surprisingly the game has quick resume too.

Cheers mate/gal ;)

Don't know, i really wanted for the Otogi games to be BC but at 20 bucks each i think i'm going to wait a little bit.
Might as well get Binary domain sice it runs at 60fps now (don't know about the resolution) and it's only 15 eurotrons.

Boys, this is really a bittersweet moment, i mean, yeah, we got 70 games and all (with many of them being good) but this is the end and it's a g'damn shame that MANY other games won't return.I'd have liked for Chainsaw Lollipop (licensing nightmare pt1), Kingdom Under fire Circle of doom, JSRF (licensing nightmare pt2), both of the Ace Combat games (6 & Assault Horizon, licensing nightmare pt 3), which brings me to : why the fuck are the Armored Core games not on the list ? I mean, they released the Otogi games ffs, why not the Armored Core ones too ? they're all from FROM SOFT g'dammit and there's no music licenses or otherwise to speak of, really strange...Same for JSRF,, yeah, there's music involved but they released JGR a couple of years back with no problems, i just don't get it.

Bridges

Sad fact that this is the last batch and we won’t se games like Rez, Fez and Crimson Skies again. But seeing these 76 game with games featuring FEAR and DOA is fantastic.

THANK YOU MICROSOFT AND XBOX TEAM.
I too wish for more, but luckily Fez has been part of BC for quite some time now.

Anime-Vix

Sad fact that this is the last batch and we won’t se games like Rez, Fez and Crimson Skies again. But seeing these 76 game with games featuring FEAR and DOA is fantastic.

THANK YOU MICROSOFT AND XBOX TEAM.
Crimson skies is available and on game pass.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Why are there regional differences in 2021?! Good job turning awesome news into something bad! I tried faking an US adress with some generator, still won’t let me buy Ridge Racer 6, it just show an error message 😕

cireza

Awesome work form MS on BC. Even if it reaches an end, this last batch includes several games and enhancements I was waiting for, especially on SEGA published games.

Both Otogi and Gunvalkyrie is an awesome addition. 60fps on the three Sonic games as well. Fantastic.

nush

Why are there regional differences in 2021?! Good job turning awesome news into something bad! I tried faking an US adress with some generator, still won’t let me buy Ridge Racer 6, it just show an error message 😕
I don't think the games are live yet? Paid for DOA2 at the weekend and it didn't let me download it.

intbal

Couldn't find my Timesplitters 3 disc. Installing Max Payne 2. Maybe I'll make this my first ever Twitch stream.

DonJorginho

Banned
It will probably come back, they have to make it available online for sale unless they specifically say it's did only. Other games came back that way I remember.
let's hope, I sold my Series X and kept my Series S so this would be a real kick up the ass if they don't come back 🤣

Fredrik

I don't think the games are live yet? Paid for DOA2 at the weekend and it didn't let me download it.
Hope you’re right this is too much of an emotional roller coaster for me, haven’t played a Ridge Racer in 15 years, I was so excited to see the BC news. If you can’t buy it just because you’re not in the US then woohoo for US people and fuck the rest of us 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

nush

Hope you’re right this is too much of an emotional roller coaster for me, haven’t played a Ridge Racer in 15 years, I was so excited to see the BC news. If you can’t buy it just because you’re not in the US then woohoo for US people and fuck the rest of us 🤷‍♂️

Ironically the disc is region free.

Anyway, finally I can hopefully lay this disc to rest away in the folder of games that I have digital versions of now from it's long term life as the disc I have always in the drive of my 360.

HoHEHF0.jpg

Top Bottom