• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gaming Industry] Helldivers 2 has sold overall, over 60% of it's sales on PC

Lunarorbit

Can someone explain why the other threads devolved into people arguing about PC versus ps sales?

Just saw pages of arguments and my eyes glazed over. Who is upset about a larger player base?

I didn't see people complaining about cheating which seems like the biggest concern BTW ps and PC games working together.

Just seems like a really weird thing to argue about as a Playstation lover.

Portugeezer

It was the correct choice launching this same day on PC. In terms of revenue, Sony gets only 70% of that PC userbase and they don't require PS Plus subscription. Much less valuable.

I still think the day and date strategy will ramp up even for some single player games.

darrylgorn

Yes, but we're not talking about PS5 hardware sales, guys. Cause that's what's really important. /s

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I honestly don’t know what the big deal is. It’s the same game. Its not helldivers vs starfield. Its helldivers vs helldivers. Who cares where it sells more? lol

If anything I’d be upset if i was a ps5 owner paying $85 a year for ps+ and unable to login because us PC gamers are hogging all the servers. But even then I’d expect them to be mad at Sony for not allocating more servers for paying ps+ customers and ps5 owners, not at PC gamers who still paid the same price for the actual game.

Senua

i guess PC gamers are more open into GaaS titles
There is no need to be upset at this news.

Big Hero GIF

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nothing wrong in principle with GaaS. MMORPG's proved the model decades ago.

The issue is that GaaS isn't usually done correctly; as in adequate content for initial buy-in price, regular updates and QOL maintenance, no excessive or predatory monetization practices, especially coercive strategies like pay-to-win or endless push notifications to drive addiction.

A good game, that you can play with friends for a long, long time is a worthwhile thing. Sadly it seems like the balance is rarely kept, especially over the long-haul.

reinking

Gold Member
I am still trying to figure out what the Gotcha is with this narrative. It is doing extremely well on both platforms. I think we all know Sony will bring more service games day one, they have pretty much confirmed it. I am surprised the gap is not a bit wider in favor of PC due to it being a shooter and being able to use m/kb. If/when I pick it up, it will be on PC for that reason. It is just a bit weird seeing this pushed as negative news when there is nothing negative about it.

Senua

I am still trying to figure out what the Gotcha is with this narrative. It is doing extremely well on both platforms. I think we all know Sony will bring more service games day one, they have pretty much confirmed it. I am surprised the gap is not a bit wider in favor of PC due to it being a shooter and being able to use m/kb. If/when I pick it up, it will be on PC for that reason. It is just a bit weird seeing this pushed as negative news when there is nothing negative about it.
It's not being pushed as negative news, it's just persecution complex for no damn reason.

Killjoy-NL

If that's true and the industry as a whole is moving in that direction, that'll mean...

(can't say it out loud, the half of GAF will come for me then)
There is zero chance that the console-demographic will collectively move to PC gaming for the foreseeable future.

And console-exclusivity will always be important to Playstation and especially Nintendo.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Word came down. If it's successful, push day one narrative. If it isn't, Playstation GaaS bad. Meanwhile, Playstation gamers just want xbox players to join the fun at a 30%(anonymous) clip

Narrative²

ProtoByte

Shocker.
GaaS is always going to have a higher ceiling on PC. Especially with accurate player count bandwagonning.

onQ123

Can someone explain why the other threads devolved into people arguing about PC versus ps sales?

Just saw pages of arguments and my eyes glazed over. Who is upset about a larger player base?

I didn't see people complaining about cheating which seems like the biggest concern BTW ps and PC games working together.

Just seems like a really weird thing to argue about as a Playstation lover.
With Xbox falling behind it seems there is a push to put PlayStation up against PC it's weird but it's been going on for the last few years but it's now being pushed into high gear.

reinking

Gold Member
It's not being pushed as negative news, it's just persecution complex for no damn reason.
Maybe? I do not remember a lot of comparisons between other console exclusive titles vs PC player counts but I have the memory of a goldfish. Maybe Halo Infinite? Either way, the game is doing well on both platforms. I really do need to pick it up and see what all of the fuss is about.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I honestly don’t know what the big deal is. It’s the same game. Its not helldivers vs starfield. Its helldivers vs helldivers. Who cares where it sells more? lol

If anything I’d be upset if i was a ps5 owner paying $85 a year for ps+ and unable to login because us PC gamers are hogging all the servers. But even then I’d expect them to be mad at Sony for not allocating more servers for paying ps+ customers and ps5 owners, not at PC gamers who still paid the same price for the actual game.
Didn't you hear, PS5 owners are begging for the game to go to Xbox to help them spread democracy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom