• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: Xbox studio exclusives won't be 90 hour AAA games but as close to AAA as possible.

f2gAWBg.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
no idea what hes saying here. only the witcher 3 is a 90 hour AAA game. most games top out at 30-50 hours. RDR2, GoW, TLOU2, Horizon etc are in that range.

I am ok with an 8-10 hour campaign. nothing wrong with that. But i think hes saying we wont even have that. I dont want Hellblade quality AAA games from them. I want something like Uncharted or the PS3 god of war games. 10-15 hours max is fine with me.

Leyasu

Banned
So they invested seriously in studios and made an impressive next gen console just for gamepass filler?

We'll see. Besides, the message coming from the new studios and Phil has been that they can do what they want. I am more inclined to believe that most of the acquired studios were bought because they can have small teams working on side projects, whilst maintaining large projects at the same time. Look at NT with Bleeding edge and Hellblade 2 and Obsidian with The outer worlds, their new survival game and the fact that they have confirmed a new RPG is in the works.

Bankai

There are plenty of GREAT indie / AA games out there. Who cares if it's AA/indie, when you got games like:
- Inside
- Dead Cells
- Undertale
- Gravity Rush
- Dragons Dogma
And I wonder what I would call a game like The Outer Worlds, 'cause it's not AAA right?

Sacred

Yeah this a load of horseshit, cuts off the video before explaining what he actually meant. Teams with multiple teams won't be building 90 hour titles, but they will have a flagship team developing a big budget title and the smaller teams with a lower budget then AAA titles.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm curious what 90 hour AAA titles are currently available anyway (excluding multiplayer games whose length depends moreso on quality instead of raw quantity of content).

We all have our favs, sure, and I've sunk 100s of hours into certain games, but most AAA titles only last me 10-40 hours.

I don't understand why they'd phrase it this way.

GymWolf

I'm curious what 90 hour AAA titles are currently available anyway (excluding multiplayer games whose length depends moreso on quality instead of raw quantity of content).

We all have our favs, sure, and I've sunk 100s of hours into certain games, but most AAA titles only last me 10-40 hours.

i think he was talking about open world or action rpg games where you put at least 50 (to 100) hours.
90 hours was an exageration on his part probably.

mortal

Gold Member
I don't understand this metric. More game length doesn't necessarily guarantee a better experience.

Sometimes games overstay their welcome if the pacing, game design or controls are bad. Regardless if they're 15 hours long or 80 hours long.

''Keep your expectations really low, players'', is what I think he's trying to say,
Some people think MS' new studios are going to shit nonstop quality games in the upcoming gen, but I think they've got another thing coming.

Birdo

Banned
It was kind of obvious from the Devs that they purchased, with exception to Obsidian.

These studios would be making AA filler stuff for Game Pass, and the bigger ones will be doing the big franchise stuff.

GHG

There are plenty of GREAT indie / AA games out there. Who cares if it's AA/indie, when you got games like:
- Inside
- Dead Cells
- Undertale
- Gravity Rush
- Dragons Dogma
And I wonder what I would call a game like The Outer Worlds, 'cause it's not AAA right?

The problem is that they don't have a great track record of producing AA games. Their best output in recent years has been AAA.

The Ori games are the only AA games that they've published that are worth shouting about but those games were made by Moon who are an independent studio.

They've got a lot of work and progress to make if they want to make games worth a damn in this segment.

As long as they remain priced as such, I don’t see a big deal. And clearly this interview was edited out of context because we know some of the studios are working on AAA titles.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
i think he was talking about open world or action rpg games where you put at least 50 (to 100) hours.
90 hours was an exageration on his part probably.
I could be out of touch with the modern AAA market for those genres but I'm guessing most people still only sink 40-60 hours (on average) into stuff like AssCreed and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Are there any 90-hour Sony AAA exclusives?
...Or Nintendo?

...Or any major AAA publisher?

I'm curious why they're holding themselves up to this standard when competitors aren't.

Reactions: GHG

Sacred

Compulsion, The Intiative, Playground, Ninja Theory, and Inxile have already said they have big budget AAA titles in the works. We know Obsidian has 2 in the works, of course 343 and Coalition will be given a blank check. So that the majority of the studios, this is 100% clickbait.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I could be out of touch with the modern AAA market for those genres but I'm guessing most people still only sink 40-60 hours (on average) into stuff like AssCreed and Red Dead Redemption 2.

...Or Nintendo?

I'm curious why they're holding themselves up to this standard when competitors aren't.
I’d say RDR, ACO, ES, DA all fit his bill of huge AAA 90 hr games

The problem is that they don't have a great track record of producing AA games. Their best output in recent years has been AAA.

The Ori games are the only AA games that they've published that are worth shouting about but those games were made by Moon who are an independent studio.

They've got a lot of work and progress to make if they want to make games worth a damn in this segment.
But Inxile, Obsidian, Ninja Theory and Double Fine all SCREAM AA game, literally.

I think that's what he wanted to say.

Reactions: GHG

GymWolf

...Or Nintendo?

depends on how much time you lose with completionist stuff, sidequest, etc.
both rdr2 and ac odissey are full of stuff to do so 100 hours are not so hard to imagine for some people.

i mean, i did almost 100 hours on horizon just because i love the combat system...

GHG

I’d say RDR, ACO, ES, DA all fit his bill of huge AAA 90 hr games

Third party publishers tend to make those games, not first party. The risk is too high to produce games that big and elaborate only to release them on a single platform.

Bergoglio

...Or Nintendo?

Maybe someone thinks that Sony can produce exclusives titles like RDR2? They don't do it with Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Naughty Dog.

Top Bottom