• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox backward compatible games program ends today. No more games.

Was really hoping for Lollipop Chainsaw, Project Gotham Racing (any of them), and JSRF but it would be asinine to not be happy with everything they got on the list especially since some of the games aren’t on PC at all like Gears.

Gonna be downloading Ridge Racer later for sure.

MrFunSocks

Banned
What about Quake 2 & 4?
They own the licensing on those. Oh well, I'm happy for what we got.
Quake 4 was made by Raven Software and published by Activision. Quake 2 was published by Activision. I'd say that's where the legal problems are.

This is sad to hear but still have to recognize what an absolutely incredible and surprising thing this BC was. They're wizards the people that did this, something that most people said wasn't possible. Unfortunately music and car licensing are the bane of video game BC existence, so we don't get the old forza's, Need for speeds, PGR's, etc.

Last edited:

intbal

Quake 4 was made by Raven Software and published by Activision. Quake 2 was published by Activision. I'd say that's where the legal problems are.

This is sad to hear but still have to recognize what an absolutely incredible and surprising thing this BC was. They're wizards the people that did this, something that most people said wasn't possible. Unfortunately music and car licensing are the bane of video game BC existence, so we don't get the old forza's, Need for speeds, PGR's, etc.

Quake 4 had two releases. First by Activision, then it was rereleased by Bethesda after that acquisition. It ought to be fully legal for MS/Bethesda to add it to BC without any approval from Activision.

But seriously though, Why Isn't Sony and Nintendo doing what Xbox is doing when it comes to backwords compat?
All I ever hear about is how greedy they are, but if they were do to this they would make even more money right? Do they just not want to sell their older games any more? It's even worse in Nintendo's case on account of that online only rental service they call NSO which I will not be renewing when it expires.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
PGR4boxart.jpg

pour-one-out-so-long.gif

anthony2690

Banned
I feel like they've got 99% of the games people actually want to play or revisit.

Obviously there is some outliers that will never happen like jsrf etc that I can imagine have licensing issues with music etc.

I think they've done a really good job tbh :)

Kacho

Makes sense to wrap it up now. They got a lot of games people wanted and MS is about to be firing on all cylinders with first party games again. Now the BC team can focus solely on updating older games with FPS boosts.

nush

I wonder if there is a chance LEGO LOTR will come back now.

In theory yes, because when they make the games backwards compatible they recompile them and give them a new executable. That legally makes it a new game and it needs publisher agreement that they can distribute it. The backwards compatible games do not run off the disc but download that new version, the disc is just the key.

Now there are exceptions to this like Doom 3 BFG edition that are disc only but they are marked on the master list that way with an "*".

Lego LOTR isnt.

szrZ4gH.png

Banned
But seriously though, Why Isn't Sony and Nintendo doing what Xbox is doing when it comes to backwords compat?
All I ever hear about is how greedy they are, but if they were do to this they would make even more money right? Do they just not want to sell their older games any more? It's even worse in Nintendo's case on account of that online only rental service they call NSO which I will not be renewing when it expires.

because it's not easy to do and Sony most likely doesn't see any benefit to it financially.

the thing is, if a company feels save from its competition, it will often do the bare minimum to keep its status. Microsoft has to catch up, so they do everything they can to do so.

Kilau

In theory yes, because when they make the games backwards compatible they recompile them and give them a new executable. That legally makes it a new game and it needs publisher agreement that they can distribute it. The backwards compatible games do not run off the disc but download that new version, the disc is just the key.

Now there are exceptions to this like Doom 3 BFG edition that are disc only but they are marked on the master list that way with an "*".

Lego LOTR isnt.

szrZ4gH.png
Oh that's interesting. Weird that Peter Jackson's King Kong isn't on that list. It's playable but via disc only.

EDMIX

It would of been fantastic to get every game but obviously that was never going to happen.
Cant argue against what they have done with BC though, no one else is close.

I agree they did a good job, but to say no one else is close? Da fuck?

Yea bruv, NATIVE BC is better on several systems and PC is better period.

So yea, many did come "close" and surpass what this was as a few systems have native BC.

Last edited:

intbal

Phil loves those games too, so there probably was a reason why they are not included.
It's a tough situation to sort out. MechAssault is part of the Battletech universe. FASA owned the Battletech IP and licensed the property to Microsoft through their FASA Interactive division to make Mechwarrior and Mechassault. Eventually, Microsoft bought FASA interactive. But FASA had sold the IP rights for Battletech to Wizkids, which was then acquired by figure-maker NECA. I suspect the MechAssault games would require NECA's approval.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Quake 4 had two releases. First by Activision, then it was rereleased by Bethesda after that acquisition. It ought to be fully legal for MS/Bethesda to add it to BC without any approval from Activision.
Without knowing the details of that second release we don’t know. The fact that it’s isn’t BC says that they probably came to an agreement only for that re-release.

graywolf323

Thank god we got Otogi 1+2 and Gunvalk before the end.

If this really is it, then it's a shame we'll never get:
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Brute Force
  • Stranglehold
  • Ninety-Nine Nights
  • Wet
  • Akai Katana
  • Anarchy Reigns
And many, many more.

yeah, Alpha Protocol was a big want for me and I'm really sad that this means it won't come :messenger_crying:

Brute Force was a first party game so I wonder what the hold up on it is?

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
With the million copies of FIFA, NFL NBA etc we got a good healthy chunk of what people play with now a superior way to play them.

Its sad but it was always going to hit a wall eventually with licensing on the rest and keeping a team active while lawyers go at it over a couple titles at a time seems in no way productive.

We’ve got more than a healthy chunk, and going forwards everything should always remain compatible.

Hestar69

Rip Condemned series, you died so the mediocre Fear sequels could live on.
I'm Still mad we never got a condemned 3.The second wasn't as good as the first,but I still enjoyed it and it ended on a cliff hanger if I remember right.

Alx

Sad that we will never see Deathrow, Kung Fu Chaos, Spikeout or Full auto. But I won’t complain since the last batch had many games I was je expecting (Max Payne, DOA, Otogi, Gunvalkyrie…)

Well Xbox does it a whole alot better than Playstation.

I should buy PC for playing older games because I don't think Sony will care about bringing PS1-PS3 games to PS5.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Amazing effort by MS. But this reminds me why emulation is key for this hobby. You just can't rely on corporations and walled gardens for game preservation..

PC gaming and open platforms is where is at.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Amazing effort by MS. But this reminds me why emulation is key for this hobby. You just can't rely on corporations and walled gardens for game preservation..

PC gaming and open platforms is where is at.

More than corporations, the problem here is IP laws, and what you are implying is that the only path to solve this is piracy. I mean, dont want to break Gaf's rules, but sadly its the only viable option to a given extent.

Connxtion

Man PGR4 with up rez, FPS boost and it’s never going to happen 😭

Still am just glad we can play Xbox and 360 games on the XB1, got myself timesplitters 3 and Advent Rising so going to finish them once and for all. (Am hoping advent rising fps issues are fixed with BC)

Top Bottom