• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro developer: DirectStorage will be very beneficial for PC gaming

Such humbleness. Such modesty.
Not gonna lie, but when someone tries to make their own thoughts a reality, especially in an area someone might work in, they are gonna grill the fuck out of them. If people have no idea what they are talking about, like PaintTinJr PaintTinJr , they should just sit back and take notes. No point in trying to act like they know what's going on, when they can simply learn from more established people.

I seriously hate it at work when some new person comes in thinking they know what the fuck they are talking about, then I gotta fire them because they 1) not only don't know what they are talking about, but 2) I gotta let them go for not being able to try and understand how things work, because they think they know it all.

Ego is a big problem in the work place, as well as in online forums. People don't like being wrong, and it's easy to avoid this by keeping quiet in areas they don't have much knowledge in.

More RAM has always been the stupid answer/solution. There is a reason why Mark Cerny spent the majority of the PS5 spec reveal on I/O. It is that important,
Wrong. More RAM is the ideal solution, just not the practical one. RAM is still much faster than any SSD on earth, if it wasn't for the fact that it's volatile and insanely expensive in large capacities we'd be storing everything in RAM all of the time. Improving I/O and using faster storage is a compromise. It's not realistic to have 4TB of RAM, it is realistic to have 4TB of storage and then move data into RAM.

For such important technology there is surprisingly little actual factual data showing improvements.

Whole "no loadings" bacame "shorter loadings" comparable to normal SSD pc players were accustomed for past 6-8 years.
I just wish devs would post usage statistics, like data throughout for example. That way we can measure how much data is used, etc. Cause there's no way ps5 SSD runs full throttle like some of these warriors want to believe, as it's obviously b.s. They think liquid metal is the cooling solution for the SSD, which is false and only accommodates the APU. Meaning, additional SSD won't have adequate cooling to suffice the previous example. There's no magical drive that is capable of pulling 5.5gbps, more or less 17gbps or even 22gbps compressed data, with constant throughput. Whoever thinks this is a thing, is incompetent when it comes to understanding basics thermodynamics.

Last edited:
I just wish devs would post usage statistics, like data throughout for example. That way we can measure how much data is used, etc. Cause there's no way ps5 SSD runs full throttle like some of these warriors want to believe, as it's obviously b.s. They think liquid metal is the cooling solution for the SSD, which is false and only accommodates the APU. Meaning, additional SSD won't have adequate cooling to suffice the previous example. There's no magical drive that is capable of pulling 5.5gbps, more or less 17gbps or even 22gbps compressed data, with constant throughput. Whoever thinks this is a thing, is incompetent when it comes to understanding basics thermodynamics.
...bUt CeRnY sAiD...

...bUt CeRnY sAiD...
To me, Cerny has as much as a say so as Sweeney. And we all know how Sweeney went down as UE5 came out. Of course hyping ps5 is his job.

No one works on a project they are proud of, and doesn't take credit and hype it up. What do people think cerny is doing? He's never gonna admit 12TF is better than 10TF, more or less 35TF being better than 10TF.

assurdum

Banned
To me, Cerny has as much as a say so as Sweeney. And we all know how Sweeney went down as UE5 came out. Of course hyping ps5 is his job.

No one works on a project they are proud of, and doesn't take credit and hype it up. What do people think cerny is doing? He's never gonna admit 12TF is better than 10TF, more or less 35TF being better than 10TF.
To me you really haven't listened what "Cerny said". Never said 10 TF is better than 12 TF, or his custom solution is better than more RAM available. If people would listen more and care less about stupid console war, everyone would start to appreciate something it's not just brand tied. Not denying I always prefer the playstation brand (though PS3 was a disaster of engineering outside the cell) but what Cerny did on ps5 it's quite more interesting to the MS on series X, which frankly seems the classic boring standard approach with nothing of hazardous or pioneering.

Last edited:
To me you really haven't listened what "Cerny said". Never said 10 TF is better than 12 TF, never said have more RAM is not better than his custom solution. If people like you'd listen more and care less about console war, maybe would start to appreciate something it's not just Xbox tied.
If only people would listen to those who use PC at platform of choice, they would already know the whole SSD fiasco was bullshit. Yes it does provide better loading times, but it won't be a supplementary GPU. People were thinking that was the case, and if I'm not mistaken, you were actually one of those who believed it, at least at the time. I could be wrong, but I don't have the time to check.

Point is, all this I/O shenanigans needs to stop as of buy right now, as there are no other staws to grasp against us PC gamers.

assurdum

Banned
If only people would listen to those who use PC at platform of choice, they would already know the whole SSD fiasco was bullshit. Yes it does provide better loading times, but it won't be a supplementary GPU. People were thinking that was the case, and if I'm not mistaken, you were actually one of those who believed it, at least at the time. I could be wrong, but I don't have the time to check.

Point is, all this I/O shenanigans needs to stop as of buy right now, as there are no other staws to grasp against us PC gamers.
And based on what it's a fiasco? Care to elaborate? You see how slave you are to your console war attitude with any kind of valid argument? I ask to you again: when Cerny said is approach is superior to higher/better specs? Why you invent these stupid argumentations? Who has ever said SSD or better I/O is a supplementary GPU? Though Phil Spencer tried to say something like that a long time ago but people has forgot it. And yup heavy SSD and I/O customization could help immensely the GPU efficiency and usage, as water is wet. Data hierarchy it's not just about loading time.

Last edited:
To me you really haven't listened what "Cerny said". Never said 10 TF is better than 12 TF, or his custom solution is better than more RAM available. If people would listen more and care less about stupid console war, everyone would start to appreciate something it's not just brand tied. Not denying I always prefer the playstation brand (though PS3 was a disaster of engineering outside the cell) but what Cerny did on ps5 it's quite more interesting to the MS on series X, which frankly seems the classic boring standard approach quite with nothing of hazardous.
His solution is the result of not having enough RAM. If the assets were all already decompressed and ready to use, we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
His solution is the result of not having enough RAM. If the assets were all already decompressed and ready to use, we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all.
Of course. That's the big limits of the close hardware. First or later hardware will struggle to keep the pace of upgradable/new hardware, efficiency is the key to squeeze the more possible with limited specs.

Last edited:
Of course. That's the big limits of the close hardware. First or later hardware will struggle to keep the pace of upgradable/new hardware, efficiency is the key to squeeze the more possible with limited specs.
If consoles had more RAM, this wouldn't be a discussion right now. SSD's have been around for every 10 years. If ps5 had more RAM, the ssd wouldn't be the game of the town, as having more RAM would be a better solution. This is only because more RAM would be a better outcome, but more expensive.

sorry if this has been mentioned but how does this work if i have a 250GB boot drive for Windows/programs and all my games are stored on secondary 2TB SSD?? will directstorage still work or do my games need to be on a boot drive?

assurdum

Banned
If consoles had more RAM, this wouldn't be a discussion right now. SSD's have been around for every 10 years. If ps5 had more RAM, the ssd wouldn't be the game of the town, as having more RAM would be a better solution. This is only because more RAM would be a better outcome, but more expensive.
What absurd take. You know if pc will use something like ps5 will improve performance too. Brute specs is not everything, even on pc. If dlss, reconstructed IQ or TAA weren't a thing today, we would be slave of outdated and expensive tech as 16XMSAA or similar, native resolution and no gsync screen without any alternative. Such a waste. Forgive me but I really don't understand some argumentations.

Last edited:

MaDBrute

Banned
So a loading screen would be 5min?, hey lets fill 64Gigs of ram from a 5400rpm drive.
Its year 2021 and Starcitizen is the only game built for ssd. When it comes to games we haven't seen anything yet, no engine is built for/around fast asset streaming. (Ssd)

Last edited:

sendit

Wrong. More RAM is the ideal solution, just not the practical one. RAM is still much faster than any SSD on earth, if it wasn't for the fact that it's volatile and insanely expensive in large capacities we'd be storing everything in RAM all of the time. Improving I/O and using faster storage is a compromise. It's not realistic to have 4TB of RAM, it is realistic to have 4TB of storage and then move data into RAM.

We don’t live in an ideal world. To think like this is stupid in itself. But whatever gets your point across right?

Data still needs to go from A to B. RAM is volatile, you aren’t meant to store anything in there.

Last edited:
Imagine how topics like this would've looked in the 80s. Famicom/NES briefly ran circles around IBM in scrolling, sound quality, and color palettes.

Going into the 90s, we have PC gamers' priceless reactions to the smooth motion and rich environments of Sonic, Actraiser, etc.
You might be able to dig up something on USENET.

But I'm recalling there was a lot more consensus back then, though it could just be that I was dealing with real life friends rather than arguing with strangers on the internet. Everyone knew you went to NES for fast/smooth/colorful graphics back in the day. Everyone knew Sega Genesis once it came out was a step up from that. And everyone more or less knew that SNES was a step up from that. Granted Sonic, blast-processing, and Mortal Kombat with blood made it a little contested. And you knew you were probably better with an EA sports game on Sega. But even so, we all knew. I loved Sega Genesis, but SNES had more colors, much 'smoother' music, and Mode 7 for good measure. Nobody was comparing any of that shit to PC. You compared it to what was at the arcade.

PC was just a different thing. If you bought some wannabe side scroller or pretty much whatever console style game on PC, it was slow, clunky, and you didn't make that mistake again. You got the good shit from LucasArts, or Sierra, or something from Microprose with an 80 page manual and a big ol' keyboard overlay to help you try to figure out how to use the 40 buttons of the game. It was just a different thing, your consoles did games your PC wouldn't, and vice versa.

When we got a 486 in 1993, that's really where PC opened up a bit. Wolfenstein 3D and Doom were much better than the Johnny-come-lately SNES versions. X-Wing came out around the same time as StarFox, and it was ridiculous. Funny enough I didn't have a sound card right away, I don't even remember if X-Wing supported the beeps/boops of the PC Speaker, but those were fucking terrible. I remember how bad it was in Alone in the Dark for example. And granted StarFox had a pretty great soundtrack.... but otherwise... playing X-Wing with a Thrustmaster, controlling all its systems in a free-moving 3D environment with smooth (at the time) frame rate? Whereas StarFox was super choppy and on rails.

As time moved on, especially as the 3D era got going, a console would come out, it would be very impressive next to your PC, but a year or two later PC tech moved beyond. PSX and N64 were kinda crazy. Then a bit later you were playing QuakeWorld online at 640x480 or 800x600 while your console-only friends were splitting Goldeneye's TV resolution 4 ways. PS2 came out and I was wowed by the likes of SSX. I built a new PC a few months before Xbox 360 came out (and granted I made a poor choice with an ATI graphics card that hurt my system quite a bit), but when I saw COD2 running on an HDTV at Circuit City and compared it to how my PC handled it, I was again pretty blown away. And after trying to run the COD4 demo on that same PC... I mean, that turned me into an FPS gamer on console first and foremost for years. Though granted I'd still rather play Battlefield 2 on PC compared to the goofy gimped console version.

But then the PS4/XBO generation hit, and that was that. Ryze and Killzone looked kind of impressive for 15 minutes, and PS4 especially was good value. I missed the PS5 pre-orders, but got a Series X and... it's just not as good as the PC I built a year before the thing came out. Even if I really like the direction they've taken with backwards compatibility and supporting stuff like 120hz... but I've been on 165hz since 2016. SSDs have been loading my games pretty quickly for almost a decade. Even if I had a PS5... so what, I'm playing Demonses Soulses at 60fps?

I'm rambling but back then things really were more clear. They were completely separate things. Over the years console gaming has gained complexity and nowadays PC has lost some as the markets have merged quite a bit. The console market dictates a lot because of market share, but no longer really does so because of tech.

PaintTinJr

S staticshock

You took a post Intend for another user as your opening quote - as though it was aimed at you, which it wasn't, and have then proceeded to do a Lies and Truth sections by attributing your words as mine - in a straw-man fashion, and then finished with lots of my quotes - that in their positions in the threads they were used, I'm happy to stand by, even the ones that you have now changed my opinion on, like the volumetric fx costs.

But I am okay with any of the moderation team (like Mod of War Mod of War ) to read from the beginning of the Inside nanite thread, and this thread and make a judgement on my posts in their intended context - and happily take any feedback such as warnings/ban if that's what they deem.

I have no real take on your beef about the Ps5 and UE5 - specifically with me - but if you really want to get to the bottom of our difference of opinions without it looking like a cross-cross-thread feud - like the other guy clearly wants flame - then feel free to PM, to take it out of this DirectStorage thread - and I will restate what I think from the public info and you can tell me what you disagree with, or show me things that are wrong from what you can do in the Preview like you have done about the volumetric fx.

If anyone owns a PC in 2021 and you don't have an SSD in it then in all honesty what the fuck are you doing?

The last time I bought a mechanical drive was back in 2012 I think.
Not having an SSD is pretty rare (outside shitty office pre-builts), but plenty of people still have HDDs. You just can't beat them in terms of storage density and price.

If anyone owns a PC in 2021 and you don't have an SSD in it then in all honesty what the fuck are you doing?

The last time I bought a mechanical drive was back in 2012 I think.
I don't think there have been any laptops or prebuilts for the past 5+ years that come without a SSD as primary drive. It's only the anti PC idiots thinking otherwise, like a few posts up for instance.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Not having an SSD is pretty rare (outside shitty office pre-builts), but plenty of people still have HDDs. You just can't beat them in terms of storage density and price.

Of course, if you need the most TB/$ then the mechanical drives are the way to go but then the trade-off is speed (and it's a big one at that). A lot of enterprise and server applications are now geared towards SSD's, so outside of something like say security footage storage I don't see many remaining practical applications where skimping out makes sense.

If you still have mechanical drives for storage or as a secondary drive on a machine then fine, just don't game and run your primary applications off it. The POE dev is right and I wish every other developer had the same attitude. At some point it's time to move on.

The PS5 and Xbox Series were platforms designed around the premise that 100% of units on the market would ship with an SSD factory installed.

It could be a while before pre-built PCs eradicate mechanical drives.

You do know the entire reason why mechanical hard drives are still even considered for gaming is consoles right?

Last edited:
You do know the entire reason why mechanical hard drives are still even considered for gaming is consoles right?

Ppl like S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE just don't realize this yet, but blames it on PC, yet >90% of the consoles in each and every home is rocking a slow ass 5400 rpm HDD. Fucking ironic huh?!

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Ppl like S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE just don't realize this yet, but blames it on PC, yet >90% of the consoles in each and every home is rocking a slow ass 5400 rpm HDD. Fucking ironic huh?!

Consoles have dictated the baseline hardware requirements for the last 2 generations of gaming (since the 360/PS3 generation). Just look at how the minimum hardware requirements have shifted since then and it's clear as day.

Because Capcom's engines tend to be well optimised and are cross-platform their games are always pretty much bang-on in terms of the minimum spec requirements.

Resident Evil 5:

yQDGJ9c.png

Resident Evil 2 Remake:

pLhMpY3.png

That is why I'm 100% against the idea of the Series S from a raw hardware standpoint. Yes we will finally get SSD's being part of minimum spec but everything else is largely fucked. We could have had the minimum requirements shift up to around the RTX 2070S level but instead we will see something far below the 2060 being the baseline once the "next-gen" only games start rolling in.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You still don't get it. Not one single game has been created to date that wouldn't run best on PC. Not even a single demo. The UE5 PS5 demo which fans were raving about saying it couldn't run on XSX and PC.
Was debunked and shown by multiple Epic Games engineers to be running on PC at better Resolution and FPS while rendering the same amount of triangles. UE5 demo was the holy grail and trump card for these fans and it failed miserably.
Not only did it fail but the demo runs better on barebone sata SSD with no Direct Storage, RTX IO or fancy magical SSD.

Now people turn to R&C which epic games replicated like a toy using Data Layers and World partition to load millions of assets in 4 seconds from scratch.

r20joW.gif

Then people like PaintTinJr PaintTinJr turn to I/O complex but when DirectStorage shows up, it will be game over.
There won't be a period where console bests PC because It will show up exactly as actual next gen games that are utilizing next gen technologies are being released (less than 6 months) as studios are still retooling their engines to utilize next-gen tech.

PC with DirectStorage would beat the socks out of PS5 in every game. Not only in load times but in asset (geometry and texture) density.

What then? when you see pc killing ps5 in load times? What then? What will you resort to?

"Millions of assets", lol. Read up on object instancing, seems like you have no idea what you're talking about.

(Hint: That UE demo has TONS of repeated assets and very little variety overall.)

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Sure, let's have 512GB of VRAM and then wait an hour while it's being filled up from slow storage, sounds like fun!

That's basically what you're saying. The truth is that we need both, but by having faster storage you can use the memory you do have much more efficiently, so you need less of it to achieve the same results. Improving storage speeds and I/O is not a compromise, that's a ridiculous thing to say. It's the better solution. If you don't understand why this is the case, you should educate yourself before you say anything more on the matter.

Who's comparing last gen consoles 🤔
What else would you compare? Nobody uses a HDD as a primary storage device on a gaming PC, not for the past several years. But over %90 of all currently used consoles, features a very slow laptop HDD. Not sure why you still don't seem to understand that?

This is why cross gen is a thing

Last edited:
Consoles have dictated the baseline hardware requirements for the last 2 generations of gaming (since the 360/PS3 generation). Just look at how the minimum hardware requirements have shifted since then and it's clear as day.

Because Capcom's engines tend to be well optimised and are cross-platform their games are always pretty much bang-on in terms of the minimum spec requirements.

Resident Evil 5:

yQDGJ9c.png

Resident Evil 2 Remake:

pLhMpY3.png

That is why I'm 100% against the idea of the Series S from a raw hardware standpoint. Yes we will finally get SSD's being part of minimum spec but everything else is largely fucked. We could have had the minimum requirements shift up to around the RTX 2070S level but instead we will see something far below the 2060 being the baseline once the "next-gen" only games start rolling in.
Agreed, I think they should have gone with a disc-less XSX instead for cheaper. The sooner consoles catch up, the sooner gaming progresses as a whole.

S0ULZB0URNE

What else would you compare? Nobody uses a HDD as a primary storage device on a gaming PC, not for the past several years. But over %90 of all currently used consoles, features a very slow laptop HDD. Not sure why you still don't seem to understand that?

This is why cross gen is a thing
Developers use hdd in PC game development.

Cross gen is a thing because of the above and last gen consoles.
Your point?

Again who's mentioning last generation consoles?

Developers use hdd in PC game development.

Cross gen is a thing because of the above and last gen consoles.
Your point?

Again who's mentioning last generation consoles?
Crossgen is because there are more consoles with HDD than SSD, therefore you won't see the benefits in crossgen games.

Why are you mentioning PC's from 10 years ago, of I can't mention ps4/xb1 consoles that are still being sold today? You can't find a gaming PC with a HDD as primary drive today.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Resident Evil 5:

yQDGJ9c.png

Resident Evil 2 Remake:

pLhMpY3.png

Well said and yes agreeing on a digital only XSX (even at 512 GB of storage) helping the consoles align to the PC’s a lot better than keeping the XSS as base target for the X Series line.

Boglin

Can you help me understand why you believe this?

Besides Star Citizen, the myriad of PC exclusive games released over the past decade haven't even bothered to try to move past mechanical drives and I see no reason for them to.

The easy solution for PC developers is to just raise memory requirements which solves the problem that direct storage is addressing. If they aren't starving for memory, then there is no reason for them to create an SSD requirement because the only difference between an SSD and HDD for gaming at this point is loading times.

First and foremost, the new I/O efficiency shit in consoles addresses their lack of memory which hasn't been a big enough concern for PC gamers.

S0ULZB0URNE

Crossgen is because there are more consoles with HDD than SSD, therefore you won't see the benefits in crossgen games.

Why are you mentioning PC's from 10 years ago, of I can't mention ps4/xb1 consoles that are still being sold today? You can't find a gaming PC with a HDD as primary drive today.
But on PS5 not every game is cross gen as it has actual exclusives. So we do see the benefits with the results blowing people away.

I mention the reality that is happening.
PC games are still being made to run on HDD's.

Direct Storage only works on certain builds and will take time to be a thing.
Do you disagree?

But on PS5 not every game is cross gen as it has actual exclusives. So we do see the benefits with the results blowing people away.

I mention the reality that is happening.
PC games are still being made to run on HDD's.

Direct Storage only works on certain builds and will take time to be a thing.
Do you disagree?
Any game that is based on HDD is because of the console version.

Ps5 is bought by not even %10 of the people who owned ps4. Less than %10. Do you disagree?

PC direct storage will be adopted way faster, because everyone has a SSD and isn't waiting on price shortages, price goulgers, and scalpers. We already have the hardware, just need the software which is currently being deployed. You disagree with any of this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom