• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gaming Industry] Helldivers 2 has sold overall, over 60% of it's sales on PC

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nah.....Dreams wouldn't have been created if they didn't care about creativity and only cared about money.
False dichotomy. The industry has always married creativity with potential gains. Dreams was greenlit just after Tearaway (2013) and Roblox rose to insane heights by 2019/2020. They missed their target but there was clearly huge market potential there.

Neofire

He's the Head of Gameindustry.biz and has access to European digital and physical sales data through GfK.
Okay I see, he has data for one Region. What about all the others? What I'm getting at how is he painting such a vivid picture of the sakes breakdowns but is messing alot of data from all the other region's.

Okay I see, he has data for one Region. What about all the others? What I'm getting at how is he painting such a vivid picture of the sakes breakdowns but is messing alot of data from all the other region's.
He only speaks for that region since that's the data he has access to, and yeah that means the OP headline is misleading. Feel free to ping a mod to request a thread title change since the platform split is indeed just for Europe and not worldwide.

Last edited:
60% of sales were on PC, that's the bottom line. I'm not the one who ran towards Palworld numbers, OnQ asked I guess in an attempt to wash out the fact that PC is selling more than consoles now and turn this into a battle against Xbox.

Nope. 60% of sales the first week were pc, 50/50 since then.
Context matters.

Last edited:

yurinka

Never seen this graph before. It's funny that people like to ignore the fact that Sony's SP games are making MASSIVE profits (ROI is between 40% and 75%) per year for Sony. Even if you pay attention to this graph the only years Insomiac is NOT making a profit is in the years they aren't releasing a game.

Makes you wonder why people seem to think less SP games will be better for Sony though. That way of thinking makes literally no sense.
Well, Sony doesn't plan to release less SP games. They have a record number of games under development, being the majority of them non-GaaS (SP) and plan to increase their investment in non-GaaS (so SP) games from now the current FY23 to FY25. Not sure if beyond too because the public graph they shown only covered until that year.

Yes, some like Destruction All Stars, The Last Guardian or others may have tanked (today needing more people, time and budget may be an issue), but in general they should be profitable. Even more considering the PC ports, which cost a couple millions and make some dozen millions of dollars.

Last edited:
Never seen this graph before. It's funny that people like to ignore the fact that Sony's SP games are making MASSIVE profits (ROI is between 40% and 75%) per year for Sony. Even if you pay attention to this graph the only years Insomiac is NOT making a profit is in the years they aren't releasing a game.

Makes you wonder why people seem to think less SP games will be better for Sony though. That way of thinking makes literally no sense.
Where did you get that ROI figure of 40-75% for SP? Recently I made a quick chart on actual ROI for Sony's G&NS segment and it has not been that high. Are you implying that non SP games and other services have much lower ROI hence bringing overall segment ROI lower?
ZFbUtGN.jpg

TRSEibo.png

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Where did you get that ROI figure of 40-75% for SP? Recently I made a quick chart on actual ROI for Sony's G&NS segment and it has not been that high. Are you implying that non SP games and other services have much lower ROI hence bringing overall segment ROI lower?

That was from Insomniac's games only. I was using them as an example since they put out the most games and they've all been SP games. That chart above includes Network and Services costs too.

DryvBy

Who cares? Every other PS game sells 10s of millions on PS and 2m on PC. This is why Sony knows what they're doing. They keep value on PS with single player but know they can expand life and value by extending multiplayer on both.

Who cares? Every other PS game sells 10s of millions on PS and 2m on PC. This is why Sony knows what they're doing. They keep value on PS with single player but know they can expand life and value by extending multiplayer on both.
Every worried PS fanboy cares.. obviously.

Killjoy-NL

It speaks to a shifting market. Many people don't want to see a shifting market.

Lots of people are worried about the rise of GAAS and the diminishing value of consoles. Helldivers 2 makes those worries more of a reality.
There is no shift in market.

Neither console nor PC will replace one another.
Both have vastly different demographics that are not going to jump ship, regardless of what happens. This has always been the case and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm not going down this absurd rabbit hole with you.
You asked but you didn't like the answer.

There is no shift in market.

Neither console nor PC will replace one another.
Both have vastly different demographics that are not going to jump ship, regardless of what happens. This has always been the case and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.
Obviously the market is shifting. There's no such thing as a market that doesn't shift.

The reason why PlayStation is putting its games on PC today is because it's not 2001, when the PC market was irrelevant.

The bigger the PC market gets, the harder and harder it becomes for PlayStation to treat it as a tertiary market.

Killjoy-NL

You asked but you didn't like the answer.

Obviously the market is shifting. There's no such thing as a market that doesn't shift.

The reason why PlayStation is putting its games on PC today is because it's not 2001, when the PC market was irrelevant.

The bigger the PC market gets, the harder and harder it becomes for PlayStation to treat it as a tertiary market.
PC and consoles have always co-existed without any problems to marketshare.
It isn't much different now.

Unless you want to take Xbox as example, but their situation doesn't change anything, because the majority of their installbase which is leaving is just moving to Playstation.

Aces High

Let's see...

Helldivers 2 PC: $40

Helldivers 2 PS5: $40 + $70/year online scam

So in a 7 year console generation, console players pay $500 extra just to play their PlayStation games online while PC gamers can play online for free.

Let's see...

So in a 7 year console generation, console players pay $500 extra just to play their PlayStation games online while PC gamers can play online for free.
OR, people are already signed up for a service that provides them with 36 games a year, (or a rotating library of about 400 games), and that's where their friends are, so why not buy the game there? But yeah, for people who mainly own a PlayStation for single player exclusives, it makes sense that they'd buy it on PC. I also don't think 60% is anything to be especially proud of or ashamed of. It's selling a lot of copies everywhere.

tusharngf

Let's see...

PC that could run that game also costs more so it's balanced.

Aces High

Paying $70 every year just so you can play your purchased games online is a scam.

This will get more obvious with every online game that SIE releases on PC.

MP PC is full of cheaters

It's a crossplay game.

So PC cheaters are using the same infrastructure that console gamers are paying for.

Paying $70 every year just so you can play your purchased games online is a scam.

This will get more obvious with every online game that SIE releases on PC.

It's a crossplay game.

So PC cheaters are using the same infrastructure that console gamers are paying for.
I'm taking in general.

Top Bottom