• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox backward compatibility program returns with 76 new games

35cent

Good thing I kept my physical copies of Max Payne 1 and 2 but they're in my parents house so they'll have to wait until Christmas. I can tide myself over with Timesplitters in the meantime though!

35cent

Do prices of the original physical copies tend to go up or down after they are announced for BC?
I can't remember which game it was but some have gone up in price after a BC announcement yes. I know the shop that did it was CEX which is a UK/Ireland store so I'm not sure how relevant that is to you.

RAIDEN1

Still no PGR.

mad the rock GIF
Still no Shaolin Monks!!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yup, and the games used to work on the console before, they're all backward compatibles titles, I've tried setting the console on default facotry settings even erasing all data, no luck
Im fairly certain the disc is simply a license check as it downloads the data it needs and runs it from the drive. So as long as the discs are in even acceptable condition I would say the disc is not actually the issue.

And you said you tried multiple discs correct?

When you did a factory reset, did you do the one that keeps your data or wipe it all?

intbal

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And yet, I'm calling her a liar. At least in one instance.
Brute Force.
Digital Anvil was a first party studio. Microsoft owned the developer. Microsoft owns the IP. The game had no licensed music.
"Technical Constraints" are irrelevant, since it's an OG Xbox game.
Yeah that one is criminal. I loved that game.

Aldynes

Im fairly certain the disc is simply a license check as it downloads the data it needs and runs it from the drive. So as long as the discs are in even acceptable condition I would say the disc is not actually the issue.

And you said you tried multiple discs correct?

When you did a factory reset, did you do the one that keeps your data or wipe it all?
I've tried multiple discs, Xbox originals and 360 games, perfect condition and working on older systems I still got so that's not a disc issue.

The factory reset wiped everything, still no luck...

What I don't understand is that she reads Xbox One discs still and used to read my backward titles fine

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I've tried multiple discs, Xbox originals and 360 games, perfect condition and working on older systems I still got so that's not a disc issue.

The factory reset wiped everything, still no luck...

What I don't understand is that she reads Xbox One discs still and used to read my backward titles fine
The Xbox 360 and Xbox games work a bit different in terms of how they are run. This seems like software issues. Have you tried the cache clearing?

(taken from redditt)

You could try the "Clear local Xbox 360 storage" option under Settings - System - Storage.
That will delete your Xbox 360 profile and local Xbox 360 game saves from the console, but as long as you've been playing while the console is connected to Live, your saves will be backed up in the cloud and will re-sync as you play each game.
Once you've done that, when you launch a 360 game for the first time it will download your 360 profile again and hopefully then it'll work OK.

Last edited:

Aldynes

The Xbox 360 and Xbox games work a bit different in terms of how they are run. This seems like software issues. Have you tried the cache clearing?

(taken from redditt)

You could try the "Clear local Xbox 360 storage" option under Settings - System - Storage.
That will delete your Xbox 360 profile and local Xbox 360 game saves from the console, but as long as you've been playing while the console is connected to Live, your saves will be backed up in the cloud and will re-sync as you play each game.
Once you've done that, when you launch a 360 game for the first time it will download your 360 profile again and hopefully then it'll work OK.
Tried it just now, doesn't work either :(

intbal

A bit of advice.
If you want to own physical copies of these BC games, hit Ebay now. Prices will go up tremendously. Especially for the games that sold poorly and there aren't a lot of copies out in the wild (Advent Rising, et cetera).

Bridges

Bittersweet to hear this is it, but it's a good list.

Still wanting stuff like El Shaddai and Sonic '06 that aren't likely to get remasters, saddens me they might be forever doomed to old hardware.

Hands down though the best feature of the Xbox One and I'm very thankful they kept it found as long as they did.

bender

What time is it?
Can you not purchase Max Payne 3 digitally?

My cart so far: Otogi, Otogi 2, Max Payne, Max Payne 2, Gunvalkyrie, Beautiful Katamari

PhaseJump

Banned
Maybe someone here on GAF can help me, my Series X still recognize Xbox one games or Xbox series games discs, but don't recognize or even display a message for my Xbox originals discs or Xbox 360, the console used to recognize them when I bought it last year, then one day I had to eject and put the discs a few times before she would run them, and now don't even reads them.

I've tried 20-ish different games, no success, each of them are in perfect condition and works perfectly on my older Xbox 360 slim and original Xbox.

Anyone have that problem or read something similar?

Have you tried to run old DVD & BluRay movies?

If DVDs aren't working, it might explain or narrow down some drive failure.

Kuranghi

That's it by the way.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck *screams internally in Burnout Revenge*

I want 4K B:R, I have a feeling increasing resolution would break a lot of the screen effects though and thats why they never did it. Or just the music licenses...

• Alan Wake
  • Assassin’s Creed
  • Binary Domain
  • Black College Football Xperience: Doug Williams Ed
  • Darksiders
  • Dead Space 2
  • Dead Space 3
  • Disney’s Chicken Little
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Dragon Age II
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • F.E.A.R.
  • F.E.A.R. 3
  • Fable Anniversary
  • Fable III
  • Fallout 3
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Far Cry 3
  • Final Fantasy XIII-2
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War: Judgment
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Kameo: Elements of Power
  • Lego The Lord of the Rings
  • Medal of Honor: Airborne
  • Mirror’s Edge
  • Nier
  • Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
  • Rock of Ages
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
  • Sonic Generations
  • Sonic Unleashed
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  • Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment
How does Ass creed hold up these days?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Still the same, no differences, that's very weird I guess the "DVD" discs are the culprit? Since she reads Blue rays fine
Thats a good point. I forgot 360 games were DVDs for some reason. DVD movie doesnt work either?

makaveli60

Don't get me wrong. 3 is also great. But 2 is just on another level. You're always in control of the character.

Like mention before, 3 takes this control way too often from you. This combined with unresponsive movement due to fancy animations and reliance on cover kills the flow of the action.

I'm not sure how fun it will be on a controller, the game requires pixel perfect accuracy sometimes.

That bullet time reload looks funny today and it never made sense but it was awesome back in its day.

Andodalf

Banned
How does Ass creed hold up these days?

Looks decent enough, the gameplay isn't great but it's still a fun experience. Ignore the extra side content as in this game it is quite literally the same little things over and over again with no changes 50 times. The original AC has the side content people these days say the series does now. Stick to the main line and its a fun >10 hour experience.

Aldynes

Thats a good point. I forgot 360 games were DVDs for some reason. DVD movie doesnt work either?
Don't have any laying around haha, but I'm gonna try a Wii game or other DVD based thing, in the meantime I had bought (again) splinter cell games in the past weeks to have them in digital format and they works fine, even other backward compatible titles, it's maybe DVD related, the console don't want thoses anymore, the sound she makes when reading them is like a debut spinning sound then stops, do it again, then a brief sound like she's done with it

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Don't have any laying around haha, but I'm gonna try a Wii game or other DVD based thing, in the meantime I had bought (again) splinter cell games in the past weeks to have them in digital format and they works fine, even other backward compatible titles, it's maybe DVD related, the console don't want thoses anymore, the sound she makes when reading them is like a debut spinning sound then stops, do it again, then a brief sound like she's done with it
Could be the laser. I am not an expert on lasers by any means but its possible that the laser for DVDs(blu rays use different laser I believe) died. Under warranty?

Last edited:

Aldynes

Could be the laser. I am not an expert on lasers by any means but its possible that the laser for DVDs(blu rays use different laser I believe) died. Under warranty?
It's 2 years in France if I remember, It's better I wait some time before doing a return ( bought it day one ) now is packed with new games releases, maybe in january / february, if it's only DVD's games that's not a huge bummer, I still can bought them digitally when on sales

Top Bottom