• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: Xbox studio exclusives won't be 90 hour AAA games but as close to AAA as possible.

TBiddy

Still, we don't know what happens once those games are shipped, it's possible that the mentioned games will be launch titles, and after that all those studios wil work on smaller scale games, with lower budget/timeframe.

Microsoft will be launching with one or two "big" games, according to themselves.

Besides, arguing what might or might not happen with studios seems odd. Especially when neither you, Microsoft or anyone else have absolutely any idea what will transpire in the next 3 years.

point was MC bump was due to game selling itself as “progressive mental illness simulator making the world a better place“. The depression quest of AA games, if you will. The gameplay itself was average.

I personally enjoyed it and I believe it's one of the better games released this gen. If you look at the user scores most people who played it think the same.

I also understand that maybe it's not your cup of tea and were expecting something else 🤷‍♂️

Coalition, Playground, 343i, The Initiative, Turn 10 Studios and Ninja Theory (maybe) all have budgets to create AAA games. They just also have studios that develop AA games. Why is it so bad that they would actually have a range of stuff, and not just only AAA titles.

They do not, this is what this is all about. Turn 10 are already on a 2-year development cycle. I think there is a new policy within MGS whereby development time and budget has been shrunk to ensure enough content is pumped out to satiate Gamepass. This will become more transparent as time goes on, there's no doubt about it.

Besides, arguing what might or might not happen with studios seems odd. Especially when neither you, Microsoft or anyone else have absolutely any idea what will transpire in the next 3 years.
I think it's more speculation than arguments.

But more importantly, I hope MS has some meduim and long therm view of where their studios will be in 4 or 5 years. Maybe they just want numbers for gaming forums list warriors.

There is nothing inherently wrong with indie style games, on indie like budget... But there are so many of those out there, no need to buy studios to make more.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The playtime isn't what defines AAA. UC4 > Sea of thieves you get what I mean? Its not a good sign when corporate guys say things like ''as close to AAA as possible''. Disappointing if Xbox is going to use 12 teraflops to render Sea of thieves 2.
What does Sea of Theives have to do with this ? I dont think Rare will ever go AAA. Just look at Everwild.
On another note Uncharted 4 is not 90 hour game. I and few other people have quoted what he was saying in the interviews
Interview is from August 2019, he was talking about the original Hellblade.
He literally talks about smaller games between big AAA projects(which take a lot of time) after that to clarify his point.
So,
Hellblade II - Big AAA project
Project Mara - Smaller project in between
Not all studios are like that, but Obsidian and Ninja Theory are. I guess Rare also fits the bill.
He basically said not all projects are AAA. Obsidian for example has some smaller projects apart from the big one they are making.
So, compare Uncharted 4 with next AAA games from 343i, Ninja Theory, Initiative, Obsidian, Playground Games and InXile. Not with Rare.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They do not, this is what this is all about. Turn 10 are already on a 2-year development cycle. I think there is a new policy within MGS whereby development time and budget has been shrunk to ensure enough content is pumped out to satiate Gamepass. This will become more transparent as time goes on, there's no doubt about it.
You mean they were. They have already abandoned that. Also, isnt SIE Sand Diego on a yearly release cycle ?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
when was Turn 10's last game released?

So if Xbox games are all B-tier what does that make Sony Games?

Metacritic 10 Annual Publisher rankings -- Xbox game Studios at #7 Sony at #22

Wild and big cinematic experiences based on all their studios and connections. With this moves, all 1st parties should be different enough to appeal different audiences.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I personally enjoyed it and I believe it's one of the better games released this gen. If you look at the user scores most people who played it think the same.

I also understand that maybe it's not your cup of tea and were expecting something else 🤷‍♂️

if the game didn't have the added cache of being a socially conscious ‘important’ game amongst the neurotypical, MC would have been substantially lower. Having your audience believe they are making the world a better place and themselves better people for having bought your game = higher scores and more sales. Neither of those things are true wrt this game imo, but they dont have to be. You only need people to feel that way to increase roi.

That is all.

if the game didn't have the added cache of being a socially conscious ‘important’ game amongst the neurotypical, MC would have been substantially lower. Having your audience believe they are making the world a better place and themselves better people for having bought your game = higher scores and more sales. Neither of those things are true wrt this game imo, but they dont have to be. You only need people to feel that way to increase roi.

That is all.

What a way to twist it.

I don't believe one single word you said. So let's just leave it at that.

joe_zazen

What a way to twist it.

I don't believe one single word you said. So let's just leave it at that.

thats fine.

Maybe you think I am just trying to hurt Microsoft? So here is another game using ’be a better person make world better by consuming this product’ sales technique: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/like-all-of-us-kratos-needed-to-grow-up-sometime.1533750/ They used it as fodder for their game because it plays well in focus groups.

and no, god of war wouldn't have scored as well if it was not ‘making the world a better place by bravely confronting toxic masculinity’. Having your audience feel like their media is world changing and that they are better people for buying it is how a lot of media is sold, just like how they use it for disposable razor blades. Doesn't make it true.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, that's why 343i has been developing for 5 years Halo Infinite, and The Initiative is also almost in 3 year development and won't launch a game until maybe 2021. At the moment nothing is pointing in the direction of more low quality games for the XSX.

thats fine.

Maybe you think I am just trying to hurt Microsoft? So here is another game using ’be a better person make world better by consuming this product’ sales technique: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/like-all-of-us-kratos-needed-to-grow-up-sometime.1533750/ They used it as fodder for their game because it plays well in focus groups.

and no, god of war wouldn't have scored as well if it was not ‘making the world a better place by bravely confronting toxic masculinity’. Having your audience feel like their media is world changing and that they are better people for buying it is how a lot of media is sold, just like how they use it for disposable razor blades. Doesn't make it true.

I'm not saying you're having a hidden agenda. The gaming crowd is a lot less woke than a lot of other groups and I simply don't agree with your point of view.

Also because whether the game was about mental illness or not I would have enjoyed it just the same and I think it's the same for the vast majority of people out there.

martino

don't_believe_his_lies_jpeg.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned

True, however taking money from people on a monthly basis (GP) will require for them to have an appropriate value proposition for that service, releasing jus 2-4 big exclusives in a year simply won't cut it. MS will basically have to be the "panic Sony" from the PS3 era, where they were pumping out exclusives quarterly, if not monthly. And all those 16 studios making AAA games for 3/4/5 years won't allow them to do so. I think the studios will be divided into ones makin AAA, AA and A games, to allow for appropriate flow of games for the service, while still having some of those blockbuster AAA games once in a while.

Deto

Banned
Coalition, Playground, 343i, The Initiative, Turn 10 Studios and Ninja Theory (maybe) all have budgets to create AAA games. They just also have studios that develop AA games. Why is it so bad that they would actually have a range of stuff, and not just only AAA titles.

Xbox Game Studios 'The Initiative' talks 'staying small, staying agile'

lol

oldergamer

Agreed, MS does not have a policy enforcing a 2 year dev cycle. They simply said they aren't looking to make 90 hour games. Which IMO is a good thing. I personally think games like the witcher or even GTA are too long. I prefer games in the 8 - 40 hrs time frame and as polished as possible.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice - 88 metacritic.

If Hellblade was just ok what would you describe games like Infamous, Death Stranding, Days Gone, Ratchet & Clank, Ni-Oh, The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Killzone and 80% of the other PS4 exclusives that scored lower? Don't tell there's only a handful of more than okay PS4 games ..
I think it was one of those times that metacritic got it wrong. I usually agree with metacritic scores when I play the games

oldergamer

People forget that hellblade was made by a small 22 person team. at the time Ninja Theory had 4 teams and that was before MS had them expand. that is a good return on investment. high quality games with small teams to augment the high budget games. Almost all studios have multi teams.

Also its interesting MS has refocused on RPG's. The last time they did that was at launch for the Xb0x 360 and we got great games like Blue Dragon, Mass effect, lost odyssey and others. RPG's are evengreen titles and continue to sell long after launch. It's always been that way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Game Studios 'The Initiative' talks 'staying small, staying agile'

lol
From your article:

"Early Microsoft career listings pitched The Initiative as a "AAAA" studio from Microsoft, expected to elevate the publisher's games portfolio. Similar themes remain today, with key studio figures framing its upcoming plans as "new and innovative," and "spectacular and unique."

lol

hyperbertha

What does Sea of Theives have to do with this ? I dont think Rare will ever go AAA. Just look at Everwild.
On another note Uncharted 4 is not 90 hour game. I and few other people have quoted what he was saying in the interviews

He basically said not all projects are AAA. Obsidian for example has some smaller projects apart from the big one they are making.
So, compare Uncharted 4 with next AAA games from 343i, Ninja Theory, Initiative, Obsidian, Playground Games and InXile. Not with Rare.
I hope you are right though I doubt we'd be seeing AAA from about half of MS's studios. They all seem indie sized, but with a bigger budget this time.

Kokoloko85

What kind of brain diarrhea is this? Bro I slam dunked with your own stupid arguments now you're hurt ? 😂

Keep on posting lists of imaginary games btw. Xbox will have Halo Infinite, HellBlade 2, Everwild, Forza Motorsport 8, Playgrounds AAA RPG, Oblivions AAA RPG, The Initiative's AAA game and more. Straight facts.

Now go back to whatever basement you came from.

lol.... no. You imaged your slam dunk just like your slam dunking how good half your imagining games are gonna be.
Just like how crackdown, halo 5 were👍

Alot of imaginary AAA’s you have there, didnt you hear what the head of studios said?
MS has a great way of getting the best out of devleopers like rare and platinum lol

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

And please post a link to those cheap gaming laptops that can run current gen and Next Gen games. A cheap gaming laptop that can run PlayStation "exclusives" like Death Stranding or Horizon Zero Dawn for example.

Keep in mind current gen consoles are +/- 200/300$ to 400$ max for a One X I think.

Patiently waiting.

1.Horizon is many years old. Not day 1 on the pc?

2.Xbox has no exclusives

3. You cant play death stranding decently on a latop compared to Ori.... do you understand the demade open world 3d games use comapared to platformer?? Or dont those 12tfp’s matter now?

dilbag

Honestly for the most part I am over boring open world games... I couldnt even finish RDR2, I just feel done with them. Even Witcher 3 while that game is amazing I will never play it again because I just dont have the free time to dedicate another 50+ hours for a second run.

Even on the sony side I prefer GoW, Last of us over days gone. Spiderman was amazing though I could play that again lol

Deto

Banned
From your article:

"Early Microsoft career listings pitched The Initiative as a "AAAA" studio from Microsoft, expected to elevate the publisher's games portfolio. Similar themes remain today, with key studio figures framing its upcoming plans as "new and innovative," and "spectacular and unique."

lol

Early Microsoft career listings pitched The Initiative as a "AAAA" studio from Microsoft, expected to elevate the publisher's games portfolio. Similar themes remain today

Similar, good way to say it's not AAAA anymore and elude fanboy

It is not the same, but it is similar.
If not, we say that similar is not the same and until then there will be a lot of fanboy talking in our AAAA with 40 employees.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Early Microsoft career listings pitched The Initiative as a "AAAA" studio from Microsoft, expected to elevate the publisher's games portfolio. Similar themes remain today

Similar, good way to say it's not AAAA anymore and elude fanboy

It is not the same, but it is similar.
If not, we say that similar is not the same and until then there will be a lot of fanboy talking in our AAAA with 40 employees.
We are getting footage of their game at E3 normally so we'll see what that tells us.

Deto

Banned
We are getting footage of their game at E3 normally so we'll see what that tells us.

I saved the link :)

Last edited:

TBiddy

True, however taking money from people on a monthly basis (GP) will require for them to have an appropriate value proposition for that service, releasing jus 2-4 big exclusives in a year simply won't cut it. MS will basically have to be the "panic Sony" from the PS3 era, where they were pumping out exclusives quarterly, if not monthly. And all those 16 studios making AAA games for 3/4/5 years won't allow them to do so. I think the studios will be divided into ones makin AAA, AA and A games, to allow for appropriate flow of games for the service, while still having some of those blockbuster AAA games once in a while.

I agree, It's not realistic to see all 16 studios creating AAA games. It would be incredibly expensive. I think that between launch and 1-2 years forward, we will see 5-8 AAA exclusive games.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
People forget that hellblade was made by a small 22 person team. at the time Ninja Theory had 4 teams and that was before MS had them expand. that is a good return on investment. high quality games with small teams to augment the high budget games. Almost all studios have multi teams.

Also its interesting MS has refocused on RPG's. The last time they did that was at launch for the Xb0x 360 and we got great games like Blue Dragon, Mass effect, lost odyssey and others. RPG's are evengreen titles and continue to sell long after launch. It's always been that way.

This is one of the things I'm most excited about for next gen. WRPGs are by far my absolute favorite genre and Xbox really has that covered in a big way next gen. I can not wait to play all of them.

Other than HZD, a great game that is WRPGish, I don't currently see Sony offering much in this Genre.

1.Horizon is many years old. Not day 1 on the pc?

2.Xbox has no exclusives

3. You cant play death stranding decently on a latop compared to Ori.... do you understand the demade open world 3d games use comapared to platformer?? Or dont those 12tfp’s matter now?

Bla bla bla, excuses and totally off topic. You said you can play MS exclusives on a cheap laptop, now prove it. You have one you said right? Share it with us.

Where are the links?

I knew you would just answer with some more brain diarrhea. Predictable Sony bot plays himself.

Last edited:
lol.... no. You imaged your slam dunk just like your slam dunking how good half your imagining games are gonna be.
Just like how crackdown, halo 5 were👍

Alot of imaginary AAA’s you have there, didnt you hear what the head of studios said?
MS has a great way of getting the best out of devleopers like rare and platinum lol

You're right, can't say the same about Sony who runs studios to the ground faster than EA:

Bigbig Studios
Camden Studio
Evolution Studios
Guerrilla Cambridge
Incognito Entertainment
Manchester Studio
Studio Liverpool
Sony Online Entertainment
Zipper Interactive

And bonus:
Halo 5 meta: 84

The last 2 PS4 exclusives:

Days Gone - 71
Death Stranding - 82

Please come back with more "arguments" to play yourself again, kind of fun.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

You're right, can't say the same about Sony who runs studios to the ground faster than EA:

Bigbig Studios
Camden Studio
Evolution Studios
Guerrilla Cambridge
Incognito Entertainment
Manchester Studio
Studio Liverpool
Sony Online Entertainment
Zipper Interactive

And bonus:
Halo 5 meta: 84

The last 2 PS4 exclusives:

Days Gone - 71
Death Stranding - 82

Please come back with more "arguments" to play yourself again, kind of fun.
Dreams: 89
Nioh 2: 85

Dreams: 89
Nioh 2: 85

You're right.

But doesn't change the fact that a game he was making fun of, because he's dumb, scored better than anything he was playing for the entire 2019 since obviously he only plays exclusives. Must have been a terrible year Kokoloko85 Kokoloko85

And I doubt he is one of the 2500 people who bought Dreams.

Last edited:
This guy keep saying nonsense and then Phill has to damage control.

I think he what he meant to say, they will not be just SP games but will include mp as well

SleepDoctor

Banned
Awesome how this thread just turned to another list war. Its alright if you may have missed the video initially. But if you're going to keep shitposting in the thread go watch the full video.

Fanboys been on edge since the "boosted" 9tf ps5. Just stick to your games and stop crying.

Roberts

Yeah. This is where MS has jack shit on Sony. Games.
Sony will come out swinging with Horizon 2 while MS gives us more Halo, Forza 8 and some indie shit.

Is this really necessary? I have played HZD and it paled to my experience playing Halo and Forza Horizon games, but I don't come here and say stupid shit like "MS. They got games and you don't", because it is neither true nor productive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, that's why 343i has been developing for 5 years Halo Infinite, and The Initiative is also almost in 3 year development and won't launch a game until maybe 2021. At the moment nothing is pointing in the direction of more low quality games for the XSX.

Everything is actually pointing to this shift, for XGS in general. All the studio aquisitions are small scale set ups making small games. Sea of Thieves is a budget title. Crackdown 3 was a budget title. Gears may be an exception as it was in development since before the Gamepass policy took over, but still, its scale, ambition and polish doesnt hold a candle to TLOU2, GoW, Ghosts of Tsushima etc.

Hobbygaming

Everything is actually pointing to this shift, for XGS in general. All the studio aquisitions are small scale set ups making small games. Sea of Thieves is a budget title. Crackdown 3 was a budget title. Gears may be an exception as it was in development since before the Gamepass policy took over, but still, its scale, ambition and polish doesnt hold a candle to TLOU2, GoW, Ghosts of Tsushima etc.
Yeah I remain leery of the service future MS is pushing

While with Sony it just feels like they have to stay prepared so they dip their toes but the main focus is their AAA games

I think it's more speculation than arguments.

But more importantly, I hope MS has some meduim and long therm view of where their studios will be in 4 or 5 years. Maybe they just want numbers for gaming forums list warriors.

There is nothing inherently wrong with indie style games, on indie like budget... But there are so many of those out there, no need to buy studios to make more.

They've shown for the past 10 years there is no long term plan for the development of their studios.

Their modus operandi is make us much money from gamers as possible, be that paid online, microtransactions or now games as a sub.

Last edited:

Roberts

Zelda BotW, for example. My first playthrough took over 100 hrs and didn't even get absolutely every piece of content from the game.

I'm also kind of sure that it takes around 100 hours to do most of the stuff in the last two Assassin's Creed games, especially Odyssey.

Top Bottom