• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Officially No Longer Developing Games for Xbox One

feynoob

Banned
Why do you put Starfield up there with Skyrim? It has not proven to be on that level nor have Bethesda been able to reach that level in years. Fallout 4 was mid and forgotten and Fallout 76 was horrible. What gives you the confidence that Bethesda can get to that Skyrim peak ever again?
Maybe because the studio that made skyrim is the one that is making this game.

Zathalus

That was launch titles. The past 2 years of the series consoles have not been up to par even compared to the Xbone. Also how you know Starfield will be good?
I said first three years of the console, not just the launch titles. As for Starfield I think we both know it's going to be good. Everything we have seen so far looks to be miles better then Fallout 4 and that game scored pretty well. Sure it might suck, but it seems rather unlikely. Just like I think FF 16 and Spider-Man 2 are both going to be great.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There is a taste, then there is downplaying.

Not everyone is going to play or oike starfield. But acting it as it's going to be bad as fallout76 is plainly trolling.

Honest truth; when people jump onboard hype-trains I feel like things turn out badly more often than not. Especially when they back that optimism with something technological like "the next gen has finally arrived with game x". Its just more pressure than almost any game in the history of the form can handle.

I'm not saying this to rain on anyone's parade, just that based on my experience as somebody who's been playing games for 40+ years I feel like people should try and strike a healthy balance between excitement and realism. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can say that hand on heart over the years the games that made the biggest impression on me tended to be ones that I didn't see coming.

Not to say that every "next big thing" ended up disappointing me, but even when they did live up to the hype, I often had to get over a hump period when expectations versus reality got realigned, and only then could I fully appreciate them for what they were.

It can be made extra difficult when there's always some twats who revel in the schadenfreude of seeing people disillusioned and disappointed.

Just saying, as someone legitimately neutral in this particular case, there won't be a road to damascus moment where the haters suddenly accept that the thing is a legit GOTY. They'll double-down if anything. So allowing yourself to get too sucked-in to the hype and defending your game against "them" is just setting yourself up for a fall.

I don't care what anyone thinks. If the biggest piece of shit game gives me hours of fun, I'm winning. And the opposite is equally true.
So, do what you do. But never forget that your "fun" (and of those you are playing with if its a MP thing) is the only thing that matters in the end.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Haven't you heard bro? On the 8th day Phil created starfield.

On a serious note, if this was just Bethesda it would just be another RPG .
But since they got bought and become the rallying cry for Xbox, it's been nothing but hyped like it's the second coming.

It's a meme as bad as scoprio at this point.
Oh please, the hype for Skyrim and Fallout 4 was unreal. "Just another RPG" has not been a thing for them since Oblivion.

Nvzman

Starfield, A Plague Tale Requiem, FS2020, Forza Motorsports, Ghostwire Tokyo, etc. say the opposite.

Given how Starfield started pushing the systems, it's clear currently in development games won't run on Xbone/X anymore. Good for them, they can save time/money on games
I'm sorry, did games a few years old or coming out this year equate to "later in the gen"? Or are you just incapable of using critical thinking skills?

Also, almost all of those are first party games, they damn well better have a native S port. Other third party devs might not be as willing to compromise given how clearly gimped the hardware is as time goes on.
Also, a Plague Tale is coming out this early in the gen and it's not even full HD, it's 900p/30fps. Do you not realize that's already evidence things are just going to get worse?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Well...I was on Twitter and there's a big topic about the impact of the Xbox One. And so far, a lot of people remember it more fondly than what the Series consoles have provided them this gen. I said it's still early but the way things are going with Gamepass and quality games, I'm leaning towards the Series console ultimately not even beating the little impact that the Xbox one provided exclusive-wise.
Well it must be true. It was on Twitter.

Zathalus

They've got progressively worse over the years. 4 and 76 come to mind. Most gamers.find it hard to get hype for a new product when the previous efforts have been weak.
Yet Fallout 4 was still by most accounts a great game with scores and GotY awards to match. Far Harbour was a fan favourite as well.

Fallout 76 was a failure because it was exactly the type of game Bethesda was not know for. Multiplayer survival game? There was a ton of scepticism for 76 right from when it was announced. Starfield appears to be a return to form with Bethesda having spent over 7 years developing it. I'm not excited because Xbox owns Bethesda, I'm excited because it's it's a freaking Bethesda RPG that had an excellent deep dive.

Banjo64

cumsessed
And the Series X has Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, Pentiment, Age of Empires 2, Immortality, Gears Tactics, and soon Forza Motorsport and Starfield. Seems a win for Series consoles to me.
Holmie Grounded and Gears Tactics came out on Xbox One before the Series S/X were even released.

Halo Infinite is a POS as told by the abysmal player count.

Age, Pentiment, Flight Sim - for real bro post your play time in each game if they’re so great.

feynoob

Banned
Yet Fallout 4 was still by most accounts a great game with scores and GotY awards to match. Far Harbour was a fan favourite as well.

Fallout 76 was a failure because it was exactly the type of game Bethesda was not know for. Multiplayer survival game? There was a ton of scepticism for 76 right from when it was announced. Starfield appears to be a return to form with Bethesda having spent over 7 years developing it. I'm not excited because Xbox owns Bethesda, I'm excited because it's it's a freaking Bethesda RPG that had an excellent deep dive.
Fallout 4 hasnt gone down below 10k on steam chart for a long time. If it was bad, people wouldnt have played it nonstop.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Wasn’t a lot of work on Fallout 76 completed by Bethesda’s bitch team in Austin rather than the MVP team that makes TES/Fallout games?

ZehDon

Gold Member
43tl7q.png

Zathalus

Holmie Grounded and Gears Tactics came out on Xbox One before the Series S/X were even released.

Halo Infinite is a POS as told by the abysmal player count.

Age, Pentiment, Flight Sim - for real bro post your play time in each game if they’re so great.
I listed Xbox games that got released for each system for the first three years. I'm comparing different eras between them.

Halo Infinite is fine, well the core game that is. The single player was well recieved and the multiplayer is fun to play. The major problem has been the lack of multiplayer rewards and the glacial release of content for it. Hence why everyone got pissed off and the player count plummeted.

As for Age of Empires and Flight Sim I played both of those on Steam and not my Xbox. Pentiment I have not played yet as when it released I was occupied with Ragnarok.

DaGwaphics

Starfield is but one game. People are hyping it way too hard.

The one thing I'll say is if they can't bring more console exclusives to the party with the studio count they have now vs. the 4 or 5 studios they held throughout most of the X1 cycle, it'll actually be one hell of an achievement in under achieving. The series systems will have a much more varied and valuable first-party than the X1 to be sure.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

But since they got bought and become the rallying cry for Xbox, it's been nothing but hyped like it's the second coming.

We both know the recent influx of positive PR and hype for the game has come following the very good showing it had at the Direct. Let's not blow things out of proportion either way.

Until that Direct, a lot of people were skeptical about even what kind of game it's gonna be and what the scope will be. That Direct explained it pretty well, hence a lot more people are excited about it now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I listed Xbox games that got released for each system for the first three years. I'm comparing different eras between them.

Halo Infinite is fine, well the core game that is. The single player was well recieved and the multiplayer is fun to play. The major problem has been the lack of multiplayer rewards and the glacial release of content for it. Hence why everyone got pissed off and the player count plummeted.

As for Age of Empires and Flight Sim I played both of those on Steam and not my Xbox. Pentiment I have not played yet as when it released I was occupied with Ragnarok.
Ok. Bit of a cop out to include Xbox One games that were patched for Series consoles, but whatever.

Xbox One exclusive games in the first 3 years of release:

Killer Instinct
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Gears 4
Forza Horizon 3
Rare Replay
Quantum Break
Gears of War Ultimate
Master Chief Collection
Forza Motorsport 5

Not the best list of games by any means, but the Series consoles should have been able to blow this line up out of the water, and they haven’t done it.

feynoob

Banned
Wasn’t a lot of work on Fallout 76 completed by Bethesda’s bitch team in Austin rather than the MVP team that makes TES/Fallout games?
Even todd went and focused on starfield instead.
Fallout76 was a pitch to make mtx money from upper zenimax management.

adamsapple

Ok. Bit of a cop out to include Xbox One games that were patched for Series consoles, but whatever.

Killer Instinct
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Gears 4
Forza Horizon 3
Rare Replay
Quantum Break
Gears of War Ultimate
Master Chief Collection
Forza Motorsport 5

Not the best list of games by any means, but the Series consoles should have been able to blow this line up out of the water, and they haven’t done it.

Well, at least 2 of the first 3 years of the new console(s) were heavily effected by the Covid delays and games that were already late in the pipeline were what came out. Lots of games that were 2020/1 came out in 2022/3.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well, at least 2 of the first 3 years of the new console(s) were heavily effected by the Covid delays and games that were already late in the pipeline were what came out. Lots of games that were 2020/1 came out in 2022/3.
Everyone’s had to deal with Covid so IDGAF and quite frankly, the games should have been lined up and nearly ready to go for the launch of the consoles which was in the same year that the pandemic took hold anyway.

feynoob

Banned
Starfield was originally set to come out in 2021. They had to delay it 2 years because they didn't want it to be another bug Bethesda.
I am glad they did. That 2022 demo vs today's demo is day and night.

adamsapple

Everyone’s had to deal with Covid so IDGAF and quite frankly, the games should have been lined up and nearly ready to go for the launch of the consoles which was in the same year that the pandemic took hold anyway.

Don't get me wrong, but it's not like the current Xbox first party lineup in the first 3 years was lackluster. Some of the games aren't exclusive, but that's the nature of the beast for games that were in development year(s) before their respective studio mergers.

Halo: Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Psychonauts 2
Grounded
Pentiment
Minecraft Legends

And Starfield and Motorsport will round up and come out before the third year of the new consoles is over.

Starfield was originally set to come out in 2021. They had to delay it 2 years because they didn't want it to be another bug Bethesda.

Exactly. If everything wasn't fucked, games like Avowed, Senua's Saga etc would have been out or coming out this year instead of next.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Don't get me wrong, but it's not like the current Xbox first party lineup in the first 3 years was lackluster. Some of the games aren't exclusive, but that's the nature of the beast for games that were in development year(s) before their respective studio mergers.

Halo: Infinite
Forza Horizon 5
Psychonauts 2
Grounded
Pentiment
Minecraft Legends

And Starfield and Motorsport will round up and come out before the third year of the new consoles is over.
It sucked badly for 3rd party games.
That Xbox one was fire compared to this gen 3rd party games.
This is where you can see Phil's weakness, compared to don mattrick master class.

Some of those Xbox one 3rd party games would have been a big get for xbseries consoles.
Imagine dead rising 3 remake. You guys would go crazy.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm sorry, did games a few years old or coming out this year equate to "later in the gen"? Or are you just incapable of using critical thinking skills?

Also, almost all of those are first party games, they damn well better have a native S port. Other third party devs might not be as willing to compromise given how clearly gimped the hardware is as time goes on.
Also, a Plague Tale is coming out this early in the gen and it's not even full HD, it's 900p/30fps. Do you not realize that's already evidence things are just going to get worse?
Requiem runs at 1440p on PS5 and XSX, 900p is in line with the expectations given that fact. And yeah, of the games I showed apart from Requiem:

- Ghostwire Tokyo was designed for PS5
- Starfield pushes the XSX down to ~1300p native at 30 fps
- FS2020 couldn't run on last gen machines
- Forza Motorsports is coming current gen only too.

All those games are running or will run on XSS.

CPU + I/O are the same, so whatever graphic configuration will just be set down or removed easily if GPU is a problem. But 99% of the it won't be necessary to be removed, just reduced in quality, unless it's RT which not even big machines can handle decently.

feynoob

Banned
Exactly. If everything wasn't fucked, games like Avowed, Senua's Saga etc would have been out or coming out this year instead of next.
I think you guys needed a redfall mess.
The situation with Xbox needed a shake up. And redfall is that catalyst for that wake up.

Ansphn

Killer Instinct
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunset Overdrive
Titanfall
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Halo 5
Gears 4
Forza Horizon 3
Rare Replay
Quantum Break
Gears of War Ultimate
Master Chief Collection
Forza Motorsport 5

Exactly that list is not bad at all when compared to the Series consoles. It's shit compared to Nintendo and PlayStation though.

Ansphn

Todd Howard is putting a lot of word of mouth into Starfield so it better deliver. He suddenly abandoned a game mid production to focus on Starfield. Supposed to be released in 2021 with Howard 100 percent focus on this game 25 years in the making. What would you say if it's still a biggy mess? Howard does not have a good reputation when it comes to honesty.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Todd Howard is putting a lot of word of mouth into Starfield so it better deliver. He suddenly abandoned a game mid production to focus on Starfield. Supposed to be released in 2021 with Howard 100 percent focus on this game 25 years in the making. What would you say if it's still a biggy mess? Howard does not have a good reputation when it comes to honesty.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dude, slow your role already lol.

Todd Howard directed games like Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4. Memes aside, that is an incredible legacy.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

And the Series X has Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, Pentiment, Age of Empires 2, Immortality, Gears Tactics, and soon Forza Motorsport and Starfield. Seems a win for Series consoles to me.

You left out Redfall :messenger_face_screaming: and As Dusk Falls, plus the games that weren't exclusive because of preexisting contracts (Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokio and Outer Worlds). But these games also represent the output of their teams over this period, teams that will be producing console exclusive content in the future.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They've got progressively worse over the years. 4 and 76 come to mind. Most gamers.find it hard to get hype for a new product when the previous efforts have been weak.

You'd better tell most gamers this, they haven't realized it yet. It's the most wish-listed game on Steam and currently the best selling pre-order announced over the "not E3". Second highest paid game on the Windows PC store as well, though the threshold for that probably isn't that high.

uh no. I don’t give a shit about the console it’s on. Trust me. People have gotten hyped for Bethesda games every time - Fallout 76 was online game. Not a single player, traditional Bethesda experience.

Everyone’s trying to act like fallout 4 was some massive piece of shit when it certainly was not.

Nvzman

Requiem runs at 1440p on PS5 and XSX, 900p is in line with the expectations given that fact. And yeah, of the games I showed apart from Requiem:

- Ghostwire Tokyo was designed for PS5
- Starfield pushes the XSX down to ~1300p native at 30 fps
- FS2020 couldn't run on last gen machines
- Forza Motorsports is coming current gen only too.

All those games are running or will run on XSS.

CPU + I/O are the same, so whatever graphic configuration will just be set down or removed easily if GPU is a problem. But 99% of the it won't be necessary to be removed, just reduced in quality, unless it's RT which not even big machines can handle decently.
Ghostwire: It ran like shit on PS5 too, did you not see how horrible the Series S version is? Even worse frame pacing and all.
You DO realize that the Series X struggling to hit even 1440p with something like that just means its exponentially more damning for Series S? its a significantly weaker console, wtf happens when even Series X is struggling to run a game at all? And no shit, I sure hope FS2020 ran on Series S, its a three year old PC game (a demanding one at that, but the Series X/S versions are barely cutting 30fps as well, usually much lower, and Series S has dramatically reduced visual quality).

Btw easiest way to prove you don't know what you are talking about, the bandwidth on Series S is MASSIVELY worse than Series X and its what multiple devs have openly stated to crippling it. The RAM setup is so much slower, its "fast" RAM is half that of the Series X and its "slow" RAM is like 1/6th the speed. This has been established many, many times, its not just the GPU thats weaker. The CPU is also a touch slower, but likely not enough to be super significant.

This will, without a sliver of doubt, cause serious issues as the gen goes on, and I think even looking at the newest releases its incredibly obvious, with Series S continually struggling to do 1080p most of the time with extremely reduced visual quality and typically at 30fps, and this is not even halfway through the gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom