• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Officially No Longer Developing Games for Xbox One

Dr. Suchong

Good.
We don't want another repeat performance of Gen 7.
That went on FOREVER.
Then again, I reckon last Gen are pretty much in the same ballpark now?
Kill off my wheezing ps4 please too. No more cross gen.

GHG

For people who are in the Xbox ecosystem, your Xbox games won't magically turn into PC games. This is like saying "since there is a PC, there is no reason for the Xbox to be sold". It's not for new games(or maybe it is if we eventually get a Series S portable), it's for the vast library of games for three generations optimized for this device (plus some occasional new games). Also,

Well that's your problem then isn't it.

Arbitrarily restricting yourself to a single ecosystem is a fools errand. Considering you're begging for a handheld from them they clearly aren't giving you the means to play the games you want in the way that you'd ideally want to play them.

A PC handheld would enable you to play pretty much all of the games from the eras you mentioned (either natively or via emulation) and a whole lot more. And considering the age of the games in question you would be able to pick them up for next to nothing (literally a couple of dollars each).

So you have a choice to get the experience you want or... You can beg/hope.

Good news. I thought they'll bring Everwild over just as a last hurrah. This means that existing live service games like Sea of Thieves and Minecraft, will get upcoming seasons/expansions though. But overall, good news.

Sony's last was GoW: Ragnarok right? No more from their first party too?

Batiman

Banned
Well...I was on Twitter and there's a big topic about the impact of the Xbox One. And so far, a lot of people remember it more fondly than what the Series consoles have provided them this gen. I said it's still early but the way things are going with Gamepass and quality games, I'm leaning towards the Series console ultimately not even beating the little impact that the Xbox one provided exclusive-wise.
I look fondly on my PS4 over ps5. Doesn’t mean nothing. This gen has been soft compared to last gen. TBH I would say my xbox one got more use than my PS4 the first half of the gen at least

Three

Thing was dead with third parties not even making games for it even though they did for other last gen consoles. It was only a matter of time that MS themselves followed suit. Especially as they have to develop games for 4 consoles and PC.

feynoob

Banned
Let's goooooooooo

or I guess I should say

Let gooooooooooo
lets-go.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member
And imo this is a great use of streaming. Tbh I also expect Series S to start doing this later in the gen for some games as well.
Starfield, A Plague Tale Requiem, FS2020, Forza Motorsports, Ghostwire Tokyo, etc. say the opposite.

Given how Starfield started pushing the systems, it's clear currently in development games won't run on Xbone/X anymore. Good for them, they can save time/money on games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For those that argued why Capcom did not make an XB1 version in the UK boxed sales thread as if that would have changed anything... this is why.

There is no money in it for ROI.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Xbox one had a horrible launch compared to PlayStation but it was better than the series because at least it had Ryse son of Rome, Forza 5 and Killer Instinct.
And the Series X has Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, Pentiment, Age of Empires 2, Immortality, Gears Tactics, and soon Forza Motorsport and Starfield. Seems a win for Series consoles to me.

feynoob

Banned
Xbox one had a horrible launch compared to PlayStation but it was better than the series because at least it had Ryse son of Rome, Forza 5 and Killer Instinct.
If you mean launch games yes, Xbox one had better 2 years.
But with starfield this year, none of these games can be compared to Skyrim.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If what is shown in this video is shit, then I don't know what gaming is. Too many people are going crazy about starfield.

Enjoy this video again, because we are in for a ride.

It doesn't matter how big or feature rich any single game is, because unless that's the only game you ever want to play, you will get bored of it.
What's more, not every ride can be the most fun thing the theme-park. Doubtless like every game before it, its going to have some bits that are more enjoyable than others for each individual user.,

Acting like there is a "game of the forever" is just madness.

Unless you think its somehow going to have the absolute best-in-class in every aspect - which is improbable to say the least, given that in the history of gaming noone has ever done this! - then best case is *realistically* high expectations.

I'm sure some people are getting all jelly that this because its not coming to their plastic box of choice, but please understand that some of us are genuinely indifferent. The premise simply isn't going to be universally compelling.

Bottom line: I'm sincerely happy that some you guys are really looking forward to Starfield. But please, and I'm addressing this generally, not individually, maybe dial back on the rhetoric than anyone not equally rapt about the game is motivated by envy. Its silly when gaming is such a broad church that there's stuff to excite everyone.

feynoob

Banned
It doesn't matter how big or feature rich any single game is, because unless that's the only game you ever want to play, you will get bored of it.
What's more, not every ride can be the most fun thing the theme-park. Doubtless like every game before it, its going to have some bits that are more enjoyable than others for each individual user.,

Acting like there is a "game of the forever" is just madness.

Unless you think its somehow going to have the absolute best-in-class in every aspect - which is improbable to say the least, given that in the history of gaming noone has ever done this! - then best case is *realistically* high expectations.

I'm sure some people are getting all jelly that this because its not coming to their plastic box of choice, but please understand that some of us are genuinely indifferent. The premise simply isn't going to be universally compelling.

Bottom line: I'm sincerely happy that some you guys are really looking forward to Starfield. But please, and I'm addressing this generally, not individually, maybe dial back on the rhetoric than anyone not equally rapt about the game is motivated by envy. Its silly when gaming is such a broad church that there's stuff to excite everyone.
There is a taste, then there is downplaying.

Not everyone is going to play or oike starfield. But acting it as it's going to be bad as fallout76 is plainly trolling.

stranno

The RAM bandwidth and GPU limitations were just too much to provide decent ports of modern games, compared to Playstation 4.

But it is a shame for XBOX One X. I have one and, to be honest, I never saw a big difference compared to Playstation 4 Pro, when the console is supposedly noticeable more powerful. Not only that, they completely screwed the South Bridge in the One X model. Mine has destroyed two HDDs already cause of the heat. At least it provided some 4K games, so you can run them at 4K on XBOX Series X with back compatibility. But, in the other hand, you are stucked with 900P for native XBOX One games. Hope MS can hack that in the future.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Series S since this was about them dropping the Xbox One altogether.

Dropping a current gen console they're still actively selling and forms a significant part of the mix would be a really bad look

And last gen is JUST getting dropped now. I don't think the Series S is holding anything back remotely as much as people are exaggerating it as.

DryvBy

Dropping a current gen console they're still actively selling and forms a significant part of the mix would be a really bad look

And last gen is JUST getting dropped now. I don't think the Series S is holding anything back remotely as much as people are exaggerating it as.
(It was a joke, making fun of how dumb the Series S is...)

skit_data

Good on them, let's hope we have seen the last of crossgen games on Playstations side too. I can see some of their upcoming multiplayer titles releasing on PS4 too but I hope Spider-Man 2 being indicative of their main studios focusing on next gen only.

Ansphn

If you mean launch games yes, Xbox one had better 2 years.
But with starfield this year, none of these games can be compared to Skyrim.
Why do you put Starfield up there with Skyrim? It has not proven to be on that level nor have Bethesda been able to reach that level in years. Fallout 4 was mid and forgotten and Fallout 76 was horrible. What gives you the confidence that Bethesda can get to that Skyrim peak ever again?

Ansphn

And the Series X has Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, Flight Simulator, Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, Pentiment, Age of Empires 2, Immortality, Gears Tactics, and soon Forza Motorsport and Starfield. Seems a win for Series consoles to me.
That was launch titles. The past 2 years of the series consoles have not been up to par even compared to the Xbone. Also how you know Starfield will be good?

Last edited:
Top Bottom