• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: Xbox studio exclusives won't be 90 hour AAA games but as close to AAA as possible.

I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing out more AA games. Too many AAA games that are more flash than substance in the past 6-7 years. I guess you can make it as close to AAA if that will help it sell more copies but more importantly make it interesting and fun to play.

Last edited:
Also Sony seems to think that only bringing out AAA games matter. Remember Gravity Rush 2?

Point is Sony has all bases covered, AND also competes with Nintendo with GotY titles (which happen to be AAA experiencces).

MS seems to be on a pretty dire trajectory. All well and good boasting about Seties X hardware specs, but what about the gigantic white elephant in the room, the games?

Dont tell me 'multiplatform is where its at' as we can play them cheaper on current gen or with the best fidelity/settings on PC.

geordiemp

I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing out more AA games. Too many AAA games that are more flash than substance in the past 6-7 years. I guess you can make it as close to AAA if that will help it sell more copies but more importantly make it interesting and fun to play.

Problem is I have a huge backlog of AAA with third party, so it is of no interest as games would just sit there.

WE mainly play Ps4pro, but have an Xbox with gamepass and although Gears and Sunset is waiting, so are so many other third party saying I am next.

I would rather have more God of war or Gears quality, its not about the length its the polish than a bunch of less that I wont get around to for god knows. And for Xbox thats Halo and Gears only atm, I dont stick to racing games

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Point is Sony has all bases covered, AND also competes with Nintendo with GotY titles (which happen to be AAA experiencces).

MS seems to be on a pretty dire trajectory. All well and good boasting about Seties X hardware specs, but what about the gigantic white elephant in the room, the games?

Dont tell me 'multiplatform is where its at' as we can play them cheaper on current gen or with the best fidelity/settings on PC.

Ftp multiplayer multi console games is where it's at and both systems have tht already so tht definitely is a moot point. Not to mention Microsofts mp focused games have been very médiocre last few years. Gears 5 was OK but frankly uncharted 4 mp did way more, was more dynamic and looked better.

Sony Def has all bases covered and VR games so they are way above in that regard.

Last edited:

Goliathy

Banned

Metacritic 2019:
MS at #7.
Sony not even in top 20

MS bought a lot of great studios. Metacritic reflects that

Last edited:

Koopatrol

This is a pretty great list. I'm very curious as to what Playground's RPG will be like. Same goes for Obsidian.

My biggest complaint with Xbox is that, historically speaking, they haven't had that many games that grabbed my attention, and their first party management has been somewhat iffy. That's the main reason why I sold my Xbox One a few years back. However, I REALLY want Microsoft to make me want to get an Xbox. They've definitely taken steps in the right direction with their acquisitions, so hopefully we start seeing some really stellar games.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They've shown for the past 10 years there is no long term plan for the development of their studios.

Their modus operandi is make us much money from gamers as possible, be that paid online, microtransactions or now games as a sub.
Another bullshit you made up. Microsoft never has been deep into the MTX drama. Most of their online games like Killer Instinct, Sea of Theives, State of Decay 2(the recent upgrade was free) and Forza Horizon 4(older Forza games had some form of MTX but now its completely gone) have little or no MTX. Even Sony's online games like Driveclub, Gran Turismo Sport and MLB The Show have MTX(I am not saying its bad MTX). And yes, Forza Horizon 4 is a AAA mostly online game with no MTX.
no long term plan for the development of their studios.
Oh Please.
Nice bait, but Sony has closed more studios than Microsoft
989 Studios (closed in 2005)
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012)
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Evolution Studios(closed in 2016)
Incognito Entertainment(closed in 2009)
Studio Liverpool(closed in 2012)
Zipper Interactive(closed in 2012)
Guerrilla Cambridge(closed in 2017)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)
Manchester Studio(closed in 2020)

Last edited:

Alphagear

Seeing what Microsoft did to RARE, I dont have much hope. Only AAA title from Microsoft is Halo and thats been average since Bungie jumped ship. Doesnt help that the standards for FPS is very high these days. Halo simply doesn't stand out.

Koopatrol

Nice bait, but Sony has closed more studios than Microsoft
989 Studios (closed in 2005)
Bigbig Studios(closed in 2012)
Contrail(closed in 2000)
Evolution Studios(closed in 2016)
Incognito Entertainment(closed in 2009)
Studio Liverpool(closed in 2012)
Zipper Interactive(closed in 2012)
Guerrilla Cambridge(closed in 2017)
Team Ico(closed in 2011)
Manchester Studio(closed in 2020)
Also, what has Microsoft done to Bungie ? They made them independent like they wanted.

Losing studios isn't good, but not all of these are necessarily closures.

SIE San Diego is the successor to 989 Studios (MLB games).
XDev fulfills the need that Contrail left behind, also formed the same year in 2000.
Team ICO dissolved because Ueda left Sony. The actual studio that Team ICO was a part of remains though, SIE Japan Studio.

All of the other ones are bad though, and it's a shame Sony shut some of them down. Particularly Studio Liverpool. RIP.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

You're right, can't say the same about Sony who runs studios to the ground faster than EA:

Bigbig Studios
Camden Studio
Evolution Studios
Guerrilla Cambridge
Incognito Entertainment
Manchester Studio
Studio Liverpool
Sony Online Entertainment
Zipper Interactive

And bonus:
Halo 5 meta: 84

The last 2 PS4 exclusives:

Days Gone - 71
Death Stranding - 82

Please come back with more "arguments" to play yourself again, kind of fun.

If you actually think Xbox exclusive compare to Playstation or nintedo.... then lol and good day.

So Xbox has the more powerful system and does better 1st party games.... Must be A conspiracy why they sold half of PS4..... 🙄

Actually the last Exclusive was Nioh 2 and the meta critic was 85, if you metacritics are your thing....why dont you compare Halo 5 to the PS4 Exclusives from other years?

Bloodborne,
Mlb the show,
Until Dawn,
Hell divers... which was a slow year

or 2016 if you prefer?

Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Street fighter V
king of fighters
Persona 5
The Witness
The last guardian

Horizon Zero dawn
Gran Turismp Sport
God of War

Ftp multiplayer multi console games is where it's at and both systems have tht already so tht definitely is a moot point. Not to mention Microsofts mp focused games have been very médiocre last few years. Gears 5 was OK but frankly uncharted 4 mp did way more, was more dynamic and looked better.

Sony Def has all bases covered and VR games so they are way above in that regard.

Oh god yeah I forgot, MS hasn't even got a VR solution.

It's just way too much misplaced focus on hardware specs from MS, like some delusion that having higher on paper specs means they 'win', which only appeals to a few hundred Xbox diehards, but means they'll lose the game again this gen and finish 3rd.

It seems like some kind of fantasy with the way top brass at MS keep repeating 'no way we lose the power game', thinking that was the sole reason they lost marketshare with XB1, and that's more important than games for next gen. This is wrong, and when their ass falls out with low sales again who knows if they'll wake up and start making actual intelligent moves.

Another bullshit you made up. Microsoft never has been deep into the MTX drama. Most of their online games like Killer Instinct, Sea of Theives, State of Decay 2(the recent upgrade was free) and Forza Horizon 4(older Forza games had some form of MTX but now its completely gone) have little or no MTX. Even Sony's online games like Driveclub, Gran Turismo Sport and MLB The Show have MTX(I am not saying its bad MTX). And yes, Forza Horizon 4 is a AAA mostly online game with no MTX.

Oh Please.

Come off it.

When I say no long term plan, I mean they're not fostering their studios and studio culture to improve and develop. I don't know wtf closures has to do with anything.

Look at the trajectory of Sony's core studios:

- Sony Santa Monica went from mediocre to good to their magnum opus this gen (God of War PS4)
- Naughty Dog went from mediocre to good to their magnum opus this gen (Uncharted 4 and no doubt TLOU2)
- Guerilla Games went from mediocre to good to again, their magnum opus last game (Horizon: ZD)
- Sony Bend went from mediocre to good to their best game ever (Days Gone)

I'd even argue Quantic Dream have seen a similar fostering and development as Detroit is their best game. All of these studios have produced their best work with their last titles under the Sony Game Studios wings.

JLB

Banned
This is a pretty great list. I'm very curious as to what Playground's RPG will be like. Same goes for Obsidian.

My biggest complaint with Xbox is that, historically speaking, they haven't had that many games that grabbed my attention, and their first party management has been somewhat iffy. That's the main reason why I sold my Xbox One a few years back. However, I REALLY want Microsoft to make me want to get an Xbox. They've definitely taken steps in the right direction with their acquisitions, so hopefully we start seeing some really stellar games.

Pretty sure Obsidian is POE3.

JLB

Banned
If you actually think Xbox exclusive compare to Playstation or nintedo.... then lol and good day.

So Xbox has the more powerful system and does better 1st party games.... Must be A conspiracy why they sold half of PS4..... 🙄

Actually the last Exclusive was Nioh 2 and the meta critic was 85, if you metacritics are your thing....why dont you compare Halo 5 to the PS4 Exclusives from other years?

Bloodborne,
Mlb the show,
Until Dawn,

or 2016 if you prefer?

Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Street fighter V
king of fighters
Persona 5
The Witness
The last guardian

Horizon Zero dawn
Gran Turismp Sport
God of War

By that standard, last MS exclusive is Ori, which is at 89 in metacritic.
In any case, sales are not a single variable function.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Bloodborne,
Mlb the show,
Until Dawn,

or 2016 if you prefer?

Uncharted 4
Ratchet and Clank
Street fighter V
king of fighters
Persona 5
The Witness
The last guardian

Horizon Zero dawn
Gran Turismp Sport
God of War

💤💤💤😴😴

TBiddy

Come off it.

When I say no long term plan, I mean they're not fostering their studios and studio culture to improve and develop. I don't know wtf closures has to do with anything.

- Sony Santa Monica went from mediocre to good to their magnum opus this gen (God of War PS4)
- Naughty Dog went from mediocre to good to their magnum opus this gen (Uncharted 4 and no doubt TLOU2)
- Guerilla Games went from mediocre to good to again, their magnum opus last game (Horizon: ZD)

I'd even argue Quantic Dream have seen a similar fostering and development as Detroit is their best game. All of these studios have produced their best work with their last titles under the Sony Game Studios wings.

Isn't that exactly what Microsoft is trying to do? They buy up smaller studios and allow them to build up their skill level. So people shit on Microsoft when their studios release mediocre games and build up their skills and people shit on Microsoft for not "fostering" their studios. It's a catch 22.

Bottomline - As usual, you're spewing FUD.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm also kind of sure that it takes around 100 hours to do most of the stuff in the last two Assassin's Creed games, especially Odyssey.

I spent way over 100 hours on each of them especially AC: Odyssey, especially with the DLC. In Odyssey the 2 DLC expansions were much longer AND better than any of the UC games. Loved both of of the last 2 AC games, Odyessy is one of my top games this gen after HZD & QB.

mejin

MS first party will always have a lot of pressure. People use Sony as a parameter. In their 3rd gen, Sony gave a big jump on their first party output and consolidated themselves on their 4th.

MS is going for their 4th gen, it took them long enough to start spend good money on their first party, but all we have now are promises. Like I said, pressure.

"gamepass model" games won't help at all in the overall quality of first party games, so AAA games need to shine. Basically, MS needs to do what Sony in the PS3 era.

GymWolf

d
Come off it.

tlou1 and uncharted 2 are both far better games than U4 except for the graphics.

Bernkastel

Pretty sure Obsidian is POE3.
They are not doing POE3 unless they come up with something new
There big fantasy project is rumored to be in the same world.
Sawyer is now doing a new Unity project

Bernkastel

tlou1 and uncharted 2 are both far better games than U4 except for the graphics.
But what about before that ? Uncharted 1 and before Sony buyout. They were nurtured to be what they are today after they were bought. People act like Microsoft only buys small studios and Sony buys big AAA studios

TechS3ek

Neo Member
unfortunately no matter how much you are confident at Microsoft, on delivering a powerful machine, equally you should be confident that SONY is The company that delievers on the promise of true AAA exclusive games., its almost guaranteed. xbox fanboys can go a head and enjoy their victory for having a more powerful machine, but at the end of the day it boils down to Games. Xbox one x was superior than PS4 Pro, but it was Playstation where you would have had access to variety of AAA exclusive games, where you could truly appreciate the machine you are owning, cuz at the end of the day no matter how much powerful is a machine, it won't matter for 3rd party games as much as it does for exclusives.

Last edited:
unfortunately no matter how much you are confident at Microsoft, on delivering a powerful machine, equally you should be confident that SONY is The company that delievers on the promise of true AAA exclusive games. this is almost guarantee. xbox fanboys can go a head and enjoy their victory for having a more powerful machine, but at the end of the day it boils down to Games. Xbox one x was superior than PS4 Pro, but it was Playstation where you would have had access to variety of AAA exclusive games, where you could truly appreciate the machine you are owning, cuz at the end of the day no matter how much powerful is a machine, it won't matter for 3rd party games as much as it does for exclusives.
Who are you talking to?

Bernkastel

XDev fulfills the need that Contrail left behind, also formed the same year in 2000.
Team ICO dissolved because Ueda left Sony. The actual studio that Team ICO was a part of remains though, SIE Japan Studio.

All of the other ones are bad though, and it's a shame Sony shut some of them down. Particularly Studio Liverpool. RIP.
Thats like saying the new Playground Games studio is Lionhead because they are also doing Fable(they even have some ex-Lionhead staff). SIE San Diego and 989 are two different studios. They still used the 989 brand name for sports game for a while.
Again different studios. One is based of Japan and other on England.
Most of Team Ico staff left with Ueda to form genDESIGN
Even Evolution and Guerilla Cambridge ?
Bigbig Studios - Pursuit Force
Evolution Studios - WRC, Motorstorm and Driveclub
Incognito Entertainment - More Twisted Metal stuff
Studio Liverpool - Wipeout
Zipper Interactive - SOCOM
Guerrilla Cambridge - MediEvil
Heres what a Zipper Interactive employee says about their closure
If you think SONY is going to listen to the SOCOM community who has already given SONY quite a bit of money, you are mistaken. SONY has moved on (Notice Zipper is gone). They no longer wish to compete with CoD, since CoD already helps sell PS3 units. Look at Hockey, 989 Sports used to make Hockey games, but they stopped, why? They could not touch the competition, so no longer wished to try.

Bernkastel

Come off it.

Coalition - They went from making Facebook and Kinect games to mainline Gears. And now some rumors say they are doing Perfect Dark. They were created from the ground up.
343i and Turn 10 - They are also created by Microsoft not bought, just like Initiative
Playground Games - Did good with Forza Horizon and now a second studio rapidly growing for a AAA RPG project.
Most of the newly bought studios are also growing with new hires.

thelastword

Banned
What did people expect really, that these studios would compete with AAA games from SWWS? Most of MS studios are now indie and most of their game output will be gamepass driven, catering to the lowest common denominator which is the XBONES......I see MS boasting 12TF and also self-slapping themselves with this limitation of no real exclusives or a lower ambition overall from their first party studios...

Psykodad

Banned

Team ICO wasn't even a studio.

Bernkastel

Oh god yeah I forgot, MS hasn't even got a VR solution.

It's just way too much misplaced focus on hardware specs from MS, like some delusion that having higher on paper specs means they 'win', which only appeals to a few hundred Xbox diehards, but means they'll lose the game again this gen and finish 3rd.

It seems like some kind of fantasy with the way top brass at MS keep repeating 'no way we lose the power game', thinking that was the sole reason they lost marketshare with XB1, and that's more important than games for next gen. This is wrong, and when their ass falls out with low sales again who knows if they'll wake up and start making actual intelligent moves.
They have a VR solution - its called Windows Mixed Reality. Eventually Microsoft will release a VR headset with Windows Mixed Reality when the software is ready and start pushing VR games. It can even play Steam VR games.

They have a VR solution - its called Windows Mixed Reality. Eventually Microsoft will release a VR headset with Windows Mixed Reality when the software is ready and start pushing VR games. It can even play Steam VR games.

It's already here. Partnership of HP, MS and Valve.

But eventually they will release their own too.
I don't think so. I think they'll continue to work in collaboration and to leverage the Valve/Steam side of it. It makes more sense that way. The timing to "get in" to the VR at this point requires a lot of support and existing infrastructure. Not just in terms of tech but games and existing offerings. I think that's why a HP/MS/Valve solution is their solution and future compatibility will come from that foundation.

TaroYamada

I don't see an issue with B-tier games but this clip also seems misleading. That said hopefully they are more promising than the B tier we are seeing from MS first party so far.

Top Bottom