• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: Xbox studio exclusives won't be 90 hour AAA games but as close to AAA as possible.

Wunray

If this click bait title was true............so what? Most AA games last anywhere between 20-30 hours and sony exclusives generally don't go over 40 - 45 hours so they're fine. But this is the thing Sony does have over microsoft though, them diverse exclusives 1st and 2nd party.

But in all honesty, as an xbox fan that thought xbox needs to step up their first party and thought so for years, this isn't the kind of statement you want to make or the type of thing you want to communicate. I think Microsoft's communication has been so flawless up to this point for series x, and everytime you think there's a glitch somewhere, it tends to involve matt booty seemingly clueless to the impact of his words. Even when it's seemingly innocent or expected, he just finds the worst way imaginable to say that thing to feed perfectly into whatever the most negative perception or concern is about buying an xbox.

Note to xbox, stop letting this guy talk. He's not doing a good job when he communicates. He most likely means well, but he appears either ignorant of how the things he says comes off, or knows and doesn't care, which is even worse. And that's coming from someone who is a big xbox fan. If I was Sony and I wanted to pay a top xbox guy right now to say exactly the thing I hoped or needed them to say, the drafted statement would sound almost near identical to what matt booty just said.

Know what I think about this now? I know playground will kill, I have full faith in Obsidian, I have high hopes in Ninja Theory, and there's other talent there also, but this statement worded as is makes you think like they may not necessarily have the freedom we thought they did. This sounded more like they're all being directed towards making smaller titles. And if I as a hardcore xbox fan now have less hope in the new acquisitions and have now more or less taken a mindset where it's like "alright then, let's go 343, let's go coalition, initiative, turn 10, rare etc" since I guess we expect THEM to make big titles right? How might some others view it? I'm an optimistic fellow, but this sounds to me like those teams don't have the freedom I thought they did, which is the perfect message you want to be sending right now I'm sure!

So, yea, I thought it wasn't that bad till i listened to it.

Okay, so it's an old interview. Looks like I was trolled and maybe overreacted. I still find the statements ridiculous though and they don't inspire much confidence in the acquisitions being able to do their thing, but considering he said them a good while ago they're less outrageous in context. Still, he's not the best communicator i think lol.

Stuart360

What do they say in the video?
Wait, you have been shitposting in this thread and you havent even watched the video yet?. Well watch it. Booty was talking about 2 of the smaller studios they bought, and how they dont have the resources to make huge AAA level games, but Microsoft are going to give them the resources needed to get their games as close to AAA level as possible. There is no point where he talks about a strategy of their studios making AA or Indie level games and throwing them onto Gamepass.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Wait, you have been shitposting in this thread and you havent even watched the video yet?. Well watch it. Booty was talking about 2 of the smaller studios they bought, and how they dont have the resources to make huge AAA level games, but Microsoft are going to give them the resources needed to get their games as close to AAA level as possible. There is no point where he talks about a strategy of their studios making AA or Indie level games and throwing them onto Gamepass.
I watched the clip and it sounds pretty straightforward

And seeing most of the studios they've bought it does seem like they're going for quantity tbh

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
bh98q6ff1fk41.png

Cant wait to play this shit next gen

Stuart360

And seeing most of the studios they've bought it does seem like they're going for quantity
It is pretty straightforward, and if you look at my post on the first page, i even understood what he was saying when all we had was the cringy 30 second edited video, and before Dynamite Cop posted the full vid.
People see what they want to see i guess.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Its is pretty straightforward, and if you look at my post on the first page, i even understood what he was saying when all we had was the cringy 30 second edited video, and before Dynamite Cop posted the full vid.
People see what they want to see i guess.
The proof is in the pudding, look at the ratio of AAA studios to AA that they've bought lately

Undead Labs
Inexile
Compulsion
Double Fine
Ninja Theory
The Initiative

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
That comes with 0 surprise, concidering how bad is the XBOX One 1st party library. It has been known they would create more B-tiers games than Sony and Nintendo. Considering the hardware, it will be ok. I expect less shit and dramas from them this gen. That's a smart move.

So if Xbox games are all B-tier what does that make Sony Games?

Metacritic 10 Annual Publisher rankings -- Xbox game Studios at #7 Sony at #22

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

2019 is one year, what about the rest of this generation 🤔

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Just saying, unlike TFlops in Publisher rankings the smaller number is the better number.

brap

Banned
In a recent interview, Matt Booty (head of Microsoft studios) stated that, games from the recently acquired studios aren't going to be "90 hour AAA games" but games that can be close to AAA games built by small teams.

So just indie and AA shit? Nothing to see here folks. The same old same old.

slade

The disparity between the average Metascore is only 5 points despite Sony releasing 9 more games then MS.

Reading the blurb underneath both also tells you that MS's sole crowning achievement for the year was a port of a 2015 title on the Switch. It also says they only released sequels and ports. Sony gambled on Death Stranding, which while divisive, also was praised for its unique gameplay. It didn't work out for Sony but it also shows the mindset of both companies when it comes to games.

Anyway, this thread started with a quote taken out of context but MS hasn't shown anything yet which tells us that they are as invested in game development as Sony.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some of the best games out there are AA and relatively short games. Length should never be equivalent of quality (although that doesn't mean that lengthy games can't be of great quality either). Budget also doesn't mean much either. Personally i prefer AA because they usually have more freedom to try new things. Gameplay and Art direction are much more important than graphics and performance. At least for me.
This, most my favourite games this generation where AA games, to me it all about the actual designers behind the games rather than tech and having big budget.

Last edited:

Goliathy

Banned

And seeing most of the studios they've bought it does seem like they're going for quantity tbh

WTF. He said the EXACT opposite. Well crafted high quality games with a great story and detail, like hellblade.

What are you talking about? Did you even watch the video? Ffs

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well he's actually saying some of the smaller studios arent equipped for AAA level games, but they are going to provide the resources to get them as close as possible.
Which shows they are actually pushing for MORE AAA level games not less. Total thread backfire.

Thats even better 😎

Hellblade was a great game, but you could see where they sacrificed compared to AAA.

Hellblade 1 had a budget of $20 million, if ms doubles that and ninja theory having ms and the other xgs devs to get help from, I think hellblade 2 could be very very close to AAA games.

Goliathy

Banned
Thats even better 😎

Hellblade was a great game, but you could see where they sacrificed compared to AAA.

Hellblade 1 had a budget of $20 million, if ms doubles that and ninja theory having ms and the other xgs devs to get help from, I think hellblade 2 could be very very close to AAA games.

I think MS wants to be profitable. Just look at Dreams. Like 5 years in development and just 1500 sold copies in Japan in the first week and not even in the top 20 of NPD...
It’s just not worth it if you lose so much money in a game.

Max_Po

Banned
Hot tip
Most of Sonys non open world first party output fell into the same bucket time wise

If you took out all the repetitive enemies and areas in god of war you would have a 3 hour game

LMAO... MS and 12 Teraflops can't help retards like you.

What a colossal idiot.... look like he graduated with a degree in stupidity and skipped game design...

I am okay with non sense threads likes these ... which easily expose this type of retarded shit... R O F L

Kagey K

Banned
LMAO... MS and 12 Teraflops can't help retards like you.

What a colossal idiot.... look like he graduated with a degree in stupidity and skipped game design...

I am okay with non sense threads likes these ... which easily expose this type of retarded shit... R O F L
You should probably slow it down cowboy.

No need for that mess.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think MS wants to be profitable. Just look at Dreams. Like 5 years in development and just 1500 sold copies in Japan in the first week and not even in the top 20 of NPD...

I think they will aim for 2-4 AAA games a year and 4 -7 AA.5 per year.
I hope they learn that big franchises can get stale. Gears 5 was a great game, the coalition really pushed the boat out on what the franchise can be, but the gameplay is the same core gameplay that gears 1 had.
This happens to all franchises, I dont think gears has to be defined by its iconic rodeo run and cover mechanics, i think the game can be more with a more dynamic.
This shift identity has already happend, gears 5 had some lite rpg leveling up elements, it had open world exploration and the story was the best one yet. ms brought the gears IP for a pretty penny, but they can't just rely on the IP strength alone.
I think they should continue the story of gears 6, but they should reboot the gameplay, have a similar rodeo run and cover system but make the characters more agile and introduce the ability to jump and climb.
After gears 6 they should give the franchise a break.

Max_Po

Banned
You should probably slow it down cowboy.

No need for that mess.

I hate to say this, but having 10+ useless thread per day.. and fundamentally not understanding game design needs to be called out...

Sure, AAA does not mean 90+ hours... but that is not how game design works...or categorized....

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I love the fanboys in here thinking sony or nintendo have 90 hour AAA games...

They are.
If you replay them 5-6 times.

The Last Guardian took even longer if I recall and also didn't storm the sales charts, to say the least.

Top Bottom