• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mat Piscatella: PC has been a huge part of the success of Helldivers II in the US.

rm082e

These two quotes are why going day and date with PC on every PS 1st game is stupid! Why should Sony chase Xbox, when they are cooking now their way?

I got back into the PC in 2011. I tried not to buy a PS4 and just do everything on PC. I was actually annoyed that I needed to buy one for Bloodborne, but I wasn't going to miss out on that game. It would up being one of my all time favorites, so I felt good about the PS4 purchase.

With the PS5, Demon's Souls was a launch title, so...yeah. I was logged into the Sony site on pre-order day.

But now that From (probably) won't do anymore PS exclusives, and TLOU games are coming to PC, I am not sure I will get a PS6. But the exclusives are the only real thing that draws me to their platform.

Topher

Gold Member
PC port begging, the thread?

PC port begging of a game that's already on PC?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I got back into the PC in 2011. I tried not to buy a PS4 and just do everything on PC. I was actually annoyed that I needed to buy one for Bloodborne, but I wasn't going to miss out on that game. It would up being one of my all time favorites, so I felt good about the PS4 purchase.

With the PS5, Demon's Souls was a launch title, so...yeah. I was logged into the Sony site on pre-order day.

But now that From (probably) won't do anymore PS exclusives, and TLOU games are coming to PC, I am not sure I will get a PS6. But the exclusives are the only real thing that draws me to their platform.

You think Sony won't work with FromSoftware in the future after they just bought a substantial amount of stock in the company?

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Elden Ring was PS6 exclusive.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You think Sony won't work with FromSoftware in the future after they just bought a substantial amount of stock in the company?

I wouldn't be surprised if the next Elden Ring was PS6 exclusive.
Good luck securing the kind of money that would convince From to make the game exclusive. They’ve gotten too big to sign exclusive deals for major titles.

A Bloodborne sequel could be exclusive but not sure how much interest From has in that. Elden Ring II being an exclusive has 0% chance of happening.

Last edited:
I know so many people who started their pc journey the last few years after being life long console gamers.

If sony don't find success on their own launcher and just port everything to steam than they will downsize in the future. Less games and even less risk than its today.
Yep. The launcher wars is everything. Best to start it sooner than later.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You got proof it sold close to 20mil alone on PC there champ? Denuvo gets cracked still.
Hardly. Denuvo's been the most effective anti piracy software in a while actually, some games like persona 5 Royal still aren't cracked on PC due to how effective it is.

also i'm pretty sure BG3 doesn't even have denuvo- it's DRM free

Gaiff

Imagine being a pc gamer in 2024 and pretending piracy isn’t a thing.
Nobody said it wasn’t, but you keep bringing it up as if it was somewhat relevant to the discussion. Your pirates won’t magically convert into buyers if you stop them from pirating lol. Hence why most of the best-selling PC games have no DRM or have been cracked Day 1. Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, Elden Ring, Skyrim, Baldur’s Gate 3, and a few others.

By contrast, some major titles that have yet to be cracked haven’t done do hot. Suicide Squad, Dead Space Remake, Jedi Survivor, Gotham Knights (took a while) and more.

quick math

lest take HD2 and an hipotetical PS PC Storefront. let's assume HD2 has sold 10M copies.

50% Steam (5M)
revenue 140M after the 30%

10% PSPC store (1M)
revenue 40M for sony

40% Play Station(4M)
revenue 208M adding PS+ subscription at 12USD to account for the less popular tiers. for a month.

This is why Sony just can't just fuck up their console bunsiess.

quick math

lest take HD2 and an hipotetical PS PC Storefront. let's assume HD2 has sold 10M copies.

50% Steam (5M)

10% PSPC store (1M)
revenue 40M for sony

40% Play Station(4M)
revenue 208M adding PS+ subscription at 12USD to account for the less popular tiers. for a month.

Your math is a little off since the Steam cut drops to 20% after revenue hits 50 million. Only the first 50 million is taxed at 30%.

demigod

Nobody said it wasn’t, but you keep bringing it up as if it was somewhat relevant to the discussion. Your pirates won’t magically convert into buyers if you stop them from pirating lol. Hence why most of the best-selling PC games have no DRM or have been cracked Day 1. Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3, Elden Ring, Skyrim, Baldur’s Gate 3, and a few others.

By contrast, some major titles that have yet to be cracked haven’t done do hot. Suicide Squad, Dead Space Remake, Jedi Survivor, Gotham Knights (took a while) and more.
Because it is relevant, go on thinking it isn’t. Why do you think it’s only GaaS games that are day and date with PC and not SP?

Gaiff

Because it is relevant, go on thinking it isn’t. Why do you think it’s only GaaS games that are day and date with PC and not SP?
1. Steam takes a 20-30% cut from sales.

2. Exclusives drive hardware sales which in turn drive accessories sales.

3. Most importantly, exclusives convert or keep more people in the PS ecosystem and the largest share of Sony’s profits come from PS+ and related services. Sony cannot afford to lose those because PC customers don’t buy PS+.

4. None of Sony’s games have DRM’s on PC so they sure as shit ain’t afraid of piracy, else they’d use Denuvo which takes a minimum of 90 days to crack most of the time.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
quick math

50% Steam (5M)

10% PSPC store (1M)
revenue 40M for sony

40% Play Station(4M)

Helldivers 2 is not responsbile for PS+ subs. Sony would have gotten PS+ money regardless of the game releasing or not.

demigod

1. Steam takes a 20-30% cut from sales.

2. Exclusives drive hardware sales which in turn drive accessories sales.

3. Most importantly, exclusives convert or keep more people in the PS ecosystem and the largest share of Sony’s profits come from PS+ and related services. Sony cannot afford to lose those because PC customers don’t buy PS+.

4. None of Sony’s games have DRM’s on PC so they sure as shit ain’t afraid of piracy, else they’d use Denuvo which takes a minimum of 90 days to crack most of the time.
4. Helldivers 2 says Hi. Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited:

demigod

Helldivers is an MP game lmao.

Sony is so scared of piracy that none of their games have DRMs? Sure lol.

Keep them laughing emojis coming while you get destroyed though.
Lol you just proved my point but go ahead and double down on not understanding what GaaS is.

Gaiff

Lol you just proved my point but go ahead and double down on not understanding what GaaS is.
No, I didn't. You're full of shit. The reason Sony isn't releasing their games Day 1 on PC is because it's more beneficial to keep them exclusives for a while for the reasons I mentioned. You suggested it's because piracy plays a major part, which is bullshit because none of their games have DRMs. If piracy was such a huge deal, all of their games would feature Denuvo or some other form of protection, but they don't because they don't give a shit about piracy, just like every game from CDPR is DRM-free despite PC being their largest install base.

Last edited:

demigod

No, I didn't. You're full of shit. The reason Sony isn't releasing their games Day 1 on PC is because it's more beneficial to keep them exclusives for a while for the reasons I mentioned. You suggested it's because piracy plays a major part, which is bullshit because none of their games have DRMs. If piracy was such a huge deal, all of their games would feature Denuvo or some other form of protection, but they don't because they don't give a shit about piracy, just like every game from CDPR is DRM-free despite PC being their largest install base.
Oh jesus this guy still doesn’t get it. You sure you’re a PC gamer there? Someone should tell him what GaaS is.

demigod

No, I did get it. Your piracy argument has been debunked. Now quit tap dancing and pretending you're talking about something else.
Nope it’s still the same. Here I’ll give you another chance. Why do you think it’s only GaaS games that are day and date with PC and not SP?

Don’t destroy your brain overthinking this, lol.

Gaiff

Nope it’s still the same. Here I’ll give you another chance. Why do you think it’s only GaaS games that are day and date with PC and not SP?

Don’t destroy your brain overthinking this, lol.
I already explained it to you above.

Now please tell me, how is piracy relevant when Sony's games don't even have DRMs on PC?

Three

There is a decent chance Until Dawn will be Day and Date.
True but at the same time that's an old PS4 game they're trying to remake. If somebody wanted to buy a PS for Until Dawn they surely would have by now. PS5 isn't losing any sales because Until Dawn went to PC too.

If they wanted to do the "ManaByte trojan horse" move they should use the friends list overlay to time the PC release with the PS+ release after they've exhausted sales on Playstation consoles. 4) profit.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Day and date on SP will never happen this or next gen. Piracy is still a thing.
Is it though? I mean with the ascension of steam and dirt cheap sales is it really? Especially with modern games needing to be updated so much piracy seems like an incredible hassle.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
PC has been a huge part of the success of Helldivers II in the US. With PC, Helldivers II is already the 7th highest grossing Sony published game in history. Without PC it wouldn't currently rank among the top 20.

The usual Sony crowd

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

It will be glorious watching the meltdowns as Sony moves more development towards GaaS.

Last edited:

Neofire

Oh boy the sneak agenda pushing. Any PC version is supposed to outsell any console version(considering how many capable PCs are out there). Especially seeing that the PS5 only 50 million units on the market. Let me know when this tread involves more than one title.

The dude that is tweeting this has made the "only one platform" statements in the past so it's hard ignore his bias. Besides I want to see the official split numbers from Sony.

No shit It sold more on PC?? Maybe It's because they are more PCs in the world than PS5's??
Bingo

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Oh boy the sneak agenda pushing. Any PC version is supposed to outsell any console version(considering how many capable PCs are out there). Especially seeing that the PS5 only 50 million units on the market. Let me know when this tread involves more than one title.

The dude that is tweeting this has made the "only one platform" statements in the past so it's hard ignore his bias. Besides I want to see the official split numbers from Sony.

I think we know the numbers are about 50:50 or so.

So yes, he's correct that PC is a big reason for HD2 success, but even without PC it would have been a huge success on PS5 alone.

demigod

PC has been a huge part of the success of Helldivers II in the US. With PC, Helldivers II is already the 7th highest grossing Sony published game in history. Without PC it wouldn't currently rank among the top 20.

The usual Sony crowd

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

It will be glorious watching the meltdowns as Sony moves more development towards GaaS.
Who’s the usual Sony crowd? You got names there buddy?

Guilty_AI

I want Sony day 1 pc ports just so i can watch all the coping and seething online. It was fairly entertaining during the time "Sony would never port their games to PC" or "HZD just got ported because of Death Stranding".

Last edited:
Top Bottom