• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 is the worst 3d mario kart

You're done because I'm right and you are lying/being disingenuous. Not for any other reason. Don't be a scrub with johns.

No I'm done because you don't even actually refute my arguments, or bring new arguments to the table, other than "you're wrong", which isn't an argument at all.

See, if you look at my discussion with OP, we actually were exchanging arguments, and I think we pretty much agreed to disagree (not to speak for the OP here, but it seemed that way to me) because, you know, personal preferences and tastes. He didn't like MK8, I didn't like DD, whatever, it's all good fun.

Then you storm in and immediately start with "omg what an idiot, I'm gonna have to set him straight", and almost the entirety of your argument is shitting on me at how stupid I apparently must be. You even played the "Have you even played the game?" and "You never had any friends, how sad" cards, and then proceeded to call me a liar and "not being able to listen to reason" when I tried to actually respond to your points with arguments of my own.
In fact, out of my response to you, you specifically only cherrypicked the Big Banana line, and instead of giving a proper argument, you played the "git gud" card and proceeded to say that you won't even bother having a debate with me because I'm such a moron. Also, to add to that particular point - very few people are on a level in Double Dash to have the ability to use items so well that they can become unavoidable. You seem to be thinking that everybody plays Double Dash on a competitive level or in a competitive mindset. This is wrong.

Obviously, a guy who spent over 1k hours of his life playing this game he really enjoys will jump to its defense, and I can't fault you for liking Double Dash, but I definitely can fault you for being a complete and utter dick about it.

Also, to the OP: I'm sorry this has to happen in your thread. I wanted to have a bit of a discussion about Mario Kart and the perception of Double Dash with you, and we had it, but then this jerkoff had to come in and be a prick.
I liked our exchange for what it's worth.

I came here to be like "ohohoho OP...you have stepped in it, now. Wrong! Wrongo! Wrong, wrong, wrong."

Then I read it.

Ok, so, you're basically right, OP.

Where we differ, is I still have a blast with the game, and like it, despite it's flaws.

However, if the flaws listed here, in very thorough detail, are dealbreakers for OP, then by that measure, I can't really disagree, I disliked almost all the same things and frankly, a few other big flaws not even mentioned.

Conclusion, I still really like the game, but very much respect this post.
We don't even differ there either. Like I said in my op, I can still have fun with the game, I just hate that this is what the series has come to and find it vastly inferior to its predecessors.

Daouzin

No I'm done because you don't even actually refute my arguments, or bring new arguments to the table, other than "you're wrong", which isn't an argument at all.

I shut down the "arguments" that I could and your reply was, "your mean," doesn't sound like I couldn't do it, sounds like you couldn't.

Anyway MK Wii is trash and DD is the best. MK 8 is pretty good too.

<3

KrawlMan

Its interesting to look at in the cutscene before the race starts, but when you actually play it all you see is a long, straightforward road with wide turns that have a few goombas on it that require you to move your car a few feet left or right to avoid. Its trash, like most Mario kart 8 tracks.

The track itself is still intended to be one of the more basic tracks in the game, and this is an appropriate visual twist on an otherwise simple course.

Do you find tracks like cloudtop cruise and electrodome unimaginative?

I'm sorry you that way, but I disagree. For a series with a lot of "meh" entries all things considered (7, Wii, Super Circuit) I find 8 to be refreshing and polished and just so gosh darned fun to play. It's the best Mario kart has been.

Also 64 hasn't aged very gracefully... it was a great game in 1998 bit in 2016 the frame rate with more than 2 players is borderline unplayable... I stick with Double Dash for a fun battle mode (don't really like DDs racing but it's battle mode rips) and 8 for literally everything else. My favorite Mario kart hands down.

The track itself is still intended to be one of the more basic tracks in the game, and this is an appropriate visual twist on an otherwise simple course.

Do you find tracks like cloudtop cruise and electrodome unimaginative?
I do not find them lacking in imagination. They are spectacular to behold. What I contend is that they both bore me to tears. Cloudtop cruise is wide, straightforward with wiiiide turns you can see coming from years away, and easy to avoid hazards like the thunder and barrels. The only challenging part of that whole track is when you drift onto the leaf to get a trick boost in before the finish line. I had to set someone straight on electrodome before and I will quote my thoughts on it here.
Electrodome is one of the best ever are you kidding me. You race in a straight line the whole time except for a branching path antigrav segment, and there are no hazards at all. It is the archetypal boring as fuck, terrible Mario kart 8 track. You would probably get a heart attack if you played GBA bowsers castle 3 on Wii or rainbow road from double dash

MK battle mode has sucked since MK64.

In every other aspect 8 is one of the best Kart racers ever. Great courses, great music, great modes.

dtm808

OP is high if he thinks the tracks are boring and prefers the total item imbalance of previous games. The mechanics and controls are tight, it runs buttery smooth, and do i even have to mention the incredible $8 DLC packs and 200CC? Plz.

oSoLucky

me and my family enjoyed sonic all star racing A LOT more.

I agree. Maybe SASRT is why I hve such distaste for MK8, but either way, Sonic is in a different league to me at this point. It felt like MK8 was just more of the same game that I've been playing for 20 years. The AI in the games has always been super easy also, to where I only lose to the complete horseshit rubberbanding mechanics that so many people seemingly find fun(that's my chief complaint with the series as a whole, and why SMK is still my favorite). SASRT had moderate difficulty to me, though some of the gimmick events got tiring after a while, and you could actively counter every single power-up.

I do feel the same way OP, except for completely different reasons.

As somebody who didn't like Mario Kart GBA, was luke-warm about Double Dash, and hated a lot of the design decisions in DS and Wii, Mario Kart 8 is currently my favorite Mario Kart game. It has dethroned Mario Kart 64.

The only thing that would make it better would be more singleplayer stuff to do, like the missions the Sonic Racing games get.

Mario kart 8 is amazing. It's got the best soundtrack and it runs butter smooth, I've only played it online tho. I hated the Wii one. DS was the best tho

TLZ

Banned
Seems like OP is basing his/her entire experience on online. Too frustrated I guess.

But sorry I disagree about anything not online related since I've hardly touched online. Its a fantastic game offline for me.

Z..

It has dethroned Mario Kart 64.

I see this alot and I don't understand. Why did people like MK64? Battle mode is awesome but the tracks and the gameplay are huge stinkers and I'm not saying this retroactively, I thought it handled poorly at the time too. Starting with DD MK has become one of my fav racers.

Battle mode is shit. Everything else is the best Mario Kart. This reads like kotaku click bait. Well articulated rocks thrown to the beehive.

Jacobi

Banned
OP, I agree. Biggest minus points for me are the wide tracks, useless gimmicks (water and gravity) and lame items. And NO FUCKING PROPER Battle Mode.

Xenoblade

MKDS was the best one. Snaking allowed for greater differentiation between skilled players. The truly good players usually won. Not so in many of the other Mario Karts.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Naw son.

Of course I think everyone can agree Battle mode is pure unadulterated shite.

But as far as tracks, item distribution and just plain joy to play factor... MK8 is the best in the series by a mile.

farisr

It's the only I liked playing enough to buy it. So much so, that I racked up over 400+ hours of game time with my friends.

Absolutely one of my favorite games of this generation.

So much hyperbole by both sides here. Mario Kart 8 is very good, but it's far from perfect. It's also one of the least daring installments in the series, so here's hoping they really mix it up in 9

Menitta

Hey what's goin on in he-

tZOS8.gif

royox

Op was wrong in a lot of things but everything he said about the items is true. That ruined the game for me.

Kindekuma

Banned
8 has a really weak roster (unless you get some of the DLC characters) compared to Double Dash or Mario Kart DS. But 8 is a phenomenal title.

Davey Cakes

I have to agree on tracks being too wide.
I always kind of thought this too. Made the game appear like it was designed for beginners (even though it's never easy when you're facing competent opponents).

I wouldn't mind Nintendo tightening that up a bit next time.

Other than that, the only things that drag MK8 down for me are the lack of good Single Player modes and the lack of an even remotely competent battle mode. The racing and track designs are so damn good that the game ended up being amazing anyway just on its multiplayer racing component. I'd easily elevate it above MKDD and MKWii (my previous favorite) because it just feels so great to play, offers a decent amount of customization, and has crazy track diversity.

Baby Park instead of Wario Coliseum was still a very sad choice.

The items in mario kart have always been horrible. The gimmick of gifting instead of giving you what you land on is always cheap as hell

I always wanted to get it by skill

I don't comment on GAF very often, but I'm gonna have to go ahead and completely disagree with the original poster here, as well. I agree Battle Mode is awful, but everything else is better than every other MK that came before it.

PK Gaming

I actually agree with all of your points, but like others have pointed out the game is still super fun in spite of them

Mario Kart Wii is also hot garbage. That game was trash.

I think all of your criticisms of 8 are valid, I just disagree that it makes 8 worse than Mario Kart Wii.

I think Wii is the weakest Mario Kart since Super Circuit. Bottom two installments. I like 8 more than DS and 7, but less than 64 and DD. DD is my all time favorite, but it's because I had three best friends who all had Gamecubes, and we spent thousands of hours playing All Cup Tour in DD. So for me, I freely admit it's the nostalgia talking. But I do have to say... I still feel strongly that Mario Kart would greatly benefit nowadays from having double item blocks back, and bringing back the manual turbo boost while drifting. Reward the skilled players, don't treat them like noobs :)

Sojiro

Can't agree with you at all OP. While the Battle mode is a big disappointment, the racing is fucking spot on, and I love the tracks for the game. To each their own though.

I think Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 are better games than Mario Kart 8 and I agree with what you said in the OP. I don't think it's the worst, but I'm not sure why people love this game so much. It looks and sounds great, but it's really just not that interesting to me in terms of mechanics or course design. Anti-Grav is primarily just about looks, Mario Kart TV is a forgettable addition, the items aren't balanced in a particularly fun way, the characters are boring, battle mode sucks, and it really just doesn't feel as good as some of the old games. Even multiplayer isn't as solid and cohesive as it has been.

None of that's to say it's a bad game. Sometimes I like to play it just to take in how great the variety of courses look, and online is lagless, so it's a fun time. But I had zero-urge to 3-star all the cups in this game like I have with all past Mario Karts. I just didn't care enough about this game to bother, which speaks volumes to me.

Top Bottom