• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition launching on May 14

FunkMiller

Gold Member
D63-FC93-B-86-BF-47-B6-8610-B669-A7-D3-A7-AC.png

Been playing the game for about five hours today on Ps5. This is bullshit. Load times are extremely short.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
yeah they're better :) and there's literally twice as many of them + a completely newly developed MP only game based roughly on Halo 2 MP... roughly as in only the Maps are really Halo 2, but it doesn't play at all like it and even the weapon balancing is completely new (which is good, Halo 2's weapons were weirdly balanced)
Better at what?

Banned
How about characters and story? This is an RPG, not an fps. If your all about Halo I'm sure there's a thread for that.

bad game mechanics are bad game mechanics, doesn't matter what genre. FFXIII could have the best story in the world, wouldn't change that it is a terribly designed POS tho. that's true for every game

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
bad game mechanics are bad game mechanics, doesn't matter what genre. FFXIII could have the best story in the world, wouldn't change that it is a terribly designed POS tho. that's true for every game
I don't agree that it has "bad" game mechanics. Even if it does its world, dialogue, and characters more than makeup for it. This is certainly not something I could say for Halo.

Hugare

Uncharted trilogy was at least better remastered and cheaper.
I love ME games. Some of my favs but this is just too expensive for little effort and butchered miranda
Better remastered? How so?

They uped the resolution to 1080p, put cutscene models into gameplay and bumped the fps to 60. Wow, such effort.

Not to mentio: three 10h games for $60. With no aditional DLC.

Compared to what Bioware did to Mass Effect 1? Changing gameplay, changing lighting, making lots of QoL changes. Including all DLC for the whole trilogy.

"Butchering Miranda" tells me everything about your opinion.

Being salty about them changing camera position in one dialogue cutscene and calling it "butchering"

Her ass size is still the same, horny boy

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Was able to get a solid 6 hours in today.

ME1 definitely shows it's age despite the remaster, but for a game from 2007 it looks amazing and plays amazing. No bugs to report. Absolutely worth the $60 of you are a fan of the series. It's insane value.

Mass Effect never had good gameplay, I know when I first started playing Returnal I thought to myself how much better ME would be if it felt like that to play instead of slow and boring but there are people who absolutely love these games and they aren't wrong for it.

Nobody_Important

Early steam reviews dont look promising.
Having played it all day today I can vouch for it being fine. There are no game breaking bugs (on PlayStation at least) and the games look great. Especially Mass Effect 1. For a game from 2007 it has no right to play and look as well as it does.

Plus Steam reviews are hardly a measure of excellence when it comes to major titles these days. Especially ones with a divisive history like Mass Effect. And the kids who are butthurt about the camera adjustments when it comes to stuff like Miranda's ass are not helping matters. I have seen more than a few chudwagons bragging on Twitter and Reddit that they are review bombing the game just because they dared to be a bit more mature with ME2.

Last edited:

Wvrs

Loving this. I haven't played the trilogy since ME3 first released. And it's my first-time as FemShep. I'm playing Paragade (kind to my crew, bitch to the galaxy) and having a blast so far.

One thing I didn't remember is how ... shallow companions are in ME1. They're still good characters, but feels more like KOTOR than the fully fleshed out, almost-living beings of the sequels.

Patrick S.

Banned
So they changed the camera angles during dialogues and/or cutscenes so that I don't get offended by a digital ass, removed the Renegade options, removed DLC they managed to lose source code for, and messed with the red sky of the first planet you visit? And they changed the gameplay of Mass Effect 1, which was always fine the way it was?

Nah man, I have the games on PS3, Xbox and PC already. I have the physical collector's editions for all three games, that btw come with almost none of the DLC (well, the DLC was on the disc, but you had to pay the price of the game again so they let you access it), and they weren't cheap. I paid for the DLC pack on the PS3 when it was on sale for €20 or so, and "downloaded" the DLC for the PC when it came out. That's enough for me.

I'm still happy for the people who are playing this for the first time, because, warts and all, these are my favourite games of all time. Even though apparently they are getting a watered down and censored version.

Last edited:
Experienced a few minor bugs later on in ME1 that were solved by throwing down a save and restarting the application. One thing I noticed are that none of the facial animations in the game were touched up, and good lord are there some wooden faces with crazy eyes on minor characters later on in the game.

The internal affairs agent on Noveria looked like AOC in the eyes to the point where I thought she was going to start talking about social equity.

Plus Steam reviews are hardly a measure of excellence when it comes to major titles these days. Especially ones with a divisive history like Mass Effect. And the kids who are butthurt about the camera adjustments when it comes to stuff like Miranda's ass are not helping matters. I have seen more than a few chudwagons bragging on Twitter and Reddit that they are review bombing the game just because they dared to be a bit more mature with ME2.
U wot m8?

Rudimentary graphics options, no FOV slider, forced mouse acceleration, no 21:9 support... these are all signs of a lazy PC port. The superficial updates certainly don't warrant a $60 price-tag on these decade old games, especially if parts have been altered to cater to modern audiences.
It's alright for people who haven't played the game, but for everybody else it's just a cash-grab.

There's certainly enough to criticize about this "remaster" so keep your disgusting snooty condescending attitude to yourself.

Last edited:

TheMan

Just finished eden prime and yeah ME1 still feels janky. I heard they cleaned this up so I expected it to feel more modern. Maybe it does compared to the OG which I haven’t played in a decade, but yeah I’m gonna have to get used to this...

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

U wot m8?

Rudimentary graphics options, no FOV slider, forced mouse acceleration, no 21:9 support... these are all signs of a lazy PC port. The superficial updates certainly don't warrant a $60 price-tag on these decade old games, especially if parts have been altered to cater to modern audiences.
It's alright for people who haven't played the game, but for everybody else it's just a cash-grab.

There's certainly enough to criticize about this "remaster" so keep your disgusting snooty condescending attitude to yourself.
Yeah the hostility isn't warranted. You need to chill out. It's game and people have opinions. I played all day and spoke to my experience. Sorry if it didn't live up to your own personal opinion. And nothing I said was condescending? Unless I missed something. I was just making a joke about the people who flipped out over the Miranda Ass-Cam being removed.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

I dunno, that's how I interpret some posts in this thread, about punching the reporter, for example. I might be wrong?
The reporter thing has not even be confirmed. And I have noticed no changes at all in my playthrough as far as renegade choices go.

It's just the usual overreaction and rumor mill.

How’s that hype looking now? I said back in February that I wasn’t impressed with what was on offer for the price and I stand corrected. I’m happy people are having their fun but this wasn’t the collection Mass Effect deserved.

Nobody_Important

That's good to hear. Chances of me getting this rising.
Let me put it this way. Only look at this of you play ME1 and are okay with spoilers.

At the beginning on Eden Prime where there is the mentally ill scientist in the container whose partner says he has always been mentally ill? The one that is constantly rambling about doom and extinction?

You still have the renegade option to knock his crazy as out. So it's not like they have suddenly bubble wrapped the whole game.

It's just the usual nonsense on release.

Last edited:

WoJ

The reporter thing has not even be confirmed. And I have noticed no changes at all in my playthrough as far as renegade choices go.

It's just the usual overreaction and rumor mill.
There are YouTube videos of FemShep punching the reporter in 2 and 3 supposedly in LE. So yeah, until confirmed I'm not buying it either.

EA hooked it up today with a Review copy for the PlayStation (Playing it on PS5) They are installing right now, super stoked. One of my most favorite franchises! Probably gonna be a week or so until the review is posted, 3 games and that's a lot too cover. Do not think I will attempt to finish them all in that as it is very difficult for me with the time I have. Review will mostly focus on playability, performance and just overall changes. These games have been out for years, no real reason to finish them to the end. Same games, new code of paint/visual
IaoNNhr.jpg
ihyg879.jpg

Last edited:
Played a few hours of the first game this evening as I never played it originally (technically played it but it was so janky and I had already played the sequel and I quit after like 2 hours), but 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and it’s still rough.

Its still very much a game from 2007 or whatever. Which is fine, but I have no nostalgia for it and mainly got it for 2.

I‘ll give it a bit more time but I think I’m just going to skip ahead to 2 again.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The game runs on BC

So its not optimized for PS5's SSD.

It loads just like the PS4 Pro.

This is the ElAnalistadeBits video

Seeing some posts here, I dont know if people pretend to be this dumb or they simply is (not talking about you, Fredrik)

So many people comparing it to the Saints Row remake, Demons Souls remake ...

Some other saying that the original from looks better on PC (probably havent played it since 2007)

Some really embarassing stuff
Thanks, watched it now. Insanely fast loading, crispy visuals, solid 60fps. Good stuff! Sad to see drops in fps boost mode though, would’ve been awesome at solid 120fps.

Heads up to all, ElAnalistadeBits made a good 360 vs XSX video too which people on the fence should check out. No console war there, just shows a lot of design changes and the improvements over the original. Not sure I can post the link if he’s banned so just go to his Youtube channel.

As for the changes, it’s a bit hit and miss designwise for me, some scenes somehow looks less dramatic now. But all in all as a fan I can’t come to any other conclusion than that this is how it should be played if it’s time for a replay. I see that Steam reviews are rising too now, mostly positive, mods should fix most issues so for me it’s just living room vs computer room at this point, not sure what to do yet.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
These are remastered. Good god, have you not read a single thing? 4K/60 and/or 1440p 120 fps?!

How the fuck is that not a pretty legit upgrade?
Uncharted are also remasters and we're bumped to maximum of that gen, which is 1080p60.

How the fuck is that not a pretty legit upgrade?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Better remastered? How so?

They uped the resolution to 1080p, put cutscene models into gameplay and bumped the fps to 60. Wow, such effort.

Not to mentio: three 10h games for $60. With no aditional DLC.

Compared to what Bioware did to Mass Effect 1? Changing gameplay, changing lighting, making lots of QoL changes. Including all DLC for the whole trilogy.

"Butchering Miranda" tells me everything about your opinion.

Being salty about them changing camera position in one dialogue cutscene and calling it "butchering"

Her ass size is still the same, horny boy
1080p60 was maximum of that gen. We're you expecting 4k120 on ps4?
Upgraded models, textures and many objects geometry and lighting. Especially first game.
I don't think it was 60 usd was it? No matter.
Did not butchered any asses.

Anyway. The reason that uncharted trilogy remasters is lower effort because these games don't have dlc or are shorter is bullshit. Game length has nothing to do with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1080p60 was maximum of that gen. We're you expecting 4k120 on ps4?
Upgraded models, textures and many objects geometry and lighting. Especially first game.
I don't think it was 60 usd was it? No matter.
Did not butchered any asses.

Anyway. The reason that uncharted trilogy remasters is lower effort because these games don't have dlc or are shorter is bullshit. Game length has nothing to do with it.
ME Legendary is a much bigger bump than the Uncharted remasters. Higher res, higher frames more content.

How can you disagree with that?

Rikkori

U wot m8?

You gotta put these corpo bootlickers on ignore bro, it's not worth the effort. They don't just accept getting fed slop, they relish it. The simpitude is a more virulent epidemic than the actual epidemic.

Fredrik

You gotta put these corpo bootlickers on ignore bro, it's not worth the effort. They don't just accept getting fed slop, they relish it. The simpitude is a more virulent epidemic than the actual epidemic.
1500+ reviews on Steam and rising, still with the mostly positive tag showing. Lots of corpo bootlickers out there!
/s

Seriously, the few negative reviews are mostly focused on UI and control related issues. Doesn’t mean they don’t matter but Bioware should be able to fix this easily. And if they aren’t then I’m pretty sure modders will do it. Just sit back and watch what happens, things will very likely turn out well in the end.

Yeah the hostility isn't warranted. You need to chill out. It's game and people have opinions. I played all day and spoke to my experience. Sorry if it didn't live up to your own personal opinion. And nothing I said was condescending? Unless I missed something. I was just making a joke about the people who flipped out over the Miranda Ass-Cam being removed.
Hostility? You were the one calling everybody who disliked the changes "chudwagons" and "butthurt". I'm sorry if the gaming proles don't live up to your expectation, but I do understand where the criticism is coming from. Nobody is complaining that ME are bad games, but the remaster is pretty lackluster for its triple AAA price-tag.

Also I think the remaster sets a bad precedent of adapting content to modern-day sensitivities. People didn't like it when Lukas changed up his SW movies, so why shouldn't consumers be suspicious of BioWare doing the same? Nobody asked for these changes, so clearly it was BioWare who made a big deal out of this, not the other way around.

Also, for a full-priced release I'd expect some modern-day functionality, like FOV sliders and decent graphics settings. Updating the textures, making slight changes to gameplay for the first part and adding some effects and shaders isn't really all that appealing to people who already own and played the whole series. You'd at least expect M&K support as good as the original, but you can't even rebind some keys as the space bar now shares multiple functions. It's a good deal for new players, but not so much for everyone else.

So no need to be so patronizing towards those, who don't share the hype, not all of them are "butthurt kids".

Last edited:
Top Bottom